Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 07:21:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] BFL 4 GH/s Chips - .06 btc per chip (batch 29)  (Read 44294 times)
CanaryInTheMine (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 04:41:00 AM

price per chip set to 0.67 btc
CanaryInTheMine (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 04:47:12 AM

BFL has sent me sample chips... I have made solid arrangements to provide some to a PCB designer to begin testing.
ryanb
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 05:11:35 AM

BFL has sent me sample chips... I have made solid arrangements to provide some to a PCB designer to begin testing.

Thats great news

https://bitcoinfundingteam.com/ref/SatoshiTeam
turn 0.1 BTC to 80BTC week after week!!!
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 02:45:16 AM

At some point, it would be interesting to have some upper and lower estimates on delivered circuit board cost.  Clearly that would be highly volume dependent and I'd expect the designers and guys that handle the mft to make a profit.  I used to do this and know how it is.

Cost range would be nice KNOWING it's only a crude guess.
CanaryInTheMine (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 03:11:54 AM

At some point, it would be interesting to have some upper and lower estimates on delivered circuit board cost.  Clearly that would be highly volume dependent and I'd expect the designers and guys that handle the mft to make a profit.  I used to do this and know how it is.

Cost range would be nice KNOWING it's only a crude guess.
sample boards are getting ordered tomorrow and then assembled with the sample chips for testing...
once testing is completed, we'll have some idea on pricing...
CanaryInTheMine (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 03:14:54 AM

This group buy has bee PAUSED.  No chips are available for purchase from this group buy.
Will resume after the board being designed is tested.
ryanb
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 04:45:04 AM

This group buy has bee PAUSED.  No chips are available for purchase from this group buy.
Will resume after the board being designed is tested.

I cannot wait to see what we will have Smiley

we might have our asic before BFL ships my singles.

https://bitcoinfundingteam.com/ref/SatoshiTeam
turn 0.1 BTC to 80BTC week after week!!!
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 05:36:49 AM

Chris99 at BFL forum is quoting a price of $240 per board which will accept up to 8 chips. I just sent him my sample chips for testing. I think the more BFL clone options we have the better...

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/3831-board-bfl-chips-group-buy-chips.html

Lucko

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 06:40:03 AM

Chris99 at BFL forum is quoting a price of $240 per board which will accept up to 8 chips. I just sent him my sample chips for testing. I think the more BFL clone options we have the better...

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/3831-board-bfl-chips-group-buy-chips.html

Yes but I think it will not work with more then 4... They are using BFL Jalapeno board with no changes from what I can see. Not that we are taking much different route... But we did modify power supply to handle 50% more... And the price is a good deal for them Smiley If BFL send this board with housing, 2 chips and power supply for 273$... And you can get it 25% off...
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 06:42:56 AM

I trust lucko

dwdoc
Legendary

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 06:50:14 AM

My understanding is the $240 includes just the board cost and chip installation. Cooling installation cost is about $30. Chip cost and psu not included. Also his board has not been tested yet.
dwdoc
Legendary

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 06:52:13 AM

I have requested 70 sample chips already.
Out of curiosity how did you do it? Mail? Do you have any direct phone number? I can't get replay from them even after ordering 200 chips...

Lucko, have you got your sample chips yet? If not pm me for contact info.
Lucko

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 08:22:33 AM
Last edit: July 18, 2013, 08:43:44 PM by Lucko

Yesterday I got a conformation that I'm in line for them... The problem is that it should be shipped already. But we are not at point where this is a real problem since we are still finalize the BOM for the board(BFL didn't give the full list). And there is a small problem with automatic pick and place that is just not accurate enough for mounting this ASIC chips. So we are currently looking for a different solution... It will probably had to be done with manual pick and place unit... I have no idea why this is more accurate but I believe the experts know what they are talking about...

In case we need them I will send you a msg... For now I'm in line for 6 of them but to see full board working 2 more would help. And some might end up "destroy"... They can't be removed from the board once mounted...

EDIT: If you know about someone who did BOM for BFL plate can you send me his way...
CanaryInTheMine (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 07:13:42 AM

This is interesting:

http://www.geek.com/chips/usb-3-5-set-to-arrive-in-early-2014-with-10gbps-transfer-speeds-1558005/

http://www.geek.com/chips/upcoming-usb-superspeed-3-0-will-let-you-ditch-the-power-adapter-1552834/
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 07:17:45 AM

At those watts I'd rather use dedicated psu than get a 2000 watt psu.

chris99

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 04:19:20 PM

Yes but I think it will not work with more then 4... They are using BFL Jalapeno board with no changes from what I can see. Not that we are taking much different route... But we did modify power supply to handle 50% more... And the price is a good deal for them Smiley If BFL send this board with housing, 2 chips and power supply for 273$... And you can get it 25% off...

Hi Lucko,

Thank you for your comment.

We use BFL's Single board which it can mount up to 8 chips.

The microcontroller connects all the ASIC in parallel. Also, Voltage specification for every chip is same
and current requirement is 100mA max. Means, in the peak load, the chips will draw 800 (8X100 mA),
thus no reason to increase power supply. I am sure that know that increasing the power supply,
sometimes, has a risk to fry the chips.

Boards cost $240 each including mounting of the chips, but without cooling system. I believe that it is one of the most
competitive prices in the market, considering how sophisticated and expensive is the manufacturing of the boards plus the
assembly cost of the ASICs which needs specific requirements and it is very risky for damaging these delicate chips to be done by hand.

More info
here:   https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/3831-board-bfl-chips-group-buy-chips.html

Soon we will upload a photo of our boards!
Next week, boards will be ready and then they will need few more days for the assembly and the mounting of the sample chips.

Cheers,

Chris

CanaryInTheMine (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 04:42:10 PM

Hi Lucko,

The microcontroller connects all the ASIC in parallel. Also, Voltage specification for every chip is same
and current requirement is 100mA max. Means, in the peak load, the chips will draw 800 (8X100 mA),
thus no reason to increase power supply. I am sure that know that increasing the power supply,

Boards cost $240 each including mounting of the chips, but without cooling system. I believe that it is one of the most
competitive prices in the market, considering how sophisticated and expensive is the manufacturing of the boards plus the
assembly cost of the ASICs which needs specific requirements and it is very risky for damaging these delicate chips to be done by hand.

More info
here:   https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/3831-board-bfl-chips-group-buy-chips.html

Next week, boards will be ready and then they will need few more days for the assembly and the mounting of the sample chips.

Cheers,

Chris

If you are indeed just taking the board that BFL released and think you will just plop 8 chips on it, you're gonna fail and upset alot of people who you're trying to get to spend money with you.
you need to do your research.
chris99

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 04:55:12 PM

Hi Lucko,

More info

Cheers,

Chris

If you are indeed just taking the board that BFL released and think you will just plop 8 chips on it, you're gonna fail and upset alot of people who you're trying to get to spend money with you.
you need to do your research.

Thanks for the comment.
I absolutely agree with you, that the board that BFL released nobody can manufacture it as it is, as many pieces of the puzzle are missing.

We used BFL's design with some modifications. We are a group of engineers working in that project during the last month
and we have a lot of experience and facilities in the place we work to manage this project. The boards are already in the manufacturer
and we are waiting for both sample chips and boards to test them together and upload a video of our results.

Cheers,

Chris

Lucko

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 07:54:59 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2013, 08:08:18 PM by Lucko

Last time you told on BFL formu that you are using slightly modified(from picture looked the same) board BFL relised but that is not Single but Jalapeno... And as far as I know BFL failed to use it for anything else then Jalapeno. As far as I know they don't use it in a Single. And Single is 16 chip board not 8... Huh

EDIT: You are lucky that you only have 2 chips Smiley It will work...

chris99

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 09:56:41 PM

Thanks for your comment.

You dont have to modify the PCB, which is in the picture.
The PCB is the same for boards from 1-8 chips.
The components are different and we modified them accordingly.

Our board is designed to work with up to 8 chips.
Singles have 16 chips as you very well said and mini singles have 8. 

Cooling will be challenging as they are many asics in close proximity, but
with the right cooling system can be managed successfully.

Cheers,

Chris

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: