Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 05:09:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why aren't there more women in Bitcoin?  (Read 5903 times)
tententen

Activity: 109
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:01:52 PM

Take a look around the crypto community, both in meatspace and online, and it would be fair to say that the majority of participants are male. This is borne out in a recent survey of 2,000 Americans which shed light on the makeup of the bitcoin space, highlighting a stark gender divide. In fact Google Analytics data estimates less than 4% of bitcoin users to be female. The question is, why?

Source: https://news.bitcoin.com/why-arent-there-more-women-in-bitcoin/?utm_source=Why

It's tech bro...you got about 90-95% men in all areas of tech.  The women will come later, probably after some of bitcoin's usefulness crosses over with one of their own interests.

I can attest to the fact that the gender disparity wasn't as great in 2011/2012 when silk road was booming - everyone likes drugs.  But now, its mostly just nerdy tech stuff and pump/dumps.  (guy stuff)
Adeyemi

Activity: 96

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:05:31 PM

Most women are only good at following instructions and are not self starters. Most emerging technology don't come with an easy manual that makes it easy for the little percentage of women in tech to follow. Another reason is that men take more risks than women. Women are naturally not risk takers. And you'll agree with me that Bitcoin comes with a lot of risks.
Qartersa

Activity: 868
Merit: 535

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:13:47 PM

Come on, is gender still an issue in this day and age? We always hunger for non-discriminating laws yet it is us who cause double standards. We have so much on our plates already yet we still make an issue out of gender. Hello, aren't we here yet? In the digital age? This is already 2018, people. Nonetheless, if you are just into presenting the data on hand without debasing one gender from the other, I guess it is because of the risks involved vis-a-vis the way of thinking of an individual that may be closely related to ones gender.
Hannah777

Activity: 9

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:21:11 PM

I think why we don't have much women in Bitcoin is because majority of women tend to be overprotective and not adventurous. They are afraid to take risks and that's why worldwide today, we have less women in politics and technology. Lots of women are dying silently instead of taking the bull by the horn and make change happen they feel less concerned and mostly rely on their men for support.
steffi79

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:25:04 PM

As mentioned in one of the quote, there are lot of women getting into bitcoin as well into other cryptocurrency usage. Women might find it difficult to learn, but if they get interested towards it automatically they'll innovate more through the same platform making large scale contributions.
and women also are tend to take this kind of currency and also have some patience of here in cryptocurrency , but i may know that for my opinion i think that there is a lot of men here than women this is for what i observe for cause what i actually know for is for my friends that knowing this currency.
political1907

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:29:17 PM

I think women are interested in bitcoin. But no one here shows up by saying "I am a woman". It's not necessary.

dawoodkhan97

Activity: 210

LibertyLance - Where Freelancing Meets Blockchain

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 05:54:23 PM

We should definitely have more women in the crypto space.
The reason I think they are less in numbers is because of
being involved with kids, house matters and day jobs.

These numbers are sure to increase in the next couple of years

/ / _  LibertyLance  |  First Ever Decentralized Gig Based Marketplace
ANN  Whitepaper  One Pager   ▬▬▬  SUBSCRIBE NOW  ▬▬▬   Twitter  Facebook  Telegram
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Private Sale Starts on May 29th   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BenOnceAgain

Activity: 208
Merit: 84

🌐 www.btric.org 🌐

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 06:31:34 PM

This is a problem not only on the user side, but also on the project side.  Here in the US at least, it may come from the larger "STEM" problem of women underrepresented in science fields.

My organization is working to incubate projects that will help to increase adoption of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies in underrepresented user groups, including females.  We are also committed to helping tackle the problem of less women involved at the project level.

However, by no means do I believe that Bitcoin or cryptocurrency is "sexist" or "racist".  It certainly is not.  It's a piece of software that a large number of people have agreed to all operate in order to enable a means to store and exchange value through a set of agreed-upon rules enforced in the code.  Nothing more, nothing less.

In order to foster adoption in underrepresented user groups, specific projects to focus on that user segment can have good results.  The goal is a total paradigm shift, but often focusing on smaller subgroups will help reach the "tipping point" more efficiently than broad, unfocused communications efforts.  Though those efforts have their benefits as well.

Here is a short article that our Chairwoman wrote about the diversity issue yesterday:

Title: Women, Baby Boomers, and Diversity in Cryptocurrency and Emerging Technologies
Link: https://medium.com/btric/women-baby-boomers-and-diversity-in-cryptocurrency-and-emerging-technologies-1e4b75b81237

I think it's an important initiative to focus on as we all work to increase adoption.  While adoption is so low, it's really important to have adequate strength through initiatives as well as adovacy to ensure that governments do not effectively regulate the cryptocurrency space out of reach (for projects and innovation) for anyone except the largest players.  If the end result is that only banks can issue cryptocurrency, what have we gained?  That is what we must prevent from occurring.

Best regards,
Ben

Dream it. Plan it. Build it.
Need help with your project? [MY WEBSITE] | [MY COMPANY] | [BLOG] | [TWITTER] | [LINKEDIN] | [EMAIL]
Want to help support the blockchain charity I'm building? [LEARN ABOUT BTRIC] | [DONATE] | [TWITTER] | [EMAIL]
ZloyBitcoin

Activity: 31

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 06:36:24 PM

I think in families I earn and invest money men
They are more interested in this than women
But I think bagataye ladies or female TV stars have invested their capital in bitcoin just do not talk about it
doctorbilly64

Activity: 78

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:33:32 PM

Take a look around the crypto community, both in meatspace and online, and it would be fair to say that the majority of participants are male. This is borne out in a recent survey of 2,000 Americans which shed light on the makeup of the bitcoin space, highlighting a stark gender divide. In fact Google Analytics data estimates less than 4% of bitcoin users to be female. The question is, why?

Source: https://news.bitcoin.com/why-arent-there-more-women-in-bitcoin/?utm_source=Why
In my opinion, it is possible for women to participate in Bitcoin but as men, for various reasons they are not girls, but surely men are more involved in the Bitcoin community than by their children. Boys often like to explore and make money in new ways, women also have more people to participate in Bitcoin but less than men
ivanst776
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:53:20 PM

bitcoin is anonymous and we don't know whos behind the wallet, even on bitcointalk account we don't really know whos using the account if girl or boy, if teen, kid or adult. we are all anonymous here and we cant really tell if there are stats like that.
well in my country where most girls at home and taking care of the children i probably would tell that here most bitcoin users are girls/mother. as they have more time over the net and guys here are working in office and other department.
zeingrind777

Activity: 994
Merit: 138

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:58:31 PM

I never thought if women liked the crypto world. because most women prefer about looks and fashion, and women do not really understand about the world of cryptocurrency even they are not interested to join in this
mrcash02

Activity: 1190
Merit: 525

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:02:02 PM

There aren't many women in this camp, that is a fact. Since the school it's possible to perceive informatic/technology subjects attract more men interest than women, so it's normal to have more men in Crypto-Currency world as it's related to informatic/technology. It's not about discrimination, we are just observing a fact and commenting about it, or have the political correctness patrol ever forbid talks about 'gender in Crypto-Currency world'?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
yulchatar

Activity: 910

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:06:18 PM

I think women are interested in bitcoin. But no one here shows up by saying "I am a woman". It's not necessary.

Absolutely agree with you! I think that there are many women interested in bitcoin. After all no one knows exactly who is hiding behind some nicknames - a man or a woman.
webdevmastery

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:12:44 PM

Men are more inclined to be adventurous when it comes to technology. Most women grew up in a society where tech is a 'guy thing', so it is not very surprising.

Most of the people who are connected to business are always man and because of that, the statistics says that there are more man who are linked to bitcoins rather than woman. Woman are always at home and taking care of the children and i think, that is the number one reason on why there are not that much woman who's an investor of bitcoins.
diwataluna

Activity: 224
Merit: 103

0x864E3764278C5EB211bF463034e703affEa15e4F

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:46:11 PM

I've also asked this in our local forum as it is very difficult for me to find a crypto group with many female members. It is not just in crypto but in finances in general that you observe this low participation. It could be due to risk appetite as with investment vehicles. It could also be the fact that, even in this modern age, women retain home-making roles and tasks that consume most of their time. Those I know who are into bitcoin and altcoins are either already in tech industry or have partners in tech or financial industry.
godfredmanu

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:44:18 PM

There are more women in Bitcions than you can imagine. Bitcoins transaction is anonymous , I wonder how the survey can make such conclusion that there are few women into bitcoins.

STEALTHCRYPTO        ═════•    QUANTUM MEST NETWORK   •═════  STEALTHCRYPTO
███ Quantum Secure Cryptography for data protection  ███
Telegram | Reddit | Medium | Twitter | Google plus | Facebook
dav-santoshi

Activity: 24

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:53:53 PM

Well that just the fact men are so aggressive and at that are ready to take risk, while men go for the work before the fruit, women on the other seek to see the fruit first before they can be motivated to work. Technology generally is seen as a man field and also most women believe only what they can see physically and don't believe in online stuffs they think is a scam.
#dhabitamartha

Activity: 673

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 09:55:41 PM

maybe not many women know what the usefulness of bitcoin in his life and maybe also they do not understand how to use it on the bitcoin give pleasure and to the beauty for the audience there must be coordinate in order to know what is bitcoin so men in the more eager to agree
GalahadSeika

Activity: 179

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 10:50:29 PM

In order for my answer to be accurate I interviewed my girl friends and most of them answer that they prefer scrolling through social media sites rather than posting here in bitcoin and improving their lives.. Also they said that they are too lazy and they also prefer scrolling girly things in fashions sites. Women are not inclined to technology stuff rather than men for example at an early age we men play computer games unlike girls they read books.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 »
  Print  

Jump to: