Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:33:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Altcoins threads in newbie jail + Altcoins on bitcointalk  (Read 3399 times)
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:19:23 AM
Last edit: June 22, 2013, 07:42:37 AM by jackjack

I find it rather dangerous to allow altcoins threads in the newbie subforum.
They're there because they don't know what Bitcoin is. And altcoin scammers use this to make them buy some of their scamcoins.
I don't think we can morally leave this kind of threads there...

Example, fastcoin by cheetahx:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=239401.msg2536449#msg2536449
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=237933.msg2517405#msg2517405
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=237753.msg2515348#msg2515348
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=237703.msg2514699#msg2514699

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:45:27 AM

I absolutely agree to this. If you have just found out about cryptocurrency, the whole concept can be pretty confusing.

The purpose of a Newbie area is not only to lock the noobs away from the general discussion so they can't spam it with the reoccurring same question and to filter out trolls.
But also to provide them with an area where they can ask simple general questions and where they can find orientation.

Trying to make use of this confusion to get them into other "concept" is no different from taking advantage of tourists, to sell them f.E. the Brooklyn Bridge.

They will find the alternate section on their own. When they have found some orientation in this new world.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 11:12:03 AM

You're right, we were talking about it in the staff forum a few weeks ago. Some of the names are kind of misleading as well.

The root cause of the problem is the newbie restrictions, because of those we can't move the threads where they go and turn it back into a true newbie section, instead it's the "spam your giveaways from your crap coin" forum.

Obvious and easiest solution would be to lift the newbie restrictions on alt currencies and just move them, along with service discussion and some others so newbies don't feel obligated to post in alt currencies. Theymos wants to wait for some improvement to moderation tools before he does that though.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:16:09 AM

How about adding a subforum to the Newbie forum for alts.

On the other hand that would encourage posting about alts in the first place, which isn't exactly useful.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:20:15 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2013, 04:31:33 PM by Akka

I said this in one other thread before.

The locals forum does not have newbie restrictions and yet we barely have problems with 1 post trolls and spambots. (I can only speak for the German section, though), We have a beginners & Help board there too and this works quite well.

So judging from this, I don't think the restriction are that necessary.

Besides, the times of SA troll armies rushing in are long gone.

So why not? Just lift the newbie restrictions for the Alt. Coin Board or even completely

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:53:23 AM

Personally, I think all altcoins need to find their own forums.  This is Bitcointalk, not altcointalk or cryptocurrencytalk etc., it's just Bitcointalk.  Some altcoins do have their own forums but most stick around here and advertise to newbies who have no idea what's up or down in the Bitcoin world, the owners pump and dump and then ditch the coin to whoever's left; after all, the 40th Litecoin clone with slightly altered parameters is probably not being created for the good of man, nor does it even hope to compete with Bitcoin, but merely exists for the creator who prays he'll get rich off it if he advertises enough.  To put it bluntly, they're get-rich-quick schemes, and aren't created to service anyone in any way, and I believe they should be treated for what they are.  If an altcoin has an incredible amount of merit for being so very innovative, becoming the possible Bitcoin killer (so to speak), then it will naturally make news and find its way over here, instead of being shoved down newbie throats and then disappearing after a couple of weeks.

jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 12:06:34 PM

Personally, I think all altcoins need to find their own forums.  This is Bitcointalk, not altcointalk or cryptocurrencytalk etc., it's just Bitcointalk.  Some altcoins do have their own forums but most stick around here and advertise to newbies who have no idea what's up or down in the Bitcoin world, the owners pump and dump and then ditch the coin to whoever's left; after all, the 40th Litecoin clone with slightly altered parameters is probably not being created for the good of man, nor does it even hope to compete with Bitcoin, but merely exists for the creator who prays he'll get rich off it if he advertises enough.  To put it bluntly, they're get-rich-quick schemes, and aren't created to service anyone in any way, and I believe they should be treated for what they are.  If an altcoin has an incredible amount of merit for being so very innovative, becoming the possible Bitcoin killer (so to speak), then it will naturally make news and find its way over here, instead of being shoved down newbie throats and then disappearing after a couple of weeks.
This, a thousand times.

Moreover, they are not even Bitcoin clones per se, but rather Litecoin clones. So they should go on litecointalk or whatever.
Really, at least scrypt-coins should be forbidden

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 12:58:18 PM

Although I find most alt-coins useless, annoying and uninteresting pump & dump schemes I still believe a mutually advantageous outcome can be had.

Why not just charge them, say, a quarterly fee of 5-10 BTC for a sub-board or subforum? If 100 users of an alt-coin would chip in, that would only be 0.05-0.1 BTC per person. If an alt-coin is big enough they will find a way to raise the funds, if it isn't, then there's no reason why they should have their place on this forum. They could elect a Moderator among themselves and maybe Theymos* would just write in the board description that people entering that board do so at their own risk, Bitcointalk Moderators wouldn't have to bother nannying them.

*if you're reading this, what do you think? The forum would raise some more money Smiley

Signature space available for rent.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:39:42 PM

Although I find most alt-coins useless, annoying and uninteresting pump & dump schemes I still believe a mutually advantageous outcome can be had.

Why not just charge them, say, a quarterly fee of 5-10 BTC for a sub-board or subforum? If 100 users of an alt-coin would chip in, that would only be 0.05-0.1 BTC per person. If an alt-coin is big enough they will find a way to raise the funds, if it isn't, then there's no reason why they should have their place on this forum. They could elect a Moderator among themselves and maybe Theymos* would just write in the board description that people entering that board do so at their own risk, Bitcointalk Moderators wouldn't have to bother nannying them.

*if you're reading this, what do you think? The forum would raise some more money Smiley

I'd rather outlaw altcoins than charge them to be here.  The forum doesn't need anymore money.
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:20:02 PM

Whether scrypt altcoins remain allowed or not, please consider making a different theme (even just the color) for the altcoin subforum. That may make newbies realise it's something different out there.

Also, as everybody seem to agree, can theymos give his thoughts about the topic? (Banning altcoin threads in the noob forum)

svbeon

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:23:57 PM

I agree, newbies should be about Bitcoin only.
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 07:01:56 PM

I would also like to see a change on this. The altcoin spam(/scam?) in newbie jail is ridiculous.
DBG

Activity: 119
Merit: 100

Digital Illustrator + Software/Hardware Developer

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 01:27:56 AM

I notice a lot of attention is being paid to scrypt-based altcoins, but there are many SHA256 altcoins out there too.  Even though it may seem heavy handed, I think the top brass of this forum need to decide what non-Bitcoin cryptocurrencies (if any) can be discussed and then chroot or flat out ban that don't make the grade.  Personally I'm a fan of Litecoin, if for no other reason I don't think Bitcoin should go into the future alone.  Assuming more companies decide to accept Litecoin as a payment option and legal exchanges are created, it would be a great choice for smaller purchases on the Internet and in real life.

Bitcoin - 3DTcMYT8SmRw4o4Lbq9cvm71YaUtVuNn29
Litecoin - MAoFYsBf7BzeK86gg6WRqzFncfwWnoYZet
/* Coins are never required but always appreciated if feeling generous! */
jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 07:38:23 AM

I notice a lot of attention is being paid to scrypt-based altcoins, but there are many SHA256 altcoins out there too.  Even though it may seem heavy handed, I think the top brass of this forum need to decide what non-Bitcoin cryptocurrencies (if any) can be discussed and then chroot or flat out ban that don't make the grade.  Personally I'm a fan of Litecoin, if for no other reason I don't think Bitcoin should go into the future alone.  Assuming more companies decide to accept Litecoin as a payment option and legal exchanges are created, it would be a great choice for smaller purchases on the Internet and in real life.
The point is not about which altcoin are the more promising. The rule must be precise, not just 'does it looks promising?'.
For example, allowing all SHA256 coins is acceptable, and allowing not a single altcoin is too. Or maybe all the altcoins on mtgox.
Of course this is only my opinion but when I see all the drama 'posts count -> activity', whereas it was necessary, I can't think an altcoin rule would be easily accepted. So the forum better makes the rule clear to understand.

By the way, as there are currently two threads here, can a mod divide this thread in two: altcoins in newbie sub forum, and altcoins in general. I find both interesting and I wouldn't want one to make us forget the other. Until then I rename this thread.

jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 08:43:47 AM

Sock puppet of the developper of richcoin:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=243224.0
His posts:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=133019;sa=showPosts

Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 12:08:18 PM

Just don't allow any service/altcoin advertisement in the newbie jail.
Whoever is serious about their service or altcoin will also wait the 4 hours

Please do this!
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 12:25:16 PM

Won't be an issue for too much longer, don't worry, will be solved soonish.

jackjack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 12:29:20 PM

I am looking forward to it!

Will the solution be wider than just the newbie forum?

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 12:34:11 PM

I hope the solution will be a cleansing fire burning brightly in the night while the screams and cries of purged altcoins echo from mountain to valley.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 12:46:46 PM

I am looking forward to it!

Will the solution be wider than just the newbie forum?

Newbies won't be restricted to that board in the future, so there will be no need for alt coins/services there.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: