Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:55:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Please - Vega 56 Mining Rig Troubleshooting  (Read 4745 times)
Tao1123 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2017, 05:43:24 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2017, 06:07:31 PM by Tao1123

Hello all,

I am building my first mining Rig with the below components.

6x Sapphire RX Vega 56 air cooled
Asrock Fatal1ty B250 Gaming K4 motherboard
Intel Celeron G3930 Kaby Lake Dual-Core 2.9 GHz LGA 1151 Processor
2x G.SKILL NT Series 4GB DDR4 SDRAM 2133 Ram
1x EVGA 600w Bronze PSU for motherboard, cpu, and risers
2x HP DPS-1200w with Breakout Board for the cards
6x UBIT PCIE risers
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

For simplicity sake lets number the pcie slots on the motherboard 1-6 right to left starting with the one closest to the CPU, slot 2 and 5 are full size PCI slots the rest are PCIE extension slots.  Same thing with the GPUs, 1-6 right to left, each one is meant to be plugged in to the corresponding PCIE slot on the motherboard.

I assembled everything except I left the PCIE risers unplugged from the Motherboard for to load windows onto the HDD.  Once that was done I plugged in all the cards and loaded AMD driver 17.30.15.  It recognized 4 of the cards after restart but 2 of them were getting code 43.  

At this point I realized I had forget to set my Motherboard Bios so I followed this guide: https://blockoperations.com/gpu-miner-bios-settings-asrock-b250-gaming-k4-motherboard/ Afterwards I was getting 1 card.  I decided to start over and try to load each driver individually.  

Card 1 worked intermittently in PCIE slot 1 I was able to reload the driver on to it.  When placed into slot 2 the first fullsize slot it worked everytime with no problem.  Thinking it may be a power issue to explain the intermittent connectivity I swapped PSU and still nothing, then tried cables, still same issue.  I resigned myself to the intermittent connectivity and moved on to card 2.  Card 2 slot 2 no issues at all I tried it in PCI slot 1, 2, and 3 and it worked in all of them.  Card 3 was not recognized in any slot except slot 2 and when it was I attempted to load the driver and the screen would intermittently go in and out.  I would get a white noise screen from time to time as well.  Loading the driver failed multiple times and gave me error 1803.  I followed several steps to rectify that issue and finally had a successful load albeit with the screen still intermittently going in and out.  

At this point I figured I would try to run with just the 3 cards.  Card 1 in slot 1, card 2 in slot 3, and card 3 in slot 2.  On boot the rig would power up then powerdown after a few seconds, it did this twice and the third time it finally booted.  When i was finally in windows only card 2 and 3 were showing activity lights and the machine only recognized the 2.  Device manager showed 3 hidden cards claiming they were not connected.  

At this point I was informed that Driver 17.30.xx was corrupt on the Vegas and I needed to turn off quick boot and sleep mode.  I also made it so windows update will not download hardware drivers.  So I turned them off and plugged in all 6 cards.  I then rebooted in safe mode and ran DDU.  Once done I restarted and leaving all cards plugged in I ran AMd driver 17.8.2 as I was told that was a stable build.  The motherboard continued to reboot several times on start up before it booted fully.  With all cards in it would start to boot then the screen would go black.  Additionally 3 cards would show activity lights.  I let it sit with a black screen for 30 minutes before I manually shut it down and tried again.  I did this several times sometimes it would get to the windows 10 welcome screen then go black, sometimes it wouldn't.  At this point I unplugged 3 cards from the Motherboard and reset the motherboard bios back to default.  It would still start to run then stop on power up.  After resetting the bios it was only recognizing 1 card and Nicehash Miner was not recognizing a single GPU.  

At this point I stopped in frustration.  I am probably going to start over entirely.  First run DDU on all cards.  Then wipe the HDD and reinstall windows.  I will adjust windows before ever putting a GPU in.  Then update drivers on each GPU 1 by 1 only ever having 1 gpu in at a time.  I am at a complete loss as to what I am doing wrong or what is not working.  Any help at all will be appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
boggle

Activity: 40

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 06:55:03 PM

i feel your pain i spent many hours over many days on my first rig..

what risers do you have? VER 0002 and flaky with vega so i binned them for VER 0003 and 0006

do you have a SSD or traditional HDD?

problems i see with the setup guide

in bios set all pcie slots to gen2, then in boot - enable csm and set all options to uefi

you will need to reinstall windows if it doesnt boot

when complete disable windows update then
shutdown
insert first vega first full size slot and install blockchain drivers
shutdown
install all other vega firstly into the next full size slot then any others
boot windows it should load desktop but then freezes for a minute while it detect and install the drivers for the first card.
tf2addict

Activity: 675
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 07:01:50 PM

FWIW, I replaced an RX 570 with a Vega 56 using the same riser/PCIe slot and Windows simply wouldn't see the Vega, I had to move to a different slot.

The other problem I've always had is whenever I install a new AMD card I have to DDU remove and reinstall the blockchain driver to get everything to work.

I really hope the Fall Creator's Update solves some of these problems since Microsoft has apparently worked on GPU support (it will supposedly support more than 8 of any one architecture).
boggle

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 07:07:47 PM

hit
windows key + R
run msinfo32

if BIOS mode is legacy, this causes problems changing GPU'S
Bare

Activity: 130
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 07:24:07 PM

and how can you make BIOS mode UEFI?
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 07:44:51 PM

and how can you make BIOS mode UEFI?

A simple google search would have told you. However check the video below but don't do it yourself if you are not at least an intermediate PC user , ask a friend if you can't do it.

Here is the video with the tutorial, there are a lot of other tutorials too in google ,step by step ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1eXD30Fox4

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 08:59:38 PM

i feel your pain i spent many hours over many days on my first rig..

what risers do you have? VER 0002 and flaky with vega so i binned them for VER 0003 and 0006

do you have a SSD or traditional HDD?

problems i see with the setup guide

in bios set all pcie slots to gen2, then in boot - enable csm and set all options to uefi

you will need to reinstall windows if it doesnt boot

when complete disable windows update then
shutdown
insert first vega first full size slot and install blockchain drivers
shutdown
install all other vega firstly into the next full size slot then any others
boot windows it should load desktop but then freezes for a minute while it detect and install the drivers for the first card.

I am using the risers in the following link The PCI-E Riser for Bitcoin\Litecoin\ ETH coin Ubit Mining Dedicated Graphics Card PCI-E Riser 1X to 16X Riser Card 164P / 60cm USB 3.0 Extension Cable & MOLEX to SATA Power Cable(6-PCS,6pin).  Also, do I need to run the driver installer each time I add a new card or should it do it on its own?  I reset my motherboard back to default because I was having issues with booting. 

I am currently using a 60 GB Kingdian SSD.  I do have an old school hdd I pulled from a laptop that I was maybe going to convert into all virtual memory for mining monero if needed.
boggle

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 10:24:34 PM

i would start by getting one then two cards setup and plugged into the motherboard not by risers and then add the others one by one

60gb will start windows. you will need more space for the virtual memory
on a 6 vega and 1 rx480 rig, system information shows 50gb virtual memory is being used out of 120gb available

the risers i binned have a light blue pcie connector ver 002

do the cards light on system start or when there first detected by windows?

tf2addict

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 11:09:12 PM

I have an MSI Z270 A PRO motherboard and it simply won't see a second GPU plugged into any slot and I've checked every BIOS setting possible.  I've never seen anything like that.  It's being returned.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 12:12:47 AM

I have an MSI Z270 A PRO motherboard and it simply won't see a second GPU plugged into any slot and I've checked every BIOS setting possible.  I've never seen anything like that.  It's being returned.

Thats because if you read the manual you will see the the MSI boards share ports.

E.g. if you have an m.2 in the second m.2 slot PCIE3 will stop working. If you have a card in PCIE port 5 port 1 might stop working.

NEVER EVER buy an MSI board for mining.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 12:14:18 AM

Tao I run literally hundreds of your motherboards. They are one of the best 'gaming' boards I have found for mining. Only difference I run linux on mine. Windows is dogshit for mining. Driver problems, stability problems, etc with windows that all go away with a good linux install.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 12:45:47 AM

Tao I run literally hundreds of your motherboards. They are one of the best 'gaming' boards I have found for mining. Only difference I run linux on mine. Windows is dogshit for mining. Driver problems, stability problems, etc with windows that all go away with a good linux install.

I have never used Linux before.  Is it possible for you to help me troubleshoot my current problems?  Or at least help me with the UEFI settings?
tf2addict

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 02:12:13 AM
Last edit: November 15, 2017, 02:28:17 AM by tf2addict

I have an MSI Z270 A PRO motherboard and it simply won't see a second GPU plugged into any slot and I've checked every BIOS setting possible.  I've never seen anything like that.  It's being returned.

Thats because if you read the manual you will see the the MSI boards share ports.

E.g. if you have an m.2 in the second m.2 slot PCIE3 will stop working. If you have a card in PCIE port 5 port 1 might stop working.

Where does it say that in the manual?

BTW, there is only one M.2 slot.

The board certainly can be made to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2jkWUJU2A8
tf2addict

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 02:13:03 AM
Last edit: November 15, 2017, 02:28:54 AM by tf2addict

I'd like to see you get 2000 H/s on a Vega under Linux, let alone with low power
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 02:22:32 AM

i would start by getting one then two cards setup and plugged into the motherboard not by risers and then add the others one by one

60gb will start windows. you will need more space for the virtual memory
on a 6 vega and 1 rx480 rig, system information shows 50gb virtual memory is being used out of 120gb available

the risers i binned have a light blue pcie connector ver 002

do the cards light on system start or when there first detected by windows?

So get 2 cards running actually in the board then add using risers correct?  Once thats running then move the 2 in the board to risers?
ben8jam

Activity: 196

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 02:27:03 AM

I run two Ubuntu rigs running 470/570s. Love linux. Except the Windows machines can undervolt where I have not been able to do so on Linux. BIOS mods don't seem to take affect

And as for VEGAS, do you run Vegas on Linux? Heard it's really hard, and again, power consumption is much worse because no access to power control.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 04:49:45 AM

Progress! I can officially get 5 gpis running now. However, when I plug in the 6th the machine boots up but only the 1 gpu still plugged directly into the motherboard comes online.  I get a black screen with a white flashing cursor at the top.  Anyone run into this before?
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 02:54:48 PM

Alright so heres the situtation.  I can get the computer and Nicehash to recognize that there are 5 gpus available.  However, when I benchmark the GPU designated as GPU 5 in Nicehash the screen blinks and comes back on as static then eventually terminates and will not mine.  As far as placement on the rig this is card 3 in slot 3.  What is this indicative of?  Also, would it be advisable to try to troubleshoot that card first before trying to add card 6 or tweak my other cards that are working for maximum efficiency?  Basically, what should be my next step in this and whats wrong with card 3 and card 6?
ben8jam

Activity: 196

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 05:07:48 PM

Man... I'm slowly starting to regret having ordered 4 Vega 56's....
boggle

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:13:21 PM

do the cards light up (single red light) when the bios screen loads???
you are using on-board graphics? and have disabled crossfire?

nice hash I find a PITA.. you might need to add opencl 1 option..
I would swap cards and risers about and see of the problem follows the swapping.
To test i use cast-xmr,  you can run one instance per card. option --gpu then the card number

if your Vegas are all the same windows shouldnt need to install the drivers again when you swap about..

keep us posted
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: