Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:03:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Please - Vega 56 Mining Rig Troubleshooting  (Read 4748 times)
ben8jam

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 07:32:25 PM

I don't have Newegg prime and so its slow shipping.  You're right I canceled the order from Newegg and ordered with Amazon Prime.

Newegg can be a pain to return to - I'd rather pay a few extra dollars to Amazon because I know I can pretty much return anything.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tao1123 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 08:01:33 PM

I don't have Newegg prime and so its slow shipping.  You're right I canceled the order from Newegg and ordered with Amazon Prime.

Newegg can be a pain to return to - I'd rather pay a few extra dollars to Amazon because I know I can pretty much return anything.
I already have a return shipping label and everything for my current board.  Mind you they are charging me $20+ to return it which makes me think I will be ordering mainly from amazon now...
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 02:18:25 AM

Should you turn off ULPS for mining?
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 02:25:40 AM

God Damnit.  Fresh install of Windows card 1 plugged into motherboard.  Works fine.  Card 2 plugged into motherboard.  Driver auto updates and then I benchmark and get static on screen.  Then the screen goes black with no signal input.  Coukd it be because I forgot to restart before attempting to benchmark?
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 02:57:15 PM

Update!  So I am back to 4 working cards!  Made an odd discovery last night.  If I run them with the 17.30 driver they tend to be unstable and have serious issues.  If I run them with the 17.11.2 driver they work just fine, mind you they are an average of 70 h/s slower on the 17.11.2 driver.  I had read somewhere that you can toggle the driver for mining in the global settings but I can't seem to find the option in AMD settings.  Tonight I will try to add the 5th card.  Also, I am mining using Claymore's AMD GPU miner for Cryptonight.  Is there a better miner out there that supports 6 cards?

Thank you,
rippermantwo

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 04:12:12 PM

Update!  So I am back to 4 working cards!  Made an odd discovery last night.  If I run them with the 17.30 driver they tend to be unstable and have serious issues.  If I run them with the 17.11.2 driver they work just fine, mind you they are an average of 70 h/s slower on the 17.11.2 driver.  I had read somewhere that you can toggle the driver for mining in the global settings but I can't seem to find the option in AMD settings.  Tonight I will try to add the 5th card.  Also, I am mining using Claymore's AMD GPU miner for Cryptonight.  Is there a better miner out there that supports 6 cards?

Thank you,

Been following your progression -or there lack of. I feel your pain. Been running into the same challenges with 6 x Vega 64s and the Asrock Fatality X370 K4 mob. At one point I had 5 gpus running on the AMD blockchain driver at over 2000H/S at around 1250w. When I would try to install the final gpu I would get bsod (blue screen of death) - restart - bsod - restart - advanced options screen where I could then start in safe mode. couldn't get five gpus running after that.

I have done many clean windows installs (15 plus) to no avail. I'm finally running stable on 6 gpus on driver 17.11.2, but my hash rate now sucks at about 1400h/s per card. That's overclocked and undervolted. I want the hashrate of the blockchain drivers, but don't know how to get the 6 cards working with it.

At a loss and following your updates.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 04:18:43 PM

Thank you,

Been following your progression -or there lack of. I feel your pain. Been running into the same challenges with 6 x Vega 64s and the Asrock Fatality X370 K4 mob. At one point I had 5 gpus running on the AMD blockchain driver at over 2000H/S at around 1250w. When I would try to install the final gpu I would get bsod (blue screen of death) - restart - bsod - restart - advanced options screen where I could then start in safe mode. couldn't get five gpus running after that.

I have done many clean windows installs (15 plus) to no avail. I'm finally running stable on 6 gpus on driver 17.11.2, but my hash rate now sucks at about 1400h/s per card. That's overclocked and undervolted. I want the hashrate of the blockchain drivers, but don't know how to get the 6 cards working with it.

I am curious if the drivers are unstable or whats going on.  I have read others get them working with the 17.30 blockchain driver so i don't know why it wouldn't work for us.  I am talking with someone else on a different community and he seems to believe it could be a riser.  Think I might order a couple new risers and see what I can get.
ben8jam

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 04:28:11 PM

My rx builds would be plagued with riser issues. And sometimes the riser wasnt even it, it was just a crappy USB cable they sent with it. I learned that from an Amazon review. Swapped the cable and never had a problem again. It gets really tough to trouble shoot when there are like 20 things that can be the issue.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 04:40:38 PM

My rx builds would be plagued with riser issues. And sometimes the riser wasnt even it, it was just a crappy USB cable they sent with it. I learned that from an Amazon review. Swapped the cable and never had a problem again. It gets really tough to trouble shoot when there are like 20 things that can be the issue.

Yeah, no kidding.  Let me know how your build goes.  Iirc you are getting everything today right?
rippermantwo

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 04:51:53 PM

Update!  So I am back to 4 working cards!  Made an odd discovery last night.  If I run them with the 17.30 driver they tend to be unstable and have serious issues.  If I run them with the 17.11.2 driver they work just fine, mind you they are an average of 70 h/s slower on the 17.11.2 driver.  I had read somewhere that you can toggle the driver for mining in the global settings but I can't seem to find the option in AMD settings.  Tonight I will try to add the 5th card.  Also, I am mining using Claymore's AMD GPU miner for Cryptonight.  Is there a better miner out there that supports 6 cards?

Thank you,

I am curious if the drivers are unstable or whats going on.  I have read others get them working with the 17.30 blockchain driver so i don't know why it wouldn't work for us.  I am talking with someone else on a different community and he seems to believe it could be a riser.  Think I might order a couple new risers and see what I can get.

I have all six cards running now under amd driver 17.11.2, which makes me think all of my hardware is good. Again, when I use the amd blockchain driver, all goes to crap.
ben8jam

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 05:09:42 PM

Yeah, no kidding.  Let me know how your build goes.  Iirc you are getting everything today right?

Vega's arrived last night, along with dual psu's and connector, plus a beefy 20A PDU surge power strip. Today the CPU and H110 arrive. Tomorrow night the Ram arrives, but I'll probably shut one of my ETH rigs down and borrow it's RAM so I can get a head start tomorrow morning.

Pretty much know my entire week will be me sitting in the garage dealing with the same issues... Luckily the kiddo has a ukuele lesson on Saturday so I can get some forced relaxation lol
rippermantwo

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 05:15:45 PM

Vega's arrived last night, along with dual psu's and connector, plus a beefy 20A PDU surge power strip. Today the CPU and H110 arrive. Tomorrow night the Ram arrives, but I'll probably shut one of my ETH rigs down and borrow it's RAM so I can get a head start tomorrow morning.

Pretty much know my entire week will be me sitting in the garage dealing with the same issues... Luckily the kiddo has a ukuele lesson on Saturday so I can get some forced relaxation lol

While waiting on my ram I just purchased some at the local best buy and then returned it (within 30 days) after mine arrived. Good luck and post your progress. Let's see if we can figure this out.

I'm doing another fresh windows install now. Going to then try to install the blockchain driver again. This time one card at a time and then will add them back in one at a time to see if I can get all six going. I'm also not going to install wattman this time (really buggy). Will use overdriventool instaead.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 05:44:16 PM

I am currently trying to overclock my cards, doing this from work on teamviewer lol.  I am confused as to why it only lets me drop my GPU frequency to -4% on wattman?  Doesn't make any sense to me as the post I am following says to drop it to -30%.  Also I dropped my Power Limit to -30% but only saw a 20w reduction... not sure if its because I set my fan at minimum 3000 RPM or whats going on.  I have my memory up to 950 right now. 

Also, I am only able to set about 20gb of virtual memory because I only have a 60 gb ssd. If I plug in a second oldschool HDD into sata slot 2 and set the virtual memory on that drive to say 60 GB would that work or does it all have to be on the same drive?
ben8jam

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 05:48:40 PM

I'm doing another fresh windows install now. Going to then try to install the blockchain driver again. This time one card at a time and then will add them back in one at a time to see if I can get all six going. I'm also not going to install wattman this time (really buggy). Will use overdriventool instaead.

Is Wattman that Radeon tool? I remember using that when I was figuring out my BIOS's for the RX470/570s. That thing was a NIGHTMARE. It made no sense. It would change settings, and cache settings. I lost weeks of time trying to work with that thing. I tihnk I only used Afterburner while monitoring memory leaks in GPUz or was it the other one, HWinfo..

man i am soooooo looking forward to doing this all over again! not.

Kinda bummed I can't run Ubuntu for the Vegas. Linux is just so nice and carefree..
rippermantwo

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 05:57:28 PM

Is Wattman that Radeon tool? I remember using that when I was figuring out my BIOS's for the RX470/570s. That thing was a NIGHTMARE. It made no sense. It would change settings, and cache settings. I lost weeks of time trying to work with that thing. I tihnk I only used Afterburner while monitoring memory leaks in GPUz or was it the other one, HWinfo..

man i am soooooo looking forward to doing this all over again! not.

Kinda bummed I can't run Ubuntu for the Vegas. Linux is just so nice and carefree..

Yes, it's the Radeon tool bundled with the drivers. It's more stable with the 17.11.2 update, but I haven't tried using that version with blockchain. Anyway, overdriventool provides more flex and it's fast to set up all the cards once dialed in.

I tried Ubuntu with the Vegas just to see if I could defy pros, but no luck. Will have to wait on AMD to update their drivers.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 05:59:06 PM

Wattman is the radeon tool.  I would much prefer to use afterburner but apparently it doesn't work with the Vegas.  I can get the overdriventool i guess.
einherjar

Activity: 30

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 06:12:02 PM

I am currently trying to overclock my cards, doing this from work on teamviewer lol.  I am confused as to why it only lets me drop my GPU frequency to -4% on wattman?  Doesn't make any sense to me as the post I am following says to drop it to -30%.  Also I dropped my Power Limit to -30% but only saw a 20w reduction... not sure if its because I set my fan at minimum 3000 RPM or whats going on.  I have my memory up to 950 right now. 

Also, I am only able to set about 20gb of virtual memory because I only have a 60 gb ssd. If I plug in a second oldschool HDD into sata slot 2 and set the virtual memory on that drive to say 60 GB would that work or does it all have to be on the same drive?

I had the same problem when i tried a "normal" driver release, i could only underclock -4% , installed the official amd compute workload driver 23aug and there was the -30% underclock!
I find it alot better and stable to undervolt and set clocks with softpowerplay, OverdriveNTool 0.2.1 has a built in editor.
Have 2 vega rigs working with this settings for some days now, it looks quite stable except 1 card needs 910-920mV or it crashes sooner or later.
https://imgur.com/a/KxdIw
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2017, 06:25:53 PM

I had the same problem when i tried a "normal" driver release, i could only underclock -4% , installed the official amd compute workload driver 23aug and there was the -30% underclock!
I find it alot better and stable to undervolt and set clocks with softpowerplay, OverdriveNTool 0.2.1 has a built in editor.
Have 2 vega rigs working with this settings for some days now, it looks quite stable except 1 card needs 910-920mV or it crashes sooner or later.

Thats the problem though is it seems line 17.30 is unstable for me for some reason.  On 17.11.2 I am atleast stable with 4 cards.
rippermantwo

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 04:27:13 AM

Thats the problem though is it seems line 17.30 is unstable for me for some reason.  On 17.11.2 I am atleast stable with 4 cards.

Have five running steady now on 17.30 with 9977 h/s at 1300w. For some reason some of the cards didn't like certian risers. Had to switch them around until I found a match.

I tried mining with 17.11.2 and couldn't get over 1300 a card. I'm over 2k on each card now. I'm making more on five cards now then when running 6 cards on the new driver update.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2017, 04:38:21 AM

Have five running steady now on 17.30 with 9977 h/s at 1300w. For some reason some of the cards didn't like certian risers. Had to switch them around until I found a match.

I tried mining with 17.11.2 and couldn't get over 1300 a card. I'm over 2k on each card now. I'm making more on five cards now then when running 6 cards on the new driver update.

So you got 17.30 stable?  And it was risers that were your issue?  I might order some new risers then
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: