Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:29:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Please - Vega 56 Mining Rig Troubleshooting  (Read 4748 times)
faanigee

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 07:45:06 AM

Any one share best timing straps for sapphire for eth mining.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Njeroe

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 08:45:36 AM

for ETH mining, I followed these instructions to setup the cards https://vegamining.blogspot.com, than in GPU-Z changed the GPU= P7 1222/900 and the Memory= P3 1100/850 (the rest didn't touch), I get stable 44.xxx Mh/s per cards, and 08750 V VDDC volting...
Tao1123 (OP)

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 03:34:29 PM

I loaded the Regedit changes into the machine and now it wont mine.  I'm going to switch to my h110 BTC+ motherboard and start all over.

Which Regedit changes?  If you are loading softpowerplay Reg mods that expect a Vega 64, and you have a Vega 56 and you have not flashed it with a Vega 64 equivalent, that would cause problems.

Earlier I had asked if my are not flashed if the softpowerplay would work on the vega 56 and you said it would.  I do not see any softpowerplay specific to nonflashed vega 56.  Unless I am missing something.

Try this:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2002025.msg22334966#msg22334966

And if you don't want to try that, or have issues with the site, then:

It is easy to flash Vega 56 with the equivalent Vega 64 bios and you can and should save your original Vega 56 bios with ATIflash 2.77 available at Techpowerup downloads.  If you do that and restart, whatever Vega 64 softpowerplay mods you have found are more likely to work.

I looked at the link you sent to the other Bitcointalk thread.  It looks like the downloadable xls file is for v64?  I will go ahead and try to flash my vega 56 to 64.  Also, I am curious if we do not adjust the hbcc in Wattman how do we turn it on to mine with?  I have a feeling that is part of my issue as far as hash rate goes.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 08:28:52 PM

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I remember when I setup my Rx470 rx570 rigs - The Mobo I used, MSI Game Z170A, required a Skylake CPU and people who tried to use Kaby Lake had a huge amount of problems.

Any MB that suppports Skylake should be able to work with Kaby Lake - though many of the older 1151 boards need a BIOS update to do so, which can be a Catch-22 type mess.

Kaby Lake was not a noticeable upgrade from Skylake - VERY small gains in general - and the Mickey$loth refusal to support Kaby Lake on anything older than Win10 makes Kaby Lake somewhat problematical (LINUX supports Kaby Lake, and many MB MANUFACTURERS support Kaby Lake on 7 despite Mickey$loth because THEY know where the market is at).

That vegamining blog has quite a bit of useful information, and some links to more. Not a bad place to start.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 09:05:29 PM

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I remember when I setup my Rx470 rx570 rigs - The Mobo I used, MSI Game Z170A, required a Skylake CPU and people who tried to use Kaby Lake had a huge amount of problems.

Any MB that suppports Skylake should be able to work with Kaby Lake - though many of the older 1151 boards need a BIOS update to do so, which can be a Catch-22 type mess.

Kaby Lake was not a noticeable upgrade from Skylake - VERY small gains in general - and the Mickey$loth refusal to support Kaby Lake on anything older than Win10 makes Kaby Lake somewhat problematical (LINUX supports Kaby Lake, and many MB MANUFACTURERS support Kaby Lake on 7 despite Mickey$loth because THEY know where the market is at).

That vegamining blog has quite a bit of useful information, and some links to more. Not a bad place to start.

I do not believe my issue is related to compatibility of my CPU and Motherboard.  However, I am going to try switching my Motherboard tonight from Asrock B250 K4 to Asrock H110 BTC+.  My windows crashed this afternoon and won't come back on.  It keeps trying to auto repair but it cant for some reason.  Anyway this has prompted me to startover, again, but with a different Motherboard and I am going to use the 150 gb oldschool hdd unfortunately I think its only 5400 rpm but should still work and provide enough virtual memory to run 6 vegas.  The SSD I have is only 60 gb unfortunately...
R0mi

Activity: 305
Merit: 148

Theranos Coin - IoT + micro-blood arrays = Moon!

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 10:03:51 PM

I do not believe my issue is related to compatibility of my CPU and Motherboard.  However, I am going to try switching my Motherboard tonight from Asrock B250 K4 to Asrock H110 BTC+.  My windows crashed this afternoon and won't come back on.  It keeps trying to auto repair but it cant for some reason.  Anyway this has prompted me to startover, again, but with a different Motherboard and I am going to use the 150 gb oldschool hdd unfortunately I think its only 5400 rpm but should still work and provide enough virtual memory to run 6 vegas.  The SSD I have is only 60 gb unfortunately...

When you find yourself in Windows "Auto Repair" hell, reboot, get to advanced options, choose startup options, reboot and hit "4" to boot up in safe mode.  That will let you DDU your display drivers and reinstall, or at least allow you to check what is going on.

Walton Chain CEO Mo' Bling: "Walton Chain will be the Qualcomm + Cisco in the blockchain industry, the ‘Google’ of the Blockchain."  It's December 1999, do you know how your shitcoin holdings are doing?  Magic 8 ball market analysis: www.doiownashitcoin.com
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 10:06:17 PM

When you find yourself in Windows "Auto Repair" hell, reboot, get to advanced options, choose startup options, reboot and hit "4" to boot up in safe mode.  That will let you DDU your display drivers and reinstall, or at least allow you to check what is going on.

I tried that.  It never took me to the safe mode selection screen.  Just kicked itself back into a reboot. It was very annoying.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 06:51:07 AM

6 cards running but only at 6200 h/s and 1250w at the wall.  Not sure what I did wrong.  I'll post details tomorrow.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 03:34:28 PM

Here is how I got 6 cards running.  I switched Motherboard from Asrock b250 K4 to Asrock H110 BTC+.  I then did a clean install of windows.  Flashed each Vega 56 to the 64 bios, one at a time.  Once all 6 had been flashed I plugged them into the motherboard all at once and booted up.  I left one directly in the Motherboard because I didn't feel like moving it to the riser.  Once i got into windows I installed AMD driver, made adjustments to my registry and executed the softpowerplay mod.  Restart and boom everything comes up and is running.  Yay!  I then start up a miner and am able to pull 6200 h/s at 1250w.  Ok not so exciting.  Thats as far as I am now.  I will be dealing with it more later tonight for now hash is hash even if its not optimal.
nathan0658@gmail.com

Activity: 34

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 03:46:24 PM

Here is how I got 6 cards running.  I switched Motherboard from Asrock b250 K4 to Asrock H110 BTC+.  I then did a clean install of windows.  Flashed each Vega 56 to the 64 bios, one at a time.  Once all 6 had been flashed I plugged them into the motherboard all at once and booted up.  I left one directly in the Motherboard because I didn't feel like moving it to the riser.  Once i got into windows I installed AMD driver, made adjustments to my registry and executed the softpowerplay mod.  Restart and boom everything comes up and is running.  Yay!  I then start up a miner and am able to pull 6200 h/s at 1250w.  Ok not so exciting.  Thats as far as I am now.  I will be dealing with it more later tonight for now hash is hash even if its not optimal.

been following your progress. been having issues myself after my PSU failed. looking forward to seeing the results once you are completed.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 03:53:55 PM

Also, I am using chrome remote desktop now to access the computer but once I restart I can no longer access the computer even though chrome remote desktop is supposed to work on start up.  I was using teamviewer but it had its own issues of not always connecting.  Anyone have any suggestions?
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:02:07 PM

So it looked like my softpowerplay didn't stick with 2 of my cards. I redid that part and now it looks good, however, card #6 is now only pulling 320 h/s.  WTF?  It has the same settings as all the other cards.  I am so very confused...
ben8jam

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:10:45 PM

This is my setup.

I run my monitor via the onboard Intergrated Graphics dvi port. I made the adjustments in the mobo BIOS to route everything to integrated - it showed up in two places. This way one of the vegas doesn't have to do dual duty.

Install windows. Disable all the "sleep and monitor dimming" settings.

Install AMD blockchain drivers. I installed the driver only. Unchecked everything else.

I did NOT flash my 56 to 64, still not sure if that is going to do much.

Did the reg-fix to all 4 cards.

Reboot.

On boot, disable all vegas. Then re-enable all vegas.

Run the script to apply the Overdrive settings. Fans kick in to 3000 rpms.

Run the miner (make sure you've updated the config for the miner so it can access dual mining on each vega). All four vegas running at 1950 h/s and about 150-170W. I haven't tried to adjust the mV to lower that draw.

I tried to install GPUz and HWinfo but I think that caused problems so uninstalled them. I do leave HWMonitor running on screen.

If I run into issues (like after I installed GPUz) I simply reinstall the AMD Blockchain drivers (drivers only again). Shut down. Power up and repeat the disable/enable -> overdrive script. I disable and re-enable the vegas on every boot up. I haven't had to reinstall windows yet - simply the AMD drivers. I think not having that crappy Wattman tool on the computer is half the battle.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:12:05 PM

I figured it might be an issue with the cards so I did the whole disable/enable in device manager and now I have a card that whenever I do that it comes back up with error 43.  I also have a card that whenever i reenable it the whole system crashes....
ben8jam

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:13:54 PM

for ETH mining, I followed these instructions to setup the cards https://vegamining.blogspot.com, than in GPU-Z changed the GPU= P7 1222/900 and the Memory= P3 1100/850 (the rest didn't touch), I get stable 44.xxx Mh/s per cards, and 08750 V VDDC volting...

What is your power draw at the wall for achieving 44 Mh/s on ETH?
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:14:36 PM

This is my setup.

I run my monitor via the onboard Intergrated Graphics dvi port. I made the adjustments in the mobo BIOS to route everything to integrated - it showed up in two places. This way one of the vegas doesn't have to do dual duty.

Install AMD blockchain drivers. I installed the driver only. Unchecked everything else.

Reboot.

Run the miner (make sure you've updated the config for the miner so it can access dual mining on each vega). All four vegas running at 1950 h/s and about 150-170W. I haven't tried to adjust the mV to lower that draw.

I tried to install GPUz and HWinfo but I think that caused problems so uninstalled them. I do leave HWMonitor running on screen.

If I run into issues (like after I installed GPUz) I simply reinstall the AMD Blockchain drivers (drivers only again). Shut down. Power up and repeat the disable/enable -> overdrive script. I disable and re-enable the vegas on every boot up. I haven't had to reinstall windows yet - simply the AMD drivers. I think not having that crappy Wattman tool on the computer is half the battle.

Yeah I only install the driver itself nothing else.  I flashed them because I wanted the softpowerplay mod. 
ben8jam

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:17:47 PM

I figured it might be an issue with the cards so I did the whole disable/enable in device manager and now I have a card that whenever I do that it comes back up with error 43.  I also have a card that whenever i reenable it the whole system crashes....

Man alive you're just not having great luck here....

I would format and reinstall. And follow that blogspot guide exactly. Don't install any other software device type software. Just AMD, and only the first option. The driver.

Maybe hold off on flashing the BIOS too. I didn't do that and 1950h/s is pretty good for just adjusting settings in Overdrive and Reg edit.

Also, maybe just start with 4 vega. I started with three. Got it working, then added in a fourth. It just required running the AMD driver install again, and then doing the reg fix for that fourth card. So if you get 4 working at 1950h/s then you can add the other two.

Can you do it all via on board graphics too? I think that makes things easier. If they crash you don't lose your display.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:22:13 PM

This is my setup.

Reboot.

Is it better to run everything off the IGPU?  You are using the h110 BTC+ correct?  I am currently plugged into the vega but I am running everything remotely right now.  
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:27:25 PM

Man alive you're just not having great luck here....

I would format and reinstall. And follow that blogspot guide exactly. Don't install any other software device type software. Just AMD, and only the first option. The driver.

Maybe hold off on flashing the BIOS too. I didn't do that and 1950h/s is pretty good for just adjusting settings in Overdrive and Reg edit.

Also, maybe just start with 4 vega. I started with three. Got it working, then added in a fourth. It just required running the AMD driver install again, and then doing the reg fix for that fourth card. So if you get 4 working at 1950h/s then you can add the other two.

Can you do it all via on board graphics too? I think that makes things easier. If they crash you don't lose your display.

You're not kidding.  I followed the blogspot guide I don't know why but all the other cards let me disable/enable them. 

I am currently mining and it is obvious that 2 cards do not have hbcc turned on.  They are mining at 1100 h/s and 1000 h/s respectively, however, all my other cards are sitting at 1400 or so.  I think some of my OverdrivenTool settings may be off so I can tweak them to see what happens. 

Either way I am at 7650 H/s total right now.  Can't check my energy use because I am not home but I can't imagine its any worse than the 1250w it was before. 

Honestly, I would settle for 1800+ h/s per card right now.  Thats all I ever wanted it just seemed to me that the only way to get that at decent voltage was to flash the bios.  I could go back and flash the stock bios back on to them but Really don't feel like it tbh.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 04:35:59 PM

I don't know what I am doing wrong.  I cannot break 1400 H/s no matter what settings i use.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: