Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:27:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Please - Vega 56 Mining Rig Troubleshooting  (Read 4745 times)
Tao1123 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:24:20 PM

do the cards light up (single red light) when the bios screen loads???
you are using on-board graphics? and have disabled crossfire?

nice hash I find a PITA.. you might need to add opencl 1 option..
I would swap cards and risers about and see of the problem follows the swapping.
To test i use cast-xmr,  you can run one instance per card. option --gpu then the card number

if your Vegas are all the same windows shouldnt need to install the drivers again when you swap about..

keep us posted

Will do.  I was planning on moving that card to another riser to see what happens.  As for lighting up yes all the cards light up when the computer kicks on.  What does PITA mean?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
boggle

Activity: 40

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 06:35:08 PM

the lighting up on bios is a good sign, sometimes i get one card that doesnt light. a quick reboot and its back.

check you risers - these were the main cause of my problems

have u installed the chipset drivers for the mother board?

PITA - Pain In The Arse
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 07:25:11 PM

the lighting up on bios is a good sign, sometimes i get one card that doesnt light. a quick reboot and its back.

check you risers - these were the main cause of my problems

have u installed the chipset drivers for the mother board?

PITA - Pain In The Arse

The board came with UEFI v 2.0.  I haven't touched drivers for the board yet.  In fact I completely forgot about the fact that motherboards use drivers I was so preoccupied with my GPU drivers lol.  I'll check that tonight.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 07:40:38 PM

Also, I tried to install Claymore Cryptonote miner but it crashes every time I run it.  It sets all the parameters then closes.
ben8jam

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 07:53:12 PM

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I remember when I setup my Rx470 rx570 rigs - The Mobo I used, MSI Game Z170A, required a Skylake CPU and people who tried to use Kaby Lake had a huge amount of problems.

I'm not familar with the Fatality board, but have you done any double checking that your Kaby CPU is the right one? Also, might it be the board itself? Seems like some people say the VEGAs are super finicky.

I went with the asrock h110 pro btc+ after a lot of people saying it played nice with Vega.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 08:21:16 PM

I didn't really do much checking as far as GPU and board compatibility as I am new to this whole building PCs thing and just assumed that as long as board has PCIE slots it can use any GPU.  I did make sure the CPU and ram are compatible with the board since I know they dont always play nice together.
ben8jam

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 09:11:43 PM

I didn't really do much checking as far as GPU and board compatibility as I am new to this whole building PCs thing and just assumed that as long as board has PCIE slots it can use any GPU.  I did make sure the CPU and ram are compatible with the board since I know they dont always play nice together.

Looks like you're okay with Kaby Lake processor...

I saw earlier you were able to get it to recognize the 5 cards, where are you left at now?
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 09:50:41 PM

I saw earlier you were able to get it to recognize the 5 cards, where are you left at now?

I can get it to recognize 5 but when I benchmark with Nicehash card #5 causes the screen to blink then turn to static.  I know which card it is on the rig so I am going to try to move it to a different riser and see if I can get it working in a different riser at which point I just need to replace the riser.  The other 4 I have in mine with no issues at least on Nicehash.  When I insert card 6 the whole system fails to boot and it just displays a black screen with a white cursor at the top.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 12:53:17 AM

I can get it to recognize 5 but when I benchmark with Nicehash card #5 causes the screen to blink then turn to static.  I know which card it is on the rig so I am going to try to move it to a different riser and see if I can get it working in a different riser at which point I just need to replace the riser.  The other 4 I have in mine with no issues at least on Nicehash.  When I insert card 6 the whole system fails to boot and it just displays a black screen with a white cursor at the top.

I switched cards and put a good one In the riser.  Still getting artifacts.  I then switched the Pcie connection cords and ran it again.  Riser #3 worked in pcie slot 2 But I got artifacts from the card now in Pcie slot 3.  I'm going to say that's good enough to declare that slot bad for some reason.  Any ideas as to why that might be the case?
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 07:32:13 AM

Well in my attempt to diagnose the Pcie slot issue and get a 5th card running I apparently pissed off the mining gods as all progress has been lost.  Currently running a single card... Oh well guess I'll start from scratch tomorrow.
ben8jam

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 02:39:41 PM

You might want to try a new mobo?
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 03:00:28 PM

You might want to try a new mobo?

That was my thought exactly.  I ordered the Mobo off newegg so I will request a replacement.  If the replacement doesn't work I will start looking at getting an H110 BTC+.
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 03:41:04 PM

Ah to hell with it I ordered an Asrock H110 BTC+ board.  I am hoping that at this point its all my board and this will fix it.
ben8jam

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 05:17:32 PM

Ah to hell with it I ordered an Asrock H110 BTC+ board.  I am hoping that at this point its all my board and this will fix it.

I've got that board and four 56's coming today/tomorrow. Though I got a Skylake CPU to go with it - not Kaby - still think worth double/triple checking that. My two MSI boards also use Skylake. Though I have NO idea why. Kaby is newer and supposedly better at everything....
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 05:26:44 PM

Ah to hell with it I ordered an Asrock H110 BTC+ board.  I am hoping that at this point its all my board and this will fix it.

I've got that board and four 56's coming today/tomorrow. Though I got a Skylake CPU to go with it - not Kaby - still think worth double/triple checking that. My two MSI boards also use Skylake. Though I have NO idea why. Kaby is newer and supposedly better at everything....

I looked online and supposedly the h110 supports the kaby lake cpus
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 05:29:46 PM

Once you have it running please let me know how your build went so I can emulate it
ben8jam

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 05:32:21 PM

I checked it too. And they all seem to support both. I'm a little concerned now I should have actually got a Kaby. Won't be able to build till this weekend. And have to shut down one of my Eth rigs to borrow the 4gig of ram cause all 4gig chips were sold out on Amazon! Of all the things to not be able to get timely.....
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 05:36:51 PM

Ram is cheap do you know have a computer parts store anywhere near you?  I am trying to build mine with 8 GB of ram.  Also, I am so frustrated now  I even did a fresh install of windows last night to try and start over but I keep getting artifacts in slot 1 and slot 3 of the motherboard.  I won't have my h110 for a week or so but I still plan to play around with the board I have until it arrives.  I chalk a lot of my problems up to me being a complete novice at building computers.  Again, if you could post your process for building I would really appreciate it. 

I plan to do another install of windows tonight and repeat my earlier process to see if I can at least get back to 4 working cards.
ben8jam

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 06:06:04 PM

Ram is cheap do you know have a computer parts store anywhere near you?  I am trying to build mine with 8 GB of ram.  Also, I am so frustrated now  I even did a fresh install of windows last night to try and start over but I keep getting artifacts in slot 1 and slot 3 of the motherboard.  I won't have my h110 for a week or so but I still plan to play around with the board I have until it arrives.  I chalk a lot of my problems up to me being a complete novice at building computers.  Again, if you could post your process for building I would really appreciate it. 

I plan to do another install of windows tonight and repeat my earlier process to see if I can at least get back to 4 working cards.

RAM used to be cheap. I got Corsair 4gb DDR4 for $25 this summer off Amazon no problem. Now it's $50 and trickling in. Some same day just showed up on Amazon so I bought one so it'll be here in time again.

And why does it take so long to get the board from NewEgg? It's only $10 more on amazon right now (and that's because it's not coming from Amazon INC) but that's well worth getting it next day for free as opposed to waiting a week and losing out the mined coin....
Tao1123 (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2017, 06:38:38 PM

RAM used to be cheap. I got Corsair 4gb DDR4 for $25 this summer off Amazon no problem. Now it's $50 and trickling in. Some same day just showed up on Amazon so I bought one so it'll be here in time again.

And why does it take so long to get the board from NewEgg? It's only $10 more on amazon right now (and that's because it's not coming from Amazon INC) but that's well worth getting it next day for free as opposed to waiting a week and losing out the mined coin....

I don't have Newegg prime and so its slow shipping.  You're right I canceled the order from Newegg and ordered with Amazon Prime.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: