Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:54:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ledger nano S or Trezor T?  (Read 3260 times)
TheKubizz (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

bros over blockfolios

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 02:24:41 PM

Hey guys! I came to the point where I decided to invest in hardware wallet. My concern is - should I buy Ledger nano S which is the cheapest, or pre-order Trezor T - it's more expensive but well looks cool and it's the newest on the market. Could someone explain me differences (I heard about Trezor being not as secure as Ledger - will the issue continue with T model?) Thanks in advance guys!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6083

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 02:53:08 PM

There was a security issue found but It got fixed with a firmware update. The choice remain between Trezor 1 and Ledger nano S and It's really up to you as they are both good. I wouldn't consider Model T as nothing much has been added and the developers won't discontinue the first model so better buy something cheap and invest the rest in buying more bitcoin.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
xdrpx

Activity: 616
Merit: 603

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 03:03:35 PM

You might be already aware from Trezor's website that it comes with a touchscreen display where in you could input the security PIN directly and a USB-C port which I feel are the only 2 better improvements when compared to the previous generation Trezor and the Ledger Nano S. Even if you did compare all 3 of these hardware wallets, all 3 of them are equally good and secure. Now, since we know more or less about the features they all provide, lets consider the price.

The cost to purchase a Ledger Nano S is about 100 Euro's (including shipment via DHL , to ship where I live), to purchase the previous generation Trezor which is equally good, it costs about 89 Euros + 26 Euros shipment which sums up to 115 Euros and finally for Trezor T it's 149 Euro (the price keeps increasing until their final batch of pre-orders are complete and they have enough units left to manufacture) + 26 Euros which sums up to 175 Euros.

Comparing all of these 3 devices, I'd suggest you either pick the Ledger Nano S or the previous generation Trezor (that is if you're not a fan of the new interactive screen and PIN input through the screen with model T). Trezor has a good reputation of fixing and resolving any possible 0 days or vulnerabilities, and there hasn't been any issues with the Ledger nano S so far either.
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 06:24:13 PM

If you're interested in the Nano S, you're probably interested in practicality more than anything else.

The TREZOR T doesn't seem to have introduced any significant new security features, so it would be worth considering getting the original TREZOR.  It's doing extremely well for me and it's cheaper.

But the Nano S is even cheaper, so it's ideal if that's what you're looking for.

HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2061

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 06:47:10 PM

Hey guys! I came to the point where I decided to invest in hardware wallet. My concern is - should I buy Ledger nano S which is the cheapest, or pre-order Trezor T - it's more expensive but well looks cool and it's the newest on the market. Could someone explain me differences (I heard about Trezor being not as secure as Ledger - will the issue continue with T model?) Thanks in advance guys!

As mentioned in the other post, security shouldn't be an issue with either device. If you're into alts however, you might want to check which ones are supported by each respective wallet. Most major alts are supported by both, some minor ones however, are not.

At the end of this article you'll find an overview of alts supported on Ledger vs Trezor:

https://coinsutra.com/best-hardware-wallet-bitcoin/

I personally am a fan of Trezor, but maybe the Ledger Nano S is supporting some alts that you'd be missing otherwise.
AndriyPilipyak

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 06:50:39 PM

Ledger nano s)

bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 07:01:27 PM

Not or. Both Smiley
Trezor for non-spending purposes, just to store safely (or a paper wallet, but when it comes about transfering, you just connect the trezor and send a transaction, but with a paper wallet it's more a hassle).
Ledger Nano S is for everyday purposes, sending receiving, and the Nano S supports more altcoins, also direct altcoin exchange via the EtherDelta, which is not an exchange but does the same, the main difference is that you don't have to send your coins to an exchange and have it (and risk it) on, but you just connect your Nano S and you can trade peer to peer.
MiningSensei

Activity: 766
Merit: 509

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 07:13:05 PM

if you want to keep holding your bitcoins for a long period of time, then better to buy the trezor one, it is one of the best wallets, i mean, offline wallets that is working at the moment.
The ledger nano is very good too, only that it works better if you want to keep a lot of altcoins in there, specially the ERC20 tokens. And the price of both wallets is very similiar, so make your own research about that and buy the one that you really want too.
The trezor is very handsome too, i would pick that one, no matter what.

Hello
NavySeals

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 07:17:38 PM

Not or. Both Smiley
Trezor for non-spending purposes, just to store safely (or a paper wallet, but when it comes about transfering, you just connect the trezor and send a transaction, but with a paper wallet it's more a hassle).
Ledger Nano S is for everyday purposes, sending receiving, and the Nano S supports more altcoins, also direct altcoin exchange via the EtherDelta, which is not an exchange but does the same, the main difference is that you don't have to send your coins to an exchange and have it (and risk it) on, but you just connect your Nano S and you can trade peer to peer.

Can you give more details about why you said ledger nano s is better for daily spending purposes? I knew it's very good for long term coin strorage as well. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just wanted to hear more about it. Is there something bad about ledger nano s?
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2017, 07:17:44 PM
Last edit: November 19, 2017, 08:37:39 PM by BitcoinNewsMagazine

Trezor is more intuitive to use than Nano S and has a better user manual. Go ahead and get a first generation Trezor is my recommendation. When the new Trezor T is out you can always buy one, restore your seed to the Trezor T and use it as a spare, or your main hardware wallet.

I have all the hardware wallets (I seem to collect them:) and Trezor is my favorite. It is more straightforward to use than the Nano S and has the larger screen. I have the Trezor T on order and look forward to using it. It seems to be a race on which hardware wallet will support Monero first. I have a KeepKey that sits on a shelf unused, the same with Digital Bitbox.

AB1995

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 07:50:44 PM

I like Trezor more
xBitHodler

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 08:09:47 PM

I'm using Ledger Nano S right now and I'm not satisfied. The build quality is terrible. The device scratched easily even though it was laying on my desk all the time. I decided to order Trezor T mostly because:
- I use only Ethereum, Bitcoin and its hardforks,
- Touchscreen - faster pin/passphrase typing, easier to view destination address
- MicroSD support, Ledger runs out of space after installing only 3 apps! With MicroSD you will be able to store your data which will be encrypted.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 08:38:32 PM

What's your reason for getting one? If it's pure storage with no plans to move then you may as well go for a paper wallet. It's free and impregnable as long as it's made right.
sportis

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

Veni, Vidi, Vici

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 08:48:20 PM

Two years ago maybe the decision would be in favor of Trezor; but nowadays, practically speaking, minor differences between them. If you are fan of a software wallet like as electrum then things would be easier.
JohnB31

Activity: 59
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 08:50:51 PM

I am not yet in the phase to buy a hardware wallet but when i think
 i would go for the Trezor. It is more expensive but it can also store normal passwords.

nexus2k14

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 09:12:16 PM

It's your decision which hardware wallet will suit you better, both are great hardware devices.
Trezor T is only for pre-order if you happy waiting until January 2018 and you trust company that's ok. Personally, I will wait for Trezor T reviews first, before make order.
Nano S is already tested and very popular wallet. There is a lot of reviews online that will point out all Pros and Cons.
Nano S is 50% cheaper and can be on your desk in 3-5 working days. I will choose Ledger Nano S, better value for money and there is nothing wrong with it.
Trezor T have touch screen from what I see on short video, I don't know how strong will be when accidentally dropped on leave in pocket and sit, very little information about Trezor T - maybe is gorilla glass maybe not.
hahahafr

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 10:27:46 PM

I have been using the trezor wallet for more than four months and i can really say that i have never had any problems with them, maybe it is because i dont use to hold much more bitcoins in there because i prefer to hold my money in cash instead of having it in altcoins (because always i am so tempted to dump it for other coins, and most times i lost money because of that)
But yes, the trezor is working so good at the moment, and there are not any issues with it, i have made more than three transactions during this week and all of them went through smoothly.

◢◣                      ◢◣
                                     ◢████◣           ◢████◣
                               ◢████████◣◢████████◣
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████◤██████
                               ███████████◤████████
                               █████████◤██████████
                               ███████◤████████████
                               █████◤██████████████
                               █████◣                       ◢█████
                               ███████◣            ◢███████
                               █████████◣◢█████████
                               ◥████████◤◥████████◤
                                    ◥████◤            ◥████◤
                                          ◥◤                      

HYDAX
       Secure  
   Efficient
   Simple  
   Medium 
    Twitter  
    Telegram 
[/center
alfs75

Activity: 392
Merit: 100

platform for everyday business

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 10:36:02 PM

Ledger nano S or Trezor T is both  a hardware wallet that where you can save all your bitcoin asset,they have a same purpose is for safe keeping.so i were you ,should pick a ledger nano S  hardware wallet because is so cheap and user friendly wallet,unlike Trezor T is so expensive as you said and have  an issue of security.

T O W E R B E E      |  PLATFORM FOR EVERYDAY BUSINESS       [ CRYPTOEXCHANGE TowerX ]
▬        ICO  >  on our exchange TowerX        ▬
FACEBOOK           MEDIUM           TWITTER           LINKEDIN           REDDIT           TELEGRAM
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2017, 01:25:12 AM

Trezor has no security issues with latest firmware that seems to be an urban myth being passed around. You may as well accuse Nano S of having back doors built into the secure enclave chip they use and cannot open source because of non-disclosure agreements with their supplier. When you are using a hardware wallet the larger the screen the easier to use. That gives original Trezor an edge over Nano S just as Trezor T will be easier to use than the original. The Trezor GUI is also more user friendly than Ledger's.

HCP
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 4315

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 09:34:27 AM

... Ledger supports many altcoins but you can install only 3 coin apps at the same time. It's because of limited space on the secure element...
What apps do you have installed? Huh I can usually have 5 Apps installed... Currently (because I've been mucking around testing stuff) I have Bitcoin, Dash, Dogecoin, Ethereum and Litecoin... I did have Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, Dogecoin and Litecoin installed...

Also, it really isn't THAT much of a bother to fire up the manager, uninstall an app and install the app you are missing... unless you are trying to use more than 5 currencies at once, multiple times a day Tongue

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████