Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:36:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do we need a new forum?
No, I love it here it is so professional and the mods really seem helpful - 22 (9.1%)
Yes, this site doesn't even have a privacy policy - 11 (4.5%)
No Way, where would I go to scam people? - 3 (1.2%)
Yes, It is offensive that BFL advertises here - 16 (6.6%)
No way, where would I buy my illegal securities? - 2 (0.8%)
Yes, I do not like that Tradefortress runs an illegal bank here - 4 (1.7%)
No, I like that I can come to this site and do criminal things - 2 (0.8%)
Yes, I'm sick and tired of the mods not doing anything - 16 (6.6%)
No, I like that they hold 6000 BTC from the community and still allow scamming - 13 (5.4%)
But then I couldn't buy my drugs anymore - 1 (0.4%)
What? Where would we go? - 15 (6.2%)
If you don't ban Viceroy I'll just scream - 35 (14.5%)
Yes - 55 (22.7%)
No - 47 (19.4%)
Total Voters: 242

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking a team to develop Bitcointalk 2.0 forums (apply within)  (Read 23467 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Viceroy (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 02:09:53 PM

Your comment is valid, and welcome.  I am not here to tell the world I know better than "you".  Instead I created this thread to gather feedback from the community about some of the problems we have all experienced here in this forum.

I think there need to be rules.  As I pointed out in the very first post THIS FORUM has no rules.  It doesn't even have a privacy policy and as such Theymos wields the ban-hammer as he sees fit with no over site; he also has the right to sell your information to marketers... because there is no policy saying he will not.  And under the current lack of rules scammers are now allowed to do as they please because the scammer tag is no longer employed.  Each and every day new sockpuppets enter this forum in the currency exchange and alt-cypto currency forums where they steal actual money from unsuspecting victims... and the admins do nothing about it.

I have no interest in being king of any forum.  I have a great interest in being a MEMBER of a forum where:

- people can have intelligent discussions
- sockpuppets are minimized
- criminal behavior is minimized
- BFL is not allowed to advertise as they are a suspected criminal entity under state and federal investigation  
- illegal securities are not sold to non-qualified investors (Trendon Shavers)
- ponzi schemes, such as TF's, are not welcomed and promoted (The new Trendon Shavers)  

Allowing activity like the above does great damage to the reputation of bitcoin and it keeps adoption rates low.  

top posting because this forum has a silly 20 posts per page limit.

Actually, Joey Rondini got the tag and he scammed a grand total of .4 BTC...

I don't know who that is but I tried for a month to get a known criminal tagged and was told by JohnK that the scammer tag is no longer employed.

DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 02:27:42 PM

I think there need to be rules.  As I pointed out in the very first post THIS FORUM has no rules.  It doesn't even have a privacy policy and as such Theymos wields the ban-hammer as he sees fit with no over site.  And scammers are now allowed to do as they please because the scammer tag is no longer employed.  

Actually, Joey Rondini got the tag and he scammed a grand total of .4 BTC...

I believe that he scammed 1 BTC (.85 lent, he was due to pay 1 BTC back), possibly more depending on how much his other accounts got, if any. He mainly got the tag because he was being really persistent and annoying, and the admins just got bored and gave him it. Which doesn't do much.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 02:28:41 PM

Your comment is valid, and welcome.  I am not here to tell the world I know better than "you".  Instead I created this thread to gather feedback from the community about some of the problems we have all experienced here in this forum.

I think there need to be rules.  As I pointed out in the very first post THIS FORUM has no rules.  It doesn't even have a privacy policy and as such Theymos wields the ban-hammer as he sees fit with no over site; he also has the right to sell your information to marketers... because there is no policy saying he will not.  And under the current lack of rules scammers are now allowed to do as they please because the scammer tag is no longer employed.  Each and every day new sockpuppets enter this forum in the currency exchange and alt-cypto currency forums where they steal actual money from unsuspecting victims... and the admins do nothing about it.

I have no interest in being king of any forum.  I have a great interest in being a MEMBER of a forum where:

- people can have intelligent discussions
- sockpuppets are minimized
- criminal behavior is minimized
- BFL is not allowed to advertise as they are a suspected criminal entity under state and federal investigation  
- illegal securities are not sold to non-qualified investors (Trendon Shavers)
- ponzi schemes, such as TF's, are not welcomed and promoted (The new Trendon Shavers)  

Allowing activity like the above does great damage to the reputation of bitcoin and it keeps adoption rates low.  

Good points, well made, but where do you get the idea that TF runs a ponzi scheme? O_o Feel free to continue this discussion in PM, to keep the thread on-topic.

J603

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 06:12:28 PM

I don't know who that is but I tried for a month to get a known criminal tagged and was told by JohnK that the scammer tag is no longer employed.

Who was it? Rondini (or joeyjmr8484) got it pretty quickly. Of course, Joey didn't even dispute the claim that he was a scammer...
millsdmb

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 10:58:25 PM

Who was it? Rondini (or joeyjmr8484) got it pretty quickly. Of course, Joey didn't even dispute the claim that he was a scammer...
He did actually, by attempting to argue that his inability to pay makes him something other than a scammer

In regards to the new forums, if it has not yet been mentioned -- mobile browsing is lacking on btctalk right now.

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 11:23:25 PM

In regards to the new forums, if it has not yet been mentioned -- mobile browsing is lacking on btctalk right now.

Yea we all agreed though it's not clear there are good solutions in the marketplace.
og kush420

Activity: 1050
Merit: 110

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 12:16:05 AM

i just read this post and the one linked from it by jason. he used a lot of unnecessarily large words to say that the average person here is too stupid for his mighty brain, and grammar you use on internet forums=intelligence.

i am new here, but seriously, why is the loss of this member a bad thing? he seemed like a total dick from that post i read.

millsdmb

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 12:24:48 AM

i just read this post and the one linked from it by jason. he used a lot of unnecessarily large words to say that the average person here is too stupid for his mighty brain, and grammar you use on internet forums=intelligence.

i am new here, but seriously, why is the loss of this member a bad thing? he seemed like a total dick from that post i read.
n00b here too, but perhaps it is a trend. Read further to see he was working on a public mining asic chip.

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 01:23:43 AM

The banning of Matthew:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=273066.0

(Comments on that topic belong in that censorship thread).

Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 01:16:09 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2013, 10:43:23 PM by Ente

I didn't read through the whole thread yet.

- No sockpuppets, yes!

- not only Bitcoin. "Cryptocoin", maybe. Lets re-check the several "favorite slogan" threads for this, maybe?

- Some simple mechanism for trust is needed:
     - "+1" "I like that post"
     - Invite only, and/or vouching required, with inviter visible in invited person's profile
     - "web of trust" - something
     - and/or tipping

- A transparent "democracy", maybe with members voting for a "board of decision makers", who then elect mods, decide finances and so on
  - I believe direct democracy often does not work, and such a forum is exactly where it will go all wrong

- "Person has xy ignores": default ignored for others, with easy "unignore" and "show post". Which applies to quotes, too

- I, personally, use my watchlist a lot. Matthew suggested, and I believe bountied, a function to notify of "these posts quote me"

- Invite-only: This would have huge implications of all sorts. But with the current state of bitcointalk, I believe this would be better. 10k users, ever declining level.. Bitcointalk would still be there, for everyone (else). "Vouching" needed as an alternative.
Alternatively: "High costs" for registering: "Pay xy BTC or solve this riddle or write an application or provide real and verificable ID".
All of this with a "newbie"-like subforum, free for anyone!

I think it is time for a new beginning.

edit:
Reading and thinking about it..
Make it "fluid tiers". Everyone is in a tier, or level, or has points, whatever you call it. Membership time gives you points, posts give you points, but most importantly, ratings from others give you points. Or remove points. You need X points to start a thread. Y points to read the VIP subforum. Z points to post in VIP subforum.
You can only get XY points from posting alone.
You can vote mods once you have XY points.
Mods will be revoked when they have less than XY points.
Spend your points for an ad-free forum.

See, you can build almost everything around "points". Sockpuppets would have little points and little influence. Everyone has the same chance to gain points, but they need to add to the community. Trolls and spammers will quickly have negative points, thus be limited to "troll country" subforum.
And it doesn't involve bitcoins (which is highly unfair to many people) and isn't too harsh on newbies.

Ente
StewieG

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 23, 2013, 11:09:01 PM

Hi,
I love tor and whole idea, of course I understand the problems that arouse with it. But would it be possible, in order to prevent sock puppets and so on, to show at each post if the user used tor or not? A little green or red lamp on the side would be fine... Also the same for proxies... Cuz you know you can still register at this forum using tor simply by using a web proxy + tor. I guess this would prevent a lot of scamming, sockpuppets and whatsoever. Also I love the idea of a tip function. Please don´t ban users using tor, I still want to be able to communicate anonymously on the new forum. And yes I agree, a new forum is more than due.

P.S.: I would also sign up to do security test on the new forum... I got references as a whitehat in the btc community...
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2013, 03:19:09 PM

Maybe link to this in the OP?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=280190

seller

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 11:10:29 PM

Today Viceroy was banned from the forums because he challenged the forums largest advertiser, BFL.

The admins clearly favor ad dollars over free speech.

HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 02:48:40 AM

Yes! *1000. This would be great, I will post more tomorrow, I am on my phone.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 11:17:56 AM

You can also discuss this @ the Bitcoin test forum. http://www.freebitcoins.pw/

Wink

seller

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 05:05:08 PM

today "BFL - CEO" was banned because he offered to pay 1.1 btc for each of 7 ads in this thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=284843.0

For offering a bid in the auction, without warning, the user was permanently banned.

Fwiw I think it's pathetic that the site admin treats the community with such disrespect. 

Now I know why:
I'm not a fan of democracy

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=255136.msg2719425#msg2719425

Theymos is king of the bitcoin forums and if you don't like it you can be banned too.

I dare you to challenge him.  You too will be banned.  Not by vote of a council.  Not because of a broken rule.  Only because Theymos has the ego and the ability. 

The narcissism is weighing him down.  For all our sake I hope he drowns soon.

ottomatias

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 06:10:44 PM

I've been lurking around the bitcoin scene for some time already and feel you completely that we need something better than this forum. I decided to build a Discourse installation with some servers and try to make it the home for more serious bitcoin talk. Developer help is more than welcome and I suggest you come to http://dbtng.com, register and make yourself heard at the General forum.

I think that Discourse is and WILL be the best possible option for the second generation bitcointalk. It is currently still under heavy development but is stable and secure already. We will need more features and bitcoin-features for Dbtng for sure. We will set up a Github for plugin development as soon as we have the time. If you feel like participating, register on Dbtng.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 06:15:15 PM

I've been lurking around the bitcoin scene for some time already and feel you completely that we need something better than this forum. I decided to build a Discourse installation with some servers and try to make it the home for more serious bitcoin talk. Developer help is more than welcome and I suggest you come to http://dbtng.com, register and make yourself heard at the General forum.

I think that Discourse is and WILL be the best possible option for the second generation bitcointalk. It is currently still under heavy development but is stable and secure already. We will need more features and bitcoin-features for Dbtng for sure. We will set up a Github for plugin development as soon as we have the time. If you feel like participating, register on Dbtng.

Citing your competitor in your logo is not exactly the best way to promote your service

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
millsdmb

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 06:15:37 PM

dont like domain name.

millsdmb

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 06:16:21 PM

Citing your competitor in your logo is not exactly the best way to promote your service

Its distasteful as well.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: