Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:21:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do we need a new forum?
No, I love it here it is so professional and the mods really seem helpful - 22 (9.1%)
Yes, this site doesn't even have a privacy policy - 11 (4.5%)
No Way, where would I go to scam people? - 3 (1.2%)
Yes, It is offensive that BFL advertises here - 16 (6.6%)
No way, where would I buy my illegal securities? - 2 (0.8%)
Yes, I do not like that Tradefortress runs an illegal bank here - 4 (1.7%)
No, I like that I can come to this site and do criminal things - 2 (0.8%)
Yes, I'm sick and tired of the mods not doing anything - 16 (6.6%)
No, I like that they hold 6000 BTC from the community and still allow scamming - 13 (5.4%)
But then I couldn't buy my drugs anymore - 1 (0.4%)
What? Where would we go? - 15 (6.2%)
If you don't ban Viceroy I'll just scream - 35 (14.5%)
Yes - 55 (22.7%)
No - 47 (19.4%)
Total Voters: 242

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking a team to develop Bitcointalk 2.0 forums (apply within)  (Read 23467 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
ottomatias

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 06:23:58 PM

We do not feel like competitors to bitcointalk. It is more like better bitcoin talk but also to remind from the roots of it all - bitcointalk.org. We acknowledge all the good things bitcointalk has made to Bitcoin community in general but as have been said on this forum a billion times, the community needs something different.
Bitcointalk will surely exist, I believe, for years to come because of its enormous user base. What we are trying to build is better discussion, maybe in more detailed topics. Surely we are not building marketplace etc - which are IMPORTANT but not good talk, I'd say.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 06:24:20 PM

I've been lurking around the bitcoin scene for some time already and feel you completely that we need something better than this forum. I decided to build a Discourse installation with some servers and try to make it the home for more serious bitcoin talk. Developer help is more than welcome and I suggest you come to http://dbtng.com, register and make yourself heard at the General forum.

I think that Discourse is and WILL be the best possible option for the second generation bitcointalk. It is currently still under heavy development but is stable and secure already. We will need more features and bitcoin-features for Dbtng for sure. We will set up a Github for plugin development as soon as we have the time. If you feel like participating, register on Dbtng.

Citing your competitor in your logo is not exactly the best way to promote your service

LOL

Yea that image makes the site sound super desperate.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2013, 08:43:13 PM

I don't think that Discourse is going to be the best for bitcointalk in general. Maybe for coders and such, but only for that.

DiscussBitcoin is up, but SMF is a bitch and I'm currently trying to fix a ton of bugs, including one reoccurring bug which hates the forum.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 03:29:58 AM

How can I help? Grin

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 04:16:21 AM

Github open source design it in php/mysql [because then so many more people can contribute]
+1 I would be willing to start adding to an open source forum.

Aren't SimpleMachines, MyBB, PhpBB, Discourse, etc... open source already?

{ BitSpill }
bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 06:12:41 AM

Github open source design it in php/mysql [because then so many more people can contribute]

Yes but to get on the team to have your pull request merged is very hard, if not next to impossible. Also I know Discourse already has a development team so yeah. If this was to be used for these forums, I could justify the time I would spend on it by making these community better. It be a smaller group so the pull request would be merged and better testing. It is like trying to be independent developer at google, rather that just take one of those project and modify it for a niche group you get it?
I think I see where you are going but you do not have to join their teams, while they don't use Git per se you can "fork" them and have a BSMF (bitcoin simple machines forums) so the base is established and you don't have all the leg work of starting from scratch.  Although that throws in the issue of familiarizing yourself with a foreign codebase which could almost be written again by the time you learn what they already have. In any case it is a can of worms whatever direction the project heads in, someone needs to choose a direction and start digging the rest will fall into place.

(ramblings of a tired mind Wink)

{ BitSpill }
Bicknellski

Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 09:38:12 AM

How goes 2.0?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Viceroy (OP)

Merit: 501

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:45:14 PM

How goes 2.0?

I don't know, we haven't started it yet.  Are we ready to begin?

rbonestell

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:43:10 AM

I'm interested in seeing where this goes and have 1 dire request for BitcoinTalk 2.0:

Please implement an open API for developers!

So much action in the community occurs right here on the site and the only API I could find was this one:
http://bitcointalkapi.appspot.com/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=154131.0

While I appreciate the work Logik put into this solution, it never seems to be synchronized with the actual content on the forums.
This would make it easier for us (the development community) to incorporate trending news in apps and automate the posting of important information to the site.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:51:46 AM

Is this like NXT or Mastercoin where we put coins into an "exodus" address so that in the genesis block we have our share? If so, let me know if you think I qualify to be a mod or staff or whatever in the new forum. (But I don't have coins, hhehehehe.)

San1ty

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:38:00 PM

Ugh, Develop something new based on PHP? Ok nothing to see here.

Found my posts helpful? Consider buying me a beer :-)!:
BTC - 1San1tyUGhfWRNPYBF4b6Vaurq5SjFYWk NXT - 17063113680221230777
Viceroy (OP)

Merit: 501

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 12:54:30 AM

Bump
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:54:53 AM

Bump

Hey Viceroy.

Initscri

Activity: 1540
Merit: 759

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 08:52:38 AM

Do you mean open-sourcing the development of the forum, allowing for multiple people to create the forum (using MyBB/SMF/etc...) and then closing the source once production begins; or actually creating a new forum software?

Yes but to get on the team to have your pull request merged is very hard, if not next to impossible. Also I know Discourse already has a development team so yeah. If this was to be used for these forums, I could justify the time I would spend on it by making these community better. It be a smaller group so the pull request would be merged and better testing. It is like trying to be independent developer at google, rather that just take one of those project and modify it for a niche group you get it?
I think I see where you are going but you do not have to join their teams, while they don't use Git per se you can "fork" them and have a BSMF (bitcoin simple machines forums) so the base is established and you don't have all the leg work of starting from scratch.  Although that throws in the issue of familiarizing yourself with a foreign codebase which could almost be written again by the time you learn what they already have. In any case it is a can of worms whatever direction the project heads in, someone needs to choose a direction and start digging the rest will fall into place.

(ramblings of a tired mind Wink)

You can fork one of them, but you always have to keep somewhat up on their fork cause bugs and security patches. This would limit really some of the direction the project can go. Also modifying that code could open new bugs. It is hard thing to choose to start from nothing or from a codebase. Granted SMF is pretty secure, but just a lot of bloat.

Why would you want to reinvent the wheel when you can use MyBB or SMF... forum software that has proven to be stable and powers huge communities including BitcoinTalk?

I am asking not out of sarcasm, but out of questioning...

Is there something that the newly developed forum would do better than current solutions?
What would the forum do greater, or focus on a larger scale, that would make the forum software better in general or for certain niches?

Maybe if we developed it with Python it wouldn't be such a bad idea, but there are so many PHP forums out and there have been for many. I'm sincerely wondering what the point is.

----------------------------------
Web Developer. PM for details.
----------------------------------
TheFiendishOne

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:25:17 AM

A new forum is definitely needed.  This place is a dump, IMO (no offense to legit, honest members, no seriously, i mean no offense.  You legit, honest, professional members should not be offended by this post, and will probably agree) and the fact that this was one of the very first forums I came across when I was introduced to bitcoin, means that this forum should be representing bitcoin better and instead is representing bitcoin as a whole very poorly.  It definitely lacks professionalism on a massive scale. Scammers and hackers everywhere apparently, there is clearly illegal activity going on here, and the poll suggests it even more.  If this forum is allowing illegal activities I'm pretty much done coming here effective immediately.  While there is a lot of positive going on here, there's a lot of dirt.  Definitely not intending to offend anyone, but the truth is the truth, and that is the vibe I got from this forum pretty much as soon as I joined it.  I've made a few posts here, and I regret it quite honestly.  Not because I didn't get a positive outcome from my posts, but mostly due to the amount of dishonesty going on around here.  At first glance, coming to this forum tells an average user that bitcoin is a complete waste of time.  As for the demeanor of certain members of this community... well, there's nothing to say.  Pick a post, and read it.  These members are everywhere.  The more I read some of the conversations that go on here, the less I want to visit this forum.  Silk Road had non-illegal activity going on there, and the innocent legit members of silk road got severely screwed by the illegal activity involved around silk road.  This concept, IMO, is no different for this website, whether the website is directly involved in such activities or not.  It shows a major flaw in the system, and if the mods/owners of this site don't care about the illegal activities that its members are taking part in, then this site is going to either go down quick, or be tainted for any positive bitcoin development in the future.  The new silk road of bitcoin?  Yeah I'm out of here.

If I get any sort of response like "Stop visiting if you dont like it GTFO noob, why are u here if u dont want to visit"  etc etc is only proving my point.

Thank you and have a great day.

seller

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 02:59:51 PM

If I get any sort of response like "Stop visiting if you dont like it GTFO noob, why are u here if u dont want to visit"  etc etc is only proving my point.

Thank you and have a great day.

Check this post out... this is EXACTLY the asshole problem we have.  Here's a perfectly legitimate request by a member who asks that a developer stop posting in an 800 page 4 year old thread and make a new thread.  The response?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.msg8036572#msg8036572

What ever happened to common courtesy.  Is politeness asking too much?

Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 07:16:08 PM

Whatever it was, the post was deleted.

Ente
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  All
  Print  

Jump to: