Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:41:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin Prerelease Announcement - Introducing Prime Proof-of-Work  (Read 71573 times)
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 11:07:15 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2013, 08:20:16 PM by Sunny King

I am happy to announce that the primecoin project is now close to beta quality and will be released to public soon. Please keep in mind this is experimental technology and we reserve the rights to rollback or restart the blockchain should severe bug/vulnerability require such actions. However we would try our best to avoid such scenarios and further develop it into reliable public infrastructure.

Introducing primecoin

• First non-hashcash proof-of-work in cryptocurrency, pure prime number based proof-of-work
  • Cpu mining at launch, gpu mining to be developed by market participants
  • Pure proof-of-work, no proof-of-stake (unlike ppcoin), not energy efficient, but with additional potential scientific value derived from proof-of-work energy consumption (energy multiuse)
  • Scarcity enforced by Moore's Law similar to ppcoin, mint rate gradually drops as difficulty rises, without sudden halving shock
  • Security model similar to bitcoin
  • Continuous difficulty adjustment like ppcoin
  • Reasonably high starting difficulty to limit instamining
  • 1 minute target block spacing
  • Zero premine, zero tax

ppcoin + primecoin

• Sharing the same goal of real innovations, moving cryptocurrency technology forward and demonstrating our technical capabilities
  • Sharing the same value, open source, no premine, no tax, advancing cryptocurrency technology for humanity
  • Cpu mining initially for primecoin to cater to a larger mining community, now covering all mining hardwares with both ppcoin (gpu+fpga+asic) and primecoin (cpu)
  • New innovations in primecoin catering to a wider audience including the mathematical and other scientific computing community, and users who prefer pure proof-of-work cryptocurrencies.
  • Sharing development resources and infrastructures
  • Different innovative cryptocurrency designs provide cryptocurrency investors with diversified advanced technology portfolio
  • Strategic positioning for the next 5 years in cryptocurrency market

ppcoin vs primecoin

• ppcoin is our first innovative cryptocurrency design to focus on energy efficiency. Almost a year after its release ppcoin's design remains the only proof-of-stake design on the market, with seven forks/clones (NVC, BTB, YAC, BTG, BOT, CGB, YAB). primecoin is our second innovative design to focus on alternative proof-of-work system producing additional scientific values. The two networks would work in synergy to achieve our long-term cryptocurrency strategy.
  • Cryptocurrency market has now split into two sectors, energy intensive sector and energy efficient sector. In the longer term (5+ years) I believe the energy efficient sector would begin to challenge the energy intensive sector due to its cost advantage. In the shorter term though energy intensive market would likely remain dominant and we would like to have an innovative and competitive offering in this sector as well. The innovations in primecoin give us this opportunity, and would complement ppcoin to strengthen our strategic position in the market.
  • The energy intensive sector currently has two major types of proof-of-work, both of the hashcash type, one is SHA-256, the other is scrypt. There have been some new variations of the hash functions recently, with modified scrypt and SHA-3 series hash functions as well, or even compositions of different hash functions. Though existing cryptocurrencies are all still based on hashcash proof-of-work. primecoin introduces the first non-hashcash proof-of-work in cryptocurrency, the first type of proof-of-work that not only secures the block chain, but also provides additional potential scientific value, paving the way for future proof-of-work types with more diverse scientific interests and uses.
  • Both ppcoin and primecoin demonstrate our design prowess and capability in real innovations. We are fully dedicated to provide long term support and further development to both cryptocurrencies.
  • For existing ppcoin users our dedication to the continued development of ppcoin and its market has not changed. ppcoin's advanced proof-of-stake technology has long-term advantage over pure proof-of-work designs, and is an innovative environmental-friendly solution to the escalating energy consumption on cryptocurrency. In my opinion the energy intensive sector will fragment into many different types of proof-of-work, a single type of proof-of-work is unlikely to maintain dominance. More fragmentation is likely even within a single type of proof-of-work. Meanwhile the energy efficient sector would rise to challege the energy intensive sector, and ppcoin is among the leading contenders in the energy efficient sector. So in terms of our long term strategy ppcoin is of more importance than primecoin.

Release Schedule

Primecoin release is tentatively scheduled for 2013 July 7th 18:00 UTC

Update: 2013-JUL-07: Primecoin blockchain now up and running. Main discussion thread at:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251850.0
Thanks for your support  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NWO

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:08:15 PM

Reserved.
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:09:05 PM

Reserved.
coinerd

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:13:12 PM

If I understand correctly, this will be the second non-hashcash crypto-currency to achieve beta.

Looking forward to it.

Will you provide backwards compatibility at the daemon for existing crypto currency infrastructures?

(Similar RPC-JSON interface especially?)
Scooby903

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:14:52 PM

Looks interesting...
FirewallXIII

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:20:57 PM

Nice to see something that's not a carbon copy with parameters changed.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:21:26 PM

• Pure proof-of-work, no proof-of-stake (unlike ppcoin), not energy efficient, but with additional potential scientific value derived from proof-of-work energy consumption (energy multiuse)

What kind of scientific value?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
SullyTex

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:33:33 PM

I'm in!
jasonslow

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:37:00 PM

This is awesome.
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 11:38:05 PM

Interesting! Smiley

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
Kevlar

Activity: 602
Merit: 254

🔰FERRUM NETWORK🔰

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:42:11 PM

I'd like more information about this prime number based proof of work scheme please.

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
anderl

Activity: 714

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:43:56 PM

Interested.  I've subscribed
thef

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:44:35 PM

Finally something different.
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 11:57:54 PM

Maybe I have missed something new among the sea of clones, but who is the first non-hashcash proof-of-work that you are referring to?

Some API would be preserved some would be impacted, especially those mining related. Although I haven't looked into it yet the release is client wallet solo mining only.

If I understand correctly, this will be the second non-hashcash crypto-currency to achieve beta.

Looking forward to it.

Will you provide backwards compatibility at the daemon for existing crypto currency infrastructures?

(Similar RPC-JSON interface especially?)
super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 12:00:38 AM

Looks pretty interesting. My miner is is ready. Can you have pool software / mining software ready at launch?

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 12:01:28 AM

Design details will be available some time before release.

I'd like more information about this prime number based proof of work scheme please.
Hazard
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 12:02:06 AM

Reserved

Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 12:03:16 AM

Looks pretty interesting. My miner is is ready. Can you have pool software / mining software ready at launch?

No pool software. It's up to the market to develop those later. Release will be client wallet solo mining only. No external miner.
kimosan

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 12:04:07 AM

Looks good. Subscribed.
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile