Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:46:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL ASIC seized by EU , european & german Customs  (Read 19050 times)
Red_Wolf_2

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:01:58 PM

Someone with a Jalapeno please look at the punch marks on the American plugged cable for the PSU. It will tell you the type of wire used and what voltages it will handle. Better still, post a picture for all of us.

Sorry for the quality, iPod camera:)
Oh look, a 250v rated plug! Bet the writing on the cable indicates its also rated to at least 110/250v (I have a 230v cable here which indicates 250/440v)

Probably should put something here.... Maybe an LTC address?
LeNdJidEvsyogSu2KbC1u3bfJSdcjACFsF
madsusies

Activity: 428

BitcoinEvo [$XBTE]

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:03:03 PM

It is US 250V? The same plug like in UK is used? Interesting

▬▬ • • •  BITCOINEVO $XBTE FREE AIRDROP LIVE NOW   • • • ▬▬
▌▌  Secure, decentralised & distributed cryptocurrency with sidechain technology*, on-chain dapps support*, xPoS and zero-proof anonymous transactions*.  ▐▐
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:09:23 PM

Maybe some one in customs was like "hey I'll list this a possible counterfeit/dangerous Tech item and then lose it in sorting." *wink_wink*  

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
Red_Wolf_2

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:18:15 PM

It is US 250V? The same plug like in UK is used? Interesting

Very different form factor to UK plugs. This is a non earthed US plug (NEMA standard). The UK (when I last checked, quite a long time ago) uses BS 1363 plugs, those big beefy looking ones rated for 13A (and definitely polarised!)
So many standards around the world, its a pain to keep up with them all! Often the approach is to design the basic parts to conform with as many as possible, so you'll find many decent (and even cheap) cables for the American (and other 120v) markets will be rated for 230-250v anyway, because its easier and safer. The actual peripheral or power supply connected via said cable is a different matter of course, but in any computer gear manufactured within the last 15 years a vast majority is either auto switching (as in the case with laptop supplies) or has a little red switch to move between 120v and 230v as seen on cheaper or older ATX power supplies.

Looking at the BFL supplied cable, its rated at either 3A or 8A. Not huge wattage, but more than enough for a Jalapeno.

philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:22:56 PM

Looking at the BFL supplied cable, its rated at either 3A or 8A. Not huge wattage, but more than enough for a Jalapeno.

Is rated 6 A.
Red_Wolf_2

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 06:26:44 PM

Is rated 6 A.
So it is... So theoretical maximum of 1500w. For sure I would not be comfortable running that much power through it (it would get warm) but still, more than enough to manage.

TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 08:31:17 PM

Well,

one of the german community member posted in the german section that his BFL got seized by the customs. They believe that the CE Zerification is  non-complian and fictional.  They also failed to have a EU conformity declaration and a user handbook with information.

The main reason why it got a suspect by the customs: they included a american power cord in the package! Holy moly what would've happend if the user used that cable? USA(120volt)(germany 230volt)

That guy would be burned by now.

The package goes now to the Office of the Federal President for further inspection.  It MAY happen that Butterflylabs gets "blacklisted" by the european custums and all packages that go in the EU gets seized!!!

Inaba: I dont want to ruin your business. I just know that you dont read PM/s or Emails. So I thought that this Thread was the best to inform you guys. I have a lot of experience with german customs (through my job of importing stuff) and I know that this is  a very serious condition right now. They think that you just "printed" the CE label and put it on their without checking your components...
I may help your company to get cleared  by the customs, but that process consums a lot of time and money.

That sucks, but if you order a damn ASIC and still try using a US power cable (That don't even fit Euro Plugs) you have to be dumber than a sack of rocks.
candoo (OP)

Activity: 602

Vertrau in Gott

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 10:10:51 PM

I guess that 90% of the orders go through customs without problems. They dont check every parcel, but once they check it  they get suspicios. Of course CE is self-declaring, but you have to check your hardware more then a dozenz times before you self-declare it.

Einer trage des andern Last, so werdet ihr das Gesetz Christi erfüllen.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 10:48:04 PM

Avalon team shipped w/o any cables of any kind Smiley

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
PaperClip

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 10:53:15 PM

As I know only 5GH/s unit is shipped with power cable, all other use power from separate PSU. Maybe 500 GH/s unit is shipped with power cables too, at least it looks like standalone device with its own PSU.
vvic

Activity: 144
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 10:58:06 PM

sure, sure. As if Avalons had all the appropriate certifications Grin
But they were willing to declare it as "industrial controller" or something like that and lower the cost on the customs form, while BFL said they won't lie about these things
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 11:10:44 PM

There are lot jala box and labes pictures you can check if they got CE
The only CE logo that came with my US-delivered Jalapeno is the one that appears on the power supply.

Is that an Avalon in the background?

Make sure to wash that side of the Avalon from the BFL taint.
candoo (OP)

Activity: 602

Vertrau in Gott

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 11:39:18 PM

Is that an Avalon in the background?

Make sure to wash that side of the Avalon from the BFL taint.

ahahhahaha

Einer trage des andern Last, so werdet ihr das Gesetz Christi erfüllen.
Paladin69

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 02:57:02 AM

Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 03:39:15 AM

Well,

one of the german community member posted in the german section that his BFL got seized by the customs. They believe that the CE Zerification is  non-complian and fictional.  They also failed to have a EU conformity declaration and a user handbook with information.

The main reason why it got a suspect by the customs: they included a american power cord in the package! Holy moly what would've happend if the user used that cable? USA(120volt)(germany 230volt)

That guy would be burned by now.

The package goes now to the Office of the Federal President for further inspection.  It MAY happen that Butterflylabs gets "blacklisted" by the european custums and all packages that go in the EU gets seized!!!

Inaba: I dont want to ruin your business. I just know that you dont read PM/s or Emails. So I thought that this Thread was the best to inform you guys. I have a lot of experience with german customs (through my job of importing stuff) and I know that this is  a very serious condition right now. They think that you just "printed" the CE label and put it on their without checking your components...
I may help your company to get cleared  by the customs, but that process consums a lot of time and money.

That sucks, but if you order a damn ASIC and still try using a US power cable (That don't even fit Euro Plugs) you have to be dumber than a sack of rocks.

Excuse me but why do you keep laying the blame on the customer? Doesn't BFL have any responsibility in this? Come on stop being a SHILL for BFL. The BFL SHILLING DAYS ARE OVER!

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 03:41:23 AM

sure, sure. As if Avalons had all the appropriate certifications Grin
But they were willing to declare it as "industrial controller" or something like that and lower the cost on the customs form, while BFL said they won't lie about these things

See I think I found the error in your sentence... see that... where you say "BFL said they won't lie". That bridge been crossed so many times already they are thinking of putting in a TOLL GATE.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Dunkelheit667
Legendary

Activity: 1045
Merit: 1157

no degradation

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:00:07 AM

Just some notes regarding the hand written information, might clarify some guessing. Please excuse my poor English skills...

a) States the power cord does not apply to directive 2006/95/EC, Annex I, 1(c).
Quote from the source: "The electrical equipment, together with its component parts, should be made in such a way as to ensure that it can be safely and properly assembled and connected."
b) Due to a) they put the CE marking into question (if it is legit).
c) Missing manual in German language and manufacturer/importer information.

Should be easy to fix.
1) As mentioned, remove the US power cord from the package (or put all three, four used in the EU inside the package).
2) Create a flyer with some setup instructions (with all EU languages) and put it into the package. Print your manufacturer address/contact data on the same flyer.

C'mon, this is easy. All manufacturers shipping to the EU doing the same boring stuff. Wink

Hint: Smart companies will print in addition the declaration of confirmity and ship it with the unit.

"And the machine keeps pushing time through the cogs, like paste into strings into paste again, and only the machine keeps using time to make time to make time.
And when the machine stops, time is an illusion that we created free will.
" - an unnamed Hybrid
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 04:02:07 AM

Oh, now it's not just chinese solar panels…but everything made in China? - and it's suspicious, because of the US power cord?

quattro

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:53:52 AM

There are lot jala box and labes pictures you can check if they got CE
The only CE logo that came with my US-delivered Jalapeno is the one that appears on the power supply.

Generic power supplies like that usually have counterfeit certifications.

Generic and counterfeit (marked with lite on, dell, toshiba, etc) power supplies are a big problem, so it's not surprising that German customs are on the look out.  

PM me if you need hosting for your FPGA or ASIC miner.  Secure, air conditioned facility... will beat competitor pricing.  Over 15 years in the hosting industry.
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 04:38:59 PM

Oh, now it's not just chinese solar panels…but everything made in China? - and it's suspicious, because of the US power cord?
Well, we are living here with thousands of EU directives AND national laws. If someone want to sue you, waste you time, whatever, he/she/it will find something. And well, custom's mission is protecting all of us happy EU residents. What would happen if someone fiddling around with an US power plug into an EU wall socket? I'm not kidding, that's the way they're thinking.

Yeah, I've bought some chinese solar panels before.  Wink It was just a question of time. FUD is working very well in all countries. Economy, terrorists, power plugs, you will find something.

to be honest i think they should allow it seriously if someone tries to put a us power plug into a EU socket they deserve what happens to them.... its how the human race keep defective people from breeding.... seriously its useful

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: