Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:02:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL ASIC seized by EU , european & german Customs  (Read 19050 times)
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:05:59 PM

I am vaguely remembering some sort of discussion on BFL's forum about import issues, where it was thought that it would pass if it was not "consumer" equipment, but office equipment or some such other definition, so I don't know if they spun the statement of contents right for that.

Sucks for everyone though. I bet BFL is pissed if it's all "on" the PSU compliance and their supplier promised them genuine compliance.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:18:34 PM

There are lot jala box and labes pictures you can check if they got CE
The only CE logo that came with my US-delivered Jalapeno is the one that appears on the power supply.

Generic power supplies like that usually have counterfeit certifications.

Generic and counterfeit (marked with lite on, dell, toshiba, etc) power supplies are a big problem, so it's not surprising that German customs are on the look out.  

In fact that's not a CE logo on that brick. It's one of the variants of the China Export logo. The China Export logos are intentionally made to look similar to the CE logo but the real CE logo has a shorter middle stroke in the E.
iANDROID

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Swiss Money all around me!

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:22:48 PM

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:26:26 PM

Generic power supplies like that usually have counterfeit certifications.

Generic and counterfeit (marked with lite on, dell, toshiba, etc) power supplies are a big problem, so it's not surprising that German customs are on the look out.  

In fact that's not a CE logo on that brick. It's one of the variants of the China Export logo. The China Export logos are intentionally made to look similar to the CE logo but the real CE logo has a shorter middle stroke in the E.

Of course.   Roll Eyes
Supply chains are like a game of minesweeper now.  Grin

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Loredo

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:59:51 PM

Such an amusing coincidence.  Iconic of so much, isn't it?

BTW, the way to tell a real CE is to visualize the continuation of the "C" as a circle to the right.  The right-most point of that circle will intersect the "E" at the point of the center horizontal bar.  Anything else is just that innocently coincidental "China Export" symbol. 
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 06:52:27 PM

If somebody can point to a SPECIFIC known law they broke, please post it in the below thread.  I'm starting a collection of such reports here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=247310.0

Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:37:48 AM

Looking at the BFL supplied cable, its rated at either 3A or 8A. Not huge wattage, but more than enough for a Jalapeno.

Is rated 6 A.
So it is... So theoretical maximum of 1500w. For sure I would not be comfortable running that much power through it (it would get warm) but still, more than enough to manage.

13v x 6A = 78watts max.

Gator-hex

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:46:08 AM

Just some notes regarding the hand written information, might clarify some guessing. Please excuse my poor English skills...

a) States the power cord does not apply to directive 2006/95/EC, Annex I, 1(c).
Quote from the source: "The electrical equipment, together with its component parts, should be made in such a way as to ensure that it can be safely and properly assembled and connected."
b) Due to a) they put the CE marking into question (if it is legit).
c) Missing manual in German language and manufacturer/importer information.

Should be easy to fix.
1) As mentioned, remove the US power cord from the package (or put all three, four used in the EU inside the package).
2) Create a flyer with some setup instructions (with all EU languages) and put it into the package. Print your manufacturer address/contact data on the same flyer.

C'mon, this is easy. All manufacturers shipping to the EU doing the same boring stuff. Wink

Hint: Smart companies will print in addition the declaration of confirmity and ship it with the unit.

Easy? I think there are 25 different languages in the EU! Draw a diagram and use as few words as possible.
What the Chinese seem to do is ship to someone in Switzerland and get them to walk over the boarder into the EU.  Wink

Red_Wolf_2

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:57:12 AM

Looking at the BFL supplied cable, its rated at either 3A or 8A. Not huge wattage, but more than enough for a Jalapeno.

Is rated 6 A.
So it is... So theoretical maximum of 1500w. For sure I would not be comfortable running that much power through it (it would get warm) but still, more than enough to manage.

13v x 6A = 78watts max.

Cable != power supply. The supply is rated at what, 78 watts, but the actual cable from mains to the power supply is rated to a maximum of 1500w. As said though, I would not want to try putting that much through it as it would certainly get warm.

Probably should put something here.... Maybe an LTC address?
LeNdJidEvsyogSu2KbC1u3bfJSdcjACFsF
Gator-hex

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:07:52 AM

Is rated 6 A.

13v x 6A = 78watts max.

Cable != power supply. The supply is rated at what, 78 watts, but the actual cable from mains to the power supply is rated to a maximum of 1500w. As said though, I would not want to try putting that much through it as it would certainly get warm.

100-240v x 2A = 480w max

Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1754

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:22:48 AM

The only CE logo that came with my US-delivered Jalapeno is the one that appears on the power supply.

Not trying to thread jack here but US-delivered power brick, am I missing the UL stamp, is it somewhere else on the brick or device?
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:36:29 AM

Not trying to thread jack here but US-delivered power brick, am I missing the UL stamp, is it somewhere else on the brick or device?

I just checked my power bricks and they all have ULs, FCCs and CEs (of the EU varietal).

Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1754

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:40:12 AM

I just checked my power bricks and they all have ULs, FCCs and CEs (of the EU varietal).

For US delivered jalapeno's?
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:47:42 AM

For US delivered jalapeno's?

Sorry no, they are just the power bricks I have lying around.  Laptops, printers, n such Grin

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:48:22 AM

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 05:49:29 AM

O O!
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:58:06 AM

If you think you are going to have customs problems, ask for the miner to be shipped without a power supply and source an approved one locally yourself. This is what Avalon have been doing, and probably why KNCminer are going to ship without a power supply.

The alternative is the possibility of not having your ASIC miner.

iANDROID

Activity: 182

Swiss Money all around me!

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:01:03 AM

If you think you are going to have customs problems, ask for the miner to be shipped without a power supply and source an approved one locally yourself. This is what Avalon have been doing, and probably why KNCminer are going to ship without a power supply.

I can imagine the answer from BFL:

All sales or final, we can't do it.
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:08:59 AM

They have already been shipping Singles without power supplies for some people,  this is obviously a potential problem, and it would be nice if you helped people with useful suggestions or refrain from posting.

k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:14:07 AM

They have already been shipping Singles without power supplies for some people,  this is obviously a potential problem, and it would be nice if you helped people with useful suggestions or refrain from posting.

It would be nice if you followed your own advice instead of being a BFL spokespuppet all the time. How about next time you see Josh in the office you mention to him he might want to follow the law instead of dumping mistakes like this in his customers lap.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: