Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 12:21:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL ASIC seized by EU , european & german Customs  (Read 19050 times)
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 03:18:57 AM

Looking at the BFL supplied cable, its rated at either 3A or 8A. Not huge wattage, but more than enough for a Jalapeno.

Is rated 6 A.
So it is... So theoretical maximum of 1500w. For sure I would not be comfortable running that much power through it (it would get warm) but still, more than enough to manage.

13v x 6A = 78watts max.

Cable != power supply. The supply is rated at what, 78 watts, but the actual cable from mains to the power supply is rated to a maximum of 1500w. As said though, I would not want to try putting that much through it as it would certainly get warm.

Would it get warmer at US voltage (110) or UK voltage (220) if you put the maximum 6A through it?

It would get just as warm if it was 6A on either voltage. The resistance would be the same, so the energy lost in the form of heat would be the same. Proportionally you would be losing more at 110v though. Where it gets fun is when you're considering watts (I*V=W). If you're using 220v you only need half as much current as if you're using 110v to get the same number of watts, and because resistance in wire results in a voltage drop you'll find greater heat resulting from the lower voltage at higher current than you will find at a high voltage, low current system.

I haven't really explained it that well, but a quick peek on wikipedia should fill you in on the details Tongue

I was actually just making sure that you were at least remotely qualified to be giving people advise on things electrical.  I'm an EE.  Heat in a cable is I^2*R - voltage has nothing to do with it.. (well, alright, not NOTHING, but very very very little)

Good answer.

Enigma.

Been a long time since I've had to use that set of equations seriously... Last time was building heater cores out of nichrome wire and furnace cement. You're right when it comes to heat being directly connected to current and resistance, the voltage only becomes really important when showing the difference in current between a ~220v and 110v system.
I'll admit I did deliberately simplify and use DC characteristics rather than getting into the fun of AC and varying currents over small time periods, not to mention the wonders of inductive loss (or melted PSU cables from idiots who like coiling them into tight bundles!). Few would recognise the difference and would just go "Oh, MATHS!" and switch their brains off Tongue

Obviously you are not a teacher by trade by assuming people "switch" off? Tsk tsk.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Red_Wolf_2

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 04:10:13 AM

Obviously you are not a teacher by trade by assuming people "switch" off? Tsk tsk.

Good heavens no! I'd be prone to throwing students out windows from frustration... I have all the patience in the world for those who want to learn, but anyone who wastes my time... Well...

Probably should put something here.... Maybe an LTC address?
LeNdJidEvsyogSu2KbC1u3bfJSdcjACFsF
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 06:30:58 AM

My Jalapenos made it through Australia Customs without hassles.  I've had other gear delivered from the USA, Europe and China with their plugs and no one cared.

When I first heard of the 'CE' China Export tag a few days ago I thought it was a silly online joke.  It staggers me that someone in China thought this was a great idea.  Total coincidence that the two logos look virtually identical  Roll Eyes

I have purchased a Dell laptop PSU online that turned out to be fake.  It had a couple of spelling errors on the label and got quite hot in use.  I'm not surprised Customs may be picky about laptop PSUs as it's a real safety issue.

No 'UL' mark on my Jalapeno PSUs, and of course no markings apart from a serial number on the actual Jalapenos.
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 06:37:17 AM

My Jalapenos made it through Australia Customs without hassles.  I've had other gear delivered from the USA, Europe and China with their plugs and no one cared.

When I first heard of the 'CE' China Export tag a few days ago I thought it was a silly online joke.  It staggers me that someone in China thought this was a great idea.  Total coincidence that the two logos look virtually identical  Roll Eyes

I have purchased a Dell laptop PSU online that turned out to be fake.  It had a couple of spelling errors on the label and got quite hot in use.  I'm not surprised Customs may be picky about laptop PSUs as it's a real safety issue.

No 'UL' mark on my Jalapeno PSUs, and of course no markings apart from a serial number on the actual Jalapenos.

The crazy thing is, if they ship the Jalapeno separate from a power supply, they don't need certification, as they are not a mains powered device, if they bundle them together then they do as it's considered part of a system.

I guess if BLF were smart they could put them as separate items on the paperwork so they are not a system.
Gordon Bleu

Activity: 308

verified ✔

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2013, 07:06:12 AM

as far as i know, they don't need to send Plug's with it, because someone on BFL s Forum used a self built
6 PCI-E Power Cable
it's just a stupid Joke or the Customs Officer has gone full Retard.

GAWMiners http://gawminers.com/ Gridseed ASICS in stock in USA
ONE YEAR FREE HOSTING AND ELECTRICITY WITH PURCHASE!

AROUSR.COM The Adult Chat Community (21+) We now accept BTCitcoins Smiley               |
Connect with hot girls for chat, talk, trade pics and more!➠Visit http://arousr.com (21+)|
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 10:24:14 AM

The main reason why it got a suspect by the customs: they included a american power cord in the package! Holy moly what would've happend if the user used that cable? USA(120volt)(germany 230volt)

That guy would be burned by now.

last i checked, the North American 115V plug is a lot different then a EU 230V plug, so I don't think there will be any issues with it setting the place on fire.

however, the power adapter might not handle 230V, even with the right cord type. A new one may be needed (not expensive, but still a PITA

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 10:46:59 AM

The main reason why it got a suspect by the customs: they included a american power cord in the package! Holy moly what would've happend if the user used that cable? USA(120volt)(germany 230volt)

That guy would be burned by now.

last i checked, the North American 115V plug is a lot different then a EU 230V plug, so I don't think there will be any issues with it setting the place on fire.

however, the power adapter might not handle 230V, even with the right cord type. A new one may be needed (not expensive, but still a PITA

FWIW Euro plugs do fit straight into UK sockets without an adapter...

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 10:51:17 AM

Sorry for offtopic post but some socket looks like emoticons lol
Look at north america (angry), great Britain (bebe pleure) and denmark one (happy).

philips

Activity: 700

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 10:55:01 AM

The power adapter is rated 100 - 240V, worldwide use.
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 11:51:41 PM

Some customs agents just got into the Bitcoin game Wink
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 01:16:38 AM

When I first heard of the 'CE' China Export tag a few days ago I thought it was a silly online joke.  It staggers me that someone in China thought this was a great idea.  Total coincidence that the two logos look virtually identical  Roll Eyes

It more or less is, it was propagated among the redneck types in a wave of post 9/11 xenophobia.

There are fake CE marks and badly proportioned CE marks even on compliant products, but no "China Export" mark per se

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark#Misuse

But since this thread is likely to devolve into wild conspiracy theories hugely divorced from fact, carry on....

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Loredo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 01:39:40 AM
Last edit: July 06, 2013, 02:32:01 AM by Loredo

When I first heard of the 'CE' China Export tag a few days ago I thought it was a silly online joke.  It staggers me that someone in China thought this was a great idea.  Total coincidence that the two logos look virtually identical  Roll Eyes

It more or less is, it was propagated among the redneck types in a wave of post 9/11 xenophobia.

There are fake CE marks and badly proportioned CE marks even on compliant products, but no "China Export" mark per se

But since this thread is likely to devolve into wild conspiracy theories hugely divorced from fact, carry on....
Why, yes, you are right.  That is an urban myth.  The European parliament has disavowed the counterfeit CE marks coming from China as standing for China Export.  http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getAllAnswers.do?reference=P-2007-5938&language=EN

Personally, I'll refrain from indirectly or directly attributing those marks to systemic shenanigans perpetrated by the PRC authorities.  Instead, I'll refer to it as a China Excrement mark.  That will very likely better describe a product foisted out with so little regard to the standards of that nation's largest trading partner.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:01:19 AM

At least they didn't put melamine in the power cords. Or milk.  Grin

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:41:36 AM

At least they didn't put melamine in the power cords. Or milk.  Grin

Don't forget about that "Great Drywall of China" too  Grin

http://chinesedrywallflorida.org/

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
polarhei

Activity: 462

Firing it up

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 10:17:55 AM

Very well then.
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 10:36:20 AM

Some asshole at the German Zoll had his big day.

Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 12:21:30 PM

+1

Problem is, this urban legend is so much widespread, that the cited article itself, right next where it explains taht "China Export" doesn't exist, have an image depicting a "China Export" logo...

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 12:27:58 PM

Makes me wonder about how they did thier conduct with the FCC

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 12:35:28 PM

They did nothing with the FCC.  If they had they would have a sticker on the device.   The device has no FCC sticker.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 04:14:32 PM

They did nothing with the FCC.  If they had they would have a sticker on the device.   The device has no FCC sticker.

And the documentation would be on the official FCC site, of which it is not as of yesterday. I just checked. I believe somebody has a $1,000 USD bounty awarded to anybody who can prove via said site that BFL has submitted a single device. Amazingly, that's one bet that Josh won't be able to profit from.

Then again, don't put it pass BFL to create some document and state that due to the uniqueness of their devices, only a certificate is awarded without having it show up on the FCC site. The certificate is good as long as it's framed and displayed above the Luke Unit in the BFL Museum of BS.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: