Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:41:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Huge Television Ad for Bitcoin on All the Major Networks  (Read 13308 times)
dennis_sweden

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 06:59:55 PM

I think that without a serious improvement to the client and usability, attracting "normals" to Bitcoin in droves is a recipe for a flop.
I couldn’t agree more. We don’t even have encrypted wallets yet, nor do we have mature exchanges. Really, the entire ecosystem needs work. Even the bitcoin.org website doesn’t look professional at all. I don’t want to see more bubbles and pump and dump, thank you.

Let’s consolidate and make Bitcoin ready for the next wave BEFORE it hits.

Yes, the bitcoin.org is not at all professional. Wiki? Users can edit the pages? The "Disclaimer" page is empty, etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinBabe

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Side-stepping the matrix | Bit by bit

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 07:43:19 PM

As to the forum of the ad; call me stereotypical, but most people that buy products from infomercials are not consumers of the type that search for information about products, instead they prefer to sit in their couch and digest whatever the merchandise presenter says, why the impact of this ad is likely to be rather small. Has paypal ever had tv commercials? I have not seen any, although I do not watch that much TV. TV is probably not a good marketing forum at any stage of Bitcoin, in a cost/benefit sense. Of course, "the only bad exposure is no exposure" or something like that, so I do not see that the ad will have a negative impact; almost all viewers who may think that Bitcoin is a scam are very likely to forget about Bitcoin in a very short time span.

Perhaps the ad could just run online... until the timing is right for TV? By which time you could make another one with more mass appeal.

oyster2000

Activity: 38

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 08:34:38 PM

some nice quotes on this thread!! weusecoins+facebook word of mouth, but yeah tv ad would be like the new bricky, build your own garden shed lol.
SmokeAndMirrors

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 08:43:13 PM

Don't be creating any infomercials about selling a book/cd. Bitcoin should never stoop that low.

Help Bitcoins by buying clothes, technology, books, etc. through people/stores that accept BTC. This will increase overall value of BTC as well as mitigate unnecessary bank transaction fees.

My address -
1EM9HGg1SEa5Bux1rVEPxGqGSfNTTc9EkC
oyster2000

Activity: 38

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 08:53:38 PM

Don't be creating any infomercials about selling a book/cd. Bitcoin should never stoop that low.

First hit search "bitcoin" on youtube

Gavin Andresen and Amir Taaki, Bitcoin

TWiST #140: Bitcoin, with Gavin Andresen and Amir Taaki www.facebook.com What if--instead of whipping out your VISA card--you could pay just as ...

by ThisWeekIn | 22,451 views Uploaded by ThisWeekIn on 10 May 2011
Featured Videos <_PAID
Thumbnail1:44
What is Bitcoin?

next vid is weuscoins.com
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 09:47:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KsxHlJuVBU

Bitcoin music video! Actually not bad; has a catchy beat.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
cloud9

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 10:25:22 PM

No no... It's not a show...  No screenplay.

Just a little TV commercial.   I expect it to be the normal 30 to 60 second commercial.

Because it will be very brief, it will only cover the most basic concepts --- the most important features and benefits.

In order to get placement on ALL of the networks.....  at off hours....  ( unsold inventory slots )....  at super-discounted rates.... It will need to actually sell a product.

Most likely that product will be an ebook about Bitcoin...  sold and shipped on a CD-ROM...   essentially sold at a price that only covers the cost of duplication and shipping.

( Selling a product is the only way to get such super discounted rates. )

We're working with real professionals in mainstream television commercial production....  In fact, this whole idea was theirs.

I think that it could be a great opportunity to get the word out to the masses...

I'll keep you informed of how if goes.

Hope there will be a tiny bit of bitcoins thrown in for the user to experience on a user friendly bitcoin client that does not have to download a multi megabyte blockchain before experiencing the excitement - webcoin (bitcoinjs) is a possible sollution, Bitcoin-qt will only download headers as a lightweight client as well and not the whole blockchain.  Exciting times.

gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 02:26:19 AM

Are we there yet?

Astrohacker

Activity: 156
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 02:53:27 AM

I think that without a serious improvement to the client and usability, attracting "normals" to Bitcoin in droves is a recipe for a flop.

Yeah it's really hard to explain this and to get people to know how to get coins.  Basically the thing will end up being an ad for Mt.Gox.  Get then to donate.  

Advertising isn't what bitcoin needs. Core development on alternate clients, usability, etc are needed first.

I completely agree with this. I'm surprised people think it's a good idea to "advertise" bitcoin. The media is already doing a fine job advertising bitcoin. What we need is more infrastructure. Then the media will have more reasons to keep talking about bitcoin.
bitbetter

Activity: 70

I want to feel your empty heart.

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 03:05:15 AM

Yeah it's really hard to explain this and to get people to know how to get coins.  Basically the thing will end up being an ad for Mt.Gox.  Get then to donate.  

Advertising isn't what bitcoin needs. Core development on alternate clients, usability, etc are needed first.

I completely agree with this. I'm surprised people think it's a good idea to "advertise" bitcoin. The media is already doing a fine job advertising bitcoin. What we need is more infrastructure. Then the media will have more reasons to keep talking about bitcoin.

I think MyBitCoin is a totally underutilized resource in regards to the client usability issues. Hopefully we can get a better UI and maybe a much more secure place for online wallets, but so far it seems to be the fastest, easiest way to do transactions if you have a crappy PC like me.

I used to be a regular person, just like everyone else. But now, here I am using the coins. Advertisement is obviously not needed.

BitBetter | where your BitCoins are fun
12f4jinRUaqsHTn2mrDSxzkw9AQ9WBLwtX
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 03:22:46 AM

• easy to use
  • no transaction fees
  • transactions that can't bounce or incur chargebacks
  • no need for bank approval
  • you can start using bitcoin within seconds with no technical skills necessary
  • the world's first decentralized currency
  • the world's first currency with a limited supply, yet extremely divisible

Hi Bruce,

Sounds great - let us know if you need anything.

I might add to the list some variation of the following:

- much easier international wealth transfers with lower fees
- doesn't require a debit or cc card to buy stuff on-line ( will be big in EM countries )
- traceability of coins although the user can be anonymous

The first two kinda fall under 'no need for bank approval' but the third is sometimes overlooked. With enough research coins can be traced back to their origin. That's a big advantage over fiat cash where both the user can be anonymous and the history of the cash is untraceable.

This is cool - goodluck

Adam

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 03:24:01 AM

I think MyBitCoin is a totally underutilized resource in regards to the client usability issues. Hopefully we can get a better UI and maybe a much more secure place for online wallets, but so far it seems to be the fastest, easiest way to do transactions if you have a crappy PC like me.

I used to be a regular person, just like everyone else. But now, here I am using the coins. Advertisement is obviously not needed.
myBitcoin has locked dozens if not hundreds out of our accounts and refused to answer our emails about it.

I agree with those who say we should focus more on infrastructure than advertising for now.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
bitbetter

Activity: 70

I want to feel your empty heart.

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 03:26:27 AM

myBitcoin has locked dozens if not hundreds out of our accounts and refused to answer our emails about it.

I agree with those who say we should focus more on infrastructure than advertising for now.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

No kidding? were you using mybitcoin for a high volume of transactions or something? I really just started using it but...man. Guess I wont be keeping too many in there. But I can say from my experiences its been pretty fantastic.

BitBetter | where your BitCoins are fun
12f4jinRUaqsHTn2mrDSxzkw9AQ9WBLwtX
jgraham

Activity: 140

<Pretentious and poorly thought out latin phrase>

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 03:48:07 AM

Will there be a section in the e-book written by Carlton Sheets explaining how to make millions in real estate with no money down?

A late-night TV ad that sells an e-book might spread the word, but what word will it spread?  Bitcoin will be forever associated with the Ronco smokeless ashtray or pocket fisherman.

The "What is Bitcoin" video is superb.  No, it's brilliant.  Use that.  Pay more for airtime, play it less, and don't sell it like a salad shooter.

What makes you people so cynical?

I guess you didn't read my post.

Yes, of course every problem in someone's post is actually a reading comprehension problem on the other end.  I think what flaxceed is referring to the reputation that product sold on late night TV has (and perhaps implicitly the reputation that people who buy stuff off late night TV have).  It doesn't matter how noble your intent is.  It's hard to imagine a product sold on late night TV as serious and legitimate (and yes I get that you have a justification for selling a product).

In fact, in retrospect most of this more like a monetary venture for yourself than an effort to publicize bitcoin.  While I'm certainly not against people making money.  I'm a little bothered by people asking for donations so they can make money. (Yes, I read where you said that the book is "not the point" - but that's not the same as 'this is revenue neutral - I am donating my time')

What would be a show of good faith is what others have suggested.   Include close to the purchase price of the book in bitcoins with the "educational" book.

I'm rather good with Linux.  If you're having problems with your mining rig I'll help you out remotely for 0.05.  You can also propose a flat-rate for some particular task.  PM me for details.
LHutz

Activity: 16

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 06:53:35 AM

I do agree that this is not the time for a mainstream commercial. You could use that money to develop a more user-friendly wallet. Something more secure, attractive, and mostly EASY for non-tech people. It is the key, I believe, for bitcoin's success. Nonetheless I highly appreciate the intention.
eugene2k

Activity: 37

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 07:10:25 AM

Bad idea as a means to popularize bitcoin. Don't know if it's any good as a means of selling a digital product (likely not)

The best idea ever on these forums was paying bitcoins for getting merchants to provide bitcoin payment option. I think it should be expanded upon (one could make a website where some could donate bitcoins for the purpose and others could earn them by getting a website to accept bitcoins).
Spacy

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 07:57:45 AM

When the usage of bitcoin is so easy, that also non-geeks can easily join the party, and not before, I want to see a Big Bang Theory episode about Bitcoin, with their appartement full of mining rigs and a cool story around it ;-)
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 09:56:06 AM

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

I don't think the bitcoin client software is ready for the mass public yet...

The mainline version must include:
option in the client to back up wallet(dropbox or other integration would be a plus)
not be in beta
offer encryption, making the user 100% aware that if the password is forgotten, the coins are lost forever, and weak passwords are worthless, the client should not accept weak passwords
api to connect to websites to manage coins online instead of on the machine. this means a website gives you a piece of text to paste into the client, then you can not have to worry about your wallet file. the user must be forced to log in if the site requires it.

But all that is just my opinion so disregard it if you want.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (MingW32)

iF4EAREIAAYFAk4QPKcACgkQ7A5qN2M1ZrXZAwD/ZzPgrLonsytetO03ix/eqmfU
OApO38vApcJ5LqPzsyYA/AvHTe1+IT531fFUE5wjtvaTYkccbNBOjaP1LJb30k/l
=aEdk
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Eri

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 10:03:15 AM

sadly i didn't read all the pages of comments Tongue we may be better off getting the people that make southpark to have bitcoins in an episode, they would probably bash it, but as they say 'their is no such thing as bad publicity'. though we still need better 'stuff' before we can really sell bitcoin to the masses.
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 10:36:11 AM

Hrmmmm.....as mentioned previously the usability problems remain until the client is at a stage where the public will embraced it.

Also:
The Comprehension Gap
Watch all the troll videos on youtube and one thing quickly becomes clear - People do not have a comprehension of bitcoin as a publicly shared and verified cryptological ledger! These people don't have a fucking clue!

Now you can get all up on your high horse and call em stupid, but the fact is that we still haven't communicated the nature of our technology here in simple terms that the every day layman can understand, and as long as this is the case, Bitcoin will remain a divisive subject which does absolutely nothing for the further of bitcoin! 

Before we go selling a product, how about first we document and explain just what the hell we are selling!

Pfft, Sales guys.....Operations FTW! Wink
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: