Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 10:07:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] Pool mining primecoin using DigitalOcean (VPS)  (Read 88511 times)
nmersulypnem

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 11:18:07 PM

Is there a way to have the coins generate into a wallet on my local machine.  Like if I use the same private key as my local wallet or something?

Just copy the same wallet.dat file to each machine. I think that might cause problems if you have blocks generated to over 100 addresses. Then the pre-generated pool of keys might run out and new keys would not be the same on all wallets. A deterministic wallet wouldn't have this problem, but I'm not sure if it's deterministic or not.

But then how do they sync?   I've only got like five instances running.

The wallet you initially create on one machine is filled with 100 keys. If you copy the same wallet to other machines, they will use those same keys. When one machine generates a block, the other machines pick it up from that block since they have a key for the address where the block reward went to.

Ok, and I'm assuming I should transfer an encrypted wallet, because if it's stolen on any PC, it's basically all my coins from all my installs...
rethaw (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 11:58:52 PM

Can I get detailed instructions on how to transfer coins from the droplets to my wallet?
Thanks. Smiley

There are a few ways, once its matured.

primecoind sendtoaddress yourhomeaddress amount

Before its matured:

from vps:

primecoind listtransactions # to get the receiving address
primecoind dumpprivkey $receiving_address

from home:

primecoind importprivkey $privkey_from_vps

I then remove the wallet.dat from the vps to get all new keys, though its not necessary.

ivanlabrie

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 12:13:40 AM

Can I get detailed instructions on how to transfer coins from the droplets to my wallet?
Thanks. Smiley

Before its matured:

from vps:

from home:

I then remove the wallet.dat from the vps to get all new keys, though its not necessary.

You're baws man, thanks!
96redformula

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 12:16:10 AM

Thanks. Smiley

Before its matured:

from vps:

from home:

Yeah, thanks being a helpful part of the forum.
ivanlabrie

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 12:20:02 AM

Getting this:

Code:
root@Miner1:~# primecoind listtransactions #
[
]
rethaw (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 12:33:12 AM

Getting this:

Code:
root@Miner1:~# primecoind listtransactions #
[
]

It means you haven't mined any blocks.

JDDev

Activity: 162

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 12:45:40 AM

Can you clone preexisting droplets?
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 12:48:31 AM

Awesome thread, rethaw! Thanks!
ivanlabrie

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 01:36:12 AM

Thanks. Smiley

Before its matured:

from vps:

from home:

Yeah, thanks for helping people who are too lazy to use Google get all the blocks.

You don't know me moron...OP is doing a great service here, don't let your greed make you troll random folk.
rethaw (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 01:36:44 AM

I do believe so.

Try making an image of an existing instance and report back.

ivanlabrie

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 01:40:50 AM

rethaw, what's your xpm address?

I'll donate a few xpm once I get some.
ivanlabrie

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 01:45:14 AM

I have a shitty pentium d man...and I do research all the time, thing is linux is not my thing.
I've learnt countless amounts of stuff from the internet, and am perfectly capable and not a lazy scumbag as you think I am, yet I was at work when I asked that.
reedlaw

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 01:49:24 AM

By the way, you're the one using VPS services to mine, while I'm mining on machines I own. You call me greedy?

All the debate about using VPS services vs. self-hosted would be settled by consulting the terms of service or contacting DigitalOcean directly. I'm pretty sure Amazon would have no problem with pegging CPU usage at 100% because that's what EC2 instances are often used for. They are on-demand processing power, designed for instant scalability. DigitalOcean, on the other hand, offers a significantly cheaper VPS plan. My instinct tells me they are like the majority of web hosts that oversell hardware with the realization that most users never approach 100% utilization. I'm not saying DigitalOcean cheats, in fact, I've been a very happy customer for over two months now. Just that they may be optimistic in their pricing and will need to adjust prices if a majority of users peg their VPS CPUs.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 01:54:54 AM

Thanks. Smiley

Before its matured:

from vps:

from home:

Yeah, thanks for helping people who are too lazy to use Google get all the blocks.

You don't know me moron...OP is doing a great service here, don't let your greed make you troll random folk.

I don't need to know you to see that you need to beg on a forum for information that you could easily get from Google. OP is helping along people who have done no research into cryptos and just want to make some "magic internet money". By the way, you're the one using VPS services to mine, while I'm mining on machines I own. You call me greedy?

Or, conversely, they are people who truly believe in cryptocurrency and want to support an idea they believe in, and primecoin sure seems to have garnered the love of the community by utilizing novel algorithms.

How long have you been here again? I have been hashing away since BTC was $2. I am no moron when it comes to computers, but I am a biologist...my coding knowledge caps out with systat and excel statistical packages. I wouldn't have been able to piece this together without this thread. Is me mining on the primecoin network with additional resources somehow a bad thing? Is having a secure network bad? Is a solid and fair (READ: IT'S FUCKING FREE) distribution of hashing power detrimental to the survival and proliferation of XPM?

Your statement is wholly influenced by selfishness, profit, and greed, and you look like a giant asshole. You're really taking the moral high horse because you are too, I don't know...arrogant/stupid/proud to utilize free VPS service? Seriously, dude...go to bed. You're getting cranky.
JDDev

Activity: 162

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 01:56:33 AM

I do believe so.

If I clone an instance with primecoind already installed I guess both instances share the same wallet? I assume this isn't a problem?
inbox

Activity: 179

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 02:01:01 AM

I do believe so.

If I clone an instance with primecoind already installed I guess both instances share the same wallet? I assume this isn't a problem?

Yes, you can clone them. Makes it easier to manage since you are only dealing with 1 wallet.

If anyone is interested in upping the droplet limit from 5 to unlimited. I can tell you for 2 blocks worth  Grin

AawjYBFetcyJgpvj37iSLjkZrB8nAfGcCh
anon2301

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 02:09:32 AM

If anyone is interested in upping the droplet limit from 5 to unlimited. I can tell you for 2 blocks worth  Grin

I tell you for free in my guide: http://www.ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=336.0
ivanlabrie

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 02:11:51 AM

I have a shitty pentium d man...and I do research all the time, thing is linux is not my thing.
I've learnt countless amounts of stuff from the internet, and am perfectly capable and not a lazy scumbag as you think I am, yet I was at work when I asked that.

Maybe I was being a little unfair to you. But still, it pisses me off when people who have never used a *coind before ask the most basic questions while mining on VPSs. It's often because they're total noobs trying to get more than their fair share, indicating they care nothing for crypto and the community, just getting a little cash and leaving.

Of course man, I'm in the same boat...have you not accused me we would have agreed on that point :p
Funny thing huh?
I'm stashing coins, and mining the ones I support actually, I despise coinchoosers with a passion. I try to sell goods for btc or whatever....don't wanna derail the thread but there're a few things we can do get this going.
I also do my fair share of promotion for cryptos in general at several forums and irl too.
rethaw (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 02:26:17 AM

rethaw, what's your xpm address?

I'll donate a few xpm once I get some.

You can tip me here ANQqx6MU1deLiCqZ8P28VCAVd74gSzuUrz, but if you continue to use your account, your click on my referral link in the OP is tip enough.

inbox

Activity: 179

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 02:42:19 AM

If anyone is interested in upping the droplet limit from 5 to unlimited. I can tell you for 2 blocks worth  Grin

I tell you for free in my guide: http://www.ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=336.0

nice,

how many instances did they give you? i don't think its unlimited, but it is a good method for 10-30.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  

Jump to: