Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:31:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: VEGA 64 mining FREE WISDOM  (Read 10801 times)
RIGED (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 06:11:07 PM
Last edit: April 30, 2018, 12:56:16 AM by RIGED

Hi all,

With this thread i intend to pass on the knowledge i and my bro attained by building running and maintaining VEGA 64 rigs.

Allow me to introduce myself

i am an average joe with no particular expertice in programming although i do have a solid background in computing (my first contact over 30 years ago on the BBC and Amstrad programming in BASIC)
Being involved in the financial world for longer than i care to remember, the opportunity and future of the cryptocurrency phenomenon struck a cord in me as a viable alternative to the financial bondage all humanity is under via the current fiat central banking fractional reserve SCAM.

This is my way of giving back to those whom might listen.

i spent well over 8 months researching the topic of crypto currency mining going over everything and anything to do with the subject after finaly making my decision to dive in. Living in Norway provides the 2 central pillars (in my view) to succesful mining of which i will get into detail later.

Deciding what GPU's to buy was the most difficult question to be answered as concerns of what to mine and energy use came into play.
The VEGA 64 system is a giant in disquise, the hardware capabilities are currently severly under run  (manufacturer intent) by less than optimal drivers on the RADEON, WINDOWS and Mother Board sides. This is the secret as to why one is hard pressed to find 64's on the market today as few like myself know the secret and are buying them in any quantity as they become available no matter the price.  

i view ASIC mining as a future derivative of the current financial system with 1 compnay BITMAIN (ie Federal Reserve) controling BITCOIN etc via the few huge mining farms (mostly in China) whereas GPU mining can be profitable in small scale by orndinary people in their home.
For me GPU mining is TRULY decentralised and peer assisted instead of a handful of huge well funded 'special' interest groups controlling the market (discussion on this is welcome).

Currently we are running/testing 2 rigs: AsusB250 mining expert mobo with 8 64's and Asrock H110 BTC Pro mobo with 10 64's

Enough fluf, lets get down to it....

UPDATE 4Mar18
after around 8 pages of this thread, this is the result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXUdZDNB-s

enjoy the read!!!

Update 25Apr18
FREE WISDOM up to pg 12 post#238, after that the Vega Token is born and topic takes a turn,

QMS first look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifRIeGnEWeI

QMS coin/miner switching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARKOVdQJefY

Pg18 post#349 is my final post on this thread

https://vegatoken.org/

to mine or not to mine,
is not a question...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rumpel_tusk

Activity: 171
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 06:50:53 PM

I look forward to reading about your guy's trial and errors. I am looking to get into mining and have been fighting a battle between GeForce 1070 vs. Vega 64s. Everybody is gunning for the Vega 64s.
RIGED (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 06:55:35 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2017, 04:24:06 PM by RIGED
Merited by vapourminer (1)

https://imgur.com/a/NHxbe

running at 355,7MH/s stable after blood sweat and tears which is what im hoping you won't have to go through
here are the current stats test mining on Nanopool:
https://eth.nanopool.org/account/0xabdbd7ea90cf6374840bc477fef41788e1429e39

1 x ASUS B250 mining expert Motherboard
2 x 4Gb RAM
1 x Pentium 4400 CPU
8 x MSI VEGA 64 aircooled GPU's
2 x EVGA NOVASTAR 1600W PSU's
1 x 12v fan (very important will explain later)
8 x risers
1 x SSD 128Gb

Using 2 EVGA 1600 PSU's is an overkill but it was the easiest way to keep things uniform and have enough VGA outlets for cards and risers.
Used 5 GQ 6 to 8x2 cables from the EVGA 1000 pack and 6 G2 6 to 6+2 from the EVGA 1600 pack.
Be aware that the EVGA 1600 PSU (G2 cables) has a different manufacturer than the EVGA 1000 PSU (GQ flat cables) hence the operating frequencies and wiring of the sockets is different. You can use the GQ cables on the 1600 but you CANNOT use the G2 cables on the 1000.

We found that mixing these 2 power supplies (or any 2 or more different PSU's) on the same rig causes all sorts of problems, so its best when setting up multi GPU rigs to keep the PSU's uniform. In addition its problem avoiding to connect the riser power supply on the same PSU as the GPU.

Also be very aware that VEGAs are prone to Electro Magnetic inteference so try to keep the PSU's and any other EM generating devices (especialy spark gap devices) as far as possible from the rig. i found this out the hard way after almost throwing in the towel as i stupidly had an ozone maker ontop of the table and was wondering why each pc startup showed different PCIe's not working and system was freezing or dropping after a few mins of operation.

We also killed 2 Asrock H110 BTC Pro mobo's because of faulty riser adaptors as on 2 of them (from the same batch) had fused solder points making them into shortcircuit instant death for the mobo.
So please VISUALY INSPECT the risers especialy the solder points before instalation to avoid this happening to you.

(im a newbie here so my posts have to come with a 360 second gap)

to mine or not to mine,
is not a question...
PanzerSheriff

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 06:59:54 PM

Living in Norway provides the 2 central pillars (in my view) to succesful mining of which i will get into detail later.

Now I'm curious..... must have something to do with snow and cheap hydroelectric power.  Wink
rumpel_tusk

Activity: 171
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 07:02:42 PM

https://imgur.com/a/NHxbe

running at 355,7MH/s stable after blood sweat and tears which is what im hoping you won't have to go through

1 x ASUS B250 mining expert Motherboard
2 x 4Gb RAM
1 x Pentium 4400 CPU
8 x MSI VEGA 64 aircooled GPU's
2 x EVGA NOVASTAR 1600W PSU's
1 x 12v fan (very important will explain later)
8 x risers

Using 2 EVGA 1600 PSU's is an overkill but it was the easiest way to keep things uniform and have enough VGA outlets for cards and risers.
Used 5 GQ 6 to 8x2 cables from the EVGA 1000 pack and 6 G2 6 to 6+2 from the EVGA 1600 pack.
Be aware that the EVGA 1600 PSU (G2 cables) has a different manufacturer than the EVGA 1000 PSU (GQ flat cables) hence the operating frequencies and wiring of the sockets is different. You can use the GQ cables on the 1600 but you CANNOT use the G2 cables on the 1000.

We found that mixing these 2 power supplies (or any 2 or more different PSU's) on the same rig causes all sorts of problems, so its best when setting up multi GPU rigs to keep the PSU's uniform. In addition its problem avoiding to connect the riser power supply on the same PSU as the GPU.

Also be very aware that VEGAs are prone to Electro Magnetic inteference so try to keep the PSU's and any other EM generating devices (especialy spark gap devices) as far as possible from the rig. i found this out the hard way after almost throwing in the towel as i stupidly had an ozone maker ontop of the table and was wondering why each pc startup showed different PCIe's not working and system was freezing or dropping after a few mins of operation.

We also killed 2 Asrock H110 BTC Pro mobo's because of faulty riser adaptors as on 2 of them (from the same batch) had fused solder points making them into shortcircuit instant death for the mobo.
So please VISUALY INSPECT the risers especialy the solder points before instalation to avoid this happening to you.

(im a newbie here so my posts have to come with a 360 second gap)

You guys went full force into mining with that setup. Jealous lol
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 07:11:15 PM

That is one expensive ETH rig for 355 MH/s. I have a 13 RX 480/580 and 570 GPU rig with 385 MH/s Ethash 11000 MH/s DCR dual mining. Rock-solid stable on the ASRock H110 Pro BTC+.

RIGED (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 07:58:59 PM

i uploaded a screen shot on the imgur link above

thnx for the replies,
i know the rig seems expensive for the speed but i am expecting future driver developments by RADEON WINDOWS and mobo manufacturer that will uptick the currently and by intent unutilised potential of these GPUS.

there is a reason why these cards come with a BIOS switch  Wink and fancy led colour switch, we will get into that later....

as PanzerSheriff guessed correctly,

2 MAIN PILLARS (imo) of MINING WITH VEGA64 are:

1) GPU Operating temperature (especialy Memory temp as opposed to CPU)
and ofcourse
2) Kw/h energy cost

at present the VEGA's draw too much power for the Hashing speed they can attain in comparison to lesser cards which at present are more efficient.
The rig as is currently burns through almost 1700W total (8 GPU's mobo, screen) with memory overclocking and undervolting.

Using Crimson 17.11.1 you can avoid the Crossfire issues and other complexities that came with later drivers.
Avoid the mining driver like the plague unless you must use it as it is riddled with bugs and uncompatibilities that will probably test your patience.
HBM at this stage and for mining the way we are testing is NOT needed and only causes problems with more than 3 GPU's (we will be testing it on a separate 6 card rig for MONERO coming soon)

Unified settings on Wattman are:

Dynamic CPU clock set min state6 @ 998 and max state7 @1000 (setting the same value in both fields causes issues)
Auto Voltage
Dynamic Memory clock set min/max @ 1100
Auto Temperature
Voltage set @ -24% (Wattman has issues between -10 to -20 avoid this range where possible)
Dynamic Fan speed set min 2500 target 4000 although this depends HEAVILY on the ambient temp, we achieve the temps seen on the screenshot with +8C ambient room temp, outside +2C (i control this by allowing more or less outside air to enter the room, also i am noting temps creating a reference table for future use, will post it when complete)

Vitrual memory is set to min 16Gb to 20Gb max (very important for stability and long running times)
If you are using later drivers you must switch off Crossfire (good luck keeping the setting stable)

These settings will give you 43,7MH/s stable on all cards and here is the kicker:
Not all GPU's are the same, some can take more Memory overclocking than others, in conjunction with PCIe BUS abilities of the mobo and mobo drivers you are using, the Asrock is the winner in this respect as we have 10 VEGA's on it whereas the ASUS can only take 8 VEGA's max at present. ASUS has promised a driver update in Q4 of 2017 to support more but with 22 days left in this year the update has not come yet.
I was able, after a lot of trial and error to get 3 cards running at 45.5MH/s stable by uping the memory clock to 1150 and the voltage to -17%.
Again if you attempt this assume that one GPU can do it whilst another cant on top of the mobo instability when trying this on more than half the cards on your rig. Trial and error yields fruits but the process can be a nut cracker.

i cannot stress enough how important it is keeping memory temp below 70C

to mine or not to mine,
is not a question...
Vann

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 08:08:30 PM

thnx for the replies,
i know the rig seems expensive for the speed but i am expecting future driver developments by RADEON WINDOWS and mobo manufacturer that will uptick the currently and by intent unutilised potential of these GPUS.

there is a reason why these cards come with a BIOS switch  Wink and fancy led colour switch, we will get into that later....

So you spent $2K+ more than you need on GPU's to mine ETH because you expect AMD to release a magical driver. OK, make sense now. How about spending that $2K to buy more GPU's and get more hash NOW? LOL. Or AMD may just release their Navi cards which ARE expected to great for mining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op3h_bV3ohA

RIGED (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 08:15:03 PM

Here is a tidbit of wisdom we gained by using a FLIR handheld Thermal Spectograph on the rig and wiring and why, as mentioned above you need a spare 12v computer fan. (i haven't found this info anywhere on the net so if you are reading this consider yourself ahead in the game)

on the imgur link above i have included pics of the ASUS and Asrock mobos, the red circle you see is the component that can OVERHEAT and can cause long run mining problems. We found it to go over 70C in relative low ambient temp causing the PCIe slot BUSing to malfunction and freeze/hang the system.

Because we are utililsing the cold outside temp to regulate ambient room temp a fan pointed on that component is enough but you might consider installing a small heat sink to go with the fan for better results if you live in warmer environments.

pics of the 10GPU rig and more info coming later...

to mine or not to mine,
is not a question...
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 08:17:19 PM

thnx for the replies,

So you spent $2K+ more than you need on GPU's to mine ETH because you expect AMD to release a magical driver. OK, make sense now. How about spending that $2K to buy more GPU's and get more hash NOW? LOL. Or AMD may just release their Navi cards which ARE expected to great for mining.

Can you stop shitting on him for his choice of hardware? If you have nothing to contribute, move on. He's here to share his experience with Vegas, and perhaps help some people. We don't care about your opinion on Polaris GPUs.
Vann

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 08:22:04 PM

thnx for the replies,

Can you stop shitting on him for his choice of hardware? If you have nothing to contribute, move on. He's here to share his experience with Vegas, and perhaps help some people. We don't care about your opinion on Polaris GPUs.
Spending 5K on Vega's to mine ETH is just plain dumb and that's what I want people to know.
RIGED (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 08:26:56 PM

thnx for the replies,

you remind me of my wife lol,  let a man finish his sentence before interupting
ofcourse the choice is yours on what to use and how and for now under current conditions you have a point

we are not merely hoping for updates, we are proactive and are exploring coding our own hex tables and driver patches, this being work in progress so mentioning any early results is counterproductive,
there is a deeper reason why we chose the more expensive path which will become apparent to all in the coming YEARS
dont you find it odd that the VEGA is the only card that can trick the system into believing it is 2 cards thus achieving 2000 sols on MONERO?

i am only including info in this thread that works 100% and is simple for anyone to follow if their choice is the VEGA64

thnx for your input

to mine or not to mine,
is not a question...
ShopemNL
Legendary

Activity: 1025
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2017, 08:31:19 PM

6x vega 56 flashed with 64 bios running 43.7mh @ 867/1100 with 825/900mv using totall 1250w  for the whole system.

RIGED (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 08:45:42 PM

6x vega 56 flashed with 64 bios running 43.7mh @ 867/1100 with 825/900mv using totall 1250w  for the whole system.

nice!!

current kWh cost for us here is $0,04 so our focus has been on max stable speeds rather than elec use

https://www.ssb.no/elkraftpris/
price is in Norwegian Kroner for household consumption

we are using these tests to solidify a larger plan involving a private mining farm with over 250 GPU's as a start and have come to an understanding with the local elec supplier to have less than $0,034kWh cost. Time will tell....

to mine or not to mine,
is not a question...
Hexah

Activity: 728
Merit: 265

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 08:54:09 PM

Vega 64 is really a monster even though I am not into mining righ  now and just only reading some reviews for it cause I am planning yo build my own rig I am really amazed by Radeons Vega 64 speed for mining. In my country this hardware is really sold out that's why when it comes to stock again I don't want to hesitate to buy it.
ShopemNL
Legendary

Activity: 1025
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2017, 08:55:42 PM

nice!!

current kWh cost for us here is $0,04 so our focus has been on max stable speeds rather than elec use

https://www.ssb.no/elkraftpris/
price is in Norwegian Kroner for household consumption

we are using these tests to solidify a larger plan involving a private mining farm with over 250 GPU's as a start and have come to an understanding with the local elec supplier to have less than $0,034kWh cost. Time will tell....

Understand that, here regular is about €0.23 and about €0.06 if you use like 1mil kwh/y

43.7 is best i could get with max stability at lowest wattage.

RIGED (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 09:07:58 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2017, 09:28:16 PM by RIGED

OP TEMP IS KEY

Heat goes up and cold stays down, consider this when setting up your rig and placing it with max headroom allowing the heat to collect away from the intake fans

if you noticed on the screenshot the GPU's are running at different temps, especialy one of them

this is not by accident but rather a test in progress

this rig is using the horizontal open air setup with all blowers facing the same direction towards the depth of the room (allowing exhaust to freely move and collect on the ceiling before being released out)

the GPU's are placed at regular intervals (as seen in the pic) apart from the one all the way to the right which is the one operating at the lowest temp with a large margin
we have found that spacing between the GPU's is very important in achieving lower op temps which yield better and more stable results, as heat by convection seems to creep into the adjacent card's intake fan

you might consider using a thick non conductive barrier (plastic etc) between the cards to minimise heat convection

i know that the distance is limited by the 50-60cm riser usb cable but try to maximise the space between as much as possible, using longer cables is not advisable as electrical resistance increases with cable length and this can cause issues

the 10 card rig (photos and info coming) is using the vertical setup and the results are different

i am currently designing a multi GPU (over 50) cylidrical closed rig setup that will not only be easier in assebly but also use less effort to cool the aircolled GPU's and recycle via thermoelectric principals the heat coming off (currently wasted) to further reduce energy cost. Time allowing i will try to design a smaller version for home use.

we are lucky here in Norway as the water is always cold so liquid cooled GPU's can be fed from a nearby water causeway. but this is a project for later consideration (hope that gives one ideas if they live next to a stream or river in which case look up the STIRLING motor)

to mine or not to mine,
is not a question...
PanzerSheriff

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 09:25:18 PM

What I have realized in my very short time in cryptocurrency mining is that there are many different ways to mine.

My choice has been to use my Vega rig to mine the most profitable currency and trade regularly for BTC. With the Vegas, for the last month, it has CLEARLY been the CryptoNight algorithm and more specifically the ETN (Electroneum) coin. This has definitely been a better desition than to mine Ethererum (or anything else for that matter). Mining ETN on VEGA and selling for BTC daily or weekly is, for now, my preferred option.

I am also convinced that the AMD Vega cards have a great potential but the mining software has to catch up to utilize the power. The next few months will be very exciting!!

BTW, the Bitcoin Forum community is just FANTASTIC. I have learned so much from the more experienced people here, and there is always someone willing to help! Thanks from us newbies!

olegai

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 09:41:25 PM

panzer can you run some tests to see what's the lyra2rev2 and neoscrypt hash rates are on your vega rig? thanks in advance !)
RIGED (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 09:42:18 PM

just for clarity,

i know that ETH mining with these cards does not (at present) yield the best returns in terms of financial gain when compared to other coins, but being a crypro miner, for me at least, is not only about making money but primarily its about BUSTING THE BANKS, i fucking hate them and the current debt slave system imposed on us without consent and by sheer indoctrination from cradle.

If looking at the financial aspect one also has to consider further gains from price fluctuations so cashing in ETH for anything else today, can lead to dismay in the future when ETH price moons. (i know this from my experience in trading commodities)

i am very passionate on this subject as i have internal knowledge of the current global financial system and i would need terabytes to outline the details, history, and implications of our current reality.

Being a crypto miner no matter the scale is an act of REVOLUTION against the fat lazy greedy subhuman pieces of excrement taking all of us for a ride with their tri tier system of control, namely interest, inflation, taxation.

this man deserves recognition for his elloquence in telling the IRS to FUCK OFF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdCfk7a2Va0

BE A REVOLUTIONARY AND MINE

to mine or not to mine,
is not a question...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: