Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:41:26 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best time to buy alts- on the up or on the down?  (Read 244 times)
cluelessjames (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 03:30:33 PM

Just curious whether people see a spike happening and jump on it in the hope or anticipation that the spike will continue, or wait until it plateaus or drops again?

I see things spike like Verge for example and the temptation is to jump on it but my gut tells me that by the time it is spiking it's too late really.

Any thoughts?
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 03:34:56 PM

Just curious whether people see a spike happening and jump on it in the hope or anticipation that the spike will continue, or wait until it plateaus or drops again?

I see things spike like Verge for example and the temptation is to jump on it but my gut tells me that by the time it is spiking it's too late really.

Any thoughts?

I would usually look at the fundamentals of a project first. If it has potential to pump, I look at previous pumps and I would make sure that the graph is calm and horizontal. I don't like buying into pumps unless it's for short term gains where a resistance is broken and a breakthrough is happening, but these don't last so I load my bags fast for profits.

Also dont be the idiot that buys a coin that only goes up against USD and is obviously losing value against BTC.
allanr

Activity: 345
Merit: 114

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2017, 03:41:04 PM

from what i learn, buy a crypto while its cheap not always a good option. See recent history of that coin first if after the price fall there another pump, buy it mate
Sangkuni

Activity: 392
Merit: 114

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 04:01:35 PM

for longterm i buy coin when the coin price down as long the coin have good prospect..
Sundark

Activity: 560
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 04:44:30 PM

Look after altcoins you are interested in and buy those that had stable growth in last months when they dropped in price. That's the smartest way, cuz drops are for a short period of time, they will go up again.
joshmontford

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 04:50:50 PM

on the down, of course! you don't want to pay for it when it is on it's all-time high, wait when it's down and then buy Wink and then hold it or swing trade it.

onetwostep

Activity: 658
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 05:03:06 PM

We see large movements in stock markets as a result of such speculation. Whales are profitable in this business, small investor loses...

Geenstijl
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 05:35:21 PM

The main investor mistake is to buy high, sell low))) It's the obvious rule, that any trader/investor should buy low, sell high. This rule could have some exceptions, but mostly we should use it not to get losses.
nikjain422

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 05:50:13 PM

It depends on which alt you are buying because you have to see the trends of that alt.Every alt is not good to buy in up neither they in down.So you have to do little r&d regarding particular alt like when was last fork and when it was last pumped. With this you can get a clear idea of when to invest in that alt and more importantly how much to invest in that alt.You can get this information in bitcointalk,Google,or any Crytocurrency sites.
Raist

Activity: 490
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 06:02:15 PM

Any thoughts?

From the trading fundamentals to say it simple
"big green candles" - experts are selling and suckers are buying
"red candles on falling market" - experts are buying and suckers are selling
(it is more complicated but for this post is ok)

But crypto market for now has different trading strategies. Nobody will tell you the winning one.
hackzang12

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 06:07:08 PM

The market is very volatile if you want to invest right now sorry bro it's too late to jump in the existing pump. If I were  go for other potential coins that has good fundamentals. Look at this coinmarketcal.com it's all there
CryptoEnthused

Activity: 190
Merit: 15

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 06:08:28 PM

I look at the coin closely. If it's a coin a believe in, then I will buy no matter what. If it drops, I will buy even more. I do not invest just because I see it soars. I do research first. I can't put my money if I don't know what I put them in
dirgayeah

Activity: 868
Merit: 103

*Indonesian Professional Translator and BM*

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2017, 06:08:34 PM

For some case , the trader have a method for buying alt when the price up. But there's condition to do that. Buy when alt up can be do if the price are stable and you are using a MACD or EMA indicator. Every trader have many method to got profit.

EZ365TM        REVOLUTIONARY DIGITAL ASSET ECOSYSTEM 
WHITEPAPER INVESTOR pitch   |   Telegram   |  Twitter   |   Facebook   |
[   PLAY      TRADE      LEARN   ]
sjbi

Activity: 770
Merit: 14

www.thegeomadao.com

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 06:10:13 PM

The books will tell you to buy when price are going up and sell when they are going down.
But no rule actually works in real life scenario as you don't know whether the falling coin would bounce back or remain dead and you don't know when a rising coin would crash to accommodate market correction.

cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 06:11:42 PM

If there was a provably correct specific answer then the game would be over.

Too many factors unknown especially here in wild west crypto where nothing is as it appears.

JanpriX

Activity: 1708
Merit: 606

Buy The F*cking Dip

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 06:13:40 PM

Speaking from my experience, the best time to buy an altcoin is when it is in its bottom price after a huge meltdown. This ensures that you bought at the (possible) cheapest price it could be. Take note that this is very hard to do as you need some analysis to come up with the bottom price of a certain altcoin. And when you catch this bottom price, you'll get the best profit that you could have out of it if it traces up again.

I also wanted to point out that you could profit when you ride on a rising price of an altcoin but just be careful when trying to do such thing. There's a high chance that you could buy the top of it and you'll be in a loss when it consolidates. Experience plays a big part in this type of trading technique so acquiring all the experience that you could get is very essential.
Tipestry

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2017, 06:27:46 PM

Recent price movement can't predict future movement. If it could, people would buy and sell based on that information (in fact they'd write software do it), which would make it impossible to keep doing it because the information would almost immediately be factored into the current price.
markers

Activity: 350
Merit: 106

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 07:17:03 PM

In my opinion, the good time when it's worth buying altcoins is just after significant move up in bitcoin. BTC is real benchmark that determine the price path of other crypto currencies.

mummybtc

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 07:27:19 PM

THis is a simple invest and trading decision, you buy low and sell high, there is no other way around it, what most people do is to buy the hype and they get crushed because they fail to do any technical analysis to help them
NLO

Activity: 448

MenaPay - Crypto made easier than cash

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 09:17:25 PM

the best time to buy currency at the bottom, sell not top.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: