Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:41:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do most Bitcoiners seem intelligent?  (Read 10719 times)
madmadmax (OP)

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 04:27:20 PM

I thought it was only a few $100k?

Point is that it wasn't 20+ million and they wouldn't get him unless so many people would push so hard, needless to say that if that happened with fiat it would take 1% of the effort.

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
im3w1l

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 06:05:25 PM

I disagree. I would rate it as, in descending intelligence

reddit
facebook
bitcointalk
pol

Facebook is of course special because your experience will vary a lot depending on who you know.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 06:42:06 PM

reddit
facebook
bitcointalk
pol

Facebook is of course special because your experience will vary a lot depending on who you know.

Facebook doesn't discriminate based on interests or affiliations, so if you want to use the qualifier "most,"  I would say that "most" of facebook's users are just like average people, i.e. not intelligent.
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 07:51:11 PM

It's quite a futile exercise to rate different social media and the average intelligence of it's users.

Sometimes, you can find nuggets of gold in cesspits.

But in general, I find bitcointalk.org to be of a higher quality in terms of intelligent and challenging input than youtube. But true, bitcointalk have a lot of noise too.

There are some devs here that's really intelligent and also share their ideas and opinions with others. And in general you find people who dare to challenge the current status quo, and don't accept everything that govts do.

I think what you get out of this forum is mostly what you chose to get out of it. You could engage in challenging discussions, or you could engage in mindless trash threads, there's some of them as well.
m4sterch3fed

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:21:59 PM

im afraid of this world if their are more people out there remotely close to mme  Sad
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 10:46:33 PM

reddit
facebook
bitcointalk
pol

Using facebook is a sign of inferior intelligence.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2013, 11:28:41 PM

This forum is filled with a lot of trolls due to very low moderation.

People who cry about "very low moderation" are really complaining about losing arguments and being unable to run to mods to demand they use their authority to intervene.

Bitcoin and bitcoiners eschew centralized power; few on these forums emulate your pro-nanny whimpering.

Most here are adults with healthy senses of humor, capable of laughing at or simply ignoring the occasional genuine troll.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 04:23:10 AM

Most here are adults with healthy senses of humor, capable of laughing at or simply ignoring the occasional genuine troll.

For once I agree with you, I think what helps the Bitcoin forums so much is the fact that we have a functioning ignore function that way if you don't want to be forced to read someone else's posts, especially if they annoy you, they can be hidden, I find it difficult to believe anyone who thinks that any sort of block function needs to be removed has genuinely good intentions.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 07:10:10 AM

For once I agree with you, I think what helps the Bitcoin forums so much is the fact that we have a functioning ignore function that way if you don't want to be forced to read someone else's posts, especially if they annoy you, they can be hidden, I find it difficult to believe anyone who thinks that any sort of block function needs to be removed has genuinely good intentions.

I'd donate, if donators had the option of disabling non-donators' ability to ignore them.  

I'd donate even more for 'Power Troll' status that formats my posts in a larger font, but only for non-donators who tried to ignore me.

Wouldn't that be the most annoying thing EVAR?   Grin Grin Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
jarhed

Activity: 672
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 10:55:25 PM

Argh!!
After this I'm ignoring the OP, thus erasing this masturbatory thread from my front page view.

Why I seem intelligent? Because I'm surrounded by idiots.

Are you feeling less pretty today? Surround yourself with ugly people.

Are you feeling unwealthy today? Go find some poor people.

Wanna know what's it like to be a god? Get monkeys.

RationalSpeculator

Activity: 294

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 11:15:19 PM

You may remember that when it started, Facebook was only between Harvard students. Rich, bright kids. Now that it's mainstream, intelligence level of the average user has come down dramatically. With BTC still in an early phase, intelligence level of the average bitcoiner is high, but this will not last, and nobody should want it to last.

It's awful, but if we want bitcoin's success, we want it to be used by dumb blondes, high school dropouts, sickos, Homer Simpson, etc...

Interesting how you correlate harvard students with bright, and trow high school dropouts together with the dumb blonds.

You might want to read some stories about Bill Gates, Steve Jobs etc.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 11:31:56 PM

You may remember that when it started, Facebook was only between Harvard students. Rich, bright kids. Now that it's mainstream, intelligence level of the average user has come down dramatically. With BTC still in an early phase, intelligence level of the average bitcoiner is high, but this will not last, and nobody should want it to last.

It's awful, but if we want bitcoin's success, we want it to be used by dumb blondes, high school dropouts, sickos, Homer Simpson, etc...

Interesting how you correlate harvard students with bright, and trow high school dropouts together with the dumb blonds.

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are not high school dropouts... In fact, Bill Gates is a Harvard student...
RationalSpeculator

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 11:39:12 PM

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are not high school dropouts... In fact, Bill Gates is a Harvard student...

Let me correct that for you:

"In fact, Bill Gates is a Harvard student dropout."

High school means higher education in Europe (+18 year), OP might have meant people that drop out of school between the age of 12-18?

I think 'university' and 'school', on average, do more bad than good. Hence dropping out of it is a mark of achievement in many cases.  

I have the impression, which might just be me, that people with the best grades do generally worse in life later on than people with poor or average grades.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 11:45:14 PM

High school means higher education in Europe (+18 year), OP might have meant people that drop out of school between the age of 12-18?

I think university and school do more bad than good for the intelligence of a human being.

The use of Harvard, rather than Cambridge or Oxford, is an indication that the poster is American.

Also, I do not see how school does more bad than good for intelligence, though this depends on one's definition of intelligence. Most people I consider to be intelligent are well-educated.
RationalSpeculator

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 11:50:22 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2013, 12:04:10 AM by RationalSpeculator

I think university and school do more bad than good for the intelligence of a human being.

The use of Harvard, rather than Cambridge or Oxford, is an indication that the poster is American.

Also, I do not see how school does more bad than good for intelligence, though this depends on one's definition of intelligence. Most people I consider to be intelligent are well-educated.

I mean with intelligence, wisdom. Sorry if that was not clear.

Most people I have known that were well educated (high degrees/grades), were not wise, nor happy.

The explanation for that is that education is learning you to submit rather than think for yourself. To do as other people say, rather than follow your feelings.

I think school is a prison and university just a milder form of it. True learning is what happens when you follow your interests in freedom, like what happens here.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 12:04:31 AM

Most people I have known that were well educated (high degrees/grades), were not wise, nor happy.

The explanation for that is that education is learning you to submit rather than think for yourself. To do as other people say, rather than follow your feelings.

School looks much more like a prison than anything else.

My husband is a senior software architect.  He has learned that in hiring if the resume has "Masters" or "Doctorate"  he is less likely to want to even interview the person.  The main reason is that the person thinks he is smarter just because of the degree and is often so tied to what he "learned" in college without really working in the "real world" that the education becomes a negative instead of a positive.  He would joke with colleagues when he saw "masters degree" on the resume and then toss it in the trash.

I think sometimes the smarter you are the less the person wants to bother with "higher education."  Just my observations here.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 12:10:24 AM

School looks much more like a prison than anything else.

My husband is a senior software architect.  He has learned that in hiring if the resume has "Masters" or "Doctorate"  he is less likely to want to even interview the person.  The main reason is that the person thinks he is smarter just because of the degree and is often so tied to what he "learned" in college without really working in the "real world" that the education becomes a negative instead of a positive.  He would joke with colleagues when he saw "masters degree" on the resume and then toss it in the trash.

I think sometimes the smarter you are the less the person wants to bother with "higher education."  Just my observations here.

superiority bias. i think i'm smarter than you their for you dont have anything to teach me. these sorts of people may be ahead in the beginning but that attitude inhibits their growth potential and they gradually begin to fall behind. of course they never realize it but everyone else does and they end up becoming even more cynical, "they are all just too dumb to realize how smart i actually am".

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 12:14:38 AM

Most people I have known that were well educated, were not wise.

I'm not sure I would consider either Bill Gates or Steve Jobs especially wise. Each of them has made numerous questionable decisions.

Wisdom is something obtained through decades of experience. Some who are wise are also otherwise intelligent: philosophers are usually among societies' wisest, and they are usually considered intelligent by other metrics also. But many wise people are not especially intelligent by other metrics, and have merely grown wise with age and experience. A war veteran, for example, is often wise, but not necessarily intelligent by other metrics.

While it's true that schooling has little impact on wisdom, I do not see why it would harm wisdom. It's true that many wise people were poorly schooled: Jean-Jacques Rousseau comes to mind. However, many of the wisest people in history were exceptionally well-schooled: Aristotle, one of history's wisest philosophers, was schooled at Plato's academy—the highest education available then.

All in all, I feel that education carries little harm along with it—indeed, most who succeed are well-educated. Whether this is because of education or because of alternative factors (such as access to education) is not definitively known, but there is nonetheless strong correlation between schooling and productivity in later life. I certainly have not noticed a pronounced decrease in prudence or wisdom as a consequence of education; however, I am interested in any studies that argue the contrary.
MrHempstock

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

"Don't worry. My career died after Batman, too."

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 03:44:17 AM

4chans /pol or reddit, facebook, twitter, pretty much any big community and/or social network people
These groups are not representative of humanity at large. At least, I hope to Eris they aren't. Undecided
They're not representative of humanity at large. They're representative of humanity at large in 15-20 years.

Erisian ideology is stronger than ever, because more than ever, society at large is supreme commander of fuckin' idiot. The dumber we are, as a whole, the smarter we, as individuals, think we are. That's the true cycle of revolutions, and why we're destined to become continually more stupid. The rise of Discordianism is nothing less than an indicator of an imminent cultural revolution. - And more pony porn.

Trolo-fucking-lo.

Fun fact: Disco kiddies are some of the angriest people I've ever met.

Also, stupid people have more babies. Probably because they're bored.
Intelligent people have less, because it's the intelligent thing to do.
  Result = general IQ is plummeting, and that's perfectly fine with The Powers That Be.
I know I don't like it when my sheep question me.

BTCitcointalk 1%ers manipulate the currency and deceive its user community.
EscrowBTC

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 07:22:34 AM

"Seem"

That's well said!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: