Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:51:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... 166 »
  Print  
Author Topic: MasterCoin: New Protocol Layer Starting From “The Exodus Address”  (Read 448419 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
TomHirsch

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:01:37 PM

What you have here is already a great entry into our programming contest (thread coming soon), and could earn you thousands of dollars worth of prize money (depending on how much further you develop it and what cool stuff other people come up with)
This is insanely brilliant and a great benefit to all participants!  Good going with this approach.  I love it.  great community.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 06:04:06 PM

Hey Tachikoma,

I just checked this out. SO COOL!! It appears to work correctly with the addresses which purchased with only one input, and for the simple-send transactions I have tested. It breaks on multi-input transactions (for instance: http://blockchain.info/tx/4eb12949ed57e8ba3495ef4c51c5b8675c780f7586c59fa62c3bf18246f8d52d which should have purchased a little over 500 MasterCoins for the input address contributing the most funds. It appears that multiple inputs are each being credited with the purchase.)

Yeah rbdrbd has reported this last night and I will work on an update as soon as my life presents me with a slot of free time Wink

It appears that blockexplorer timestamps agree with your method. Can you confirm this? I wonder if blockchain.info timestamps are based on when their client first saw the transaction broadcast (i.e. data not stored in the blockchain). If so, then we can't use that timestamp (and my greasemonkey script is slightly wrong!)

The times I have don't match up exactly but it's close. Blockchain.info displays the propagation time by default. If you check this transaction. You can see the received time and the included at in blocks time. Since received time is different for every running server it seems only logical to include the included in block time.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:36:58 PM

I'd like to buy 1000 please PM
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 06:38:09 PM

I'd like to buy 1000 please PM
There's a thread for that: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=287145.0

Please also specify in your post there what is the price you are willing to pay.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 06:50:09 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2013, 07:02:41 PM by markm

4) As a result of 0-3, it follows that prices cannot be calculated at any time because prices are the result of value judgements and there is no means of performing mathematical operations on 'value'.   Prices do not define value, values cause prices.

+1 this is the crux of the issue, and was what I was trying to get across before.

Some people say they want a coin with a stable price, but do they, really? What they actually want is a coin that is valued such that they can rely on it's price. That's an altogether different thing.

Something has a reliably stable price over time because people trust and assign a stable value to it.

However the corollary is NOT true. I can try to sell my turds for a fixed price. That in no way makes them valuable. Furthermore, the minute any fools are lured into paying my "stable price" for them, someone else smarter and richer will be able to profit by speculating on their real value.

To me there seem to be problems in the above.

Consider for example a profit-seeking opportunistic merchant or trader, buying and selling any legal and not too massively toxic-to-them goods and/or services whether they value those goods and/or services or not. For some reason or lack of ability to reason, maybe brainwashing, maybe fear of the taxman or fear that the social safety net where they live won't feed clothe and shelter them if they fail to "buy off" those threats in one specific so called "unit of value" those threats foist off upon them: the so called "fiat" that, by fiat of those local threats, is demanded of them where they live.

Prices do define value, certainly as an ordinal/order type of measure and, according to the forensic accountants employed by the gangs/organisations associated with those threats (typically the gang at whose fiat that so called fiat currency is operated / imposed / demanded / required), even as actual "natural numbers", heck nowadays usually even as "real numbers". (Not sure if imaginary numbers work in accounting or finance though, maybe just integers/naturals and reals? or have I simply not noticed or discovered yet some formulas for calculating option prices or something that do actually use square roots and further are also able to work just fine when the values whose roots are taken are negative and furthermore do so by using imaginary numbers instead of by taking the absolute value of the root?)

What I am trying to get at is to a "disinterested merchant", there is no pair in their trades. When they sell you a can of beans they are not trading a can of beans for some "units of value" at all in their own motivational system, they are actually trading you a lower number of those fiat "units of value" for a higher number of those fiat "units of value". The can of beans is just a token, a symbol, a representation, a holodeck hologram on the holodeck known as "the real world", which actually as far as their motivation is concerned, and as far as their general ledger is concerned, and as far as their accounts-payable is concerned, and as far as their accounts-receivable is concerned, is really just "less fiat than the amount of fiat they are selling it to you for".

it is only their inventory system that cares whether it is a can of beans that cost them less than you are offering or a box of detergent that cost them less than you are offering. What it is doesn't matter as long as they bought it for less fiat than you are offering or can restock for less fiat than you are offering or that will cost them less to get rid of than to hold onto.

Does this idea that to them they are not trading a pair make any sense to anyone? is trying to explain their situation as amounting to them not really being engaged in trading a pair with you causing any lightbulb moments for you? You walk into a store looking to do a fiat/beans exchange, but the store is in the business of doing a "less fiat for more fiat" exchange mediated by means of a whole panoply of goods and services that are in a way just hoolodeck objects, symbols, or illusions, just whatever smoke and mirrors it takes to convince you to pay them more fiat for something you see in it than it actually was to their general ledger when they posted it to their inventory ledger (which is just a subledger of their general ledger).

You walk into the shop as an agent of your inventory ledger, looking to pick up some inventory, maybe even some specific type of inventory. They though are there as an agent of their general ledger, unless your choices of which items of inventory you want to buy are able to communicate to them some hint that if they modified some details of their inventory ledger going forward their general ledger might show a higher "bottom line" than it would if they merely restocked whatever items of inventory you buy. (E.G. unless your decisions about what exactly to buy lead them to the idea that selling something other than what they currently sell might increase the amount of fiat they stand to gain from you going forward.)

This whole "unit of value" thing called "money" really distorts perceptions a lot it seems. it usually even causes the fundamental idea that you both profit from your exchange to get screwed around with, making it look, to "general ledgers", as if one of you profited and the other lost!

Seriously! It has such a massive bias about the so called "unit of account" or "unit of value" that you typically end up walking out of the shop with a perishable consumable can of beans that you typically cannot sell for more than you paid it for, thus you made a loss as far as your general ledger would show IF you used the same "units of account" as the shopkeeper instead of exercising your mental freedom to choose to cast your general ledger in terms of cans of beans, or even in terms of happiness, or well-fed-ness, or "utiles" or, in general, something other than the unit of account in which the forensic accountants are going to be taxing the shopkeeper (and maybe you too) in.

By forcing everyone's ledger to be accounted in "money" instead of having it be accounted in totally arbitrary inventory items including such items as happiness, "utiles", well-fed-ness, whatever (arbitrary is really very arbitrary, but using the meaning of arbitrary in which it could be any damned thing or any blessed thing or any thing or experience or state or event rather than the meaning of arbitrary in which fiat is, arbitrarily, the gang whose fiat it is deciding arbitrarily what shall be fiat and what is not [their] fiat), most normal day to day exchanges divide actors into buyers and sellers, instead of keeping it totally clear in the forefront of everyone's mind that both actors are, in buying, actually selling what they are buying with and, in selling, are actually buying what they are selling for.

As soon as we (arbitrarily?) bias the narrative/viewpoint/language/situation into one party selling and the other buying rather than both simultaneously doing both, huge swathes of real social gain. community gain, real ability to get things done gain and so on vanish from foreground-view.

Consider a computer programmer and a carpenter; the programmer has a box of saws and hammers and such, the carpenter has a computer. If they exchanged, their entire community would be better off because two of its members would be equipped with tools they have the skills to use instead of being stuck with a bunch of junk that some other skillset than their own might maybe have some use for but that they themselves cannot really put to use other than as junk to sell to try to raise enough "value" to somehow get closer to having something they actually have the skills to use. Their community had two untooled workers before the exchange and has two tooled workers after the exchange. Both profit and have also created value for their surroundings aka their community also profits!

Introduce fiat into that and all of a sudden it is the tax assessor's assessment of the fiat value of those tools that determines which of the two profits, and the profit is "at the expense of" the other!!!

The "unit of account" or "unit of value" tries to treat a tools/computer exchange as an exchange of one assessed value for another assessed value which might or might not be assessed as numerically the same value. Accounted that way only one of the two can profit: the one that ended up with the higher of the two assessed values.

if the assessment is for tax purposes, and the tax is supposedly paid to the community or society, then the community or society is trying to do this whole shoving of fiat down their throats seemingly for the purpose of extracting from them extra profit over and above the massive gain it is already making by having now two tooled up members instead of two untooled members!

Society is kind of scamming them in a way, trying to extort from them something else despite their having enriched society by causing two of society's members to be better equipped than they had been prior to the trade.

It is some twisted form of myopia or tunnel-vision.

It is why in my Digitalis D'ydii Cluster game I treated the local currency of each world as an intrinsically worthless abstraction, a mere unit of comparison players could choose to use as the unit in which price lists are displayed, a unit that they left behind as a tip to the starport when they flew off to another starsystem with "actual cargo". I let the players pick any item on the price list as the unit in which to display prices, because who the heck cares about the billions of trillions of zillions of local currencies the oodles of starsystems of the swarms of galaxies of the groups of supergroups of galaxies of the clusters and superclusters of galaxies offered as optional units to print/display their local price lists in, what the players really cared about what how much of what they brought with them to that planet it was going to cost them to obtain what they would like to take with them from that planet.

If your cargo holds contain only cans of beans, then you might as well have the price list display the prices of everything else as so many cans of beans. (Another popular unit of account was tons of fuel, since to take anything away from that planet was going to consume fuel...)

It has been decades and still lots of potential-players still don't seem to "get" that money is just another item of inventory, except to those who are brainwashed into thinking the fact lots of folk on the planet they happen to be on tend to use it, rather than cans of beans or tons of fuel or sticks of gum or cones of icecream, as the unit in which to display prices.

I like the argument that value/price must be mutually agreed upon each trade, but I doubt the tax gang will enjoy having to accept whatever you think their services are worth to you instead of what they think their services are worth...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
superfluouso

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 08:34:23 PM

There's someone else utilizing the MasterCoin name for their completely unrelated bitcoin product - a sort of credit card like representation of a bitcoin address:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1lmm8m/kickstarter_cryptocard_by_mastercoin_a_physical/

This seems to be a totally unnecessary product and I'm hopeful the MasterCoin project will totally overshadow this, but just wanted to point out things like this may create initial confusion about MasterCoin as there will now be three separate entities using the same term.
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 08:37:18 PM

In order to use this source code, you will need to install python 2.7 and also pycrypto for python 2.7, which I got here: http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/modules.shtml#pycrypto
This is for Windows only! Any Mac version?
dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 08:42:45 PM

In order to use this source code, you will need to install python 2.7 and also pycrypto for python 2.7, which I got here: http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/modules.shtml#pycrypto

Heh. For python, yes. I have no idea about pycrypto. I would assume there is something available for Mac.

klee
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 08:46:31 PM

Heh. For python, yes. I have no idea about pycrypto. I would assume there is something available for Mac.
I will post if find something...
rbdrbd

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 10:24:37 PM

Not sure if pycrypto builds for Mac, but you could always try checking out the source from https://github.com/dlitz/pycrypto (e.g. "git clone https://github.com/dlitz/pycrypto")
then change dir to that directory and issue something like "python setup.py", then "python setup.py install" ...standard python module stuff. You may need some extra dependencies.

EDIT: These instructions at http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/how-to-install-python-and-pycrypto/ may work.
dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 10:43:24 PM

Here's my reply to a PM I got from somebody worried that their MasterCoin address wasn't showing up in Bitcoin QT:

Hi,

First off, I am EXTREMELY sorry for taking up your time with such an amateur question.  I'll make it quick and if I don't get an answer I promise I will not be offended.  I don't want to post in the thread and reveal my addresses and I don't want to look silly if I'm making a supernoob mistake.

I sent .XX BTC to the exodus address from my QT wallet.

The blockchain is showing it coming from an address that I don't have in my wallet "RECEIVE" area.

<address> is not in my address list for receiving BTC...  I thought using my QT wallet would allow me to send/receive with the same addresses. 

again, apologies if I am missing something super trivial about bitcoin and wallets... I'm semi-new here.

so are my MasterCoins un-retrievable?

thanks,
---

Probably the coins came from an address which previously was used for receiving change. Those addresses don't show up in the list of receiving addresses.

Don't worry - even though the address doesn't show up in your list of receiving addresses, you can still use it for MasterCoin. The same steps apply.

I expect that others may have had this question, so I'll remove your details and post this to the project thread.

Thanks!

klee
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 10:55:20 PM

Not sure if pycrypto builds for Mac, but you could always try checking out the source from https://github.com/dlitz/pycrypto (e.g. "git clone https://github.com/dlitz/pycrypto")
then change dir to that directory and issue something like "python setup.py", then "python setup.py install" ...standard python module stuff. You may need some extra dependencies.

EDIT: These instructions at http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/how-to-install-python-and-pycrypto/ may work.
Hey thanks a lot - will try to see if I can make this work!
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 11:00:34 PM

(I think) I've fixed the reported problems when calculating coins bought with multiple inputs and updated the url to the easier to remember http://mastercoin-explorer.com/.

The next feature I will add is a (webbased) Mastercoin Advisor clone so everybody has easy access to it.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
klee
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 11:07:28 PM

(I think) I've fixed the reported problems when calculating coins bought with multiple inputs and updated the url to the easier to remember http://mastercoin-explorer.com/.

The next feature I will add is a (webbased) Mastercoin Advisor clone so everybody has easy access to it.
That would be great!
dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 11:12:55 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2013, 11:43:29 PM by dacoinminster

That would be great!

Daaaang.

You'll have a big head start on the coding contest! Are you angling to get hired by the MasterCoin Foundation??

edit: It looks like this one is still wrong: http://blockchain.info/tx/b23037c9e680f0f7033f547bc1ddcb7eb08f8170bf7be221d90ad1f21050e2b5
That transaction has two input addresses, and it appears that mastercoin-explorer credits them both with the same purchase (should only be the larger input that gets credited).

Also, this recent send appears to crash the site: http://mastercoin-explorer.com/transactions/4cad027f03f984d7745c077820617318c7553a90ca64be56e78217fc18cf4ea5

That site is so freakishly awesome! I can't wait to see where this is going.

TomHirsch

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 12:02:45 AM

Fantastic!  It looks great.  Works great too.  Keep up the good work.  Smiley

Yep - great start to have an energetic guy making nice tools to kick things off right.  Who will follow?
joele
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 01:05:34 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2013, 01:16:13 AM by joele

When is the coding contest starts?
My domain masterblockchain.info is now ready, I need motivation to start coding.
superfluouso

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 07:08:52 AM

For various reasons, I was curious to know the total number of MasterCoins purchased.   

In case anyone else is interested, I come up with: 554297.26590274 (MTC?)

As expected, I believe JR currently holds the largest share at roughly 32%.

Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2013, 07:12:15 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2013, 12:50:53 PM by Tachikoma

Daaaang.

You'll have a big head start on the coding contest! Are you angling to get hired by the MasterCoin Foundation??

Neh not looking to get hired. I have way too much going on as it is already. Just trying to contribute where there is nothing yet. I'm sure others will take over but for now there is at least something.

edit: It looks like this one is still wrong: http://blockchain.info/tx/b23037c9e680f0f7033f547bc1ddcb7eb08f8170bf7be221d90ad1f21050e2b5
That transaction has two input addresses, and it appears that mastercoin-explorer credits them both with the same purchase (should only be the larger input that gets credited).
Thanks for all these edge cases; I will put out a fix when I can.

My blockchain is behind again so the library throws an error which I am not catching on the website. Will make sure I fix that and update the blockchain.
Edit: Blockchain caught up to this transaction and errors are now properly handled.

Thanks Smiley

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 04, 2013, 07:47:06 AM

Isn't the fact that the OP holds roughly 30% of the Mastercoins in circulation a big concern? His course of action (holding or selling) will drive market price.

One more question: will the bounties for the developers be denominated in BTC or Mastercoins? I think it would be cool to give Mastercoins to spread them in more hands while helping broader adoption.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... 166 »
  Print  

Jump to: