Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:04:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 »
  Print  
Author Topic: MasterCoin: New Protocol Layer Starting From “The Exodus Address”  (Read 448419 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Herp

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 05:04:50 PM

Feel free to add most recent Mastercoin related videos (3-4 months old) to this thread : Mastercoin Videos

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:55:45 AM

So do I have this right?  We paid a fancy 'PR' agency 18 thousand dollars - and all they got was one article in Forbes with mostly incorrect information and the other information was wildly ambiguous.

Boy, oh boy, I sure hope the Foundation doesn't pull that trick again.  That 'giv-a-way' was worse than the faucet.  Can we have a report on the activity taken up by our 'PR' firm?  Is there some documentation of the work they did for this money?  An accounting on this topic might be nice.

Thank you.
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 04:32:33 AM

So do I have this right?  We paid a fancy 'PR' agency 18 thousand dollars - and all they got was one article in Forbes with mostly incorrect information and the other information was wildly ambiguous.

Boy, oh boy, I sure hope the Foundation doesn't pull that trick again.  That 'giv-a-way' was worse than the faucet.  Can we have a report on the activity taken up by our 'PR' firm?  Is there some documentation of the work they did for this money?  An accounting on this topic might be nice.

Thank you.

they had the article in Vice that came out a couple days ago, set up a panel at Inside Bitcoins LV last month which led to a few video interviews with Ron, there are a few other conferences they are working on, they did a couple press releases as well.  there is probably a few other things but that is what I recall at the moment
TKeenan

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:37:20 AM

So do I have this right?  We paid a fancy 'PR' agency 18 thousand dollars - and all they got was one article in Forbes with mostly incorrect information and the other information was wildly ambiguous.

Boy, oh boy, I sure hope the Foundation doesn't pull that trick again.  That 'giv-a-way' was worse than the faucet.  Can we have a report on the activity taken up by our 'PR' firm?  Is there some documentation of the work they did for this money?  An accounting on this topic might be nice.

Thank you.

they had the article in Vice that came out a couple days ago, set up a panel at Inside Bitcoins LV last month which led to a few video interviews with Ron, there are a few other conferences they are working on, they did a couple press releases as well.  there is probably a few other things but that is what I recall at the moment
Was it worth $18K?
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:20:38 AM

So do I have this right?  We paid a fancy 'PR' agency 18 thousand dollars - and all they got was one article in Forbes with mostly incorrect information and the other information was wildly ambiguous.

Boy, oh boy, I sure hope the Foundation doesn't pull that trick again.  That 'giv-a-way' was worse than the faucet.  Can we have a report on the activity taken up by our 'PR' firm?  Is there some documentation of the work they did for this money?  An accounting on this topic might be nice.

Thank you.

they had the article in Vice that came out a couple days ago, set up a panel at Inside Bitcoins LV last month which led to a few video interviews with Ron, there are a few other conferences they are working on, they did a couple press releases as well.  there is probably a few other things but that is what I recall at the moment
Was it worth $18K?

Probably. It's a start you know- you pay a PR firm to seed the ground. You still have to make it grow.

more or less retired.
Tachikoma

Activity: 938

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 03:07:24 PM

FYI; Mastercoin-explorer will be going down for some maintenance and optimisations. These changes are mostly internally and if all goes well nothing should change. If it does, the consensus check should let me know but please ping me if you suspect something is wrong.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
prophetx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 04:01:31 PM

Thank you.

they had the article in Vice that came out a couple days ago, set up a panel at Inside Bitcoins LV last month which led to a few video interviews with Ron, there are a few other conferences they are working on, they did a couple press releases as well.  there is probably a few other things but that is what I recall at the moment
Was it worth $18K?

Probably. It's a start you know- you pay a PR firm to seed the ground. You still have to make it grow.

the 18k was for 3 months so they have another month of work to do.  

I do hope to see them get more traction from known bloggers and analysts in the future as the wallets and distributed exchange become usable with real MSC.  there is still a lot of development work to do
superfluouso

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 10:24:10 PM

Jeffrey Tucker just tweeted that Michael Terpin will be speaking at the North American bitcoin conference to be held at the end of this month in Miami so I would expect more mastercoin coverage there as well.

btcmiami.com
prophetx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 11:15:58 PM

looks like mastercoin get a mention in this analyst report, first ever i think

https://equities.wedbush.com/clientsite/Research/ActionAlertFilePreview.asp?UUID=8F27B170-5C0F-4A17-8A59-A33229236B04&ViewerID=1CE41D7D-B184-45DA-AF98-1334A2E3030F

Mastercoin, for example, aims to take advantage of these recent updates and operates as a distributed exchange that sits on top of the
blockchain. This development would enable any financial asset (bonds, stocks, commodities, etc.) to be exchanged across the bitcoin
network in the same way the Bitcoin currency is exchanged currently. In this way, the blockchain acts as a trusted intermediary.
dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 01:22:15 AM

Even if J.R.'s paper is as brilliant as he apparently thinks it is, a normal person in his shoes would publish it with a less tacky title and let people realize its worth on their own.

Supposedly J.R.'s paper was going to be called, "An extraordinary work of breathtaking cryptographic genius" but being the humble guy he his, he opted for something simpler. ;-)

LOL!

The paper title was a result of my wishing that someone would write an ambitious spec for building cool stuff on top of bitcoin. I kept mumbling to myself that there needed to be a second bitcoin whitepaper. Finally, I got tired of waiting and took a crack at it.

The paper title was purposefully controversial. I figured a boring title would get me a lot fewer readers. Perhaps I turned some people off with that title. Oh well - it's too late to go back now.

Despite the title of the paper, I am actually quite humble. I'm easily the most humble person alive (possibly the most humble person of all time)!

P.S. Today is the two-year anniversary of publishing that paper!

TKeenan

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:51:45 AM

Congratulations!  The paper is brilliant.  The concept is brilliant.  

However, I think the execution is questionable.  It doesn't seem like anyone is doing anything.  Is Ron Gross on an extended vacation?  Where did everyone go?  I see almost zero activity these days.  Nothing from the coders.  'Hello - is anybody out there?'

Why is the Mastercoin website http://www.mastercoin.org/ horrible and amateurish while the NXT website http://www.nxtcrypto.org/ is flat out awesome?  

Why does Colored Coin have a cool video with a Lizard and nobody at Mastercoin can put together a decent graphical explanation of what it is about?  

How is it that Mastercoin has feeble forum participation?

It sucks that Mastercoin exposure is so awful.  

Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 04:07:23 AM

However, I think the execution is questionable.  It doesn't seem like anyone is doing anything.  Is Ron Gross on an extended vacation?  Where did everyone go?  I see almost zero activity these days.  Nothing from the coders.  'Hello - is anybody out there?'

Why is the Mastercoin website http://www.mastercoin.org/ horrible and amateurish while the NXT website http://www.nxtcrypto.org/ is flat out awesome?  

Why does Colored Coin have a cool video with a Lizard and nobody at Mastercoin can put together a decent graphical explanation of what it is about?  

+1
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:11:55 AM

The execution is questionable because no one is really executing. There's only one full time researcher and two full time developers (will only become full time months later). Is there any full time CEO or executive director?

No offence to JR, but I think if I were you, having at least 100K MSC ( > 15 million dollars now), I have no reason to hesitate in leaving my day job and becomes full time in the project you really love. I don't think you will be someone who will think 15 million is enough and let me enjoy the life instead. In that case, the 15 million will soon become nothing.
TKeenan

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:05:37 AM

Is there any full time CEO or executive director?
The ED is Ron Gross.  But he isn't doing much to keep the interest momentum going. 
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:08:25 AM

Is there any full time CEO or executive director?
The ED is Ron Gross.  But he isn't doing much to keep the interest momentum going. 
I know that Ron is the ED but I doubt he is full time.
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:10:56 AM

I probably be missing something, I'm curious why do we need to build a coin on top of bitcoin blockchain. Why can't we just encode protocols (distributed exchange, etc) on top of bitcoin and use btc itself as measurement instead of having to IPO Exodus ?

For example, http://pastebin.com/jwijxhHt, yes there maybe many flaws on FC proposal, but point is what's the point of building more coin on top of btc where we can just encode whatever we want to encode on the blockchain. Is it just to fund development cost?
TKeenan

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:20:40 AM

I probably be missing something, I'm curious why do we need to build a coin on top of bitcoin blockchain. Why can't we just encode protocols (distributed exchange, etc) on top of bitcoin and use btc itself as measurement instead of having to IPO Exodus ?
The stability of bitcoin is vigorously protected by the foundation.  One way they accomplish this is by making very tiny changes.  They have completely turned off scripting - which might cause unexpected problems.  They only make VERY minor changes to assure the integrity of the system.  So, bitcoin will necessarily be left as a rock solid protocol which doesn't move much over time.  Mastercoin enjoys the wild recklessness which comes with allowing special new rules. But, this extra function comes with a stability price.  If the coders are awesome, great function will come without trouble.   But either way, bitcoin will remain rock solid. 
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:47:57 AM

The stability of bitcoin is vigorously protected by the foundation.  One way they accomplish this is by making very tiny changes.  They have completely turned off scripting - which might cause unexpected problems.  They only make VERY minor changes to assure the integrity of the system.  So, bitcoin will necessarily be left as a rock solid protocol which doesn't move much over time.  Mastercoin enjoys the wild recklessness which comes with allowing special new rules. But, this extra function comes with a stability price.  If the coders are awesome, great function will come without trouble.   But either way, bitcoin will remain rock solid. 

I'm not saying bitcoin protocol needs to be changed in order to support protocols on top of it.  Is it possible to do what mastercoin try to solve without introducing another coin, by using the same approach of embedding information on the blockchain ?
culexevilman
Legendary

Activity: 1064

Bitcoin is too valuable to be used as a currency

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 06:49:38 AM

I'm not saying bitcoin protocol needs to be changed in order to support protocols on top of it.  Is it possible to do what mastercoin try to solve without introducing another coin, by using the same approach of embedding information on the blockchain ?

Whats theres to gain by the board being lazy? Is it not in everyones interest to push Mastercoin as forward as we can?
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:56:51 AM

For example, http://pastebin.com/jwijxhHt, yes there maybe many flaws on FC proposal, but point is what's the point of building more coin on top of btc where we can just encode whatever we want to encode on the blockchain. Is it just to fund development cost?

I saw that proposal before, and it was translated from the so-call leaked version of AsicMiner on-blockchain exchange. However, that protocol is not a real decentralized exchange. It requires a central authority to issue some codes for each asset and be trusted by all users.

In that protocol all information are encoded in BTC amount. For example, if a person want to sell his AM shares for 100 BTC, he has to send 100 BTC (plus other small amounts for extra information and mining fee) to the predefined AM selling address first and then the 100 BTC will be returned to him from that address. This has two drawbacks: 1) it requires people to trust the central authority to send back the BTC. 2) the sender has to have that amount of BTC first. How about I just have AM shares, but have no 100 BTC?

Pages: « 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 »
  Print  

Jump to: