Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:55:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anonymity, Security and Privacy: Anonymous Cryptocurrency Enhancement Comparsion  (Read 2970 times)
SafeCoins (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 19

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 07:52:16 AM
Last edit: January 04, 2018, 09:14:02 PM by SafeCoins
Merited by veleten (1)

The following is an updated attempt to assess and evaluate:

1.   Enhancements/Protocols:

a. Anonymous Capabilities / Anonymity
    b. Privacy
    c) Security

2.   The coins that currently implement these features

Every will be made to assume none of these coins are a complete solution (yet).  Not because they're bad, but because a lot of the other comparison threads out there have been polarized toward one coin as the "solution with all the best end to end features".  

I would really appreciate your thoughts and input on this work in progress, so that together, we can make it even more complicated and unreadable.

Anonymous, Privacy, and Security features are clearly all related to one another, yet in my mind are distinct:

Anonymous features ultimately aim for the holding and transacting of a commodity which both requires and releases zero identifying information.
              Buy a pizza.  No receipt, no exchange of information, no record of the pizza or you.
                    There are obvious legal implications to this, causing it to be a "dark" feature.
                          However, this slander assumes that the governing body itself is not "dark", or corrupt.   In many places in the world, Anonymity is a matter of life and death.
                          As such, Anonymity is a double edged sword, aiding both sinister and altruistic efforts.
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_(group)

Privacy features aim to give ownership of identifying information to individuals/entities who hold or transact a commodity.
              Buy a pizza, there's a record of it but that record is for you (and potentially the pizza shop) only.
                    There is a legal arguement for privacy features.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_law

Security:  If you can hack the thing, you need not worry about Anonymity and Privacy.  Those are out.

Some other attempts at this:  

Full list of anonymous coins
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1025878.0

[DASH/XDN/XMR/SDC] Comparison between the most known anonymous coins
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=985039.0

Privacy getting important: Verge or Spectrecoin or DeepOnion??
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2397519.0;all

Which cryptocurrency is most anonymous?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2157374.0

https://zcoin.io/zcoins-privacy-tec

Wondering about this one:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2525344.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CrazyCreeptonaut

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 07:57:51 AM

Komodo is the best anonymous coin
its not relaying only on the code of the coin (zk snarks), it also has 3rd trustless service that mixing your coin and gives you a new address
its called JUMBLR

SafeCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 08:09:59 AM

Komodo is the best anonymous coin
its not relaying only on the code of the coin (zk snarks), it also has 3rd trustless service that mixing your coin and gives you a new address
its called JUMBLR

OK thanks, I have the whitepaper here:   https://github.com/SuperNETorg/komodo/wiki/JUMBLR-Whitepaper

So my question would be, does this actually make Komodo more Anonymous, or does it just help to make bitcoin more anonymous in mixing?  Not to belittle that accomplishment, I just want to make sure its purpose is clearly understood.

SafeCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 07:53:32 PM
Last edit: January 01, 2018, 10:06:40 PM by SafeCoins

Also possibly worth mentioning....the cryptonote forks:

AEON, QUAZAR, Boolberry (why did it die???), Dashcoin, Darknetcoin, Fantomcoin, Pebblecoin (why you die??)

Perhaps the notable one in this list is....AEON?  

Shadowcoin may be dead but should still be mentioned here somewhere.

What other coins/features am I missing?
sycaburatan

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 07:56:58 PM

XMR is indeed outdated by these new privacy coins i am looking forward to XSPEC's market dominance in 2018.

SafeCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 08:37:37 PM

XMR is indeed outdated by these new privacy coins i am looking forward to XSPEC's market dominance in 2018.

I hear a lot about XSpec's features in terms of a trading platform but what do you like about it in terms of privacy?    How does it differ from something like particl?
phreakk

Activity: 307
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 08:47:38 PM

Interesting how each of them has one or multiple good features, but no coin in the comparison has all the features...
 That makes me wonder whether or not a coin already exists that inhabits all or simply many of these features.

If not, wouldn't that be an awesomne opportunity for people who are able to create cryptos?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     █▀█▄              █▀ ▀█▄
     █  ▀█▄          ▄█     ▀█▄
     █    ▀█▄       █▀         ▀▄
     █       █▄   ▄█             ▀█▄
     █         ▀▄█▀                ▀█▄
     █          ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
     █         ██▌ █▄                ▄█▀
     █        █▌█▌   █▄            ▄▀
     █       ▐▌ █     ▀█▄       ▄█▀
     █      ▐█  █       ▀█▄   ▄█▀
     █      █  ▐█         ▀█▄▀
     █     █   ▐▌           ▀▄
     █    █   ▄▀ ▀█▄▄         ▀▄
     █   █▀ ▄█       ▀█▄▄       ▀▄
     █  █▌ █▀            ▀█▄▄     █▄
     █ ▐▌▄█                  ▀█▄▄  ▀█▄
     █▐██▀                       ▀█▄ ▀█▄
     ██▀                            ▀▀███
     █
RATEONIUM

GLOBAL BLOCKCHAIN BASED PRODUCT
██  ██
SERVICE RATING PLATFORM
██  ██

Twitter       Telegram     Reddit
█ RATE █    █ TRADE  █   █ INVEST █
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 09:03:40 PM

pivx and komodo are the ones i'd go for

SafeCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 09:13:26 PM

Interesting how each of them has one or multiple good features, but no coin in the comparison has all the features...
 That makes me wonder whether or not a coin already exists that inhabits all or simply many of these features.

If not, wouldn't that be an awesomne opportunity for people who are able to create cryptos?

That is one of the reasons I'm doing the comparison, for sure.

That said, you are looking at the beta version of this comparison chart and I am sure a lot of these coins have more features than listed.   Without a doubt I'm looking forward to others pointing out additional features, and I'll be updating it accordingly.

No question about it, no one coin currently has all the features.
cryptomngr

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 09:27:08 PM

I hear a lot about XSpec's features in terms of a trading platform but what do you like about it in terms of privacy?    How does it differ from something like particl?
Probably the OBFS4 is XSPEC's advantage it gives 100% anonimity than any of other privacy coins.

U2

Activity: 676
Merit: 503

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 09:31:24 PM

This is going to be an extremely interesting thread. I've only used Monero or Dash so I don't have a lot of knowledge here and want to see how this plays out.
cryptotnak

Activity: 194

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 09:33:57 PM

Great post,XSPEC is my bet ived research a lot on how it works and its advantages to its predecessors,i bought 5btc worth of it for the long hold.

SafeCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 10:08:09 PM

Probably the OBFS4 is XSPEC's advantage it gives 100% anonimity than any of other privacy coins.

Thank you very much cryptomngr.   While I need to interject and suggest that 100% anonymity does not exist and may never exist, OBFS4 does seem like an excellent feature especially in countries where TOR is or may be banned/monitored.

Here is a good article on it:   https://www.maikel.pro/blog/progress-in-censorship-circumvention-tor-and-pluggable-transports-an-overview/

To my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, here is my basic understanding of OBFS4:

What it does do:   It prevents detection (by monitoring ISPs or governments) of the TOR network (through obfusciation).
                           For a coin such a XSPEC, this would be a major feature as XSPEC relies on the TOR network for anonymity.  For other coins, possibly not as crucial.

What it doesn't do:   It doesn't do anything to make the actual blockchain, or transactions, more anonymous, to my knowledge (?).   It is a peripheral protection.

What I'm not sure about: I'm not sure if it hides the wallet itself from monitoring, or if it just hides the wallet's interaction with the TOR network.  In otherwords, is it just hiding TOR, or hiding other components of the crypto too?  Not sure, but I'm assuming just TOR?

SafeCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 10:10:13 PM

This is going to be an extremely interesting thread. I've only used Monero or Dash so I don't have a lot of knowledge here and want to see how this plays out.

Thanks!  I appreciate it, hoping we can all learn.   What are your thoughts on the heavyweights?
SafeCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 10:11:33 PM

pivx and komodo are the ones i'd go for

Thanks cryptohunter

What features do you see in PIVX or Komodo that would lean you toward them?

penig

Activity: 266
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 10:14:50 PM

Does no one consider that there are too many coins focused on privacy/anonymity.  The market for these coins are limited, and those likely to be interested are already involved.  The majority of the public just aren't concerned very much, else Facebook et al wouldn't be multi-billion $ companies.  Whatever short term gains they have, the long term prospects are probably going to be below average for all but the top few.  
SafeCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 10:34:16 PM
Last edit: December 31, 2017, 11:09:31 PM by SafeCoins

Does no one consider that there are too many coins focused on privacy/anonymity.  The market for these coins are limited, and those likely to be interested are already involved.  The majority of the public just aren't concerned very much, else Facebook et al wouldn't be multi-billion $ companies.  Whatever short term gains they have, the long term prospects are probably going to be below average for all but the top few.  

That is a valid concern, but first of all, this isn't just a coin comparison.  It is a comparison of features and enhancements.  Some of which, for all we know, may be implemented in bitcoin itself one day.   In addition, I would make the counter-argument and ask if there are perhaps too many coins which aren't private?

A quick example, we were just discussing OBFS4.   This was developed for use in some countries, such as China, which will monitor the use of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, and have in many ways already started to ban it:   https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2017/11/02/cryptocurrency-exchanges-officially-dead-in-china/#292786fe2a83

So...China's pretty big.

Russia's not far behind.   https://cointelegraph.com/news/putin-condemns-bitcoin-calls-for-russian-ban-of-digital-currencies

Russia's pretty big too.

Do you think we will ever hear about offenders in those countries that rubbed their government the wrong way?  Of course not, we will never hear from them and neither will anyone else, ever.

Here's another 6 countries that have banned it:   https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/12/03/6-countries-where-bitcoin-is-banned.aspx

And in North America?   There are possibly worse things than bans....there are taxes, and other ways you can be persecuted.   Have you used coinbase?   This IRS already knows you have.  I'm not saying taxes are bad, but the monitoring part is.  I would expect basically half the people on this forum will get audited.   https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/29/16717416/us-coinbase-irs-records

Also, please note that I have drawn a distinction between anonymity and privacy.   When you buy a pizza, does everyone in the world have a right to know you bought that pizza?  Is that necessary?   There are privacy considerations as well.

Anyway, I can understand the concern and I understand why the public ledger is so appealing.  But there is definitely another side to it, to say the very least.

rehydrogenated

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 10:43:04 PM

Wow what a great report! The chart is extremely helpful. My guess is that in the future the best of these tokens/coins will evolve and add more of the characteristics of the others. But right now it looks like an all out brawl for "the most anonymous".

You put a lot of good work into keeping this article short, but incredibly useful.
SafeCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2018, 02:34:19 AM

Wow what a great report! The chart is extremely helpful. My guess is that in the future the best of these tokens/coins will evolve and add more of the characteristics of the others. But right now it looks like an all out brawl for "the most anonymous".

You put a lot of good work into keeping this article short, but incredibly useful.

Thanks rehydrogenated,

I have to agree with you, I think what we see is what are very early stages of the evolution (even though attempts have been made for 7 years now).

2018 will be very interesting for private/anonymous coins.  I intend to keep this updated and improve on it, so please let me know if you have suggestions/feedback/corrections.

Happy New Years!
KevenDabid

Activity: 196

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 04:03:30 AM

But in this list, I didn't find tokenpay, which may be a good contender, but I'm worried about whether the future of anonymous tokens will be suppressed by the government.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: