Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 07:06:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cointerra Mining ASIC coming soon  (Read 35532 times)
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:23:43 PM

The other question still remains:  Why all the bawing over the BFL & Avalon?  Why are the informed investors being hauled away in whaambulances?

Only as above I have stated your investment buys you an electronic box that connects to the Internet and doesn't make any guaranteed promises of ROI.

Let's get this out of the way -- boldface above.  BFL is shipping boxen.  Avalon is shipping boxen & chips.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:29:09 PM

The other question still remains:  Why all the bawing over the BFL & Avalon?  Why are the informed investors being hauled away in whaambulances?

Only as above I have stated your investment buys you an electronic box that connects to the Internet and doesn't make any guaranteed promises of ROI.

Let's get this out of the way -- boldface above.  BFL is shipping boxen.  Avalon is shipping boxen & chips.

The bawling of BFL and Avalon is due to inept project management and idiots that perform no due diligence on payment methods.

BFL buyers can claim refunds if they paid by credit card and bothered to ring their credit card issuing bank.

Out of the thousands complaining they have their funds held hostage, how many have picked up the phone, even once? None.

If that's how responsible they are with cash, and how much their money means to them, BFL are entitled to the funds. You know some of these muppets actually used debt to purchase, as opposed to money they can afford to risk??

I gave this analogy the other day, and it compares to having been taken hostage and being tied to a chair, only the no knots were tied, the door was left wide open and the kidnappers left the building. Would you stay?

Apparently most Butterfly Labs buyers would...

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
crumbs

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:34:05 PM

You can pre-order playstations, xboxes and cars ahead of their release. That's why consumer protection exists, to protect the consumer against possible fraud and hold those behind it responsible.

No. Either grant my point that there is a qualitative difference between "pre-order" and "invest," or concede that you are investing on credit and charging back when things go wrong.  I hope this explains why  i take pains to differentiate the two.

Technically we are buying an electronic box we plug in a wall that connects to the net. Whether it's wizardry makes a profit is yet to be seen. No company can guarantee anything but their best effort we will realise ROI as too many factors are outside of their control, like the Bitcoin economy.

Technically, i would love to hear your recorded phone convo, or read a transcript -- if i told my credit card company i was gambling on the card & planing to charge back, i'm not certain if they'd laugh at me, call the cops or call the nuthouse.

I am pretty damn certain. I've proven to myself they are a real company with experience of meeting deadlines. I have not defrauded myself or my card issuer at all, even they have confirmed that, furthermore I went to the length of recording the conversation, so on their head be it legally. I've gone to greater lengths proving they are legitimate than I've ever done with an amazon seller.

There is far more chance of my card issuing bank standing by my purchase which is protected under UK law by section 75 of the consumer credit act, especially after speaking to their own fraud department and having a fraud protection representative of my card issuing company stating on record saying I can proceed, twice.

With Amazon the resolution of the dispute is between you, the seller and Amazon's goodwill unless, you similarly pay by credit card and then you are protected by section 75 as well.

You are telling me that you are more certain that these companies will deliver than you are with Amazon purchases.  No offence, but this speakes volumes about your judgement.
crumbs

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:42:20 PM

The bawling of BFL and Avalon is due to inept project management and idiots that perform no due diligence on payment methods.
BFL buyers can claim refunds if they paid by credit card and bothered to ring their credit card issuing bank.

Out of the thousands complaining they have their funds held hostage, how many have picked up the phone, even once? None.

If that's how responsible they are with cash, and how much their money means to them, BFL are entitled to the funds. You know some of these muppets actually used debt to purchase, as opposed to money they can afford to risk??

I gave this analogy the other day, and it compares to having been taken hostage and being tied to a chair, only the no knots were tied, the door was left wide open and the kidnappers left the building. Would you stay?

Apparently most Butterfly Labs buyers would...

I'm glad we at least cleared BFL of any wrongdoing.  I admire your consistency. 
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:53:30 PM

There's no need to bullshit here about "optimising datapaths". SHA-256 is basically just a pair of 32-bit-wide shift registers with some cobinatorial logic thrown in the feedback loops. The cryptographers at NIST/NSA/etc. worked really hard to make sure that this logic is not minimisable in any meaningfull way because that would make it susceptible to cryptoanalysis. The "architectural" tricks would've already been exploited by the cryptoanalysts. There isn't any way to optimize power by e.g. not clocking parts of the circuit when not in productive use, which is where the most of modern CPUs and GPUs save power. So please no further low-power bullshit unless you can tell us how your low-power strategy applies to a circuit with 50% signal toggle probability. Nobody's going to run a pocket bitmine on a battery power.

Thinking this is worth highlighting again, compared to a CPU, every operation is "worst case instruction mix", if anyone is telling you that TDP should be much less than worst case power on a SHA-256(256) ASIC then they are full of crap.

Intel in order to implement their "cloud on a chip" projects (Experimental/prototype) 80+ core CPUs, had to come up with aggressive load balancing and core de-activation strategies. These appear to be shelved, although the management strategies may be applied in future mainstream CPUs, it was probably found that it was no more effective than running multiple virtual machines on say a 6 core hyperthreaded chip, due to having to idle so many cores at once.

A sort of visualisation of the difference this makes for the less technical might be imagining a simple implementation of a "pong" game on the side of a building with 60W lightbulbs being the pixels. Imagining a 48x32 playfield with the bats being 12 bulbs (2x6) the ball being 1 bulb, for 25 bulbs total. Implementing it as white on black means you only have to have 25 bulbs lit at a time, 1500W, could jusssst about do it off a household circuit. However, if you want to do black on white, you have to have (48*32)-25 bulbs lit, which would be 90,660W. The difference here is extreme to make the point, but the CPU is more like the white on black, and SHA core more like the black on white. Though to get closer to real percentages, we could say a 16x16 array where the CPU can light between 2 and 5 bulbs at once, and the SHA core randomly lights between 7 and 9 bulbs at once. So instantaneous power on CPUlike array may be between 120 and 300W whereas the SHAlike array would be between 420 and 540W.... but the CPU designer would split the difference and call TDP about 220W, so you might be left with the idea that you could SHA on a 16x16 array of lightbulbs for only 220W power usage... where the 16x16 lightbulbs are our proxy for a 100+ Million transistor array.

Not only that but also, imagine we are building a pneumatic/steam computer in about 1830, and we have large piston clearances and pipes made out of stitched leather. There's a physical limit to how many switches/pistons can be activated at once, because although they should not consume steam to remain in position, there are leaks everywhere and the boiler can maintain only so many PSI, get a bigger boiler, the leaks just blow harder and you're not much further ahead. This is sort of what is happening on small process nodes now, everything bleeds electrons, worse than that, unlike the steam computer, it's a more closed environment so your leakage doesn't just go into open air, it makes "pressure" in a pipe that should be empty at the moment, leading to spurious operation. Try and raise the activation threshold of your valves and you need more PSI, which in turn leaks harder... meanwhile the resistance to flow makes more heat, consumes power and your holes get bigger.

Anyway, when you see the little demo engine going chuff, chuff, chuff, don't be too impressed, thinking if they can do it once, they can copy and paste it 20, 50, 200 times, it's not whether the pistons and valves do the right thing, it's whether they do it with close enough tolerance, and stitch the leather pipes together well enough that they can make 20 or 50 of them run without losing steam everywhere.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 02:59:36 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2013, 03:10:27 PM by Bitcoinorama

You can pre-order playstations, xboxes and cars ahead of their release. That's why consumer protection exists, to protect the consumer against possible fraud and hold those behind it responsible.

No. Either grant my point that there is a qualitative difference between "pre-order" and "invest," or concede that you are investing on credit and charging back when things go wrong.  I hope this explains why  i take pains to differentiate the two.

Technically we are buying an electronic box we plug in a wall that connects to the net. Whether it's wizardry makes a profit is yet to be seen. No company can guarantee anything but their best effort we will realise ROI as too many factors are outside of their control, like the Bitcoin economy.

Technically, i would love to hear your recorded phone convo, or read a transcript -- if i told my credit card company i was gambling on the card & planing to charge back, i'm not certain if they'd laugh at me, call the cops or call the nuthouse.

I am pretty damn certain. I've proven to myself they are a real company with experience of meeting deadlines. I have not defrauded myself or my card issuer at all, even they have confirmed that, furthermore I went to the length of recording the conversation, so on their head be it legally. I've gone to greater lengths proving they are legitimate than I've ever done with an amazon seller.

There is far more chance of my card issuing bank standing by my purchase which is protected under UK law by section 75 of the consumer credit act, especially after speaking to their own fraud department and having a fraud protection representative of my card issuing company stating on record saying I can proceed, twice.

With Amazon the resolution of the dispute is between you, the seller and Amazon's goodwill unless, you similarly pay by credit card and then you are protected by section 75 as well.

You are telling me that you are more certain that these companies will deliver than you are with Amazon purchases.  No offence, but this speakes volumes about your judgement.

Paahahahahaa! No i'm not, what a flawed assumption to make, my judgement is indicative of just making sure I have a protected purchase in case they don't deliver as promised. This is the same reason you'd want to ensure any consumer protection exists when dealing with any new businesses. For the record I certainly think there is more chance of delivery than a lot of Amazon Sellers though, assuming you appreciate how Amazon works...

That said what is fraudulent is people riding on credit cards and/or Paypal and bailing if hashrate increases too quickly for their comfort. That's not the fault of the banks or the companies manufacturing these devices. That's up to those wishing to purchase to perform further research.

In any case as much as this does bare relevance, this is Cointerra's thread, so back on track, but before we do I just want to leave you with one example of where consumer protection exists specifically for pre-orders:

Holidays, and any kind of pre-booked travel. There are often stories of third party intermediaries going bust and not delivering on promises. Book on ccard and you're covered. Not sure what Paypal's stance on package holidays is, but they are resold on eBay...

crumbs

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:20:49 PM

Quote from: crumbs
You are telling me that you are more certain that these companies will deliver than you are with Amazon purchases.

Paahahahahaa! No i'm not, what a flawed assumption to make, I'm just making sure I have a protected purchase in case they don't the same reason you'd ensure any consumer protection exists when dealing with new businesses. For the record I certainly think there is more chance of delivery than a lot of Amazon Sellers though, assuming you appreciate how Amazon works...

That said what is fraudulent is people riding on cards and bailing if hashrate increases too quickly for their comfort. That's not the fault of the banks or the companies manufacturing these devices.

In other words, you have done thorough research, concluded that comparing the risk of your pre-order to amazon purchase is so absurd that you must laugh, and yet:
1.  You're "pretty damn certain" nonetheless?
2.  You're perfectly willing to pass these lol-worthy risks to your credit card company?  You honestly don't feel just a teency bit in the wrong?

Edit:  Thank goodness for the evil bankers & usurious CC companies!  Without them, bitcoin business itself would be impossible Cheesy
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:27:21 PM

Quote from: crumbs
You are telling me that you are more certain that these companies will deliver than you are with Amazon purchases.

Paahahahahaa! No i'm not, what a flawed assumption to make, I'm just making sure I have a protected purchase in case they don't the same reason you'd ensure any consumer protection exists when dealing with new businesses. For the record I certainly think there is more chance of delivery than a lot of Amazon Sellers though, assuming you appreciate how Amazon works...

That said what is fraudulent is people riding on cards and bailing if hashrate increases too quickly for their comfort. That's not the fault of the banks or the companies manufacturing these devices.

In other words, you have done thorough research, concluded that comparing the risk of your pre-order is so absurd that you must laugh, and yet:
2.  You're perfectly willing to pass these lol-worthy risks to your credit card company?  You honestly don't feel just a teency bit in the wrong?  

Nope, no more than booking a hotel room through a travel agent, less so as I've personally visited the metaphoric hotel KnC for myself to see it exists. Admittedly I haven't had a chance to check my room yet, but for intents and purposes they're an existing hotel and their builders, ORSoC, have built many before over the past decade and they've promised to have it ready for my stay based on their experience. Perhaps they won't, but my credit card company wants my repeat and continued business, some even offer airmiles! Grin

Loredo

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:29:39 PM

Edit:  Thank goodness for the evil bankers & usurious CC companies!  Without them, bitcoin business itself would be impossible Cheesy
Oh, the bitter irony!   Grin  Grin
crumbs

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:35:55 PM

In other words, you have done thorough research, concluded that comparing the risk of your pre-order is so absurd that you must laugh, and yet:

Nope, no more than booking a hotel room through a travel agent, less so as I've personally visited the metaphoric hotel KnC for myself to see it exists. Admittedly I haven't had a chance to check my room yet, but for intents and purposes they're an existing hotel and their builders, ORSoC, have built many before over the past decade and they've promised to have it ready for my stay based on their experience. Perhaps they won't, but my credit card want my repeat and continued business, some even offer airmiles! Grin

The hotel room analogy is lolzy, but for slightly different reasons; i'll ftfy:

You call to book a hotel room to find out that there's no hotel yet -- there's only the contractor's kid, who's real clever with tools & swears up & down he'll build the hotel by the time you arrive.  His dad, who has built stuff before (cars, not hotels) promised to help him.
You go ahead and place the reservation -- if the place isn't there when you show up, the CC will cover it.  Death to bankers!
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 03:44:29 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2013, 07:19:50 PM by Bitcoinorama

Nope, no more than booking a hotel room through a travel agent, less so as I've personally visited the metaphoric hotel KnC for myself to see it exists. Admittedly I haven't had a chance to check my room yet, but for intents and purposes they're an existing hotel and their builders, ORSoC, have built many before over the past decade and they've promised to have it ready for my stay based on their experience. Perhaps they won't, but my credit card want my repeat and continued business, some even offer airmiles! Grin

You call to book a hotel room to find out that there's no hotel yet -- there's only the contractor's kid, who's real clever with tools & swears up & down he'll build the hotel by the time you arrive.  His dad, who has built stuff before (cars, not hotels) promised to help him.
You go ahead and place the reservation -- if the place isn't there when you show up, the CC will cover it.  Death to bankers!

Considering my two main banks are;

HSBC; Largest money laundering operation in the world for Mexican drug cartels, overseeing their banking needs for in excess of a decade.

Barclay's; Responsible for the largest ever exposed case of fraud in history. Frontrunning the price fixing of interbank lending rates with full compliance from the UK government.

Both in the billions, both laughable 'record' fines which amount to a paltry percentage of the profits they acquired throughout these activities.

Neither with any criminal prosecution to speak of, no jail terms. A couple of guys resigned with phat bonuses in a national newspaper sideline.

With that in mind the activities surrounding the sale of a few pre-order Bitcoin mining devices I doubt phases these banks. Any fraud an ASIC manufacturer attempts pails in comparison. They guys protecting such purchases are too big to fail after all...

Ironically, when you think about it, it's bittersweet no matter how risky, these guys are willing to absorb the risk associated with our escape from their fraudulent manipulation and grasp on our day to day perceived value of wealth! Wink

ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 03:48:28 PM

arrive in Q4 2013.
To learn more about Cointerra and to sign up for regular updates please visit our website: www.cointerra.com and follow us on Twitter @cointerra.

Yippee, just in time for Christmas.
Santa's gonna ship ASICs.
nice.

Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:02:27 PM

Heh, that's actually been known to happen on the Spanish Costas.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
crumbs

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:25:32 PM

[...why your banks are dirtbags...]

Finally we get down to it:  You feel justified in scamming your banks because they deserve it -- they're scammers themselves.  
You're colluding with likely scammers to defraud the scammy banks.  Best of luck, but keep in mind that most confidence tricks rely on the mark believing he's not the mark, but a shrewd & cunning member of the crew Smiley  
KS

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:28:45 PM

Finally we get down to it:  You feel justified in scamming your banks because they deserve it -- they're scammers themselves.  
You're colluding with likely scammers to defraud the scammy banks.  Best of luck, but keep in mind that most confidence tricks rely on the mark believing he's not the mark, but a shrewd & cunning member of the crew Smiley  

Now that's just low! Grin
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 04:29:35 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2013, 04:44:44 PM by Ytterbium

Anyway, when you see the little demo engine going chuff, chuff, chuff, don't be too impressed, thinking if they can do it once, they can copy and paste it 20, 50, 200 times, it's not whether the pistons and valves do the right thing, it's whether they do it with close enough tolerance, and stitch the leather pipes together well enough that they can make 20 or 50 of them run without losing steam everywhere.

Simple solution would be to make a very small die.  You get the same hashpower/wafer, but you just spread them out on a large circuit board. That's basically how Avalon works.  240 small chips a couple watts each.

Also, click the ignore button on crumbs people, is is an idiotic troll.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:44:44 PM

Ok I know you troll, sometimes as in this thread actually providing substance at points.

But what don't you get about consumer protection and the usarious fees charged upon credit card purchases they encourage you to make?

I do have a huge amount of faith in KnC which is more than superficial as I've met everyone involved, and seen what they are capable of. Is there still inherent risk, of course. There could be a delay, but they will make and produce a chip capable of hashing.

Likewise, as this is the Cointerra thread, on paper these guys are credible, hopefully someone will visit. If I was to consider them I might take a jolly to Austin, sign an NDA (which for all intents and purposes is entirely worthless), and see what they are capable of.

To claim I'm undertaking fraud as I acknowledge there could be a delay is ridiculous, think of all the things you buy ahead of time. Credit cards are specifically marketed at protecting you for such purposes. That's not fraudulent use at all.

Now stop this, it's utterly pointless as I'm paying a real company to produce a real product they are more than capable of doing with a protected means of payment which I performed the due diligence in ensuring they were happy with me proceeding and protecting me for.

Perhaps instead of continuing this here you spend an hour talking to the fraud department of Amex and see what they say. What about all the tradespeople who may not deliver as promised? Sure they all like cash in hand, but you know full well you have recourse if you find a legitimate company that accepts card.

aerobatic

Activity: 702

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 05:04:48 PM

While your idea is good the example you cited doesnt help...  Avalon is a pretty rusty old chip now and no matter how many of them you put on a board, it doesnt get you a lot of performance and worse, it draws a huge amount of power (per GH).   A couple of watts each, for only a few hundred MH makes it a poor performer compared to these new generation of chips from Bitfury, KnC, hashfast and cointerra...

Avalon maybe was the early 2013 chip of choice... but as we head towards the back end of 2013, its going to be outgunned and outdated pretty fast.  Bitfury is a much better example of putting lots of cheap chips on a board to total some good hashing power, and thats the best example to date of the ant colony approach.  And its power consumption is excellent (especially so when you consider its 55 nm!)

But as you say, Hashpower/wafer and watts/GH are going to be the best ways for us to compare and contrast all of our mining asic options...  does anyone happen to have them all collated into one table?

Simple solution would be to make a very small die.  You get the same hashpower/wafer, but you just spread them out on a large circuit board. That's basically how Avalon works.  240 small chips a couple watts each.

Also, click the ignore button on crumbs people, is is an idiotic troll.
KS

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:11:46 PM

Ok I know you troll, sometimes as in this thread actually providing substance at points.

But what don't you get about consumer protection and the usarious fees charged upon credit card purchases they encourage you to make?

I do have a huge amount of faith in KnC which is more than superficial as I've met everyone involved, and seen what they are capable of. Is there still inherent risk, of course. There could be a delay, but they will make and produce a chip capable of hashing.

Likewise, as this is the Cointerra thread, on paper these guys are credible, hopefully someone will visit. If I was to consider them I might take a jolly to Austin, sign an NDA (which for all intents and purposes is entirely worthless), and see what they are capable of.

To claim I'm undertaking fraud as I acknowledge there could be a delay is ridiculous, think of all the things you buy ahead of time. Credit cards are specifically marketed at protecting you for such purposes. That's not fraudulent use at all.

Now stop this, it's utterly pointless as I'm paying a real company to produce a real product they are more than capable of doing with a protected means of payment which I performed the due diligence in ensuring they were happy with me proceeding and protecting me for.

Perhaps instead of continuing this here you spend an hour talking to the fraud department of Amex and see what they say. What about all the tradespeople who may not deliver as promised? Sure they all like cash in hand, but you know full well you have recourse if you find a legitimate company that accepts card.

I'm still wondering about the actual level of protection under section 75, given the Terms you accepted when you ordered stipulated it was a business sale and you admitted to be a business.

So, one of the two or both is/are acting in bad faith. You're acting in bad faith because you claim to do the trade as an individual (i.e. not a business) to be covered by S75 or a business (which you are not) to be able to buy from them (circumventing the Terms) and they're acting in bad faith because they don't want to offer the necessary security for private customers (and no warranty) - but this is more debatable.

Did you have a lawyer look it over? (apologies if it was mentioned already, TL;DR)

I'm going to look at the same question over here (different laws, different judges).
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 06:16:00 PM

While your idea is good the example you cited doesnt help...  Avalon is a pretty rusty old chip now and no matter how many of them you put on a board, it doesnt get you a lot of performance and worse, it draws a huge amount of power (per GH).   A couple of watts each, for only a few hundred MH makes it a poor performer compared to these new generation of chips from Bitfury, KnC, hashfast and cointerra...

Sure, but remember - at the time their only competition was BFL and they clearly defeated them.

I think the strategy could still work well.  The KnC chip, for example has four modules with 48 "engine IPs" each, and they are expecting to to use 250W or less.  The heatsink they're planning on using is supposed to be able to dissipate 320W of heat.

But lets say they're wrong and their chip actually ends up putting out 500w.

If each of the 4 engines was on a separate die, and putting out 125W each they'd have a much easier time figuring out a way to keep them cool.

If they split the chip up even more, putting, say 12 "engine IPs" on a chip, if they were twice their expected power output they'd only need to remove 30W of heat per physical package.

On the other hand, at a certain point you're going to drive costs up by requiring more transistors for communication, more complicated circuit boards and more money spent just on IC packaging.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: