Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:34:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cointerra Mining ASIC coming soon  (Read 35529 times)
bitzip

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 11:18:29 PM

I just received an email from CoinTerra

"TerraMiner IV will ship in December this year and retails for $15,750. "

"TerraMiner IV is currently the most powerful, high-performance Bitcoin mining rig available for pre-order and packs a hashrate of greater than 2 TH/s."

It doesn't mention how many watts.

I hate pre orders.  What kind of track record do they have on delivering new products on time?  What will be the difficulty in December?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
roy7

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 11:27:09 PM

It doesn't mention how many watts.

1200W I thought I saw in email or web site but can't find it now.
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 11:49:34 PM

"TerraMiner IV is currently the most powerful, high-performance Bitcoin mining rig available for pre-order and packs a hashrate of greater than 2 TH/s."

So, of all the mining rigs that haven't been built yet, this mining rig that hasn't been built is the most powerful?  While other nonexistent rigs don't hash @ < 2 TH/s, this baby doesn't hash @ > 2 TH/s?  

Awesomeness.  

Come on, other ASICless ASIC companies!  Step up your game & promise more for less, sooner!
papamoi

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 03:56:33 AM

hi guys

i m announcing a babyterrahash coin miner wich will hash @ 100 th/sec

and i m taking preorder now

please send mt all your saving to the account i ll disclose only to the pigeons who are interested in it

Please give me your money and shut up

thanks
sharknutzz

Activity: 335

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 04:08:44 AM

hi guys

please send mt all your saving to the account i ll disclose only to the pigeons who are interested in it

thanks

Ok, I'll send you BTC0.0000001

You seem like an honest seller, no escrow required.
MikeMike
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1020

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 04:20:54 AM

hi guys

thanks

Ok, I'll send you BTC0.0000001

You seem like an honest seller, no escrow required.

I'm going to wait for the 2TH/s Upgrade!
 Cheesy

Loredo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 04:45:10 AM

Other electronics are not money printing machines.  If a company does not need pre-order cash for development it will use its miners to hash for themselves or sell them for an amount that will barely ROI. What incentive do they have to do otherwise?  Look at what miners are sold for in secondary markets on this forum. That is how individuals and companies operate with miners in hand.
Even though this post is "old" (11 days is old as fast as stuff is happening) I'm going to point this out again.

Bitcoin miners are not money printing machines (and the Federal magistrate language in the Pirate motion to dismiss is notwithstanding here).  They print bitcoins.

You or I may not think there's a difference, either now or in the future, but someone who can make and sell the hardware may think so.  In that case, selling the machines now for USD, letting the customers take the fungibility/conversion risk would not only make sense, it would be the best course open to them - remember, conditional on a bearish/non-money view of BTC.
maursader

Activity: 509

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 04:23:15 PM

Cointerra, a well-funded startup of highly experienced ASIC designers, is pleased to announce that we are developing a high performance, low power and low cost 28nm ASIC which is expected to arrive in Q4 2013.

To learn more about Cointerra and to sign up for regular updates please visit our website: www.cointerra.com and follow us on Twitter @cointerra.

I'm interested in making a purchase of one or two of these units... however, I'm very weary about placing pre-orders with the whole BFL thing. Do you guys accept escrow if I were to pay the fees? I would like to go through John in this forum to be honest.

I've heard horror stories about BFL not honouring refunds and other such variants.. and although I'm interested, I still would like to see/have some reassurance.
aerobatic

Activity: 702
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:55:16 PM

just got a mail from these guys - whats the word on them?
i see the price has dropped from 15000 to 6000 usd.

the prices were related to delivery date and performance.

the december batch was priced at $15,000 for 2 TH..(and no longer seems to be listed on their site, so presumably sold out) and the january price is $6,000 for 2 TH.
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 06:03:20 PM

I still don't get it how come they didn't raised 5 mil $ while HashFast raised 20 mil $ (seems a bit much), Avalon had 8 mil $ for chips and KnC managed to raise more than 5 mil $.

mgio

Activity: 546

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 06:17:24 PM

just got a mail from these guys - whats the word on them?

i see the price has dropped from 15000 to 6000 usd.

The price difference is December vs January shipping.

I'm so tempted to order from them. 2 TH/s for that price seems amazing. But then I think about what the difficulty will be in January and I realize that 2 TH/s in January isn't any better than 500 GH/s now. Sigh.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 06:23:56 PM

I still don't get it how come they didn't raised 5 mil $ while HashFast raised 20 mil $ (seems a bit much), Avalon had 8 mil $ for chips and KnC managed to raise more than 5 mil $.

The market got tired of IPOs/pre-orders by the time Cointerra launched.

When Cointerra/CryptX went public the miners, investors, and speculators were exhausted and broke from

-BFL
-ASICminer
-Avalon
-Bitfury
-ActiveScamming
-KnC
-Hashfast/IceDrill
-LabScam
-ScamGarden
-etc, etc, etc

There was simply not enough demand to meet Cointerra's oversupply, everybody was all in and tapped out.

Cointerra was late to the party, conceding first/early mover advantage to their more nimble and engineering focused competition.

Now they are at least a week behind their self-imposed "first week of October" deadline for tape-out and are desperate to get the rest of the NRE paid.  Hence the fire sale on Jan 2014 hardware.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
tom99

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 07:32:44 PM

When Cointerra/CryptX went public the miners, investors, and speculators were exhausted and broke from

-BFL
-ASICminer
-Avalon
-Bitfury
-ActiveScamming
-KnC
-Hashfast/IceDrill
-LabScam
-ScamGarden
-etc, etc, etc

There was simply not enough demand to meet Cointerra's oversupply, everybody was all in and tapped out.

Cointerra was late to the party, conceding first/early mover advantage to their more nimble and engineering focused competition.

Now they are at least a week behind their self-imposed "first week of October" deadline for tape-out and are desperate to get the rest of the NRE paid.  Hence the fire sale on Jan 2014 hardware.

No CC and Paypal.
Vagnavs
Legendary

Activity: 1121
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 07:35:23 PM

-BFL
-ASICminer
-Avalon
-Bitfury
-ActiveScamming
-KnC
-Hashfast/IceDrill
-LabScam
-ScamGarden
-etc, etc, etc

No CC and Paypal.

+1
would have placed an order already if that was in place

Avalanche is a must own
RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 07:40:53 PM

-BFL
-ASICminer
-Avalon
-Bitfury
-ActiveScamming
-KnC
-Hashfast/IceDrill
-LabScam
-ScamGarden
-etc, etc, etc

No CC and Paypal.

I must +1 this. If they were legitimate there was no reason to not accept at least CC payments. Paypal is a risk because they can block the account, but i don't see a reason to not accept CC payments.

Also as i stated before i read the Securities sub-forum very seldom, but it seems to me that there are 2 separate groups of people. One group is the one that is active here and wants real hardware and one group is the group that wants shares in mining companies and i don't think you can say that people ran out of money. I see that people are interested in buying BitFury boards for 1k$, why wouldn't they be interested in Cointerra?

aerobatic

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 10:58:59 PM

RoadStress, whats your source for the hashfast $20m?

we know they offered 550 Baby jets for sale.. at $5800 each.. so thats, er, $3m.. and that theyve sold newer models at lower prices... but what else do we know that gets us to a $20m number?

RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 11:14:48 PM

RoadStress, whats your source for the hashfast $20m?

we know they offered 550 Baby jets for sale.. at $5800 each.. so thats, er, $3m.. and that theyve sold newer models at lower prices... but what else do we know that gets us to a $20m number?

Honestly i didn't kept track, but i'm pretty sure i read it somewhere. Threads are advancing too fast so i can't keep track. Maybe cypherdoc said it in a post. Can someone help me?

aerobatic

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 11:30:19 PM

RoadStress, the only person who said that Cointerra didnt raise enough cash to meet their NRE is Icebreaker - that doesnt make it a fact.  no asic company, has ever announced how much cash theyve raised.. not knc, not hashfast, not cointerra...  The fact that cointerra doesnt sit here manning the forums arguing with every troll doesnt mean whatever bull that comes out of icebreakers keyboard should be taken with anything other than a pinch of salt.  maybe he's scared they might actually ship what they promised...

Judging by the colour of his ignore button i think its safe to assume the truth is pretty much the opposite of much of what he says.  We shall see if they raised enough for their tape-out NRE in due course, if and when they announce their tape-out.  And what will icebreaker say then?  he'll find some other way to spread FUD... Since they claimed to have done a mock tape out recently, its probably safe to assume their actual tape out isnt so far away (no doubt its later than planned, but so were most of the others too, including icebreakers favourite xyz company.   (hashfast went from mock tapeout to tapeout in about a week or two so lets see when ct does it)   ct updates its own web site and alas doesnt maintain a presense on these forums, but i dont think anyone rational could conclude that theyve given up as the nice renders of their hardware box design show more detail than ive seen from any of the others so far (except KnC... well done Sam & Andreas!)

and based on the ct specs they are either completely making it up (unlikely), or they have performance the others could only dream of.. and you couldn't accuse them of not being able to code RTL.  What a ridiculous assumption.  And icebreaker claiming that the ct engineers' years of experience designing intel, nvidia, and samsung chips is somehow a negative for them being able to design a bitcoin mining asics, is pure insanity.  and claiming that designing for low power is a simple skill and a disadvantage when designing bitcoin asics... when the whole point about bitcoin hardware is to design for low power & performance.. a difficult balance but one that certainly people who are used to designing for low power will be used to.  The ceo of cointerra is the ex-lead architect of samsung's cpu division - and the samsung galaxy S4 phone is very impressive, especially its cpu (ok, and its oled screen).  some of the other hardware engineers at cointerra came from the graphics chip world, known for their high performance asics and optimised datapaths.  to claim, as icebreaker does, that these guys cant 'write rtl code worth shit'... shows how far removed from the truth the guy is - and if not insane, just a troll with a huge chip on his shoulder and a penchant for overzealous untruths.    whats he scared of?  that cointerra might actually deliver what theyve promised?   they sure have a lot to live up to... the spec theyve 'promised us' is significantly faster, lower power, and way cheaper than any of the other options out there (and, delivered later, its true)...    whether they deliver what they promise - only time will tell!

aerobatic

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:06:57 AM

RS, if i had to guess how much each company has raised.. I wouldve put KnC firmly at the top (this year), since they were the first to offer 28nm, and took a lot of pre-orders, back in the day when people still thought pre-orders were a great idea...  So i would bet that if anyone's taken anywhere close to $20m, its KnC.   And of course, ButterFlyLabs, who are probably well in excess of $20m in pre-orders.  I would guess more like $40m...!  And of course, theyre shipping... of sorts!

I really dont think the other guys.. Be it hf, ct, cc, bf, etc... will have raised anywhere close to $20m from their pre-orders.  But i think they WILL do well once theyre shipping in volume, as the 28nm guys (and bitfury) have got significantly better hardware than the older generation guys..  the guys offering silicon that needs more than 1 watt/GH and doesnt offer sub $5/GH dont stand a chance in the next round.

Going off topic a bit here... But in 2014, the bulk of the sales of bitcoin hardware will be those products that are low cost, high performance and low power.  Ie: Complete Systems (not chips) selling for <$3/GH in early 2014, <$2/GH in mid 2014, and probably even <$1/GH by end of 2014 (assuming a die shrink to hit that figure).  And the only people who can do that will be those that have extremely high GH speed asics - best value is the highest GH per die area (gh/mm2) since most of the rest of the system cost is identical between suppliers (they all have a box, some fans, some heatsinks, some power supplies, a controller board etc... All pretty much the identical cost of goods...  so the only differentiator will literally be how many GH's they squeezed out of a mm of die!   The more optimised the designs, the higher the GH will be per die sq mm and the better asics will become the dominant players in the market, when it becomes a commodity.
aerobatic

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:27:35 AM

Any way to combine two consecutive walls of text into a single megawall of text?

Why dont you give it a try
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: