Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:49:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cointerra Mining ASIC coming soon  (Read 35524 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 03:25:50 PM

It also doesn't make sense a company would heavily hype early October tape out and then go silent without even a single one liner about tape out successful.

Saying "tape out successful" = good for future sales.
Saying nothing = bad for future sales.

There is absolutely no cost and only benefit for the company to announce their successful tapeout unless it hasn't happened.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wesly

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 06:20:56 PM

It also doesn't make sense a company would heavily hype early October tape out and then go silent without even a single one liner about tape out successful.

There is absolutely no cost and only benefit for the company to announce their successful tapeout unless it hasn't happened.

Saying tape out not successful = death to the company, so they chose the next best choice..  say nothing.
aerobatic

Activity: 702
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:11:15 PM

Saying tape out not successful = death to the company, so they chose the next best choice..  say nothing.

you guys are always predicting doom and gloom, and with the deafening silence i can see why its easy to make that assumption ...

I called them just now and they confirmed that they're quiet because they're working on the tape-out and they're expecting it to be done imminently.  they don't want to be saying repeatedly that its coming soon so they confirmed that its imminent - i.e. within days not weeks, and that all is well.. and that they will announce it the second its done (.. and to let them get on with it ;-)

you'll get the same answer if you call them.  so, lets wait a few days and see what happens!
bobsag3

Activity: 546

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:13:35 PM

you guys are always predicting doom and gloom, and with the deafening silence i can see why its easy to make that assumption ...

I called them just now and they confirmed that they're quiet because they're working on the tape-out and they're expecting it to be done imminently.  they don't want to be saying repeatedly that its coming soon so they confirmed that its imminent - i.e. within days not weeks, and that all is well.. and that they will announce it the second its done (.. and to let them get on with it ;-)

you'll get the same answer if you call them.  so, lets wait a few days and see what happens!

They have been saying "hey don't want to be saying repeatedly that its coming soon so they confirmed that its imminent" for weeks now. They had plenty of time to roll out "hosting" to get more money- but still no news on what would be hosting. You should probably plant the grain before you worry about building the bakery dont you think?
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:16:56 PM

Saying tape out not successful = death to the company, so they chose the next best choice..  say nothing.

I called them just now and they confirmed that they're quiet because they're working on the tape-out and they're expecting it to be done imminently.  they don't want to be saying repeatedly that its coming soon so they confirmed that its imminent - i.e. within days not weeks, and that all is well.. and that they will announce it the second its done (.. and to let them get on with it ;-)

you'll get the same answer if you call them.  so, lets wait a few days and see what happens!

Sorry for meddling here but there is an enormous flaw in what you just said. According to that, they didn't say it was imminent two weeks ago when it was already imminent because then they would be repeating themselves one week after when it would be imminent again?

aerobatic

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:18:12 PM

Sorry for meddling here but there is an enormous flaw in what you just said. According to that, they didn't say it was imminent two weeks ago when it was already imminent because then they would be repeating themselves one week after when it would be imminent again?

thats definitely a feedback loop if ever i saw one
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:18:41 PM

I called them just now and they confirmed that they're quiet because they're working on the tape-out and they're expecting it to be done imminently.

I think I said a lack of statement likely means they haven't completed the tapeout (something that was scheduled for early Oct).  You confirmed my assumption.  Not sure how it was doom & gloom.

Still if the original timeline was tapeout done in early Oct and it is now early Nov how likely do you think delivery in Dec is?

Hint: rocket runs (high cost limited capacity) from foundry generally take 30+ days and standard runs are more like 60+ days.  That is from the date of tape out being complete.   Now that is just raw chips, be sure to add a week or two for packaging, PCB assembly, production, testing and shipping.
aerobatic

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:20:56 PM

I called them just now and they confirmed that they're quiet because they're working on the tape-out and they're expecting it to be done imminently.

I think I said a lack of statement likely means they haven't completed the tapeout (something that was scheduled for early Oct).  You confirmed my assumption.  Not sure how it was doom & gloom.

Still if the original timeline was tapeout done in early Oct and it is now early Nov how likely do you think delivery in Dec is?

Hint: rocket runs (high cost limited capacity) from foundry generally take 30+ days and standard runs are more like 60+ days.  That is from the date of tape out being complete.   Now that is just raw chips, be sure to add a week or two for packaging, PCB assembly, production, testing and shipping.

agreed, I'm sure they will keep us abreast after tape-out of where it is.  they've certainly paid high expedite fees to the fab so we'll see how fast it comes out.  I'm pretty sure they're expecting closer to 30 than 60 for their chips to come back.  lets hear it from the horse's mouth when they're ready to announce.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:21:37 PM
Last edit: November 06, 2013, 07:48:59 PM by Puppet

Its worth restating Cointerra uses Open-silicon as chip designer. The CEO of open silicon is also on the board of cointerra, and likely an investor. Open silicon is not a small company, and should have plenty of engineers to chose from if for some reason cointerra wasnt happy with the team they got assigned.

Secondly, did you guys miss the title of that job opening ?

Hiring: Principal Verification Engineer for Next Gen ASIC

DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 12:15:29 AM

Its worth restating Cointerra uses Open-silicon as chip designer. The CEO of open silicon is also on the board of cointerra, and likely an investor. Open silicon is not a small company, and should have plenty of engineers to chose from if for some reason cointerra wasnt happy with the team they got assigned.

how many crapterras did you order?

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
monkee

Activity: 172

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 01:12:55 AM

they may consider their current offerings to be "next gen"
Puppet
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 07:52:44 AM

how many crapterras did you order?

The exact same amount I ordered from all the other asic vendors: zero.
Puppet
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 08:04:43 AM

The actual job description mentions "Knowledge on latest technology node (FinFETs, 20nm, 16nm) is a plus".
Granted, thats not definitive, but common sense dictates this cant be for the current design. You wouldnt go through the process of hiring a new lead engineer at this late stage, that makes no sense whatsoever; With time this critical it could never yield a better result than continuing with the team you have. A qualified new lead engineer is not likely found and able to start working the next day, if you publish this job posting today, you probably wont have anyone working for you for another 3 months. So even if your entire team died in a plane crash, you would still rather contract a company that has a well oiled team in place, instead of hiring people and building your own.

Mind you, its entirely possible their schedule is slipping, but these job openings have nothing to do with it.
HyperMega

Activity: 129

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 10:36:27 AM
Last edit: November 07, 2013, 11:26:05 AM by HyperMega

The actual job description mentions "Knowledge on latest technology node (FinFETs, 20nm, 16nm) is a plus".
Granted, thats not definitive, but common sense dictates this cant be for the current design. You wouldnt go through the process of hiring a new lead engineer at this late stage, that makes no sense whatsoever; With time this critical it could never yield a better result than continuing with the team you have. A qualified new lead engineer is not likely found and able to start working the next day, if you publish this job posting today, you probably wont have anyone working for you for another 3 months. So even if your entire team died in a plane crash, you would still rather contract a company that has a well oiled team in place, instead of hiring people and building your own.

Mind you, its entirely possible their schedule is slipping, but these job openings have nothing to do with it.

Maybe there was some trouble in paradise? Wink

With respect to the initially announced close cooperation with OpenSilicon it makes absolutely no sense to hire these kind of engineers, neither for the development/implementation of the actual gen nor the next gen. They are not required for the pure system competence and these kind of tasks (especially the physical implementation) should be outsourced to a partner with an experienced implementation team for which “after tape-out is before tape-out”.

Maybe OpenSilicon just realized how high the Cointerra margins finally could be, tried to renegotiate and got too greedy? Took the design as hostage and said no tape-out before we agree on higher royalties! Wink

Sorry, probably just some funny FUD!
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 03:47:28 PM

Maybe there was some trouble in paradise? Wink

With respect to the initially announced close cooperation with OpenSilicon it makes absolutely no sense to hire these kind of engineers, neither for the development/implementation of the actual gen nor the next gen. They are not required for the pure system competence and these kind of tasks (especially the physical implementation) should be outsourced to a partner with an experienced implementation team for which “after tape-out is before tape-out”.

Maybe OpenSilicon just realized how high the Cointerra margins finally could be, tried to renegotiate and got too greedy? Took the design as hostage and said no tape-out before we agree on higher royalties! Wink

Sorry, probably just some funny FUD!

I believe that would be extremely illegal

DPoS

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 05:43:09 PM

I believe that would be extremely illegal

how long (and lost opportunity in this fast space) would it be to take them through legal action??

and without any product how are they paying for lawyers to even take the case?

you think justice is free?

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:35:45 AM

I thought this company had the most extensive industry connections of all the ASIC hardware manufacturers, though? That's definitely what they're major selling point was originally. In most other ways, what they presented was little different to the other players.

Vires in numeris
DPoS

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:31:35 AM

hmm  no other company ever ditched an old gen and just said, hey look at this shiny new gen!!   let us just move your pre-order money to that... 

monkee

Activity: 172

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:29:37 PM

hmm  no other company ever ditched an old gen and just said, hey look at this shiny new gen!!   let us just move your pre-order money to that... 

BFL did, actually.  you could transfer the cost of an unshipped 60nm order into a monarch order

still, never buy anything from BFL though
console_cowboy

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:34:09 PM

BFL did, actually.  you could transfer the cost of an unshipped 60nm order into a monarch order

still, never buy anything from BFL though

Thatsthejoke.gif
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: