Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:19:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you been a victim of scams?  (Read 691 times)
cryptocoinfarmer (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:02:16 PM
Last edit: January 04, 2018, 12:45:28 PM by cryptocoinfarmer

I am really interested in this topic and am writing Bachelor thesis about types of frauds on the internet. I believe it is serious problem and it is important to share your stories so others would be aware of these issues.

Please share your experience, where you faced scams, what were your losses, do you know anyone else who faced same issues?

Examples of scams:
1.) Shady Exchanges
2.) Pyramids and Ponzi Schemes
3.) ICOs
4.) Mining software with malware
5.) Emails from scammers.

I will be really thankful for your stories!

P.S. Please specify scam websites, token names or projects in order to bring awareness.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hellobx

Activity: 224

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:09:42 PM

I am really interested in this topic and am writing Bachelor thesis about types of frauds on the internet. I believe it is serious problem and it is important to share your stories so others would be aware of these issues.

Please share your experience, where you faced scams, what were your losses, do you know anyone else who faced same issues?

Examples of scams:
1.) Shady Exchanges
3.) ICOs

I had invested in a token, and it promised some exchanges, and then it would give me 10 times the return, but then these tokens became worthless, and I lost my money.

cryptocoinfarmer (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:21:56 PM

If this is not a secret can you write the token name? Maybe you could write how you found this token?
Cryptoguru274

Activity: 280

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2018, 12:28:52 PM

I have been scamed before by an Airdrop bounty. Once I clicked the link I don't know how my Etherwallet was hacked immediately. Uptill now the guy collects my tokens steady. It was a very bitter experience for me last year, 2017 though I have opened new wallets for my bounty now.

Icey47

Activity: 85
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:30:32 PM

I've been victimized by a Ponzi scheme disguised as the most trusted revenue sharing website.  Angry It made me think twice about the word most trusted next time I try to find another earning opportunity.
panghae

Activity: 148

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:35:08 PM

No, i do a full time research before i do anything in the community,that will save you from these greedy people because crypto community is  getting more scammy than ever before.

cryptocoinfarmer (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:36:54 PM

Icey47 could you share the name of sharing website?
qazgroup

Activity: 1022
Merit: 20

RiveMont

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:38:04 PM

Yes i have seen two clear cut ico scam recently, one was called Ethbooks and second one was Confido, both raised good money, but disappeared after the ico, taking away all the money.

●   RiveMont   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  RVMT  ❱❱❱❱❱❱  
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  DeFi token  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
dangdangdang

Merit: 101

THE WORLD'S FIRST FIXED MONTHLY ALLOWANCE PLAN

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2018, 12:39:43 PM

In my personal experience think I'm not victimized by scammers because since I started joining the signature bounty campaign in this forum I read a lot of security measure management in order not to fall into the scammers or fraud ICOs.
But I've been in fraud ICOs but I no incident that my money was taken away but it's just that I joined a bad ICO that didn't make it into proper market circulation.

sparg

Activity: 280
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:40:15 PM

I dont know if it could be called a scam but i`ve participated on Multibot bounty campaign with a full thrust in the project otherwise wouldn`t promote them.
After the ICO ended the managers went quiet and they dont respond to any message here or on facebook. I`ve gotten my tokens in my wallet but they are worthless not being listed anywere.
I feel that i waisted a month for nothing and they could said something, even that the project will not go forward or something.

Nana_Marini

Activity: 392
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:41:37 PM

Yes, I ever been a victim scam in ICO. I am join in signature campaign but the end I never get the rewards from the ICO because the ICO is scam. I am so sad after read the news in the ICO thread  Roll Eyes
dangdangdang

THE WORLD'S FIRST FIXED MONTHLY ALLOWANCE PLAN

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2018, 12:42:29 PM

No, i do a full time research before i do anything in the community,that will save you from these greedy people because crypto community is  getting more scammy than ever before.

Actually that's what I did first when I was about to join a bounty campaigns. I have to make sure that a coin that I'm going to earn from bounty campaigns ia a good one and my time will not be wasted.
In order not to fall into scam and fraud or swindled then its a clever act just to make sure that everything will be fine after an ICO.

kevoh

Activity: 448
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:43:14 PM
Last edit: January 04, 2018, 03:38:32 PM by kevoh

Examples of scams:
1.) Shady Exchanges
3.) ICOs

I have only been scammed in pyramids and ponzi schemes. The name of the scheme was the infamous Mavrodi Mondial Moneybox popularly called MMM. I was promised 30% returns on investment on local fiat money but the whole system crashed two months later. That was the last time I promised to get involved in any of these sill schemes.

Meanwhile, I just discovered that the same MMM scheme has crept into the crypto world and launched their own ICO with the same MMM name.
Chandler32

Activity: 85
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:45:22 PM

I've been victimized by a Ponzi scheme disguised as the most trusted revenue sharing website.  Angry It made me think twice about the word most trusted next time I try to find another earning opportunity.

I think that I know the name of this 'most trusted' website you are referring to! M** and M***? lol They've even got a Bitcoin revenue sharing website which everyone thought was legit. I pity those who got scammed by this.
mickymax777

Activity: 96
Merit: 11

Cryptologist

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:54:12 PM

Examples of scams:
1.) Shady Exchanges
3.) ICOs

P.S. Please specify scam websites, token names or projects in order to bring awareness.

My MEW got hacked and they stole 0.9 ETH. I'm very security aware but I got caught because I replied on an email (slack support for IOTA). I can only blame myself because I will NEVER reply to emails requesting my banking details, so why did I reply to the slack email?  I did not focus, I'm really disappointed in myself BUT I paid the school fess and hope that it will never happen again.

I believe that because of the complex nature of cryptos, especially in the beginning, we are more exposed to scams. What I like is the communities that warn their members of scams (SCAM ALERTS)

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
jeanpierre

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 12:55:28 PM

I've been scam by people on slack who claimed to be from the team and you can make a lot of money by investing in their pre-ico

「   B e a x y   」   THE ALL-IN-ONE CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE
[ WHITEPAPER ]               Instant Deposit                   24/7 Support                    Referral Program               [ LIGHTPAPER ]
ANN THREAD     ●     BOUNTY THREAD     ●     FACEBOOK     ●     TWITTER     ●     TELEGRAM
prodigys

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:00:19 PM

i was scam from a bulgaria account here in the forum

then i ask amex to help to dispute the transaction. and i won the dispute
onetwostep

Activity: 658

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:03:08 PM

Examples of scams:
1.) Shady Exchanges
3.) ICOs

My MEW got hacked and they stole 0.9 ETH. I'm very security aware but I got caught because I replied on an email (slack support for IOTA). I can only blame myself because I will NEVER reply to emails requesting my banking details, so why did I reply to the slack email?  I did not focus, I'm really disappointed in myself BUT I paid the school fess and hope that it will never happen again.

I believe that because of the complex nature of cryptos, especially in the beginning, we are more exposed to scams. What I like is the communities that warn their members of scams (SCAM ALERTS)

I have not encountered such problems yet. It was particularly access to many of my friend's account. Those who accidentally share a private key,
who have a keylogger on their computer ...
Security is really important. We pay attention but we can make mistakes too Sad

fredo123

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:11:43 PM

Yes i am a victim of scam last year, i don't know how he access my account when i try to withdraw my trading investment in hitbtc, while processing to withdraw, My withdrawals are not successfully cash out, the other day when i visit the site, all my earnings are gone like a bubble. That's the most devastating experience i've encountered last year. 
cryptocoinfarmer (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2018, 01:16:35 PM

There is a way to get key without keylogger.
If you copy paste your private key and leave it like that and not copy anything else when you enter some mystical website they could get your private key from the clipboard.

Here is example:
https://hackernoon.com/you-need-to-discover-the-awesome-clipboard-web-api-12b248d05dd3
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: