Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:39:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Can myetherwallet get hacked?  (Read 4205 times)
ViktorTroshka

Activity: 420
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 06:35:05 AM

Yes, the site myetherwallet can be hacked. And if after that you enter your private key, then hacker will use it. This is even a warning on their website. Just use MetaMask or an offline version of the myetherwallet. But even better is to buy a hardware wallet ledger nano for full protection.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ask
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 06:37:35 AM

If your private keys are safe and not hacked with phising or keyloggers than your funds are safe.
Dont use that usb stick with every computer. and nevery type your private key on public computers.
crimsongoth

Activity: 588
Merit: 18

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2018, 06:38:33 AM

I don't think that anyone will encounter a problem such as hacking of myetherwallet if anyone haven't stored the necessary key information for access on the computer. Myetherwallet is one of the best wallet platforms, but that doesn't mean it will never get hacked. Only I don't see anything wrong from your point of view right now.
Sponsoredby15

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 06:46:54 AM

Well its possible their a lot of phishing sites out there that can steal your private keys to make sure that your token will be secured you just have to install metamask if you dont have money to buy hardware wallets
witch

Activity: 616

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 07:12:49 AM

Hi, i have backupped my pvkeys on an usb stick. I wrote it also down on a piece of paper. My computer broke. I put a metal pin through the harddrives. I will not buy a new pc soon. So i wont check in on myetherwallet for some time. I cant click on phishing links. My question is : are my funds safe? Can myetherwallet get hacked? Can my funds dissapear even when i have no computer, hid my keys? Im to stupid to work with a ledger or trezor. Can something happen to it like with the parity/kill?
Your ETH tokens are not stored on Myetherwallet. They are stored in the blockchain which can not be manipulated due to its construction.

The only wy an attacker can steal your funds is by guessing your private key.
thepo1m

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 07:19:11 AM

This is not even a matter of MEW, it is a matter of private key, no matter which wallet you are using if somebody else gain access to it, you will lose your fund, most people talk of Etherdelta and got their wallet compromised, it was because you link your private keys to the exchange and you get more vulnerable
princehandsome

Activity: 731
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 07:23:42 AM

if you still keep your private key and nobody knows about it, i think your assets will be safely stored in your wallet.
according to the already senior say here if still in doubt check in https://etherscan.io/ and enter your address.
may be useful for you. regards.
rowel21

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 07:27:50 AM

Yeah it can be hacked I have  3 friends who's doing btc and their wallet been hacked
Don't know how its done but they warn me don't click  a site it might be a pishing
Once you click those site they will know your private key and say goodbye to your token

>        https://MFCHAIN.com        <
MERCHANT PAYMENTS + REWARD SYSTEM SMART CONTRACT PLATFORM

Code:
chipzeru

Activity: 686
Merit: 39

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 07:41:35 AM

As long as you are still holding your priv keys, never tell it to the others, not clicking on the phising link and visit the actual website then it's safe. So far MEW proven to be a safe wallet. For phising link, it's quite simple to avoid it. Put your pointer over the link then the actual destination address will showing up on the bottom left of your browser. Make sure the destination address is legit.

How about malwares? Keyloggers?
There are many people got hacked as well eventhough they never get phissed. If you are using your wallet by entering your private key, then you will eventually get hacked, no doubt about that. The only safe wallet is the wallet than even you dont know the private key. In this case the a swer is hardware wallet. Or atleast please use metamask and create new wallet there not importing your current wallet

Thanks for the information. I do agree with you that hardware wallet is the best place to store altcoins like trezor or using metamask in case you don't have money to buy it. I also agree that there many ways for hackers to collect the wallet information like malwares and keyloggers but the problem is there's lot of people who still using priv keys to enter their mew and the most cases of people getting hacked is caused by entering priv keys on phishing site or clicking on phishing link and mistakenly put the priv keys instead of the address when filling airdrop or bounty form even ICO form. So far, to avoid malwares and keyloggers in my PC, i rely on Malwarebytes antivirus and sometimes checking the programs/services that running on windows task manager (If you use windows).
MISS_nSTASSY

Activity: 392
Merit: 105

Vena.Network

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 07:52:18 AM

Yep, MyEtherWallet can be hacked. And you know what I would like to say? Blockchain can be hacked too. Everything can be hacked. Another question is - what resources are required to do this or that. For now it is safe. Just recommend you to use simple rules of safety and - one important thing - just dont tell everyone how much you got money or coins. Mayby this is the most important thing

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾       WhitePaper       ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾       Vena Network       ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾       Announce       ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
―――――       Luoshu Agreement - an Open Agreement For Asset Financing and Tokenization       ―――――
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾      Telegram    ‾‾    Github    ‾‾         Join Our Bounty         ‾‾    Twitter    ‾‾    FaceBook      ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
arkaasay

Activity: 336

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 08:16:10 AM

I think your assets will remain in your ethereum wallet and will not be lost. I'm pretty sure of that, do not lose your private key and the second key because without it, I do not know how else you can have access in your wallet.
gcckpxm62308

Activity: 120
Merit: 21

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 08:20:37 AM

If your private key is not lost then your money is safe and you can put your money in a safer wallet, such as an Ethereum wallet or a hardware wallet, and I wish you good luck.
rowel21

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 08:27:29 AM

Yeah it can be I have a friend  he click a site then his token are all gone that site is pishing and when you click it they can trace your private key and say goodbye to your token

Code:
ViktorTroshka

Activity: 420
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 07:58:51 PM

As long as you are still holding your priv keys, never tell it to the others, not clicking on the phising link and visit the actual website then it's safe. So far MEW proven to be a safe wallet. For phising link, it's quite simple to avoid it. Put your pointer over the link then the actual destination address will showing up on the bottom left of your browser. Make sure the destination address is legit.

How about malwares? Keyloggers?
There are many people got hacked as well eventhough they never get phissed. If you are using your wallet by entering your private key, then you will eventually get hacked, no doubt about that. The only safe wallet is the wallet than even you dont know the private key. In this case the a swer is hardware wallet. Or atleast please use metamask and create new wallet there not importing your current wallet
Keyloggers do not appear on the computer themselves. It is necessary to adhere to standard safety rules. Visit only checked sites and do not download unknown files.
Even better to buy one laptop only for working with exchanges and wallets and the second for surfing the net, entertainment and etc.
chocopapaya

Activity: 686
Merit: 131

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2018, 08:07:00 PM

One of the biggest misunderstandings about myetherwallet is that people think it's some kind of wallet or app that stores your coin.
Myetherwallet is simple a graphical user interface that lets you interact with the ethereum network.

So technically, myetherwallet can never be hacked.

What really happens, is your keys get compromised and your tokens get moved to a different eth address.

Your keys can get compromised through phishing scams, malware and spyware, etc.

So if you secure your computer and your keys, then no problem.

The best policy is to be over paranoid, and it looks like you are doing that so I would say no problem.

Just be careful and you will be allright.

Nboramir

Activity: 538

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 08:10:33 PM

I do not know how. but a couple of days ago my tokens were recalled on my account. Nobody knew priv. I do not know how it is possible to find a private key list.
Zarbout

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 08:14:37 PM

Hi, i have backupped my pvkeys on an usb stick. I wrote it also down on a piece of paper. My computer broke. I put a metal pin through the harddrives. I will not buy a new pc soon. So i wont check in on myetherwallet for some time. I cant click on phishing links. My question is : are my funds safe? Can myetherwallet get hacked? Can my funds dissapear even when i have no computer, hid my keys? Im to stupid to work with a ledger or trezor. Can something happen to it like with the parity/kill?

You can't loose your money unless you loose you private keys. I PKs are stored in safe way your funds will be OK.

alieknov

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 01:39:12 AM

There's a possibility that it will get hacked but the percentage is small.
Everyone has their own private key, you are lucky once you open your pc and your private key is still there.
But if it is gone, i think it cannot be opened. But you can still open your wallet if you have the eth address.
steins19

Activity: 275
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 01:54:26 AM

Your wallet can be hacked if someone can determine your private key. So basically install all the browser extensions needed to secure your wallet and be sure to hide your key as well. Avoid visiting phishing sites to prevent hackers getting your information.

Crypto made easier  ██░██ ██ █▄░█ ▄▀▄ █▀▄ ▄▀▄ ▀▄░▄▀MenaPay.io
than cash█░▀░█ █▄ █░▀█ █▀█ █▀░ █▀█ ░░█░░
Ba37

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2018, 02:00:41 AM

Keep your private key safe. You should be good.

As a general practice, you should never click on any spam links. Cheers.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  

Jump to: