Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 08:06:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the worst trading decision you've ever made?  (Read 1376 times)
J. Cooper

Activity: 294
Merit: 125

Alea iacta est

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 11:53:12 PM

I haven't really made any bad decisions that drastically affected me in an extremely negative way. I did however lock myself in a long term trade that went - 70% really quickly, but recovering as of recently (down only 45% atm). The worst mistakes are probably holding for a long time but selling early (right before massive pumps.
reganvegan (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 11:53:41 PM

My worst decision in trading was not buying ETH when the price was too low in the past and I never thought that it will go above $1k in such a quick time and if I would have bought ETH at that time then right now I would be enjoying huge profits and that regret will always be in my mind and now I don't think that its price will crash as its moving higher and higher and can even touch $1500 price in coming days and if it falls below $1k then this time I won't miss the opportunity of buying it.

A lot of us missed the boat on that one. What was it trading at when you were looking at it?
reganvegan (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:05:40 AM

Probably selling LTC when it was $40 after a few bucks profit...  Learned quickly that these markets do not trade like the conventional markets.

Yeah LTC was bobbing around that $40 mark for ages. It can be hard to hold when you see all these other coins making huge gains and yours is just going sideways. I still fall into that trap sometimes.
reganvegan (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:14:29 AM

We always hear people posting about their awesome trades and/or gains but very rarely hear about the stupid things that people do. With that in mind, let's hear the biggest brainfarts you've had while trading crypto...
For me, the worst trading the decision I made was in late November where I sold my STOX tokens for $0.566 each because their value in not growing to the level I want and yesterday I saw STOX was selling at about $1.5 each. I said to myself - shoot! is that STOX am I seeing or another coins with the same name. Smiley

I actually participated in the Stox ICO. I sold for $2 after it finished which was technically a profit compared to USD but if I just left the money in ETH, I would have gained a lot more.
reganvegan (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:34:18 AM

I haven't really made any bad decisions that drastically affected me in an extremely negative way. I did however lock myself in a long term trade that went - 70% really quickly, but recovering as of recently (down only 45% atm). The worst mistakes are probably holding for a long time but selling early (right before massive pumps.

Sounds like you got in at the top - a common and costly error that most of us have done at least once in our trading careers...
reganvegan (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:40:40 AM

That I only used ONE website to keep me updated about all the news :/ dammit!!! why did i do that? sorry it makes me a bit angry when im thinking about it
now I have tons of tg channels that I follow
Also stuff like the merkle, coinjournal, cointelegraph. youtube channels too. actually cointelegraph has a very cool one and it's hilarious
so yeah.. not making the same mistake again.

It's always good to have news coming from diversified sources: decentralised news! Who are your favourite YouTubers? I really like Crypto Daily, Ready Set Crypto, Doug Polk Crypto, and BoxMining...
karungbitcoin

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 12:40:59 AM

My worst trading decision is i bought NEO $25 and sold it by price $30 and a next day the price strong bullish,  i missed big profit. I did this mistake in a few trade and now i decide to do long term trading because look promising higher profit than short trading. Now i will focus to trade base on fundamental analysis and doing long term trading.

███    TWITTER     MOCKTAIL      WHITEPAPER     ███
███       ANN                        FIRST SEMI-FUNGIBLE TOKEN ON BSC         SMART CONTRACT    ███
███  TELEGRAM       SWAP             PANCAKE      ███
reganvegan (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:33:16 AM

I have made a few stupid decisions in regards to trading. The first is that I tried to do arbitrage trading between 2 exchanges, where I bought a shitcoin on one exchange, to sell it at the other, but when I was about to deposit the coin in the exchange I was plan to sell it at, the wallet was under maintenance, lolz. If I did the effort to check first if everything was all right, I would have seen the maintenance warning. Second mistake is that I bought a certain altcoin, and quite a few of them it were, while I was looking to execute a sell order. It shows that it isn't a good thing to trade when you're half asleep.... All these are 2015'ish mistakes.

I was thinking of trying out the arbitrage thing but was worried about something like this happening. At least these mistakes are in the distant past...
reganvegan (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:34:34 AM

My worst trading decision is i bought NEO $25 and sold it by price $30 and a next day the price strong bullish,  i missed big profit. I did this mistake in a few trade and now i decide to do long term trading because look promising higher profit than short trading. Now i will focus to trade base on fundamental analysis and doing long term trading.

I'm exactly the same: look for fantastic projects with good, long-term potential
gilangIDR
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:43:22 AM

We always hear people posting about their awesome trades and/or gains but very rarely hear about the stupid things that people do. With that in mind, let's hear the biggest brainfarts you've had while trading crypto...

The worst thing I ever did was sell my bitcoin at a very cheap price, I had a huge loss. At that time I experienced a sell panic because the price of bitcoin decreased drastically. Yet a few hours later the bitcoin price went up and I thought I made a big mistake, if only I had patience then I could gain the opportunity to keep my bitcoin assets and then sell them at a much higher price. My mental and emotional level is an important part of taking every decision.
zenrol28
Copper Member

Activity: 854
Merit: 110

Give Hope For Everyone!

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 01:45:47 AM

It was just last year and i still feeling it. My first time trading in poloniex. When i bought a coin before the BCH hardfork date. So many FUDs around the internet that time and the market was affected making BTC down to 2000. All coins were also in deep red that time. And because it was my first time, i didn't hold my coin long enough and sold it at half of its price i bought it. And after a few months, the coin that i sold went high with x20 increase. How i wish i could still have those coins that time. And this charged to my experience. I'll hold my coins til i see it goes through.

reganvegan (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:50:00 AM

One of my worst decisions was to sell all my BCH at 300$ (mainly because everything said to dump it while you can lol). Wish I waited a little longer to sell it...

I think a lot of people did the same thing. Still, who knew that the Chinese miners would throw their weight behind BCH?!
reganvegan (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:51:49 AM

It was just last year and i still feeling it. My first time trading in poloniex. When i bought a coin before the BCH hardfork date. So many FUDs around the internet that time and the market was affected making BTC down to 2000. All coins were also in deep red that time. And because it was my first time, i didn't hold my coin long enough and sold it at half of its price i bought it. And after a few months, the coin that i sold went high with x20 increase. How i wish i could still have those coins that time. And this charged to my experience. I'll hold my coins til i see it goes through.

Ouch! That's an expensive lesson. Still, best to put that in the past, I reckon...
reganvegan (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 02:14:37 AM

That FUD got a lot of people. You aren't even the only one in this thread to experience losses due to it!
gladiusnl

Activity: 223

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 02:24:13 AM

I heard people on this forum said that nxt will be very potiental and it gonna give me another free coin when i hold nxt . I followed them and suddenly NXT drop 50% price. It's really sucks.
reganvegan (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 02:28:05 AM

My biggest mistake was "top buy, sell bottoms"
In 2 days I lost 50% of my property

That's a pretty huge loss. What coin was it??
reganvegan (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 02:36:14 AM

I heard people on this forum said that nxt will be very potiental and it gonna give me another free coin when i hold nxt . I followed them and suddenly NXT drop 50% price. It's really sucks.

Was that around the time of the Christmas spike?
Dondont

Activity: 446
Merit: 12

BitbondSTO.com | Germany’s First STO

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2018, 03:07:33 AM

I once made the worst decision in trading
that was the first week i joined bitcoin trading, i ever participated in the FOMO and then buy the coin all in (at that time i don't know what fomo is), then I think the price will still continue to rise, but the price is unpredictable, while I stay asleep, the next day the price has dumped, and it took more than 3 weeks for the price to come back again.

giveen

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 03:49:09 AM

Selling like literally selling a coin when you are in a profit , there are several coins which i used to trade to increase my amount of btc i make profit but the mistake i made was selling it immediately after reaching my goal , what i realised now is it's better to put stop loss rather than selling it away because you could easily make more profit or control your loss.
namjar

Activity: 361
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 04:04:12 AM

This is not an decision that i made while i was "trading" but i still remember that i was holding 300K Of TRON when the price was less than $0,01 each, LMAO.

If i didn't sold them all, i could have a huge amount of money when the price touched it's ATH.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄