Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:14:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: A plea to Yifu  (Read 3548 times)
bigbeninlondon (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:47:43 PM

I know there's been a lot of discussion regarding the Avalon chips.  I don't have a huge stake in this game, but a couple hundred is enough for me to treat my family to a couple of nice dinners or a weekend trip.  I understand we knew that there were risks, and so this post is not an attempt to seek some kind of restitution.  I just simply want to know what happened.  Chips were supposed to be shipped out 6 weeks ago.  You claim that 200K chips are held up in customs and have been there for two weeks.  So here are my questions.

• Why were the chips 4 weeks late?
  • Why are the chips held up in customs?
  • Are you doing anything to get the chips out of customs?
  • When can we expect additional shipments to come out?
  • Do you have any plans to make up for this delay with people who trusted you with millions of dollars in capital?

I'm not on a witch hunt here, I just think the community as a whole would really appreciate a more complete picture.  You are frequently active on the forums, so I know you've been monitoring the situation, even if only passively.

Yifu, please let us know what is going on with our chips.  We just want to know.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:49:54 PM

^ you are here.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:53:44 PM

you really expect an answer?
bigbeninlondon (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:55:41 PM

you really expect an answer?

I don't know; I figured this was better than stomping our feet and beating our chests in the "I'm not dead" forum.  Maybe a direct approach will get his attention? 
bigbeninlondon (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:56:23 PM

^ you are here.

Progress right?  Smiley
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:57:42 PM

Maybe a direct approach will get his attention? 

i've always said the best approach would be for someone to go to NYC and find him.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 06:59:13 PM

^ you are here.

Progress right?  Smiley

Lol, keep up the good fight, bro. Wink

bystander

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:37:37 PM

I know there's been a lot of discussion regarding the Avalon chips.  I don't have a huge stake in this game, but a couple hundred is enough for me to treat my family to a couple of nice dinners or a weekend trip.  I understand we knew that there were risks, and so this post is not an attempt to seek some kind of restitution.  I just simply want to know what happened.  Chips were supposed to be shipped out 6 weeks ago.  You claim that 200K chips are held up in customs and have been there for two weeks.  So here are my questions.

• Why are the chips held up in customs?
  • Are you doing anything to get the chips out of customs?
  • When can we expect additional shipments to come out?
  • Do you have any plans to make up for this delay with people who trusted you with millions of dollars in capital?

I'm not on a witch hunt here, I just think the community as a whole would really appreciate a more complete picture.  You are frequently active on the forums, so I know you've been monitoring the situation, even if only passively.

Yifu, please let us know what is going on with our chips.  We just want to know.

He's going to level with us all just like Dr. Rumack from Airplane:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sVdXg0aYYw
bystander

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 07:42:45 PM

i've always said the best approach would be for someone to go to NYC and find him.

If one of the filings with the FBI go through, it's not entirely implausible for them to flag him in the system.  Once once he steps into any US-controlled port of entry he could be pulled into a room for interrogation or possible apprehension.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2013, 07:55:29 PM

If one of the filings with the FBI go through, it's not entirely implausible for them to flag him in the system.  Once once he steps into any US-controlled port of entry he could be pulled into a room for interrogation or possible apprehension.

I thought the same exact thing--for about two seconds.

the "i'm not dead thread."

Just got off the plane, expect lots of news tomorrow.

He just got off the plane! Care to guess at what airport? Clue: CNY not NYC.
warhawk187

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 08:01:29 PM

If hes ignoring people with thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of $, hes not gonna respond to you personally via this forum over a missed family vacation, no offense. It took an angry mob just to get 'an update'. Best bet is to call him (347 number somewhere going around here, I could be wrong) and see if he picks up and ask him yourself. No doubt that dozens, if not hundreds have already tried and would probably have updated the lot of us if we got anything more than "Stuck in customs, keep waiting".

Considering the gov't is quite corrupt there (it is here too, but differently, kinda), maybe he did have to bribe several people/gangs along the way to get those chips shipped out of the country if they caught word about them and did any research into what these chips did. The amount of possible explanations is endless.

The lack of updates and communication is incredibly unprofessional. And the "stuck in customs, keep waiting" seems like a modified excuse from BFL's handbook.

Can anyone here, who even remotely knows him, remind him that hes fucking over a lot of dedicated, talented people for every day the chips are late?

Maybe he just doesn't give a shit because he has all his $ and doesn't need your business anymore, much less his attention to this clusterfuck he has created here.

dyseac

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 09:08:45 PM

I don't have a huge stake in this game, but a couple hundred is enough for me to treat my family to a couple of nice dinners or a weekend trip. 

Fuck your 4 weeks and family dinners. Why were our batch# 3's 12 weeks late??

Let's just face it. He's a dog.
bigbeninlondon (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 09:09:13 PM

I don't have a huge stake in this game, but a couple hundred is enough for me to treat my family to a couple of nice dinners or a weekend trip. 

Fuck your 4 weeks and family dinners. Why were our batch# 3's 12 weeks late??

Let's just face it. He's a dog.

Fuck you too buddy.
jermwerty

Activity: 472

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 10:30:34 PM

*** your 4 weeks and family dinners. Why were our batch# 3's 12 weeks late??

Those complaining about chips have little to gripe about versus the B3 being MUCH more costly and MUCH more delayed.

Remember chips weren't even ANNOUNCED when B3 went up for sale.

Any compensation SHOULD go to B3 owners first. 

And no, I don't think there will be any compensation. 
warhawk187

Activity: 327

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 10:43:19 PM

TBH Batch 3 was egregiously overpriced...

glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 10:47:52 PM

^^^ batch 3 wasn't overprice --- if it wasn't 3 months late. As is will be break even and get a small ROI but it's not as great investment as it looked originally.

As someone who has been to China and has friends in China, just wanted to say briefly that 'shit is different over there'. I'm not defending Yifu or apologizing for his lateness, but, folks got to keep in mind business is just done differently over there. If there is a customs problem that means that right person was not paid the right amount. Bribery is just the primary way business gets done over there, folks do not have the same legal protections or recourse available to them.  I don't know the details of the situation but that's just the fact of doing business with companies in China. 

Even up to multinational company level, you have to pay many bribes 'fee's' to many people and you are at there mercy, you can complain  to any sort of business organization or the police or anything. It's a much different system than in North america.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
bigbeninlondon (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 11:54:02 PM

^^^ batch 3 wasn't overprice --- if it wasn't 3 months late. As is will be break even and get a small ROI but it's not as great investment as it looked originally.

As someone who has been to China and has friends in China, just wanted to say briefly that 'shit is different over there'. I'm not defending Yifu or apologizing for his lateness, but, folks got to keep in mind business is just done differently over there. If there is a customs problem that means that right person was not paid the right amount. Bribery is just the primary way business gets done over there, folks do not have the same legal protections or recourse available to them.  I don't know the details of the situation but that's just the fact of doing business with companies in China. 

Even up to multinational company level, you have to pay many bribes 'fee's' to many people and you are at there mercy, you can complain  to any sort of business organization or the police or anything. It's a much different system than in North america.

That's what I've come to understand. 

I think we are still entitled to an explanation.  Four weeks went by before these even got to custom.  I just want an answer.  If Yifu ignores me, then I'm no worse off than everyone beating their chests in the "Not Dead Thread".  Maybe my post publicly directed at Yifu will get a response.   I'm not holding my breath, but what's the harm?
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 14, 2013, 11:56:40 PM

As someone who has been to China and has friends in China, just wanted to say briefly that 'shit is different over there'. I'm not defending Yifu or apologizing for his lateness, but, folks got to keep in mind business is just done differently over there. If there is a customs problem that means that right person was not paid the right amount. Bribery is just the primary way business gets done over there, folks do not have the same legal protections or recourse available to them.  I don't know the details of the situation but that's just the fact of doing business with companies in China.  

Even up to multinational company level, you have to pay many bribes 'fee's' to many people and you are at there mercy, you can complain  to any sort of business organization or the police or anything. It's a much different system than in North america.

I think we are still entitled to an explanation.  Four weeks went by before these even got to custom.  I just want an answer.  If Yifu ignores me, then I'm no worse off than everyone beating their chests in the "Not Dead Thread".  Maybe my post publicly directed at Yifu will get a response.   I'm not holding my breath, but what's the harm?

No they didn't 2.1 million chips were photographed ready and in hand by an ex-Bitsyncom member in late June and posted on this forum.

bigbeninlondon (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:01:39 AM

As someone who has been to China and has friends in China, just wanted to say briefly that 'shit is different over there'. I'm not defending Yifu or apologizing for his lateness, but, folks got to keep in mind business is just done differently over there. If there is a customs problem that means that right person was not paid the right amount. Bribery is just the primary way business gets done over there, folks do not have the same legal protections or recourse available to them.  I don't know the details of the situation but that's just the fact of doing business with companies in China.  

Even up to multinational company level, you have to pay many bribes 'fee's' to many people and you are at there mercy, you can complain  to any sort of business organization or the police or anything. It's a much different system than in North america.

I think we are still entitled to an explanation.  Four weeks went by before these even got to custom.  I just want an answer.  If Yifu ignores me, then I'm no worse off than everyone beating their chests in the "Not Dead Thread".  Maybe my post publicly directed at Yifu will get a response.   I'm not holding my breath, but what's the harm?

No they didn't 2.1 million chips were photographed ready and in hand by an ex-Bitsyncom member in late June and posted on this forum.

No they didn't what?

Yifu said they were held in customs since 2 weeks.  I take that to mean that there were 4 weeks between the end of the promised lead time and when the chips hit customs.  What happened during that time?  If chips were ready, why did they sit for 4 weeks?
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:05:21 AM

I am not sure if people understand that all goods that LEAVE china must clear customs (chinese customs).   We ship 2-4 containers a week out of china, and everything on them is declared to customs minimum 3 days before the container leaves.   If it does not clear chinese customs, it is not allowed on the ship.   Sometimes when you EMS 5-10 boxes, you can get them out with no customs approval.  But, if you send too many they will hold for customs.    Then you just have to send someone to deal with customs.    It usually delays them a couple days.   
I am not defending Yifu's story (because I think it is complete BS and I adamantly believe he stole batch II units from us and mined them himself), I am just seeing a lot of people confused about customs (and which customs it is).
BTW, once you get your goods to HK, they have been cleared through chinese customs and you can easily send them wherever you wish.

bigbeninlondon (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:11:18 AM

And they also have to clear customs in their destination country.  Ragingazn's sample chips have been held up in NY customs for weeks now.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:16:31 AM

No they didn't what?

Yifu said they were held in customs since 2 weeks.  I take that to mean that there were 4 weeks between the end of the promised lead time and when the chips hit customs.  What happened during that time?  If chips were ready, why did they sit for 4 weeks?

The tracking code is clearly identifiable on the images as they are high res, and in another thread I believe someone had mentioned Hong Kong was a destination, but check for yourself. Cannot remember which thread but it had a link to check the Chinese tracking no.

http://imgur.com/a/GR0e3

Apparently it originated from here;

http://www.btcman.com/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4621&extra=page%3D1&page=4

But I don't read Chinese.

EDIT: Found this though: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252233.msg2682662#msg2682662

bigbeninlondon (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:19:20 AM

No they didn't what?

The tracking code is clearly identifiable on the images as they are high res, and in another thread I believe someone had mentioned Hong Kong was a destination, but check for yourself. Cannot remember which thread but it had a link to check the Chinese tracking no.

http://www.btcman.com/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4621&extra=page%3D1&page=4

EDIT: Found this though: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252233.msg2682662#msg2682662

I don't know what you are trying to say.  That they WEREN'T in customs?  I'm not sure how your picture of Chips destined for Hong Kong proves they weren't in customs...
Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:20:49 AM

No they didn't what?
But I do.   That is the point of my last line.   Once they are in HK.....
I do not believe the story.   Fortunately, I have nothing outstanding with them after II and III.   If I ever see him at a conference I will call him out for the no face thief that I think he is and will see if he can convince me otherwise or if he will just run away like a little bitch.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:23:06 AM

No they didn't what?

Yifu said they were held in customs since 2 weeks.  I take that to mean that there were 4 weeks between the end of the promised lead time and when the chips hit customs.  What happened during that time?  If chips were ready, why did they sit for 4 weeks?

I don't know what you are trying to say.  That they WEREN'T in customs?  I'm not sure how your picture of Chips destined for Hong Kong proves they weren't in customs...

Because from the time they were posted in the BTCman forum (where they originated in a thread) they apparently originated from a disenchanted Bitsyncom member of their design team, Gridchip, who was insinuating they had already taken delivery of all these chips before he left, or he was in possession of them.
You need to find someone who speaks Chinese.

Last links in English, click that it states there was a split in Bitsyncom;

Basically,this team designed chips(110nm) for Avalon.

And for some unknown reason,they are looking for some new partner/investor.(40nm)
And,we don't know what happened inside Avalon.
To summarize what you and johnyj have said:
(1) Key members of the Avalon design team are now independent of Avalon;
(2) This new design team is proposing the development of a 40nm chip;
(3) The team is seeking investment - as in capital, as opposed to crowd source or pre-sales.

IS THIS CORRECT?
Where you assumed that they seek investment or new partner? Also, where is evident that they bitsysncom asic team has split inside?
Maybe this has something to do with btc address for chip purchases? Yifu said that who claim that they own that btc address.
This is why is asked for clarification.  As to my inferences:
(1) yuchuanzhen stated "Based on the author's words,may be some thing happened to the Avalon team.And,most like a big one."
(2) and (3), yuchuanzhen stated "And for some unknown reason,they are looking for some new partner/investor.(40nm)"

Again, this development is currently, in primary source, in Chinese.  I think everyone who is reporting it, in English, should be very careful to be very clear.  Presumptions themselves may not translate correctly, even if they are, themselves, correct.

EDIT: As above, Minor Miner may well be more capable in clearing this up if he speaks Chinese.

frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 12:36:41 AM

No they didn't what?

Yifu said they were held in customs since 2 weeks.  I take that to mean that there were 4 weeks between the end of the promised lead time and when the chips hit customs.  What happened during that time?  If chips were ready, why did they sit for 4 weeks?

I don't know what you are trying to say.  That they WEREN'T in customs?  I'm not sure how your picture of Chips destined for Hong Kong proves they weren't in customs...

Because from the time they were posted in the BTCman forum (where they originated in a thread) they apparently originated from a disenchanted Bitsyncom member of their design team, Gridchip, who was insinuating they had already taken delivery of all these chips before he left, or he was in possession of them.
You need to find someone who speaks Chinese.

Last links in English, click that it states there was a split in Bitsyncom;

Basically,this team designed chips(110nm) for Avalon.

And for some unknown reason,they are looking for some new partner/investor.(40nm)
And,we don't know what happened inside Avalon.
To summarize what you and johnyj have said:
(1) Key members of the Avalon design team are now independent of Avalon;
(2) This new design team is proposing the development of a 40nm chip;
(3) The team is seeking investment - as in capital, as opposed to crowd source or pre-sales.

IS THIS CORRECT?
Where you assumed that they seek investment or new partner? Also, where is evident that they bitsysncom asic team has split inside?
Maybe this has something to do with btc address for chip purchases? Yifu said that who claim that they own that btc address.
This is why is asked for clarification.  As to my inferences:
(1) yuchuanzhen stated "Based on the author's words,may be some thing happened to the Avalon team.And,most like a big one."
(2) and (3), yuchuanzhen stated "And for some unknown reason,they are looking for some new partner/investor.(40nm)"

Again, this development is currently, in primary source, in Chinese.  I think everyone who is reporting it, in English, should be very careful to be very clear.  Presumptions themselves may not translate correctly, even if they are, themselves, correct.

EDIT: As above, Minor Miner may well be more capable in clearing this up if he speaks Chinese.

wow you're on like everything I seem to read mr bitcoinarama....I came on to ask the OP:  what do you possibly do for a family weekend getaway on only 200 bucks???  I did the math that is like 2 days of motel6 hotel room at 60 usd per night with a remaining 80 dollars to split up between meals and Travel - It would only work for like me and a 2nd person if we went out to each, stayed at a hotel one night and didnt road trip it farther than a half tank of gas.  Even if you bag a hybrid that only costs you 30 USD for a full tank, that is still like 50 bucks to split on 6 meals (12 if you have a partner/spouse) that you need to split 50 dollars on.  That sounds like a really shitty weekend getaway - please hook me up with knowledge to prove otherwise.

Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:37:57 AM

Do yourself a favor and make your own decision.   Zoom in on the picture.    Track the shipment to HK.    Decide for yourself if you think it made it to HK.    Remember, to get on the ship/plane/train/truck etc. that is LEAVING china, you first MUST clear chinese customs....
Fun fact for you, there were no cargo plane crashes in that time period.

bigbeninlondon (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:39:32 AM

wow you're on like everything I seem to read mr bitcoinarama....I came on to ask the OP:  what do you possibly do for a family weekend getaway on only 200 bucks???  I did the math that is like 2 days of motel6 hotel room at 60 usd per night with a remaining 80 dollars to split up between meals and Travel - It would only work for like me and a 2nd person if we went out to each, stayed at a hotel one night and didnt road trip it farther than a half tank of gas.  Even if you bag a hybrid that only costs you 30 USD for a full tank, that is still like 50 bucks to split on 6 meals (12 if you have a partner/spouse) that you need to split 50 dollars on.  That sounds like a really shitty weekend getaway - please hook me up with knowledge to prove otherwise.

I have multiple chips and multiple assemblies on the line here.  It's more significant than $200.  

Edit: I didn't mean to imply $200 when I said "a couple hundred".  Sorry for the confusion.  I meant more than a few but not a lot.  A couple usually does imply 2 but not every time.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:47:35 AM

Here.   Even put it on the english side of yangtze river express' site for you.
http://www.track-shipments.com/track-trace.aspx?pref=AWB&awbno=87150508076
Shipment of 135 boxes left pudong (clear Chinese customs), flight flew and arrived in HK.
Then it would have been cleared into HK and trucked to the Uni Glory Logistics warehouse.   Where it went from there?   Your chips in those 1,000,000 + chips?   Who knows?   This was over 7 weeks ago.   You still wonder why the network grew more than the 60TH that was batch III miners?

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 12:53:26 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2013, 01:50:19 AM by Bitcoinorama

Here.   Even put it on the english side of yangtze river express' site for you.
http://www.track-shipments.com/track-trace.aspx?pref=AWB&awbno=87150508076
Shipment of 135 boxes left pudong (clear Chinese customs), flight flew and arrived in HK.
Then it would have been cleared into HK and trucked to the Uni Glory Logistics warehouse.   Where it went from there?   Your chips in those 1,000,000 + chips?   Who knows?   This was over 7 weeks ago.   You still wonder why the network grew more than the 60TH that was batch III miners?

Minor, have you read that BTCman forum thread. Can you summarise what's said there?

This is the tracking for those Avalon 2.1 million chips received at the end of June.

That's a 853Kg pallet of chips from TSMC to Bitsyncom in June folks! Shocked;

From Pudong Airport - PVG / ZSPD - Shanghai, China, to Hong Kong Airport - HKG / VHHH - Hong Kong, China

8 Weeks ago.

ScaryHash

Activity: 529
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:43:58 AM

It's pretty obvious what happened.

Avalon does not want or does not think it needs to hire a customer service expert to deal with refunds/questions/exchanges.

They underestimated what it would take to ship Batch 1, 2 AND 3.

They underestimated how long the batches would take to build AND ship.

They underestimated their business security needs. This story kept popped up again in June at the Bitcoin conference, and it popped up again recently with the alleged "delay" of the chips.

They underestimated the bureaucratic necessities of shipping a large quantity of goods, dealing with customs in multiple locations.

It's pretty clear now, with all due respect to Avalon, that they seriously underestimated what it would actually take to RUN a company in the modern world, even though they are smart guys.

You guys really need to get a savvy, knowledgeable, worldly business manager AND a security consultant who knows WTF he's doing. You need professional business help, seriously speaking.

So far, the only thing you've done is make a great product. There are lots of companies that have done that, and FAILED MISERABLY. Get some professional help, please.

Being a nOOb is all nice and fun and enjoyable, until being a nOOb gets in the way of what it is that you're trying to accomplish. This isn't an MMO at level 3 anymore.

Adelex

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 02:56:49 AM

It's pretty obvious what happened.

Avalon does not want or does not think it needs to hire a customer service expert to deal with refunds/questions/exchanges.

They underestimated what it would take to ship Batch 1, 2 AND 3.

They underestimated how long the batches would take to build AND ship.

They underestimated their business security needs. This story kept popped up again in June at the Bitcoin conference, and it popped up again recently with the alleged "delay" of the chips.

They underestimated the bureaucratic necessities of shipping a large quantity of goods, dealing with customs in multiple locations.

It's pretty clear now, with all due respect to Avalon, that they seriously underestimated what it would actually take to RUN a company in the modern world, even though they are smart guys.

You guys really need to get a savvy, knowledgeable, worldly business manager AND a security consultant who knows WTF he's doing. You need professional business help, seriously speaking.

So far, the only thing you've done is make a great product. There are lots of companies that have done that, and FAILED MISERABLY. Get some professional help, please.

My thoughts as well.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:14:29 AM

Solution.

Do not buy Avalon products in future.
Demand whereabouts of your 10K lots of chips.
Demand refunds for breach of delivery.
Compile evidence and start legal proceedings by putting Avalon on notice for breach of the terms and conditions for delivery.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 03:18:09 AM

There were never 2.1 million chips photographed at one time, that would be 210 boxes. And it would be something like 700Gh/s, well over the current total network strength, so its not even possible for that many chips to be in use.

Even if they manufactured 1 million chips as they've said, most of them are likely not in use at the moment at all.

jimrome

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:20:34 AM

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:25:18 AM

There were never 2.1 million chips photographed at one time, that would be 210 boxes. And it would be something like 700Gh/s, well over the current total network strength, so its not even possible for that many chips to be in use.

Even if they manufactured 1 million chips as they've said, most of them are likely not in use at the moment at all.

Well all I can see there is 26 rows of 10 per tray.

260 chips a tray.

10 trays a small box.

2,600 chips per small box.

3 boxes per large box.

7,800 chips per large box.

I thought someone stated there were 2.1 million in another thread. Also going in facts from anothe thread these would have been made week 24 at TSMC from the alphanumeric script printed in each chip.

Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 03:28:00 AM

Which would mean you'd need 270 boxes of chips to equal 2.1 million.  I've never seen a photograph of 270 boxes.

There may be other evidence that that many have been made, but there's never been a photograph of all of them in one place, as far as I know.

Someone posted a link showing tracking data on 135 boxes somewhere - that totals 1.05 million chips, about the same number that Yifu claims to have produced.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:30:47 AM

Which would mean you'd need 270 boxes of chips to equal 2.1 million.  I've never seen a photograph of 270 boxes.

There may be other evidence that that many have been made, but there's never been a photograph of all of them in one place, as far as I know.

Someone posted a link showing tracking data on 135 boxes somewhere - that totals 1.05 million chips, about the same number that Yifu claims to have produced.

Well it's clear you need that BTCman forum thread translated.

Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 03:34:13 AM

Well it's clear you need that BTCman forum thread translated.

Either there's a photo of 270 boxes of chips, or there isn't. if there's no photo, you can't say "2.1 million chips have been photographed".  The fact that someone posts something on a forum doesn't make it true.

Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:35:31 AM

The above post with the tracking shows 135 boxes.   Even 1mm chips would be hard for one group to roll out.    power (heat) density problems would be very hard to get solved.   but they have had 7 weeks to work on it, so just wait.   it will come

bystander

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:55:53 AM

Phillip Archer describes it in his article in The Genesis Block:
http://thegenesisblock.com/latest-shipment-of-avalon-asics-could-increase-network-hashrate-by-500/

Each of the large shipping boxes contains 6 smaller boxes that hold 10 trays of ASIC chips. Given that each chip has a standard clock speed of 282 MH/s, with 260 chips per tray the 10 large boxes in the photographs contain over 105 TH/s. There is evidence that chips can clock to over 450 MH/s, so using an estimate of 400 MH/s to leave some margin would result in 150 TH/s for the 24 boxes. Given that the current network speed is 225 TH/s, these chips coming online would constitute a 40% increase over current hashing power, more than the entire network speed at the end of May.

1 large box in the photos = 6 smaller boxes x 10 trays x 260 chips  or 15,600 chips
135 x 15,600 chips = 2.106 million chips

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 04:04:34 AM

BitSyncom is sipping crown and seven at some swanky club in New York, whilst trying to seduce a hot blonde with curves in all the right places. Oh look, he just checked his smart phone to see if the millions of Bitcoins he made from screwing us are still there... yep they are! Phew!

(AKA. he doesn't give a shit about you.)
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2013, 04:32:30 AM

Phillip Archer describes it in his article in The Genesis Block:
http://thegenesisblock.com/latest-shipment-of-avalon-asics-could-increase-network-hashrate-by-500/

Each of the large shipping boxes contains 6 smaller boxes that hold 10 trays of ASIC chips. Given that each chip has a standard clock speed of 282 MH/s, with 260 chips per tray the 10 large boxes in the photographs contain over 105 TH/s. There is evidence that chips can clock to over 450 MH/s, so using an estimate of 400 MH/s to leave some margin would result in 150 TH/s for the 24 boxes. Given that the current network speed is 225 TH/s, these chips coming online would constitute a 40% increase over current hashing power, more than the entire network speed at the end of May.

1 large box in the photos = 6 smaller boxes x 10 trays x 260 chips  or 15,600 chips
135 x 15,600 chips = 2.106 million chips

Well, the photos only shows 3 internal boxes (and only 16 large boxes total, but each box has n/24).  If it's 3 internal boxes (which is what we can see) then 135 boxes = 1.05 million chips ~= 350TH/s, which is what Yifu claims to have sold, and about equal to 100% of the current network (and 50% when they're put into use)

On the other hand, if it is 2.1 million then the "mystery" million chips out there couldn't be in use yet unless no one else were mining.

If you look at the address that the orders went too, it comes out to enough to pay for 100 orders.  Again consistent with 1 million chips being made.

All the available evidence shows:
1) 1 million chips were made
2) 1 million chips were ordered
3) Most of those chips are not currently being used.

And the thing is - they don't even need to use the chips to make money.  If they have a lot of mining capacity, simply delaying the chips will make them money, since they can use their existing equipment to mine at 1/2 the what the difficulty would be if they'd shipped their chips.

bystander

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 04:51:11 AM

^True, what's visible in the photos is only smaller 3 boxes per large box.  Not sure where Phillip Archer got the info for 6 smaller internal boxes, unless the depth of the 3 boxes is shorter than perceived.   There's one photo of an open internal box which gives some clues, but it's inconclusive.  Agree on mining with half, it would not be necessary to mine with all to maximize profits given the increase to the network.

Set of photos from the orig post:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252233.msg2694806#msg2694806
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 04:55:32 AM

All anyone wants to know are answers to the following two questions.

WHERE ARE THE CHIPS RIGHT NOW?
WHEN WILL THE BE DELIVERED?

Anything else is just chaff.

Given there is no response to anyone who as asked these questions via support tickers, phone calls, emails and other means of communication how can anyone reasonably expect Avalon to fulfil their terms and conditions for shipping? The majority of what has been ordered is already late and in breach of the terms of the contract. Given there is no information regarding any of the orders people should be demanding refunds full stop, regardless of the shipping of 30 developer chips that are also VERY LATE and in breach of the terms and conditions that were offered up in these forums. Clearly there is very good legal grounds to go after any company that fails to deliver on time. Sadly Avalon is no better than BFL and the community thankfully has other options moving forward these companies really have nothing substantial to offer the community given their lack of customer service and failure to deliver products according to consumer protection laws.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
qnosh

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 05:39:10 AM

concern and mark!
yeemartin

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 07:52:35 AM

They use the chips to build their own miners. That is why you suckers are still waiting.
KS

Activity: 448

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 03:42:19 PM

(...)the community thankfully has other options moving forward(...)

BFL: 100 days
BitFury: ?

(depressing...)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: