Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:17:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How can you verify if a bitcoin is real?  (Read 1074 times)
Sobol101

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 02:17:16 PM

Hi All,

First post so please be gentle!. I'm trying to get familiar with crypto currency and understand 'how it works'. I've reached a block and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a particular point.

I understand the process of using public and private keys, back from the time when Phil Zimmermann created PGP. PGP allowed a user to encrypt a file, eg: an email/file (technically, just a bunch of ones and zeros) so that when the other user decrypted the file, they would see the words/file again. Or, to phrase it another way, the encryption was just a 'wrapper' for the content - ie, the words in my email or the file I sent.

Now, if someone sent me a bitcoin, how would I know what I was looking at? With an encrypted email, once decrypted I would be able to see something (text/file) and realise that I had actually received something. But, if someone sent me a bitcoin, what would I be looking at when I decrypted with my private key? A file filled with ones and zeros? Or maybe a simple text file with words inside saying, "Hey, this is 1 bitcoin!"

Can someone shed some light on what it I actually receive when I purchase a bitcoin and how I can verify that what I have 'in my hands', is actually a bitcoin and not just a bunch of ones and zeros? I understand that the blockchain is supposed to verify what is what but, what if I wanted to pass my bitcoin directly to you without the blockchain. Again, how would I know, what I received - was a bitcoin?

Thank you for your time and patience with my lack of understanding!

Regards,

Staffs Lebowski..

Bitcoin does not have fake, it is not like fiat money, if someone sends you bitcoin then it will show up in your wallet if the transaction is done right. You cannot just make bitcoin at will.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PHPSELLER

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 02:24:37 PM

Crypto moneys are not tangible assets. You can not hold it like paper money or coins. There is no concrete in the digital world.
There are no people who do not use credit cards in the world. You can not use the money on the credit card tangibly.
That's right! Cryptocurrencies cannot be touched because it's a digital money. People can hold it only in an online wallet or in hardware wallet. I don't know why the OP asks some question like that, bitcoin is a real as people can exchange it to real currencies without any problem with this exchange you can feel real cash in your hands. I am sure that bitcoin is real as a million of people around the world use it daily and make some purchases with it.
Ais08

Activity: 983
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 02:31:48 PM

If you ask, then all will answer that Bitcoin can not be seen but we can hold it even though this is only digital, and it is certainly just a number, let's just say we watch digital watches that are only digital and numerical figures, so if you want to investigate then please go ahead and everyone has different speculation ...
BountyX

Activity: 352

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 02:49:39 PM

It is difficult to give you a short synthetic answer if you are starting from zero. However, to make it simple, if you have installed a legit Bitcoin wallet, this will connect to the blockchain, which is a distributed ledger, shared by people who have Bitcoins, which exists exactly to check that every Bitcoin is real. For better explanations you can probably google Bitcoin.

joebrook

Activity: 644
Merit: 259

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 03:01:46 PM

Hi All,

First post so please be gentle!. I'm trying to get familiar with crypto currency and understand 'how it works'. I've reached a block and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a particular point.

I understand the process of using public and private keys, back from the time when Phil Zimmermann created PGP. PGP allowed a user to encrypt a file, eg: an email/file (technically, just a bunch of ones and zeros) so that when the other user decrypted the file, they would see the words/file again. Or, to phrase it another way, the encryption was just a 'wrapper' for the content - ie, the words in my email or the file I sent.

Now, if someone sent me a bitcoin, how would I know what I was looking at? With an encrypted email, once decrypted I would be able to see something (text/file) and realise that I had actually received something. But, if someone sent me a bitcoin, what would I be looking at when I decrypted with my private key? A file filled with ones and zeros? Or maybe a simple text file with words inside saying, "Hey, this is 1 bitcoin!"

Can someone shed some light on what it I actually receive when I purchase a bitcoin and how I can verify that what I have 'in my hands', is actually a bitcoin and not just a bunch of ones and zeros? I understand that the blockchain is supposed to verify what is what but, what if I wanted to pass my bitcoin directly to you without the blockchain. Again, how would I know, what I received - was a bitcoin?

Regards,

Staffs Lebowski..

Every transaction with bitcoins is stored in the blockchain ledger which will be there forever and it can never be manipulated by anyone ever. Which goes on to show that it is real.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
Skyonito

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 03:14:21 PM

throught some machine verification
Raven91

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 06:01:20 PM

How can we verify if bitcoin is real? Bitcoin is legalized and known in the whole world, as for my own experience i have known bitcoin and i have lots of benefits in bitcoin. Many people doubts bitcoin and they do not believe in bitcoin, also we cannot seize them because they are being careful in online world. Scams are unpredictable and we cannot prevent scam but we can prevent being scammed. So just search more infos for them to be okay.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2018, 06:06:08 PM

Go purchase a sandwich with it, eat the sandwich and then come back and tell me if it is real or not. BTC is real.

addeqt

Activity: 196
Merit: 30

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 06:17:27 PM

You can verify it thru the online ledger, you can visit blockchain and search your wallet address there. If you can't found a transaction telling receiving or received there could be two things. One, the transaction could be delayed. In this scenario you could then search the sender address, there should be listed the amount of bitcoin he or she is sending to you. Additionally, your address should be listed in there. The second scenario,  if both address don't have send or received. It is probably not been send at all. Just an advise, if you are buying or trading some to a bitcoin, better use an escrow. By that you are sure that both party will do its part.
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2018, 04:29:14 PM

If you have received Bitcoin in your wallet and if the transaction is confirmed more than 6 times then you don't have to worry about the authenticity of the Bitcoin. It is a real Bitcoin and there is no way to send a fake Bitcoin in your Bitcoin wallet. On the other hand, if you are using web wallet then you might fall for a phishing mail having content like '1 Bitcoin received' etc so in any case, look for the original wallet and check that there is a confirmed transaction associated with that wallet with the same value.
yvuj101

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 08:30:27 AM

Any transaction issued with Bitcoin cannot be reversed, they can only be refunded by the person receiving the funds. That means you should take care to do business with people and organizations you know and trust, or who have an established reputation.

I can verify it by handed the funds and can use for in exchange of my daily needs.
buahkudu

Activity: 170
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 08:35:27 AM

How can you verify whether the bitcoin is real?
can use bitcoin via email account sent by bitcoin team, and through send scan of ID card through bitcoin website along with photo pass

ansanstio376

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 20, 2018, 08:40:05 AM

Hi All,

Regards,

Staffs Lebowski..

I think bitcoin is real and true for his opinion because in searching the bitcoin we search for the existing projeck, and as long as we wait patiently we will get the result
Geor

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 03:19:48 PM

Hi All,

Regards,

Staffs Lebowski..

There is no such thing as fake bitcoin. It is not fiat currency which you can just create counterfeits at will, if you don't see your bitcoin in your wallet, then the person never sent it or it is still pending.
Ankhesenamun

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 29, 2018, 05:25:12 PM

Hi All,

Regards,

Staffs Lebowski..

Bitcoin does not have fake, it is not like fiat money, if someone sends you bitcoin then it will show up in your wallet if the transaction is done right. You cannot just make bitcoin at will.
semediu

Activity: 38

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 04:05:00 PM

Now bitcoin, is just a protocol, or "set of rules", which runs in blockchain. So you do not have to do anything to make sure that the bitcoin you have is real, because it's held in blockchain, and is the technology that ensures that the bitcoin transaction you just received is real.
hanapertiwi

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 06:37:48 PM

So you do not have to do anything to make sure that the bitcoin you have is real, because it's held in blockchain, and is the technology that ensures that the Bitcoin transaction you just received is real (that the tx is in the block added to the Blockchain, and all of which are verified by miners)
p i e c e

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 01:49:45 PM

bitcoin is real, it is exist on blocks. It is a data that stored on a blockchain if im not wrong.
every year the block is added (mined) for a certain amount. Bitcoin exist because it is everywhere.

Some people like to feel their investment like cash. But it is not possible in case of things like stocks. However, now there are bitcoin ATMs being installed in some countries and you can easily en-cash your bitcoins suing those ATMs. Once you have used such an ATM, you will realize that bitcoins are real.

By the way, this is a very cool idea. ATM check is something that is worth your attention. However, one very small problem still exists: these ATM machines for the cryptocurrency are not available everywhere.
chinchinbb78

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 02:31:21 PM

Well every thing  no assurance  but you can only verify if the bitcoin is real when there is no fee when everything is free from registration down to the opportunities.. people work hard to earn money so in this site, company can see it to make it legitimate  or making it real . but always take an extra caution in any site for our protections if this site wont work well we can look for another site that has verification currency that can be exchange .
mmo_online_1981

Activity: 798
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 02:41:25 PM

Bitcoin is real and unreal, expressed in quantity through a Blockchain that is conventionally right, its value depends on the trust, the trend and the investor.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: