Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:49:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you think changing "Escrow Provider Rating Grade" is necessary in order to get more realistic and accurate grades?
NO: It's doing good as it is now. - 6 (40%)
YES: you should consider trust based on Escrow service feedback only. - 4 (26.7%)
YES: you should consider reducing some points from "Trust Selfscratchers". - 1 (6.7%)
YES: you should remove all "Escrow Provider Rating Grade" metrics. Only names on List shall remain, no ranking at all. - 3 (20%)
YES: you should implement other suggestion(s) (please comment and share your opinion with us)... - 1 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ₿ LIST ₿ Bitcointalk's ESCROW providers: Ranking & Blacklist ☠ Avoid Scam ☠  (Read 43550 times)
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:36:22 AM

I am going to get back into doing escrows for a bit. Here is my kinda old service thread.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=105282.0

Are ANY of the listed escrow agents actually escrow agents?  I bet not a one of them is legit.

By way of example:

In the terminology of the escrow industry, all escrow agents performing escrow services in California are either “licensed” or “controlled” escrow companies.  A "licensed" escrow company, which is also known as an “independent” escrow company, is licensed by the Department of Corporations.  This license can only be obtained after the escrow company has met and satisfied all of the licensing requirements set forth by the Escrow Law, which are enforced by the Department of Corporations.

http://www.corp.ca.gov/Laws/Escrow_Law/Consumer.asp

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:57:38 AM

@viceroy California or USA =/= World. 
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 01:17:10 AM

I talked to a family friend who is a lawyer in MD, and they told me as long as you are doing less than $50,000 in *escrow deals per year, you don't fall under MSB status that requires a money transmitter license, nor do you have to strictly follow AML laws. However, they told me if I wanted to be safe, to record any transactions above $10k and if I had suspicion that it was being used illicitly, I had an obligation to report it to some AML organization. ($10,000 transactions for neopets codes or something fishy like that, not for mining hardware)

However, I haven't done escrows that large in a while, so I haven't needed to record anything of the sort. Also, that being said, thats in Maryland, not sure how it applies elsewhere.

* She cited Bitcoin escrow as being similar to situations where a friend buys a car from another friend, and will have a mutual friend hold the money for an agreed upon amount of time, to make sure that they have assurance that the car wont fall apart due to an undisclosed issue. There are of course lawsuits available in that senario, however informal escrow is not uncommon. That is if you consider Bitcoin applicable to fiat laws, which assuming so is probably the safest way to stay out of trouble.

I think things change if you charge for your escrow service, depending on location, however if you do escrow for tips, you should be alright, again depending on location. Probably not a bad idea to talk to a lawyer or someone who can give you advice on how to keep yourself legal.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:27:29 AM

Yeah, I have mandatory tips. Or non-optional tips. Or something like that.

You can also call us the "middle-men" if you don't like calling us "escrows".

If bitcoin is following fiat laws, then it must be considered currency. Which is good for bitcoin. Especially if the US government decides that. However, how about the rest of the world?

Financisto (OP)

Activity: 630
Merit: 767

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 04:41:03 AM
Last edit: December 28, 2013, 04:56:31 AM by Financisto

If bitcoin is following fiat laws, then it must be considered currency. Which is good for bitcoin. Especially if the US government decides that. However, how about the rest of the world?
I agree!

By this time, while bitcoin is not recognised as a currency yet (by majors governments), I think we'll leave it that way: escrow.

"Middle-men" reminds me of "man-in-the-middle" (attack). And that's so bad.

BTW, besides some people might think differently, the world is a little wider than the US...

BitcoinTalk's ESCROW Providers: Ranking & BlacklistCompilation of (open-source) BRAINWALLET projectsBTC ⇆⚡⇄ BTCBTC aka BTC: 16MBvhaJoRBxW3Vk6apnvz3UYT9HAgraVS ⚡ PGP: 2680207AA9A1B69FE7A033D80DE0F221074384C4 ⚡ If you think freedom matters, please support the development of these privacy projects→DONATE some sats: TailsQubes OSWhonixVeraCryptPicocryptKryptorSimpleX Chat
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 04:46:31 AM

I completely agree that going by fiat law isn't correct for Bitcoin, but as we have seen as recently as Mike (Casascius) getting shut down, the U.S Gov is willing to overlook and imply a few things in order to be a pain in the ass. Abiding by fiat laws is partially unnecessary, however if its not a huge inconvience, its the safest way to operate without having someone knocking at your door. And if they do, you can at least say you were trying to do things legally. (That all assuming you are in the U.S)
Financisto (OP)

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 04:59:31 AM

I completely agree that going by fiat law isn't correct for Bitcoin, but as we have seen as recently as Mike (Casascius) getting shut down, the U.S Gov is willing to overlook and imply a few things in order to be a pain in the ass. Abiding by fiat laws is partially unnecessary, however if its not a huge inconvience, its the safest way to operate without having someone knocking at your door. And if they do, you can at least say you were trying to do things legally. (That all assuming you are in the U.S)
If that word (escrow) "attracts" such "regulatory problems" for you, maybe we can adopt the word Custodian.

What do you guys think about it?

BitcoinTalk's ESCROW Providers: Ranking & BlacklistCompilation of (open-source) BRAINWALLET projectsBTC ⇆⚡⇄ BTCBTC aka BTC: 16MBvhaJoRBxW3Vk6apnvz3UYT9HAgraVS ⚡ PGP: 2680207AA9A1B69FE7A033D80DE0F221074384C4 ⚡ If you think freedom matters, please support the development of these privacy projects→DONATE some sats: TailsQubes OSWhonixVeraCryptPicocryptKryptorSimpleX Chat
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 01:40:12 AM

Custodian, care taker, handler, "I know a guy."

The generic name is Trusted Third Party.

So we could go by: Trusted Third Party Bitcoin and Crypto Custodian.

My biggest has been 47 or 42 BTC, so not quite yet at the US limit. Then again, I could go by Weex exchange rate (or whoever is lowest). I mean, a bitcoin is only worth what someone will pay for it. It's ALWAYS less than you think.

Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 02:19:25 AM

On the other hand, take a look at the scuba ddiving industry. None of the certificate cards, such as PADI, NAUI, IANTD, GUE, etc are government departments or agencies. They are all just private entities or associations or groups or explorers. Yet they tend to call their c-cards as licenses. There is also no government requirement or regulation about accepting or preventing experienced or new divers from renting or using equipment.

In other words, they are self regulating.

Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 04:47:55 AM

"I know a guy". rofl.

yea the word "escrow" is a "reserved" word all around America. 
* Viceroy scoffs at the notion that America != the world

Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:41:06 AM

I know a guy = I saw it in a recent movie starring Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg, Two Guns.

Financisto (OP)

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 01:49:36 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2017, 05:31:10 AM by Financisto

I guess I'll leave the name the way it is: "escrow service". At least untill bitcoin starts getting some serious attention from governments and regulators worldwide.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 11:55:33 AM

I will be accepting Litecoin escrow transactions starting on Monday. (still familiarizing myself with the LTC client and studying LTC in general)
Financisto (OP)

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 06:46:47 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2017, 05:58:54 AM by Financisto

Gentlemen,

The list has been updated!

New criterions and score types added:

OTC#: is the member "total rating" at #bitcoin-oc web of trust data.

Reason - a long time OTC trader that did lots of deals tends to be more trustworthy.

P.s. member must send a GPG signed personal message mentioning the link to his rating page at bitcoin-otc.com in order to be verified for this criterion.

LB#: is the member score at LocalBitcoins.com.

The score will be calculated as:

Code:
Feedback score * Number of confirmed trades

Reason - a long time P2P trader that did lots of deals tends to be more trustworthy.

P.s. member must send a GPG signed personal message mentioning the link to his account profile page at localbitcoins.com in order to be verified for this criterion. Additional info: member must add his GPG fingerprint/key id as an additional profile info at localbitcoins.com in order to be verified.

New member added: Mr. gweedo

A new Warning: member The Koolio has been suspended from the list.

More to come...

Financisto (OP)

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 07:10:44 AM

Just mention at your announcement thread that you have it and may use it if asked so.

You can also add the key ID to your signature or even sign what is written at the announcement thread.

Take a look at other's example...  Smiley

Financisto (OP)

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 01:38:06 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2017, 05:59:26 AM by Financisto

List updated (and scores upgraded)!

UPDATE #2 of year 2014.

Keep up the good work everybody!

Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 05:39:17 AM

Oh no, I'm in 8th place now. hehe.

Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 08:50:33 PM

Please consider me for the list in the OP. I've been doing escrow jobs under the radar for some time now and think I have a pretty good feel for it Smiley

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
techgeek

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:34:49 AM

List updated (and scores upgraded)!

UPDATE #2 of year 2014.

Keep up the good work everybody!

つづく

Thanks for updating this still. It helps people like myself who are debating who to go with, since theres just so many escrow service providers that claim to do escrow.

Financisto (OP)

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 02:05:45 AM

Please consider me for the list in the OP. I've been doing escrow jobs under the radar for some time now and think I have a pretty good feel for it Smiley
As I've said before, I could not find the announcement thread to your escrow service.

As mentioned above:

Only members with announcements threads / sites will be listed.

I'll update the list when there is one.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: