Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:04:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain just announced the AntMiner A3 - 815GH/s Siacoin miner - Blake(2b)  (Read 12712 times)
btcapollo

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 06:39:40 PM

Announcement from Sia team :

Bitmain has announced ASICs for Sia, shipping in 7 days. 1275w, 815 GH/s, ~$3200 USD. They are more expensive and less efficient than the Obelisk SC1, but they ship several months sooner (7 days as opposed to several months).

Bitmain has a long history of being abusive towards coin communities, their customers, and towards coin developers.We prepared for something like this by adding an extra feature to the SC1. We can do a soft-fork that slightly changes the PoW algorithm which would invalidate the bitmain ASICs, but allow the SC1 units to continue working. In the event of an attack from Bitmain, we can activate this soft fork. At this time, I do not think it is necessary, but if they start mining empty blocks or otherwise prove problematic for the network, we have recourse that does not involve destroying the usefulness of the SC1 units. This fork would of course require community adoption, it's not something the devs could decide to activate on their own. It would be a UASF, because the majority hashrate would not be standing behind the soft fork.

Overall, I do not think we have much to worry about. Hopefully (and very likely), this soft-fork will never be necessary. But I wanted to remind everyone (including Bitmain) that, at the end of the day, it is the community that has control, not the miners. If ASIC manufacturers act in a way that is harmful to the network, we have recourse.
Has batch 1 been released? Does this manufacturer have a history?

This is a very interesting plan from the Sia team. Seems like governance will be the important topic for 2018.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BenRickert

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 06:52:30 PM

Bitmain has announced ASICs for Sia, shipping in 7 days. 1275w, 815 GH/s, ~$3200 USD. They are more expensive and less efficient than the Obelisk SC1, but they ship several months sooner (7 days as opposed to several months).

Bitmain has a long history of being abusive towards coin communities, their customers, and towards coin developers.We prepared for something like this by adding an extra feature to the SC1. We can do a soft-fork that slightly changes the PoW algorithm which would invalidate the bitmain ASICs, but allow the SC1 units to continue working. In the event of an attack from Bitmain, we can activate this soft fork. At this time, I do not think it is necessary, but if they start mining empty blocks or otherwise prove problematic for the network, we have recourse that does not involve destroying the usefulness of the SC1 units. This fork would of course require community adoption, it's not something the devs could decide to activate on their own. It would be a UASF, because the majority hashrate would not be standing behind the soft fork.

Overall, I do not think we have much to worry about. Hopefully (and very likely), this soft-fork will never be necessary. But I wanted to remind everyone (including Bitmain) that, at the end of the day, it is the community that has control, not the miners. If ASIC manufacturers act in a way that is harmful to the network, we have recourse.
Just chest thumping. That would be suicide to Fork in response. They could lose most of, if not all miner support. Bitmain could just re-flash the firmware to respond? Initiating the fork could actually give control to the ASIC's miners, of the entire surviving coin. I suspect Bitmain would like this attempt. Bitmain are some cagey cats man. They know what they are doing.

You only live once....if you do it right, once is enough.

Excellent FAQ for Lightning Network https://medium.com/@AudunGulbrands1/lightning-faq-67bd2b957d70
BenRickert

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 06:56:37 PM

I am a sia gpu miner. When will these miners arrive? I will stop mining sia because of the dif increase, but would like to know when to stop
Reported 10 "business days from today". Or two weeks from today. We'll see if they can meet the deadline. I suspect they will be close. They are on a mission. " Seek and destroy".

You only live once....if you do it right, once is enough.

Excellent FAQ for Lightning Network https://medium.com/@AudunGulbrands1/lightning-faq-67bd2b957d70
csgura

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 08:18:58 PM

Guys,
What is good ASIC mining pool for A3?
sil2222

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 08:27:47 PM

Guys I have 4 Bitamin coupons $125 each selling for $50 per coupon. Prefer LTc for payment. Pm me if interested.
Dlikrot

Activity: 228
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 09:10:16 PM

Payment only in crypto bullshit move again

To btc or not to btc - that is the electrum
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 09:13:53 PM

Just chest thumping. That would be suicide to Fork in response. They could lose most of, if not all miner support. Bitmain could just re-flash the firmware to respond? Initiating the fork could actually give control to the ASIC's miners, of the entire surviving coin. I suspect Bitmain would like this attempt. Bitmain are some cagey cats man. They know what they are doing.

Its especially ironic considering last year Sia was waxing poetic about how great ASICs will be for the network and how they are so much better for security than GPU mining.  I guess that only applies when they are profiting off of the ASICs?  This seems like a giant strawman argument.  What the hell do they mean by "an attack by bitmain?"  And why would the A3 mine empty blocks.  I bought an A3 but I would almost like to see them go through with this soft fork idea to watch their coin implode.  I  don't know how they would implement it seeing as the people providing 100% of the hashrate will be owners of the A3.  

Another piece of irony:  Obelisk bagholders are on here bitching about Bitmain selling 6000 of these units (which I don't think there is any way to verify this) but they seem to conveniently forget that Obelisk was trying to sell 10,000 in their pre-sale!  The actual number came in under 2000 though since most people don't want to tie up $2500 worth of bitcoin for a year.  What Obelisk should have honestly done is create a Kickstarter.  Would have went out to a larger audience and there would be less expectations.

Sia explaining how awesome ASICs are:  https://blog.sia.tech/choosing-asics-for-sia-b318505b5b51
CryptoCrane (OP)

Activity: 384
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2018, 09:56:44 PM

Its especially ironic considering last year Sia was waxing poetic about how great ASICs will be for the network and how they are so much better for security than GPU mining.  I guess that only applies when they are profiting off of the ASICs?  This seems like a giant strawman argument.  What the hell do they mean by "an attack by bitmain?"  And why would the A3 mine empty blocks.  I bought an A3 but I would almost like to see them go through with this soft fork idea to watch their coin implode.  I  don't know how they would implement it seeing as the people providing 100% of the hashrate will be owners of the A3.  

Another piece of irony:  Obelisk bagholders are on here bitching about Bitmain selling 6000 of these units (which I don't think there is any way to verify this) but they seem to conveniently forget that Obelisk was trying to sell 10,000 in their pre-sale!  The actual number came in under 2000 though since most people don't want to tie up $2500 worth of bitcoin for a year.  What Obelisk should have honestly done is create a Kickstarter.  Would have went out to a larger audience and there would be less expectations.

Sia explaining how awesome ASICs are:  https://blog.sia.tech/choosing-asics-for-sia-b318505b5b51

Yeah, I feel like Obelisk would definitely be shooting themselves in the foot if they tried to pull that stunt. They can't have it both ways.

-DarkByDesign-

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 12:31:03 AM

Are there going to be more sold or?
evilfatone

Activity: 41
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 12:34:30 AM

Will the introduction of all of these miners and coins dilute the market and devalue the coin?

what makes u think it will devalue the coin? look what happened with l3+ lightcoin went up x5 in value when hashrate rocketed, with d3 dash rocketed in price with hashrate increase, a good rule of thumb is cash follows hash, so i won't be buying one of these miners but i will be buying up some sia to sit on for 6 months, who knows it could do a hefty 3x - 5x once all this hash rate hits
dndssc

Activity: 266
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 12:41:39 AM

Siacoin team should be happy that bitmain make a big investment on siacoin miner, the price of siacoin will rise! I don't undestand this threats!
Sorry for the obelisk team, but I think that all obelisk miner will be sold anyway (the price is an half than bitmain a3 antminer)

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 12:45:41 AM

the Sia miners are MADE to support the Sia network of asic's for cheap anon storage at $1 to $10 amazon cloud pricing...thus forking the coin is no big deal in that the sia tech

folk see the coin as a means to run this safe asic network for the above

thus, forking the coin (right or wrong) will be no big deal to them, IF they come thru with the real deal anon and decentralized 10c on the $1 vs Amazon cloud storage that is

uncrackable and decentralized in scope

not saying it is the correct path but yeah...they'll fork it in a heartbeat and/or just make their own coin for the purpose again....they have often warned siacoin price is

speculation and they are not interested in that part at all....

we will see

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
CryptoCrane (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2018, 02:18:16 AM

I really hope these are more reliable than the AntMiner D3 was.

CryptoCrane (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2018, 03:07:14 AM

Looks like they're in-stock again!

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 03:35:17 AM

IF they were ..they are gone now Smiley (not interested...but watching)

3 min from your post above ..that has to be a record IF it was not a glitch and a couple unpaid units that pop'd back up

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
sil2222

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 03:42:47 AM

Halong Mining‏ @HalongMining

Halong Mining Retweeted Francis Pouliot

Worried about decentralisation of SIA and other blake2b coins? We have a miner coming for blake2b: 3.5TH for 1000W with 135 chips, coming very soon. #DragonMint

This is going to be a real Shat show.
CryptoCrane (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2018, 03:44:07 AM

3 min from your post above ..that has to be a record IF it was not a glitch and a couple unpaid units that pop'd back up

Just received the following email from Bitmain too:

We've just re-opened the same Antminer A3 batch!

To avoid hoarding by resellers and to ensure more users in different time zones can purchase an Antminer A3 unit, we will be re-opening the same batch after every hour beginning 11AM (18 Jan, GMT+8).

Thus, you may intermittently notice that the batch is out of stock. We will announce on our Facebook and Twitter accounts as soon as the batch is completely out of stock.

Regards,

The Bitmain team

R0mi

Activity: 305
Merit: 148

Theranos Coin - IoT + micro-blood arrays = Moon!

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 04:03:43 AM

It was no glitch, they were available.  They made some announcement about re-opening sales on the hour to defeat resellers from hoarding the units.

Walton Chain CEO Mo' Bling: "Walton Chain will be the Qualcomm + Cisco in the blockchain industry, the ‘Google’ of the Blockchain."  It's December 1999, do you know how your shitcoin holdings are doing?  Magic 8 ball market analysis: www.doiownashitcoin.com
welchy8764

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 05:53:04 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2018, 06:19:29 AM by welchy8764

Check at top of every hour.. Grin. Looks like right on top of hour and  only open for a few minutes..
joae1975

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:45:27 AM

Everyone was all worried when btc asics hit the market and look at it now.  It can only create more competition and make it stronger.  It's a compliment to SC that this is happening.

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: