Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:44:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain just announced the AntMiner A3 - 815GH/s Siacoin miner - Blake(2b)  (Read 12709 times)
BenRickert

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 11:08:20 PM

Can someone tell me if we can run these in a aprtment in the US? I believe we have 125 V 15 A breakers. But the APW++ PSU on bitmain site says that 110 V will only provide 1200 W ourput. Are we SOL? Will the bathroom or kitchen special outlets do any help?

You'll be able to power a single A3 on one of those circuits, but I wouldn't use a single APW3++. I'd go for the EVGA SuperNova 1600 G2 instead. We have a ton of customers who attempted to run the S9 with an APW3++ over 120v circuits and would often experience hashing boards that would just disappear until the next reboot. Moving to 220v circuits almost always fixes the issue permanently. The point is that the APW3++ will still attempt to output the full amount needed by the miner, but the power will likely be less consistent and you'll also be increasing your fire hazard risk. If you insist on using the APW3++, then get 2 of them and run some hashing boards on one and the rest on the other.

That's weird. I've never experienced this issue with the S9 and the APW3++
They're not made to run 110v. Made for 220-240. Sometimes on 110v with AP3++ won't even power up.

You only live once....if you do it right, once is enough.

Excellent FAQ for Lightning Network https://medium.com/@AudunGulbrands1/lightning-faq-67bd2b957d70

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Darknicks

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 11:43:15 PM

Can someone tell me if we can run these in a aprtment in the US? I believe we have 125 V 15 A breakers. But the APW++ PSU on bitmain site says that 110 V will only provide 1200 W ourput. Are we SOL? Will the bathroom or kitchen special outlets do any help?

You'll be able to power a single A3 on one of those circuits, but I wouldn't use a single APW3++. I'd go for the EVGA SuperNova 1600 G2 instead. We have a ton of customers who attempted to run the S9 with an APW3++ over 120v circuits and would often experience hashing boards that would just disappear until the next reboot. Moving to 220v circuits almost always fixes the issue permanently. The point is that the APW3++ will still attempt to output the full amount needed by the miner, but the power will likely be less consistent and you'll also be increasing your fire hazard risk. If you insist on using the APW3++, then get 2 of them and run some hashing boards on one and the rest on the other.

They're not made to run 110v. Made for 220-240. Sometimes on 110v with AP3++ won't even power up.

Well I have a 13.5 TH (1323W) S9 on 110v with the APW3++ running with no issues at all.

https://i.imgur.com/16yimGX.png
alpha-miner

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 12:17:20 AM

Well I have a 13.5 TH (1323W) S9 on 110v with the APW3++ running with no issues at all.

I'm running an L3+ on 110v no problem as well. Albiet it's only 800watts. Trying to figure out how to run the A3 at 1200 watts. I'll probably take it to my office and put it in server room.
BenRickert

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 01:17:43 AM

Does anyone know what the few trusted forum members usually charge for their escrow fee?

Excellent FAQ for Lightning Network https://medium.com/@AudunGulbrands1/lightning-faq-67bd2b957d70
BenRickert

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 01:22:25 AM

Maybe I'm getting confused with the old power supply units. Oh well, glad it's working. As long as you have a 20 amp breaker it's not a burden on the breaker depending on what else your pulling through that breaker. You don't want to pull more than 1760 watts through a 20 amp breaker on a 110 circuit. At least I wouldn't. Helps to know what gauge wire they ran behind the walls to. The older the structure, the riskier this gets.

johnny_blaze

Activity: 58

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:07:28 AM

there are few photos posted already in Telegram by resellers:
https://imgur.com/a/NlBSa

seem like some units are already on hands....
jchi2210

Activity: 442
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:42:17 AM

Fedex is always the best option IMO when ordering from Bitmain. After they marked as shipped I'm pretty much guaranteed to receive the order within 2 days. All of my Fedex orders ship faster than the UPS orders and I'd also like to throw out that I've had 3 orders caught in a warehouse by UPS for over a week. I called UPS and they said that it was happening to THOUSANDS of orders from Bitmain, for some reason they would hold them in warehouse for weeks and then ship them. This is after Bitmain marks as shipped. I was able to get my hands on 2 of the A3's but I am debating about whether or not I want to sell them on eBay or if I want to mine with them. I've sold quite a few miners on eBay with no hassle, I've always put "AS is all warranty will be done through BITMAIN, no seller remorse no returns no refunds accepted" i'm just worried with this one though if someone could actually go through with it. Anyone had a buyer on eBay try to return something because they changed their mind? even though you state no returns or no refunds especially due to buyers remorse?

Halo Platform is one of the fastest Blockchains I've seen yet. They have FREE transactions. 250 Millisecond Block speeds. Smart contracts, Masternodes, blockchain games, and their own high speed DEX with BTC/ETH/USDC pairs. Similar to ETH, Waves, EOS, and more yet with only $1 million mcap. This video showcases the speed and reliability of the blockchain using the DEX, Masternodes (that will soon payout in BTC and ETH), blockchain games, and more! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g74d3ixX7E8&feature=youtu.be
Darknicks

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 04:30:31 AM

Maybe I'm getting confused with the old power supply units. Oh well, glad it's working. As long as you have a 20 amp breaker it's not a burden on the breaker depending on what else your pulling through that breaker. You don't want to pull more than 1760 watts through a 20 amp breaker on a 110 circuit. At least I wouldn't. Helps to know what gauge wire they ran behind the walls to. The older the structure, the riskier this gets.

Yeah, I think you're referring to the old Bitmain PSUs: APW3 and the APW3+ those needed 220v. 
In fact, according to CryptoCrane's video Bitmain's PSU consume less power and are more efficient than the EVGA PSU. And it's cheaper. Check the video here: https://youtu.be/sz-XZL77qqs?t=330

tl;dr  I'm pretty sure you'll be safe using the APW3++ and 110v with the A3
eth_mining

Activity: 95

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 04:37:02 AM

Fedex is always the best option IMO when ordering from Bitmain. After they marked as shipped I'm pretty much guaranteed to receive the order within 2 days. All of my Fedex orders ship faster than the UPS orders and I'd also like to throw out that I've had 3 orders caught in a warehouse by UPS for over a week. I called UPS and they said that it was happening to THOUSANDS of orders from Bitmain, for some reason they would hold them in warehouse for weeks and then ship them. This is after Bitmain marks as shipped. I was able to get my hands on 2 of the A3's but I am debating about whether or not I want to sell them on eBay or if I want to mine with them. I've sold quite a few miners on eBay with no hassle, I've always put "AS is all warranty will be done through BITMAIN, no seller remorse no returns no refunds accepted" i'm just worried with this one though if someone could actually go through with it. Anyone had a buyer on eBay try to return something because they changed their mind? even though you state no returns or no refunds especially due to buyers remorse?

I wish I knew this before. I read somewhere that UPS is "somewhat" safe with Bitmain for US customers since the shipping price is higher than Fedex and "some" customs fees are priced in and it "may" not get held in customs.. Sad

Ordered on 1/18 with UPS and no shipping notification yet...
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 04:50:38 AM

I wish I knew this before. I read somewhere that UPS is "somewhat" safe with Bitmain for US customers since the shipping price is higher than Fedex and "some" customs fees are priced in and it "may" not get held in customs.. Sad

Ive always got dhl orders in 3 days
eth_mining

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:05:24 AM

Ive always got dhl orders in 3 days

This is the post that made me use UPS and miss out on few days (who knows how many) of mining Sad

https://www.reddit.com/r/BITMAIN/comments/70y6vn/ups_shipping_time/
Darknicks

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:30:30 AM

Actually, if you check your listing, eBay is no longer offering their eBay Buyer Protection for mining hardware sales. Look below the price that it says:

Coverage:
Read item description or contact seller for details. See all details
(Not eligible for eBay purchase protection programs)

So apparently, buyers can't use the eBay protection anymore. However, I think they still can do it with PayPal and of course, they can also do a credit card chargeback. I only ship when the PayPal transaction details says that I'm elegible for the PayPal Seller protection and I always use UPS Adult Signature Confirmation + Direct Delivery to make sure that the buyer doesn't change the delivery address and the UPS driver has to ask for their ID before delivery. And of course, I always record a video of the miner hashing away for 5 minutes and showing the miner S/N. I don't usually share the video with the buyer unless they come out saying that the miner is defective or something. Also, make sure to ALWAYS declare the real item value with UPS or whatever carrier you're using and PAY for the insurance. Even if you have to pay $100 ~ $150 for shipping, it is always better that way because the courier will make sure to be careful with the package because they know they'll have to pay the entire value if things go south.
eth_mining

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:34:19 AM

Run it from your dryer outlet.  Can buy outlet plug converters and extension cords.  You'll just have to hang dry your clothes for a while but you can put them in the room with the miner cuz it'll be hot!!!

You know tho, if past experience is any indicator, it's always cheaper to just buy the coin instead of the miner.  Coins that have asics always go up in price too, dramatically.  So I'm just going to buy SC.  I bought jupiters back in '13 and had I just bought the btc, I would have made out 100x better.

I am still confused what converter to buy and where. Can you suggest what to buy? I initially thought the below should work

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Connectors-14-30P-Welder-adapter/dp/B06XGQ951H/

But it looks like it is a converter for welder adapter which wont suit for the power cable to power the APW3++?

This is how my dryer power slot looks

https://imgur.com/a/Eais0

ANd this is the power cable I was planning to buy

https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-03134-Universal-IEC320C13/dp/B00005113L/

The answers are out there but what I was planning to do is goto home depot and just taking that pic with me and asking them in the dryer dept.  Being honest, I'm trying to run another appliance, in another room, requiring this power.  You'll need to also buy a power cord.  The miner power supply does not come with a power cord.  You can buy a power cord that will fit whatever extension you find.  I don't have the answers at my fingertips because I stopped looking.  I didn't get one.  There's a facebook group that will be more than willing to help.  This dude on youtube is the real deal.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg8qb-blh8xGMYcBPC1ntvA
His facebook page is awesome! www.facebook.com%2Fgroups%2F604653876592512%2F

^I hope that link works, I quit facebook the other day.  His fb link is in his videos.

I was implying the same thing...modify a dryer plug, and don't run both at once.  Hang clothes lines cause this thing is gonna make some heat. Smiley
I'm thinking the APW3++ power supply has a terminal lug hookup.
Making a standard dryer plug work will be cheap and easy for this. $20 at Lowes/HD.

If the APW3++ has a plug interface it will be about $10 more and need some soldering work...

I am such a noob on these. Will you please post what item to buy in hd/lowes and how to set it up?

I am the op that posted pics and I am still clueless on how to use the dryer outlet..

I see on ebay the APW3 uses a standard "PC" plug.

Your best/safest bet is to find someone with electrical experience to make something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Outlet-220V-110V-Splitter-for-S9-L3-D3-S7-Antminer-Bitmain-Bitcoin-APW3-1200W/173081170837?hash=item284c711395:g:BtEAAOSwBRFaN0Pq
(don't be scared, there's only like $40 of parts in that thing.)

But have it made with 1 double or single outlet for a 220v plug.  

Then just get a 220v plug for it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BITMAIN-APW3-220v-Power-Cord-for-Antminer-L3-S7-or-S9-14AWG-3FT/273032967692?hash=item3f9208760c:g:pHgAAOSw301aYk-f

Pic 3 in the first link shows the different dryer cable types.  You'd have to check your outlet to see what you need.
If you do it that way, it should be up to code.

The cheaper option is to get the 2 cables, cut the ends off to get to the wires, solder the proper wires together and heavily insulate them.  I'm not sure of the phasing/naming of each wire but it should be available by searching the web.  This will only save you like $10 in parts, so I'd try to go the first way described.

Since you say you have little/no experience with electrical, I would definitely find someone in the know to do it.  I used to work with 8000V DC at work and still won't pull any 240V AC plug without wearing heavy gloves.

Thank you so much. The $150 part is scary on the first item you posted on ebay but if it would work, I will buy. The seller also wants a lot of time to assemble and ship. Also, he says that each outlet (out of the 4) is 110 V 20 A. If it's 110 V, wouldn't that negate what I am trying to do since APW3 needs 220V?

I went to Lowe's today and I am wondering if I can do the below?

Buy the below dryer power cord (to plug into my dryer power outlet)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-6-ft-4-Wire-Black-Dryer-Appliance-Power-Cord/3264993

And wire it with the below connector

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hubbell-20-Amp-250-Volt-Black-White-3-Wire-Grounding-Connector/3739253

Then use the below power cable to connect to the above connector and power the APW3

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BITMAIN-APW3-220v-Power-Cord-for-Antminer-L3-S7-or-S9-14AWG-3FT/273032967692?hash=item3f9208760c:g:pHgAAOSw301aYk-f#shpCntId

Will it work? Also, I am also not risking my life by not playing with the actual wall outlet right? lol
Shitcointalk

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:44:22 AM

Payment Date: 2018-01-17 15:35
Paid+Valid but Unshipped (with UPS)
Still waiting.

I got the tracking number of DHL, but the miner is still not picked from Bitmain. So, its almost nothing, NO ETAs till now.
I think FedEx is better, DHL not good and UPS really bad with Bitmain.  Angry

Mine is FedEx, it should reach me by Monday 22 8:00 GMT time.

You are lucky. Which country are you from ?

THAILAND. Just 4 hours from where they shipped.
So many people imported Bitmain ASIC in recent months. So, we should not have any problem with customs.

Hey, have you got your A3s yet ?

Ordered couple of miners last year from bitmain, and was far from simple dealing with Thai customs, as you have to register yourself as an importer, and register the company you are using for delivery. They also changed policy beginning of 2017 and they now charge 10% of total price, plus the 7% VAT. Hope you knew about that, because otherwise, you can forget your monday delivery. 

Also, I have had much better contact with Fedex, than UPS.

Anyway, please let me know how it went for you.
achtung082

Activity: 358
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 06:51:11 AM

I have UPS shipping to US, expected to arrive Wednesday.

No email update from bitmain, but the order is updated and my USP account shows "Ready for UPS".

Support sidehack projects: 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
My Sales Wallet BTC:bc1qxtxsc86lessnrsm52gf7qgmqle75htdr03zdd7 - LTC:LNLKyKkGNCJakZudGjc2qg26yYz7oeo92k - ETH:0xDf1b17872D9Ff22F04270BbDA13556B3E1649E27
willi9974
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 2655

Escrow Service

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 06:52:24 AM

Does anyone know what the few trusted forum members usually charge for their escrow fee?
I provide in germany in this forum a escrow service (please have a look in my trust)

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:20:26 AM

Run it from your dryer outlet.  Can buy outlet plug converters and extension cords.  You'll just have to hang dry your clothes for a while but you can put them in the room with the miner cuz it'll be hot!!!

You know tho, if past experience is any indicator, it's always cheaper to just buy the coin instead of the miner.  Coins that have asics always go up in price too, dramatically.  So I'm just going to buy SC.  I bought jupiters back in '13 and had I just bought the btc, I would have made out 100x better.

I am still confused what converter to buy and where. Can you suggest what to buy? I initially thought the below should work

But it looks like it is a converter for welder adapter which wont suit for the power cable to power the APW3++?

The answers are out there but what I was planning to do is goto home depot and just taking that pic with me and asking them in the dryer dept.  Being honest, I'm trying to run another appliance, in another room, requiring this power.  You'll need to also buy a power cord.  The miner power supply does not come with a power cord.  You can buy a power cord that will fit whatever extension you find.  I don't have the answers at my fingertips because I stopped looking.  I didn't get one.  There's a facebook group that will be more than willing to help.  This dude on youtube is the real deal.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg8qb-blh8xGMYcBPC1ntvA

^I hope that link works, I quit facebook the other day.  His fb link is in his videos.

I was implying the same thing...modify a dryer plug, and don't run both at once.  Hang clothes lines cause this thing is gonna make some heat. Smiley
Making a standard dryer plug work will be cheap and easy for this. $20 at Lowes/HD.

If the APW3++ has a plug interface it will be about $10 more and need some soldering work...

I am such a noob on these. Will you please post what item to buy in hd/lowes and how to set it up?

I am the op that posted pics and I am still clueless on how to use the dryer outlet..

Your best/safest bet is to find someone with electrical experience to make something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Outlet-220V-110V-Splitter-for-S9-L3-D3-S7-Antminer-Bitmain-Bitcoin-APW3-1200W/173081170837?hash=item284c711395:g:BtEAAOSwBRFaN0Pq

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BITMAIN-APW3-220v-Power-Cord-for-Antminer-L3-S7-or-S9-14AWG-3FT/273032967692?hash=item3f9208760c:g:pHgAAOSw301aYk-f

Pic 3 in the first link shows the different dryer cable types.  You'd have to check your outlet to see what you need.

The cheaper option is to get the 2 cables, cut the ends off to get to the wires, solder the proper wires together and heavily insulate them.  I'm not sure of the phasing/naming of each wire but it should be available by searching the web.  This will only save you like $10 in parts, so I'd try to go the first way described.

Since you say you have little/no experience with electrical, I would definitely find someone in the know to do it.  I used to work with 8000V DC at work and still won't pull any 240V AC plug without wearing heavy gloves.

I've put together some information on how to run a 240v circuit in the USA here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2772135.msg28578662#msg28578662

Still, best to use an electrician unless you know what you're doing. And, only in some places in certain situations are you allowed to do electrical work on your home without pulling a permit. In some instances, home owners are allowed to pull permits themselves. Doing things improperly may (probably does) void your home owner's insurance policy and/or make you liable for any damages.

denax

Activity: 46

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:34:41 AM

Could the A3 firmware be modified to mine Blake2s instead of Blake2b?  To mine Verge...

Exactly what I've been thinking about..
barracuda420

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 01:23:46 PM

Thank you so much. The $150 part is scary on the first item you posted on ebay but if it would work, I will buy. The seller also wants a lot of time to assemble and ship. Also, he says that each outlet (out of the 4) is 110 V 20 A. If it's 110 V, wouldn't that negate what I am trying to do since APW3 needs 220V?

I went to Lowe's today and I am wondering if I can do the below?

Buy the below dryer power cord (to plug into my dryer power outlet)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-6-ft-4-Wire-Black-Dryer-Appliance-Power-Cord/3264993

And wire it with the below connector

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hubbell-20-Amp-250-Volt-Black-White-3-Wire-Grounding-Connector/3739253

Then use the below power cable to connect to the above connector and power the APW3

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BITMAIN-APW3-220v-Power-Cord-for-Antminer-L3-S7-or-S9-14AWG-3FT/273032967692?hash=item3f9208760c:g:pHgAAOSw301aYk-f#shpCntId

Will it work? Also, I am also not risking my life by not playing with the actual wall outlet right? lol

I was just using that ebay item to show what you can do.  The seller should be able to make them with 220v outlets.

What you came up with should work but you need to be careful and make sure the connections are correct.  There are 4 wires on the dryer cable but only 3 on the adapter.  Dig around the net and you should be able to get it done.
LazyJones

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

I do electrical.

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:23:49 PM

Can hardly wait when I'm the last in line for one of these oh boy! Still no shipping info.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: