Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:01:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain just announced the AntMiner A3 - 815GH/s Siacoin miner - Blake(2b)  (Read 12712 times)
Kanit

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 12:39:35 AM

Payment Date: 2018-01-17 15:35
Paid+Valid but Unshipped (with UPS)
Still waiting.

I got the tracking number of DHL, but the miner is still not picked from Bitmain. So, its almost nothing, NO ETAs till now.
I think FedEx is better, DHL not good and UPS really bad with Bitmain.  Angry

Mine is FedEx, it should reach me by Monday 22 8:00 GMT time.

You are lucky. Which country are you from ?

THAILAND. Just 4 hours from where they shipped.
So many people imported Bitmain ASIC in recent months. So, we should not have any problem with customs.

Hey, have you got your A3s yet ?

Ordered couple of miners last year from bitmain, and was far from simple dealing with Thai customs, as you have to register yourself as an importer, and register the company you are using for delivery. They also changed policy beginning of 2017 and they now charge 10% of total price, plus the 7% VAT. Hope you knew about that, because otherwise, you can forget your monday delivery.  

Also, I have had much better contact with Fedex, than UPS.

Anyway, please let me know how it went for you.

Thank you for your concern, really appreciated. I got the machine last night, 6 hours later than expected (Due to FedEx just would like to confirm me a minor issue for product declaration). Thank you for your information. My trick is, I imported it under "company name". This company registered with the custom few months already  because I regularly bought 1-2 Bitmain ASIC  every month. The Customs will ease the process when you are company which will make it more convenient than individual. Of coz, FedEx is best speed comparing with UPS and DHL.

Now the machine run and I received around 440 SC / hour.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mettalmag
Legendary

Activity: 1084
Merit: 1003

≡v≡

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 12:52:31 AM

Still waiting.

I got the tracking number of DHL, but the miner is still not picked from Bitmain. So, its almost nothing, NO ETAs till now.

So many people imported Bitmain ASIC in recent months. So, we should not have any problem with customs.

Ordered couple of miners last year from bitmain, and was far from simple dealing with Thai customs, as you have to register yourself as an importer, and register the company you are using for delivery. They also changed policy beginning of 2017 and they now charge 10% of total price, plus the 7% VAT. Hope you knew about that, because otherwise, you can forget your monday delivery.  

Thank you for your concern, really appreciated. I got the machine last night, 6 hours later than expected (Due to FedEx just would like to confirm me a minor issue for product declaration). Thank you for your information. My trick is, I imported it under "company name". This company registered with the custom few months already  because I regularly bought 1-2 Bitmain ASIC  every month. The Customs will ease the process when you are company which will make it more convenient than individual. Of coz, FedEx is best speed comparing with UPS and DHL.

may I ask when was your order placed?
I ordered 17th and they shipped it today
eth_mining

Activity: 95

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 12:55:20 AM

Yes that looks correct / I prefer the splitter wire though  Tongue

and you probably want those wires to be as long as possible

Sorry not sure if I got that. What splitter wire are we talking about?
eth_mining

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 12:58:50 AM

I really dont want to play with the outlet on the wall. That is the reason I asked if the below method will work Sad

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2769696.msg28656258#msg28656258

Someone replied it should work but i have to be careful with connecing 4-prong dryer cord to 3-prong connector. And i asked the below on that

Is there any chance you could tell what 3 to connect from the dryer wore to what on the connector and which one to leave alone on the dryer  wire?

I tried to google but not many results since this is a rare situation I guess. Most of it was about how to change the dyer from 3 prong to 4 prong Sad

This stuff is dangerous, if you don't know what you're doing you should hire an electrician. You can't take your bitcoins with you after you electrocute yourself.

I explain 240v circuits in the USA here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2772135.msg28578662#msg28578662

Note: I am not an electrician. I know enough to know when I don't know something (could probably pass a journeyman test). Which is only slightly better than knowing enough to be dangerous.

How about the below method?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2769696.msg28709171#msg28709171

Shouldn’t that work without the need for electrician? I am planning to run only 1 miner as of now
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 01:02:09 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2018, 01:18:26 AM by senseless

Shouldn’t that work without the need for electrician? I am planning to run only 1 miner as of now

What is your dryer breaker rated at? The wire needs to be the same rating as the breaker. Otherwise, you could burn down your house accidentally. If you try to pull 40A through a 20A cord connected to a 50A breaker, the 20A rated wire will catch on fire. It's not going to catch on fire immediately either. It will slowly heat up and after a few hours or possibly longer, will start to melt, eventually igniting nearby flammable materials. If the breaker was rated at 20A the breaker would trip before the wire would come close to catching on fire. Overrating the wire is fine (larger awg than you need -- assuming it fits in the breaker), Overrating the breaker or outlets is not.

I suspect your breaker is probably 50A or more. It will more than likely need to be swapped out. 2 pole breakers are like $15-$25.

It's really NOT that expensive to do things the correct way. I'm looking at like $300 max to do it yourself on a 100 foot run +/-. Another $600 if you wanted a switched PSU that can remote reboot miners via web interface, monitor temperature, humidity, etc. You can get a basic PDU for around $200. So, $500-$900 per 5.76kW. If your breaker box is in the garage, and you want to mine in the garage, it's even cheaper. You're looking at less than $75 in parts for each 240V 30A circuit exclusive of PDU cost ($200-$600) -- (< 10 foot run).

If you're going to spend $8000 on miners to necessitate a 240v 30A circuit, why not spend another $1000 so you have the proper facilities (which you will probably use for years on different mining hardware).

CJNCRYPTO

Activity: 18

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 01:06:39 AM

https://shop.bitmain.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020180116164357365a2ljX8gx06D3

Looks like 815GH/s with Blake(2b) using 1275W. Starting at $2375/each. Depending on the calculator, having 1 right now would earn between $200 and $475 per day. Obviously, those numbers can change a lot before you actually get one in-hand.

Also: https://twitter.com/BITMAINtech/status/953498092841590784

"We are proud and happy to announce that we are launching the Antminer A3, a new Antminer model to mine cryptocurrencies using the hashing algorithm Blake(2b).
The actual price and option to buy will be available here https://[Suspicious link removed]/12WLPp  after 2:30PM (17 Jan, GMT+8)."

-Bitmain

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2guwhuv.jpg
They went fast....
eth_mining

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 01:18:27 AM

What is your dryer breaker rated at? The wire needs to be the same rating as the breaker. Otherwise, you could burn down your house accidentally. If you try to pull 40A through a 20A cord connected to a 50A breaker, the 20A rated wire will catch on fire. If the breaker was rated at 20A the breaker would trip before the wire would come close to catching on fire.

I suspect your breaker is probably 50A or more. It will more than likely need to be swapped out. 2 pole breakers are like $15-$25.

It's really NOT that expensive to do things the correct way. I'm looking at like $300 max to do it yourself on a 100 foot run +/-. Another $600 if you wanted a switched PSU that can remote reboot miners via web interface, monitor temperature, humidity, etc. You can get a basic PDU for around $200. So, $500-$900 per 5.76kW. If your breaker box is in the garage, and you want to mine in the garage, it's even cheaper. You're looking at less than $75 in parts for each 240V 30A circuit exclusive of PDU cost ($200-$600) -- (< 10 foot run).

If you're going to spend $8000 on miners to necessitate a 240v 30A circuit, why not spend another $1000 so you have the proper facilities (which you will probably use for years on different mining hardware).

Here is a pic of the breaker.. looks like 2-pole 50 A.

https://imgur.com/a/zH6XM

I really get what you are saying and appreciate your response/help. There is no way the A3 is going to pull more than 8 A right? So should we really worry about it pulling above 20 A?

I reay agree on what you are saying about spending for the setup. I live in an Apartment and I am trying to find a temp solution to run the A3 for a couple of weeks before I move it to a colocation
senseless

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 01:23:54 AM

What is your dryer breaker rated at? The wire needs to be the same rating as the breaker. Otherwise, you could burn down your house accidentally. If you try to pull 40A through a 20A cord connected to a 50A breaker, the 20A rated wire will catch on fire. If the breaker was rated at 20A the breaker would trip before the wire would come close to catching on fire.

I really get what you are saying and appreciate your response/help. There is no way the A3 is going to pull more than 8 A right? So should we really worry about it pulling above 20 A?

I reay agree on what you are saying about spending for the setup. I live in an Apartment and I am trying to find a temp solution to run the A3 for a couple of weeks before I move it to a colocation

The adapter would be fine then for temporary use on a single machine. Being in an apartment is even worse. Keep in mind, If you do anything not up to code and it does damage the place... Renters insurance isn't going to help you and you'll be on the hook for damages.

The A3 would run just fine off a 15A or 20A 120v circuit. How many did you order?

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 01:28:45 AM

Still think this is gonna go the way of the D3...even more so if Siacoin does a USAF fork....but, IMHO, Bitmain will blow out enough

units like they did with the D3 to destroy this Siacoin, profitability wise...long before that happens....

and of course, expect a decred miner from bitmain, to be deployed in the same above manner, again IMHO

pillage/burn/ravage....or as bitmain sees it ....rinse/wash/repeat

Bitmain: we do evil well! (tm bitmain)

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
eth_mining

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 01:42:11 AM

The adapter would be fine then for temporary use on a single machine. Being in an apartment is even worse. Keep in mind, If you do anything not up to code and it does damage the place... Renters insurance isn't going to help you and you'll be on the hook for damages.

The A3 would run just fine off a 15A or 20A 120v circuit. How many did you order?

I got 2 but planning to run only 1 in my apartment.

Well, I am planning to use the APW3++. It says that it wont provide more than 1200 W if ran from 110 V. My initial plan was to use one of the GFCI (https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GFCI) from the bathroom or kitchen since they have dedicated 15 A breakers. But if APW3++ cant give the A3 more than 1200 W, theb I am SOL, right? That is when I started researching about using dryer plug.

Why do you think a single A3 should be fine to run from a 15A 120 V if the AWP3++ cant do well on 120 V? Sad  i saw a couple of posts here that it wont work

If it will work, i will just use the GFCI
senseless

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 01:44:41 AM

Well, I am planning to use the APW3++. It says that it wont provide more than 1200 W if ran from 110 V. My initial plan was to use one of the GFCI (https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GFCI) from the bathroom or kitchen since they have desicated 15 A breakers. But of APW3++ cant give the A3 more than 1200 W, theb I am SOL, right? That is when I started researching about using dryer plug.

Why do you think a sungle A3 should be fine to run from a 15A 120 V if the AWP3++ cant do well on 120 V? Sad

Keep in mind, electric in the USA is 120v, not 110v (1440W usable continuous on 15A).

I was running 2x vega 56s, 1x vega 64, and a L3+ overclocked (920W at the kill-a-watt using APW3++) on the same 15A 120v circuit. The breaker only tripped when my wife turned on the hair dryer.

Oh ya, My TV, laptop, and stereo amplifier are also on that circuit... So was the christmas tree over the holidays..  

I see what you're saying, at 120V the APW3++ would only put out 103A DC (1236W).

If you just need to host the one, just get the adapter.

eth_mining

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 01:53:58 AM

Well, I am planning to use the APW3++. It says that it wont provide more than 1200 W if ran from 110 V. My initial plan was to use one of the GFCI (https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GFCI) from the bathroom or kitchen since they have desicated 15 A breakers. But of APW3++ cant give the A3 more than 1200 W, theb I am SOL, right? That is when I started researching about using dryer plug.

Why do you think a sungle A3 should be fine to run from a 15A 120 V if the AWP3++ cant do well on 120 V? Sad

Keep in mind, electric in the USA is 120v, not 110v (1440W usable continuous on 15A).

I was running 2x vega 56s, 1x vega 64, and a L3+ overclocked (920W at the kill-a-watt using APW3++) on the same 15A 120v circuit. The breaker only tripped when my wife turned on the hair dryer.

Oh ya, My TV, laptop, and stereo amplifier are also on that circuit... So was the christmas tree over the holidays.. 

Well, but you only pulled 920 W for the APW3++, right? The Anitminer A3 needs 1400 W. Per the specifications page on the APW3++ it can only provide 1200 W on 110 V (but can supply 1600 W on 22 V). Like you said, if US is 120 V, then it can provide 1300 max? That is still less than what A3 needs (1400 W), right? Or am I missing something?
eth_mining

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 02:04:46 AM

I see what you're saying, at 120V the APW3++ would only put out 103A DC (1236W).

One last option I thought. I read that A3 will have 3 boards each needing 3 PCI power. Can I simply not power one of the boards and only run 2? In that case, I can just run from a 120 V 15 A GFCI? Will i get  540 GHS atleast?
senseless

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 02:08:08 AM

One last option I thought. I read that A3 will have 3 boards each needing 3 PCI power. Can I simply not power one of the boards and only run 2? In that case, I can just run from a 120 V 15 A GFCI? Will i get  540 GHS atleast?

I don't know what the hashrate would be (probably 1/3 or 1/4), but that would work. You'd lower your DC power draw by 1/3 or 1/4.

Darknicks

Activity: 48

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 02:09:55 AM

Huh
I'm using the APW3++ with a S9  and it's running fine on 110v

The S9 is ~1323W and the A3 ~1200W why you say that the APW3++ can't be used with the A3?
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 02:22:16 AM

Maybe it's already been said but I just noticed.

SIA Difficulty has increased by almost 5x since beginning of December.

Seems like Bitmain has had these going for a while now...

https://siastats.info/mining.html

Sorry for all those that rushed to get this miner thinking they would get huge returns.
chiwalfrm

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 02:24:23 AM

Huh
I'm using the APW3++ with a S9  and it's running fine on 110v

The S9 is ~1323W and the A3 ~1200W why you say that the APW3++ can't be used with the A3?

The S9 draws 6.5 amps at 240v.  That's 1560 watts.  I have a metered PDU so I know what I am talking about.  Bitmain even says the APW3++ will not output 1600watts without 240v voltage.

Shitcointalk

Activity: 308
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 03:42:19 AM

Still waiting.

Interesting to know. Thanks for the precision. And glad to hear that you have got your miner running and doing well !
attakorn

Activity: 19

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 03:55:13 AM

Sawasdee krup K Kanit Smiley I'm also living in Thailand and am expecting my machine today. Can I ask you for some advice regarding customs procedure krup? I'm trying to send you a PM but it says you have set to not receive messages from newbies so I can't send you a message krup.

Wolfy10

Activity: 29

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 04:09:11 AM

Hey man,

I was lucky to get my hands on one! I've mining on LUXOR pool cause it's 0% fee now! Been getting great ROI!

Cheers.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: