Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:27:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Walter Block  (Read 5168 times)
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 12:47:21 PM

I didn't know this guy but I like the way he speaks.

Check out what he says about money in this video for instance :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2690Fy0sM8

He makes a good sum up of characteristics for good money :

* durability
* divisibility
* recognisibility
* portability
* scarcity

Notice that bitcoin fullfills all of them.

The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gene

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 01:10:11 PM

* durability
This remains to be seen. Seems pretty easy to lose a wallet. Or for the network to be attacked.

* recognisibility
Definitely not yet. Also, how to recognize an abstract mathematical concept in a way analogous to cash?

* portability
Not like cash. At least, not yet.

*processing payment* *error 404 : funds not found*
Do you want to complain on the forum just to fall for another scam a few days later?
| YES       |        YES |
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 01:26:38 PM

* recognisibility
Definitely not yet. Also, how to recognize an abstract mathematical concept in a way analogous to cash?

All you need to recognize an authentic bitcoin transfer is the proper software. And you can have mathematical certitude that it is authentic. Bitcoins authenticity is much easier to recognize than physical money.

I don't think he meant "recognizability" in the sense of being "famous"... but I didn't watch the video...

* portability

No? You can carry all bitcoins in existence in your pocket if you manage to put them all in one only address. How is that compared to cash?

By the way, Walter Block is an economist on the Mises Institute if I'm not wrong. He has a book from which I've read a few chapters, Defending the Undefendable, it looks interesting... it's on my "to read" list.
gene

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 01:53:21 PM

* recognisibility

All you need to recognize an authentic bitcoin transfer is the proper software. And you can have mathematical certitude that it is authentic. Bitcoins authenticity is much easier to recognize than physical money.
You need a computer. That alone raises the price of entry. With bank notes, you need eyes.

* portability

No? You can carry all bitcoins in existence in your pocket if you manage to put them all in one only address. How is that compared to cash?

Can't do a whole lot with a hash value; a computer is needed. Cash is low-tech and works. Anywhere. Any time. Bitcoin doesn't come close. Here's an experiment. Go to a local market. Try to buy a loaf of bread with bitcoins. Try again with the local currency. Report your observations. Make a conclusion regarding bitcoin's portability.

Try this in a remote area in your country. Tell me what the local hillbillies would tell you to do with your bitcoins if you want to buy something.

I see potential in digital cash, but to compare it to bank notes is just unrealistic.

Do you want to complain on the forum just to fall for another scam a few days later?
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 01:59:21 PM

Can't do a whole lot with a hash value; a computer is needed. Cash is low-tech and works. Anywhere. Any time. Bitcoin doesn't come close. Here's an experiment. Go to a local market. Try to buy a loaf of bread with bitcoins. Try again with the local currency. Report your observations. Make a conclusion regarding bitcoin's portability.

I think you are talking about liquidity here.

I'm not sure about the meaning of the word portability in english, but from what I understand of it, bitcoin does very well apply.  In a different manner than cash though, but it does apply.

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2011, 01:59:37 PM

* recognisibility

You need a computer. That alone raises the price of entry. With bank notes, you need eyes.

* portability

Try this in a remote area in your country. Tell me what the local hillbillies would tell you to do with your bitcoins if you want to buy something.

I see potential in digital cash, but to compare it to bank notes is just unrealistic.

Wow gene, I really missed you!
You successfully demonstrated that "bank notes" != "bitcoin", I'm impressed.

gene

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 02:16:09 PM

Wow gene, I really missed you!
You successfully demonstrated that "bank notes" != "bitcoin", I'm impressed.

De même. However, my point stands. I think it is important to realistically evaluate the limitations of bitcoin rather than going all heads over heels about how bitcoin "fullfills all of" the characteristics of money. Although my point is elementary, I was surprised to see that it not obvious to some.

Also, nobody has contested my assertion that bitcoin is by no means "durable."

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 02:25:52 PM

Likewise. However, my point stands. I think it is important to realistically evaluate the limitations of bitcoin rather than going all heads over heels about how bitcoin "fullfills all of" the characteristics of money. Although my point is elementary, I was surprised to see that it not obvious to some.

The ability for a currency to be transfered physically with no electricity, no computer, just "from hand to hand", is very good indeed.  And indeed you can't do that with bitcoins.

But the thing is that the ability to be transfered instantanously in very long distance with almost no cost is just about as good.   You can't do that with physical bank notes.

There are things you can do with bitcoins, that you can't with bank notes, and reciprocally.  Both currencies are "portable", but in different spaces :  physical space for bank notes, cyberspace for bitcoins.

Now you can deny cyberspace has as big an economic importance than physical space if you want.  I don't.

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 02:29:23 PM

And it's not difficult at all to imagine physical, off line representations of bitcoins that would work pretty much like bank notes did during gold standard. If really demanded, that will be done.
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 02:33:58 PM

And it's not difficult at all to imagine physical, off line representations of bitcoins that would work pretty much like bank notes did during gold standard. If really demanded, that will be done.

True.  Especially since that's what a bank note is supposed to be after all :  an IOU.  It could easily be backed by bitcoins.  A bank note is not a currency.  It's a method of payment.

gene

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 02:39:40 PM

But the thing is that the ability to be transfered instantanously in very long distance with almost no cost is just about as good.   You can't do that with physical bank notes.
True. But "with almost no cost" is not on the list of criteria you posted above. The bank notes have equivalent electronic recognition as pertains to the corresponding requirement.

There are things you can do with bitcoins, that you can't with bank notes, and reciprocally.  Both currencies are "portable", but in different spaces :  physical space for bank notes, cyberspace for bitcoins.
No physical manifestation (much less one which is recognized as legitimate) of bitcoin exists. That severely limits its portability as it pertains to practical use for most people.

I can carry USD in my wallet (which said hillbilly would be happy to accept) and have them represented as numbers on a computer screen (which my bank would be happy to transfer).

Now you can deny cyberspace has as big an economic importance than physical space if you want.  I don't.

I suppose it depends by what you define as important. Some would consider buying food and other goods to be important. Others would consider the ability to transfer capital to be important. No matter, by the criteria you listed above, bitcoin still has some way to go. Not saying that it can't happen. Just saying that it is a bit too early to start cheer leading about how wonderful and ready bitcoin is to serve as a currency in any meaningful way.

gene

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 02:44:33 PM

A bank note is not a currency.  It's a method of payment.

Try explaining this distinction to a local merchant. This is the sort of pedantry which will hinder the progress of bitcoin.

gene

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 02:45:55 PM

How would you preserve the unique qualities of bitcoin? If it exists physically, it can be forged. Or it would depend on some central authority. Probably both.

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 02:52:31 PM

Try explaining this distinction to a local merchant.

Easy.  It will be written on it.  A bank note usually clearly states what it is.

gene

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 03:06:31 PM

Easy.  It will be written on it.  A bank note usually clearly states what it is.

I have a $10 bill in front of me. It says:

Ten Dollars

In a nice old-western typeface.

It also states:
This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private

I failed to locate the text which states
This bank note is not a currency.  It's a method of payment.

Perhaps the euro notes are different?

An old Swiss Frank here states:
Zehn Franken
Diesch Francs

They wanted to make a point in two languages that this note IS 10 Swiss Franks. Those guys are very well-educated, indeed.

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2011, 03:21:16 PM

I didn't know this guy but I like the way he speaks.

Check out what he says about money in this video for instance :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2690Fy0sM8

He makes a good sum up of characteristics for good money :

* durability
* divisibility
* recognisibility
* portability
* scarcity

Notice that bitcoin fullfills all of them.

I like this guy.  Walter Block is very intelligent.  And he says "voluntary" a lot, so I like!  Smiley

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Sultan

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 03:21:52 PM

Imagine a BitCoin bank that creates promissory notes which are pegged to BitCoins, and then the whole miserly process begins again! LOL!

http://images.onbux.com/banner.gif
I then use the money to buy BitCoins. You can too!
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2011, 03:31:33 PM

Imagine a BitCoin bank that creates promissory notes which are pegged to BitCoins, and then the whole miserly process begins again! LOL!

This would not happen to a large extent with bitcoins, since your wallet is your bank.  There is no need to store your money somewhere else.  Of course if you like gambling, you could lend your money to some BitCoin bank in exchange for a promissory note...

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 03:36:44 PM

I have a $10 bill in front of me. It says:

You challenged me to explain to a local marchant what a bitcoin bank note would be.  I answered you.  The fact that dollars are defined differently is an other matter.  On a bitcoin bank note we would write :  "This note can be redeemed against [XX] bitcoins in [some place]".

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 03:40:19 PM

This would not happen to a large extent with bitcoins, since your wallet is your bank.  There is no need to store your money somewhere else.  Of course if you like gambling, you could lend your money to some BitCoin bank in exchange for a promissory note...

Exactly.  Also, there is no way you can prevent this usage from happening, with any money.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: