Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:58:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: IOTA - Thousands of Wallets Compromised and Funds Stolen  (Read 2618 times)
langdong

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:37:03 PM

I still have my IOTAs however bought them long time ago. How do I know if my wallet may be compromised and what to do to prevent my funds from being stolen?

How did you create your seed? If you want to be safe just create another one manually and send your funds there.

I think the fact that people always say 'Crypto gives the power back to the people' is kind of funny regarding this situation if it wasn't so sad actually. Creating an own seed is actually the safest thing to do at all. Doesn't get better than this. Yes, you're in charge of your funds now. A certain responsibility comes with it.

I still feel bad for all the people who lost money here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rdanneskjoldr

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:38:24 PM

I still have my IOTAs however bought them long time ago. How do I know if my wallet may be compromised and what to do to prevent my funds from being stolen?

Current situation should only worry you if you used a seed generator.
I_Like_Dogs

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:39:25 PM

Just login to your wallet and you will see if you still have your IOTA's or not.. I am storing them on my exchange,
so i am not running with that risk at the moment. But yes, IOTA is shit, and it is not safe to hold them.

KryptoKai

Activity: 630

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:41:47 PM

I'm replying to bump up this thread so IOTA investors will know about this and quickly check their wallets. News about this has not spread much, actually this is the first i've heard about it! Too much news about the blood in the streets, this is just kicking a coin while it's down and the investors with it - and straight after the bitconnect scandal!

cryptogeek101

Activity: 798
Merit: 250

homt.net

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2018, 05:47:55 PM

If you bought IOTA, check your wallet. Chances are high that it is empty now.

Don't believe me? Open it and find out yourself that all your funds have been stolen.

How so? People were told to use online seed generators. Yes, a seed, online. Not from the wallet itself, no password, not protection at all. And one clever chap collected all the generated seeds and just cashed in.

What can you do? If it is still "Pending" then check out this posting from the official IOTA forum. If it says confirmed as it does for me, funds are gone.

https://forum.helloiota.com/9100/To-everyone-posting-with-stolen-balances

IOTA tries to blame people now for using the online seed generators. I think the party to blame is IOTA itself, for not putting a seed generator in their light wallet, and for not password protecting it.

This actually calls for class action as thousands of accounts were compromised!

(my x-post from Steemit)

I personally do not buy IOTA or own it but if this is what happened then it's not a welcome development. The developers are supposed to put measures in place to protect investors funds. By letting every thing so lose give some wrong signals to the public.

HOMT

Powered by,
AiwaDima

Activity: 322
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 05:51:04 PM

So I have heard about this situation and I am very sympathetic to people who have suffered from these attacks, therefore it is necessary to clarify something with the service which is responsible for these funds.
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 06:06:00 PM

What wallet do you use? It seems that the only affected wallets are ones that were generated using online website with closed-source. Exchanges and wallets that don't have open source are definitely not secure. The best wallet is the one provided by development team.
MadMac (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 06:10:29 PM

You are not safe, even if you did not use any seed generator. I explained that already. There are 2 things, authentication and authorization. Right now you can only use a seed which is your private key, to login to your wallet, authentication. There is no way to protect this seed. That would be authorization, or put it simply, a password. IOTA does not have that simple but necessary functionality.
runz

Activity: 103
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:24:20 PM

You are not safe, even if you did not use any seed generator. I explained that already. There are 2 things, authentication and authorization. Right now you can only use a seed which is your private key, to login to your wallet, authentication. There is no way to protect this seed. That would be authorization, or put it simply, a password. IOTA does not have that simple but necessary functionality.

You're talking bullshit! If I knew your private key for the wallet, an encryption password would not prevent me from stealing your coins. The password would just help you if I would infect your system with a backdoor and your private key is stored in clear text on your hard drive.
MadMac (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:31:32 PM

I talk sense. You don't have basic understanding. That's the problem with most people.
runz

Activity: 103

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 07:38:41 PM

I talk sense. You don't have basic understanding. That's the problem with most people.

Could you explain why you "talk sense"?

Do you own Bitcoin? If your argument is true, it should be no problem to post your private key here because your funds are still protected with your wallet password?
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 08:30:16 PM

This is a lie. Unless you give your seed to someone else like the OP did by using an untrusted online seed generator your funds are SAFE. The OP doesn’t understand basic technical functions of wallets and/or is just spreading FUD. Stop lieing!
immakingacoin

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 02:01:51 AM

People want to say "$15,000,000" and sure, maybe that isn't a lot to a lot of people when it is a conglomerate of people coming together, because Bitcoin was Free at first, and then $0.01, and then $0.50 and then $1.00 and $5.00 and $30.00 and $100.00 and $500.00 and $1000.00 and now $18,000.00 and $15,000,000 doesn't sound like much with so many people.

But a lot of that was probably people who wanted IOTA to be the next Ethereum. Who were waiting for it to go to $100 and $1000 each, and it just got stolen at $3.00 each. And when everyone says "$15,000,000", is that before or after the 13% Price drop?

IOTA should do something to fix this if they haven't started, they shouldn't just say those people are SOL. You can't earn IOTA, they are all out there already, so anyone that lost them can't go mine more or post somewhere to earn more, they have to buy them at $2.50 each if they want them, and they just lost a big investment so everyone can't really do that.

Dear colleagues,

100.27 IOTA are stolen from my wallet.
TRANSACTION HASH
WOAJNORJBF9KPSOM9LCBLHELACRBDSGQDFHNMMQPPNHFNLROPZJBKFXORAIPYKKWADTQSMEGZC9I999 99

coins went to wallet:
IOTA ADDRESS
CTORMCUAAMTBPK9XPSQEHJPARDRA9XTPUWC9EEARSWMZNTYAWXGLEVXVKQDXKBHARUFZEKBGSVKFJYH MZ

of course I generated the seed via online generator...

So disappointing in IOTA.

coin5haker

Activity: 350
Merit: 16

~bitcoin enthusiast~

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2018, 02:29:49 AM
Merited by mobilazy (1)

I generated my seed using python code myself. But was annoyed that this functionality is not part of the wallet. New wallet should be much better if devs would bother to release it. I'm still holding my IOTA because I invested like 700 bucks in it and still waiting for profit. With all this partnership with VW, Bosch and others it should moon soon, isn't it? If this FUD won't kill it  Grin

cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 02:35:26 AM

I generated my seed using python code myself. But was annoyed that this functionality is not part of the wallet. New wallet should be much better if devs would bother to release it. I'm still holding my IOTA because I invested like 700 bucks in it and still waiting for profit. With all this partnership with VW, Bosch and others it should moon soon, isn't it? If this FUD won't kill it  Grin

vw and bosch used online seed gens Sad

they said fuck this cowboy shit now. We just found out about byteball and raiblocks anyway..... we nearly missed out.

MadMac (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 04:18:02 AM

What a rubbish from the IOTA fanboys. Certainly it is not safe to post any private key online or use it to log into your wallet. That's why no wallet uses a private key to openly login, only the IOTA wallet does that. And as I wrote several times before, they do so without authorization.

Again, AAA: Authentication, Accounting and Authorization, the 3 pillars of information security. IOTA failed to implement authorization. And that's what they are to blame for!

This is a lie.
You are probably German, call everybody a liar, that does not fit into your small limited world. LOL
tengkukaya

Activity: 131
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 05:02:01 AM

what happend to that crypto? could you give me a link for the news?
MadMac (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 05:13:08 AM

what happend to that crypto? could you give me a link for the news?
Perhaps you read this thread right here?  Huh
stefanoste

Activity: 140

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 07:07:45 AM

so now there will be snapshot , what will happen to all hack accounts?? 0 accounts will be deleted  and all hack evidence for farther investigation "in case " will be lost ?
jets567

Activity: 1008
Merit: 511

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 07:18:14 AM

This is a bad news for all of us here, but sad to say these activities are really hard to stop. I mean it's just the lust of other people to make easy earnings from the hardship of others. Good thing some of the Internet Securities are also venturing into blockchain industry. Mcafee is now pioneering it, and i hope his advocacy will be a helpful thing for all of us here in the cryptoworld.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print