Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:15:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on the new merit system?  (Read 919 times)
andreizver

Activity: 714
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:18:21 PM

Thank God I managed to get into the wave and get at least a little bit in this sphere, but it is already evident that there are a lot of novices and this machine will not stop.
not a bad system to weed out a small fish, but the growth of users gives and the demand for crypto currency. so it was hard for me to judge

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:22:24 PM

It's good if you are legendary or a hero member within range of ranking up lol

Everyone else has a much harder time now, making high ranks that much more valuable.
mikfresh

Activity: 266
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:43:26 PM
Merited by The Sceptical Chymist (1)

I think this is a problem for non native English speakers. The vast majority of this forum is in English. Italian community, from my perspective, is much smaller compared to the size of some others. Even quality contents in there wouldn't get any merit, simply because there are few users logged in. And writing a marvelous post in English is kinda tricky for me, since i'm not honed like you in English. I'll try to do my best to deserve being rewarded, but that won't be an easy task. Even working as translator didn't help me gain credit to my community, even doing a great job. Well, time will tell.
frost_wind

Activity: 560
Merit: 16

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2018, 10:56:17 PM

I think the merit allocation system should be improved . It is to strict and centralized right now . Also , the main problem is that merit system wouldn't solve the spam problem , just look in random altcoin discussion thread and you will find it is full of useless spam . Wanna defeat spam ? Disable signatures , this will solve the spam problem , as well as lower forum traffic .

jamescloudynieze

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 10:58:09 PM

Merit is can be given by your friends
CarlosCorreia

Activity: 728
Merit: 139

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2018, 11:48:40 PM

I'm not too sure about this new merit system.  Although these boards have been getting a lot more spam, it will be much more difficult to level up your bitcointalk account.  Most people are not even going to bother and give out merit to quality posts.

What are your thoughts, do you like the new merit system?

I have exactly the same opinion!

1) Most of the user won't bother to give merit to those who deserve.
2) Hero/Legendary are more recognized by the other users, not only for the post, but also for the colorful signatures and avatars.
3) Most merit will be given to those who give airdrops or manage campaigns in the time of distributing tokens.
4) Will get harder and harder to rank up! I'm almost half way to Senior, and now need to get merit somewhere.
5) Start to see post ending in "if you though my post was helpful please give me some merit".
6) There are still a bunch of people that never heard about merit.
7) There will be quality posts with no merit, and shit posts from "friends" with +50 merit.

And so on... and so on...

I really think that this system can be good for the forum, but it's not well thought!
This is benefic for the old people versus the new one instead of being benefic for the quality posters!
aussiesloth

Activity: 266
Merit: 41

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 12:52:11 AM
Merited by CarlosCorreia (1)

A few thoughts...

Spam levels reduced? No. People can still post as much rubbish as they used to - there's no penalty for posting garbage.  Negative merit would be a way of restricting this.  eg. The more negative the merit of someone, the longer wait time between each post they can do - Of course it could also be open to abuse, with people giving negative merit out of vindictiveness or simple boredom.

Abuse of the system? Absolutely! There is already ample evidence to support the fact that people with multiple accounts are giving Merit to themselves; trading merit for other benefits; various abuses by members with high rank (lots of merit) but low morals.  (Look in the Meta section for tons of examples)

Quality posts get rewarded? Not necessarily.  Any new system takes time to become broadly adopted.  Many people may not even realise there's a merit system been implemented yet.  Other issues, such as bouncing the user off the thread when giving merit, will also need attention.

Harder to rank up?  Possibly.  It will depend on the uptake of merit system use and willingness of members to award merit to posts that aren't necessarily a lengthy dissertation, but simply a quality comment on a thread that adds value to the discussion. (Maybe like this one?)
CryptoDemonElite

Activity: 238
Merit: 7

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 01:00:37 AM

You mean alot less spam? Anyway, about the merit... I think there should be some tweaks done to the current system. I believe that right now the problem is that most of the users aren't getting merit with they're posts(even if the posts are good)... Maybe because other users are still not used to this new feature, maybe because they expect a half of a page post to be eligible to win merit... All i know is that getting higher rank will be much harder than before, even if your posts are good

I believe that can be frustrating, but a good thing. It filter out the spammer and people with low quality content. Now people will be putting out more useful content. The only unfair problem I see with this is the unfair merit that might be distributed. People who make post with quality will probably get no merit and people with crappy post will probably get merits.
Turk Ace

Activity: 360
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2018, 05:20:13 PM

I think that the system needs improvements. High ranks will not give merits to the newcomers of the forum for good posts, it will already be unfair.

That's not true. I give merit to a good post. Doesn't have to be the most brilliant post ever made but I will give merit for a good post and I don't even look at what rank the person I give the merits to are.

I'm not too sure about this new merit system.  Although these boards have been getting a lot more spam, it will be much more difficult to level up your bitcointalk account.  Most people are not even going to bother and give out merit to quality posts.

It is totally unfair. You need to post on meta in able to get a merit but if you are posting in a regular thread, good luck to you even if your comments are helpful or quality post. Who ever suggest it is stupid because it will not solve the problem instead it will create another problem like selling their merit to be able to rank up their account. The new
 merit system will just damage the image or the reputation of the forum and sooner or later. Someone will create a forum like this that has a better policy.

Yes exactly. It just creates more work for mods because it's just another thing to be abused and now they have to monitor it. I'm seeing people make good posts and not be rewarded. It's very disheartening. It's gonna be like steemit. Only the high ranks or a small group of people get merit and the rest get none just like steemit. A nonesense article that's ok quality gets high steemit rewards just because the owner owns a lot of steel tokens.

When i see this i was curious what is this new system
 For what using this new system of bitcoin that was merit so someone who post according to merit thay was i realize that this is the perfect idea of the developer for those who taking advantage of bitcoin forum even short post it is also counted so that when i read this i am agree to avoid spammer and thos always taking advantage.

It's funny you should say that. You haven't been given a single merit points and neither have I. Most people haven't even got 1 and it's not because they don't post well it's because people don't care.

I agree with you, the main problem of the merit system is that the majority of people don't care to give merit to others because they don't get anything out of it and like for most things if people don't get rewarded they won't do it.
There are probably still a lot of people that don't even know that there is this new system.

Other than that I think and hope it's gonna kill most of the spam there is nowadays on the forum, it was getting out of hand and it was even a waste of time to read most threads because people were saying nonsense offtopic just to farm up their post count and rank up.

The problem is when you make good posts but get nothing. The only merit I have was from you. I need like 250 or something ridiculous to level up. It's not fair if the people in the thread you are posting in are too stupid or useless to read and give merits. You could write good posts all day long and get nothing. It's not gonna work.
partysumo

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 05:23:07 PM

I think that the system needs improvements. High ranks will not give merits to the newcomers of the forum for good posts, it will already be unfair.

That's not true. I give merit to a good post. Doesn't have to be the most brilliant post ever made but I will give merit for a good post and I don't even look at what rank the person I give the merits to are.

I'm not too sure about this new merit system.  Although these boards have been getting a lot more spam, it will be much more difficult to level up your bitcointalk account.  Most people are not even going to bother and give out merit to quality posts.

It is totally unfair. You need to post on meta in able to get a merit but if you are posting in a regular thread, good luck to you even if your comments are helpful or quality post. Who ever suggest it is stupid because it will not solve the problem instead it will create another problem like selling their merit to be able to rank up their account. The new
 merit system will just damage the image or the reputation of the forum and sooner or later. Someone will create a forum like this that has a better policy.

Yes exactly. It just creates more work for mods because it's just another thing to be abused and now they have to monitor it. I'm seeing people make good posts and not be rewarded. It's very disheartening. It's gonna be like steemit. Only the high ranks or a small group of people get merit and the rest get none just like steemit. A nonesense article that's ok quality gets high steemit rewards just because the owner owns a lot of steel tokens.

For what using this new system of bitcoin that was merit so someone who post according to merit thay was i realize that this is the perfect idea of the developer for those who taking advantage of bitcoin forum even short post it is also counted so that when i read this i am agree to avoid spammer and thos always taking advantage.

It's funny you should say that. You haven't been given a single merit points and neither have I. Most people haven't even got 1 and it's not because they don't post well it's because people don't care.

I agree with you, the main problem of the merit system is that the majority of people don't care to give merit to others because they don't get anything out of it and like for most things if people don't get rewarded they won't do it.
There are probably still a lot of people that don't even know that there is this new system.

Other than that I think and hope it's gonna kill most of the spam there is nowadays on the forum, it was getting out of hand and it was even a waste of time to read most threads because people were saying nonsense offtopic just to farm up their post count and rank up.

The problem is when you make good posts but get nothing. The only merit I have was from you. I need like 250 or something ridiculous to level up. It's not fair if the people in the thread you are posting in are too stupid or useless to read and give merits. You could write good posts all day long and get nothing. It's not gonna work.

This is what I have been saying all along. Unless you build mechanisms to create incentives for merit sources or more senior members, the system will never take off.

Because whether they give merit or not, it doesn't make a difference for them. Giving merit is not affecting their lives in any way. Merit has to be an integral part of a user's experience on this forum, otherwise it will never work. You can count on it.

dentolas

Activity: 854
Merit: 12

arcs-chain.com

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 07:31:43 AM

I couldn't agree more!
what it seems to me up until now is that this will benefict higher ranks and in a short time the forum will be flooded with newbies and jr and members that can't get up on the ranking system... (the merit steps between ranks are ridiculous and can't work well)
buddies will give merit between eachother, legendaries will get merit from lower ranks because they are legendaries, and the rest will be always begging for a bit of merit...
merit is not that bad though, it would be a good idea, but maybe not so closely tied to rank.....
not exactly sure but maybe the formula for activity calculation could also have merit in it... and posts would only be counted towards activity if they would be longer than 50 or 70 chars

► ARCS ◄ ♦ ARCS - The New World Token (*Listed on KuCoin) ♦ ► ARCS ◄
───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───
Website◂ | ▸Twitter◂ | ▸Medium◂ | ▸Telegram◂ | ▸Whitepaper
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: