Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:12:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin growth - The Long View  (Read 13247 times)
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:24:44 PM

We're all early adopters until you can walk on the street, ask ten people what they think of bitcoin, and get more than three to give you a cogent answer.

I've heard it said that people tend to fall into normally distributed curves, with the early adopters being in the lower 15.8% (1 standard deviation below median or more), the majority who wait for the tech to be proven within the +/- 1 standard deviation "majority" portion of the curve and the upper 15.8% being the die-hards who are just now getting on the internet (+2 standard deviations would be the 2% or so who still use rotary phones).

So in short, the real tipping point is when you can interview 100 people on the internet (people on the street aren't guaranteed to be part of the 2.1 billion internet users out of 6.8 billion overall people) and 16 of them (or more) will say they use bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:25:19 PM

Hey Piper67,

I'm flattered at commanding your attention! Isn't it a bit embarrasing for you to see that the company you keep is too stupid to even realize that you were taking a (weak) poke at me?

I see you forgot I admitted my mistake, something that I don't suspect we'll ever see from you. But take care to gloat and laugh, because we know only good things come from that behavior.

Or you could be posting coherently about the topic at hand like a reasonable being.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:31:52 PM

Warning - while you were reading 7 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

fast post.

just my 2 bitcents. 

the mainstream joe might not ever use bitcoins, but the mainstream joe has never bought or sold anything using gold either.

My point is that bitcoin might end up as just a 'store of value' like gold is, but with the advantage over gold of

1.  you can never get any more bitcoins then the 21Million avail by 2021 ( you can always digup more gold)
2.  you can transfer the value across a network  (try doing that with gold unless selling futures.)

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
Shinobi

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:32:12 PM

Hey Shinobi, there's a difference between being mildly amusing and commanding my attention... I doubt you could command a jet of pee into the toilet bowl. As for my poke being weak, I get that it would be to someone who doesn't know anything about paradigm shifts, basic economics, monetary policy or international politics.

You truly are the tail thinking it's wagging the dog, kid.

I am? I guess only time will tell. I do, however, want to know why you keep repeating "paradigm shifts, basic economics, monetary policy or international politics" as if you are cutting and pasting it?  I do something about all these topics in varying strength, and enough to have a good sense of where Bitcoin is headed.

_______
Thinking of using a cheap, yet reliable VPN? Go with PrivateInternetAccess. Not a referral link. Just a satisfied customer!
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:33:10 PM

Hey Shinobi, there's a difference between being mildly amusing and commanding my attention... I doubt you could command a jet of pee into the toilet bowl. As for my poke being weak, I get that it would be to someone who doesn't know anything about paradigm shifts, basic economics, monetary policy or international politics.

You truly are the tail thinking it's wagging the dog, kid.

I am? I guess only time will tell. I do, however, want to know why you keep repeating "paradigm shifts, basic economics, monetary policy or international politics" as if you are cutting and pasting it?  I do something about all these topics in varying strength, and enough to have a good sense of where Bitcoin is headed.

For emphasis, Shinobi, something you'll learn about in high school.
Shinobi

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:35:38 PM

Really? I didn't read Kuhn till college. Maybe I was a late bloomer.  Tongue

_______
Thinking of using a cheap, yet reliable VPN? Go with PrivateInternetAccess. Not a referral link. Just a satisfied customer!
DonnyCMU

Activity: 143

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:38:08 PM

The chart on number of nodes are very indicative.. However, you should take into account of another trend: web-based wallet.

I rarely open my wallets now. Most of my coins are in Mt.Gox/Tradehill. If I need to send coins, I send it from there.

Why?
Because every time I open my wallet.....  I have to wait 0.5-1 hour for the blocks to catch up!!!   Angry

Until we can get a thin client, this can be somewhat preventive to adoptions (I remember when I install the client on a new PC I have to wait 4 hours before I can send/receive any coins. Imagine how a new user would feel.), and it'll push the trends toward web-based wallets more.
TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:39:59 PM

The chart on number of nodes are very indicative.. However, you should take into account of another trend: web-based wallet.

I rarely open my wallets now. Most of my coins are in Mt.Gox/Tradehill. If I need to send coins, I send it from there.

Why?
Because every time I open my wallet.....  I have to wait 0.5-1 hour for the blocks to catch up!!!   Angry

Until we can get a thin client, this can be somewhat preventive to adoptions (I remember when I install the client on a new PC I have to wait 4 hours before I can send/receive any coins. Imagine how a new user would feel.), and it'll push the trends toward web-based wallets more.

Good point. You are right that there will be refinements to how people manage their wallets and coins. The numbers in my article don't take that into account. All we can do is make educated guesses, until other methods of measuring exist.

imperi

Merit: 101

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 05:40:15 PM

I only send coins from my Linux server, and the wallets are always open.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 06:51:16 PM

Here is a graph of the the price of WonderBread. I'm sure it has something to do with the price of bitcoin, I just don't know what.

that my friend is called INFLATION. LOL

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 06:52:08 PM

Here is another chart about something. I'm not sure what it's about, but it looks just like the rest, so I figured it might just fit in well:

Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL 

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2011, 07:20:04 PM

A true BitCoin chart will look like a complete circle.

Kiss

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
TraderTimm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 07:23:17 PM

Grin Grin Grin MEGA LAWL   

(snip, ad infinitum)

You're right, the proportion of emoticons to useful content does indicate underlying intelligence. Good call!

CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:03:16 PM

One of the barometers that I'm using is to try and sell goods here on the forum.  Afterall, everyone here understands Bitcoin so if I can't sell here, then the rest of the world surely isn't ready yet.  So far my result has been less than impressive.  No minimum bid, 80+ views, no offers.  I know my goods have value because I have a locked in price from Amazon as to what they would be willing to give me for my item.

Obviously one item isn't enough to make any sort of conclusion, but I think as I put more items up for bid, it will give me a better sense of if this Bitcoin truly is just for speculators or a viable medium of exchange.

The stories of so and so bought a car or house with Bitcoin is irrelevant to me.  A guy bartered a red paper clip into a house.  Doesn't mean I should go out and buy red paper clips.  Anyway, that's one of the current metrics I'm using for my personal bullish/bearish long-term outlook on BTC.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
AtlasONo

Activity: 551

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:04:00 PM

Oh and this didn't get moved to speculation?  Roll Eyes
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:27:16 PM

One of the barometers that I'm using is to try and sell goods here on the forum.  Afterall, everyone here understands Bitcoin so if I can't sell here, then the rest of the world surely isn't ready yet.
IMHO the forum is an awful place for buying and selling goods - I spend Bitcoins nearly every day but I have not looked here in the respective forum-sections for a long time. It is just not the right interface for finding stuff. Also the audience at amazon.com is orders of magnitudes larger than in our forums here - add one additional order of magnitude for everybody who, like me, simply doesn't bother to wade through tons of forum posts in order to find something they want to buy. So you would really have to offer a _lot_ here to be able to compare it to Amazon. Anyway - you could probably deduce something useful from the total number of successful trades here on the forum. Anybody has statistics about that?

The Bitcoin economy is still young - good trading sites are rare and we don't have anything close to Amazon.com in terms of usability. Give it some time - it will develop. People are spending their coins, even though many just don't really know how to deal with this new things just yet. Eventually it will be just money to them and they will spend it accordingly.

Don't worry - everything's gonna be alright Wink

Oh and I agree: this thread has probably turned into a worthy candidate for the Speculation section. Apologies to the OP for this obviously unintended development.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:28:21 PM

One of the barometers that I'm using is to try and sell goods here on the forum.  Afterall, everyone here understands Bitcoin so if I can't sell here, then the rest of the world surely isn't ready yet.  So far my result has been less than impressive.  No minimum bid, 80+ views, no offers.  I know my goods have value because I have a locked in price from Amazon as to what they would be willing to give me for my item.

Obviously one item isn't enough to make any sort of conclusion, but I think as I put more items up for bid, it will give me a better sense of if this Bitcoin truly is just for speculators or a viable medium of exchange.

The stories of so and so bought a car or house with Bitcoin is irrelevant to me.  A guy bartered a red paper clip into a house.  Doesn't mean I should go out and buy red paper clips.  Anyway, that's one of the current metrics I'm using for my personal bullish/bearish long-term outlook on BTC.

Come back to make comments on this analysis of yours in a year. Then you can say you've really tried and took the time to see what this market will become.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Synaptic

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:38:35 PM

LOL,

How the fuck was this thread left on the main page but my MIRROR thread with the reverse opinion is shoved into the speculation sub-forum?

LOL,

Man, this site's heavy handed bias becomes so so sweetly evident.

Suppress dissent. Drive the market.

RALLY! RALLY! RALLY!
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:43:37 PM

LOL,

How the fuck was this thread left on the main page but my MIRROR thread with the reverse opinion is shoved into the speculation sub-forum?

LOL,

RALLY! RALLY! RALLY!

Probably because nobody reported this thread as needing to be moved. Tongue

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Synaptic

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:47:26 PM

LOL,

LOL,

RALLY! RALLY! RALLY!

Probably because nobody reported this thread as needing to be moved. Tongue

Heh, good point. Reported.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: