Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:24:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin's immunity to government action  (Read 13512 times)
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2011, 10:26:03 PM

Some people will NEVER sell their bitcoin to the gov...like me! Cheesy

Me too!!! NEVER NEVER NEVER Cheesy

I'll sell, 1BTC/state. Maybe they'll give me NJ at least.

I'd say save 2100 BTC or 0.01% of world BTC reserves, than trade the rest. Only 10 000 tickets to this particular lottery/investment will ever be for sale. Optionally, save 2100 * N, where N is your personal greediness coefficient :-)

To me it makes more sense to buy according to personal wealth. It would be hard to buy 2100 if you couldn't afford it, and probably a silly place to stop if you are a millionaire.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fergalish

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2011, 01:31:54 PM

Yea great idea, lets replace freaking Euro with it!!!  Grin Irish really should consider default right now, get IMF off their back and get a decent currency. They will have to default eventually anyway, so the sooner the better. That's one radical idea for you.

Issue every household in the country, heaters based on 4x5970's. Get a few bombers ready to bomb  into smithereens any supercomputer attempting to attack bitcoins. How's this for Celtic Tiger Revival Plan (CTRP)? Beats any TARP and such.

Dude, you just became my hero!
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 04:53:58 PM

Anything going on with Iceland?

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 05:07:39 PM

Whats the difference with Iceland?

One letter and about 6 months hhahahahahaha *snort*

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
no to the gold cult

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 12:09:11 AM

Icelands in a better position than Ireland, fopr one thing they didn't bail out the banks.

nifgraup

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 01:48:19 AM

Based on a quick google search, there doesn't seem to be an active makerspace/hakerspace in Iceland.  However, I'm sure that there is something that we could work with.  Even a GNU/Linux users group would a good lead.

yes there is...

http://hakkavelin.is/

Found this list here - http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_Hacker_Spaces

So there you go....our first point of contact?

P.S. looks like they are looking for donations for an arduino hackerthon. A bitcoin sponsorship opportunity ?

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=144994722224328

Hi, I'm Björgvin. I'm an active member of Hakkavélin hackerspace.

I've been lurking on these forums for about two weeks since the dollar parity, fascinated with bitcoin taking off for real (ohh, why didn't I mine back in October when I briefly tested it first.)

I'm actually in the mids (on and off) of writing an article about Bitcoin in Icelandic to publish on my facebook or blog. I actually got more material to base it on today, after this news item was broadcast, http://visir.is/audveldara-ad-nota-facebook-peninga-en-islenskar-kronur/article/2011110229387, titled: "Facebook credids to be easier to use than Krona". It's a report on a talk at a conference by Orri Hauksson, Director General of The federation of Icelandic Industries. "Orri adds: The future could be that virtual currencies will be valued equal to Dollars and Euros. They will affect the real economy and the physical worlds. But when, I won't forecast".

As for our hackerspace, we are not having any upcoming arduino hackerthons. But we are about to order plastic parts for a Prusa Mendel RepRap 3D-printer, I'm not sure if you can get that stuff for bitcoins Smiley.

Björgvin
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 07:11:22 AM

I've been lurking on these forums for about two weeks since the dollar parity, fascinated with bitcoin taking off for real (ohh, why didn't I mine back in October when I briefly tested it first.)

Procrastination can save you sometimes, too.  If I hadn't procrastinated in my plan to deposit into Icesave, I would have lost my ass.  A week later it collapsed.

Did you read this whole thread?  What do you think of the plan?  And what is the local power rate per KWH?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 07:30:13 AM

Well, I might sell them a few bitcoins.  If the government is giving me 1kg of gold per BTC.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 07:32:02 AM

Well, I might sell them a few bitcoins.  If the government is giving me 1kg of gold per BTC.

You might just live to see the day that 1 BTC is equal to 1KG of gold, but I'm doubtful that the US government actually has any left.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2011, 10:08:36 AM

You might just live to see the day that 1 BTC is equal to 1KG of gold, but I'm doubtful that the US government actually has any left.

Oh, I'm sure there are a bar or two left in Ft. Knox... They wouldn't spend that much money just for theater, right?

RIGHT?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Anonymous

February 25, 2011, 01:46:54 PM

Oh, I'm sure there are a bar or two left in Ft. Knox... They wouldn't spend that much money just for theater, right?

RIGHT?

Gold covered Tungsten bars ftw
Anonymous

February 25, 2011, 01:54:57 PM

Based on a quick google search, there doesn't seem to be an active makerspace/hakerspace in Iceland.  However, I'm sure that there is something that we could work with.  Even a GNU/Linux users group would a good lead.

yes there is...

http://hakkavelin.is/

Found this list here - http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_Hacker_Spaces

So there you go....our first point of contact?

P.S. looks like they are looking for donations for an arduino hackerthon. A bitcoin sponsorship opportunity ?

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=144994722224328

I'm actually in the mids (on and off) of writing an article about Bitcoin in Icelandic to publish on my facebook or blog. I actually got more material to base it on today, after this news item was broadcast, http://visir.is/audveldara-ad-nota-facebook-peninga-en-islenskar-kronur/article/2011110229387, titled: "Facebook credids to be easier to use than Krona". It's a report on a talk at a conference by Orri Hauksson, Director General of The federation of Icelandic Industries. "Orri adds: The future could be that virtual currencies will be valued equal to Dollars and Euros. They will affect the real economy and the physical worlds. But when, I won't forecast".

As for our hackerspace, we are not having any upcoming arduino hackerthons. But we are about to order plastic parts for a Prusa Mendel RepRap 3D-printer, I'm not sure if you can get that stuff for bitcoins Smiley.

Björgvin

glad you decided to post . The reprap stuff is so cool.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2011, 07:37:28 AM

RIGHT?

Fort Know hasn't been audited since FDR.

opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2011, 12:14:31 PM

I invite the bitcoin community to assist in the creation of a new government
bitcoin is of course the currency of this new government.
My ideals go along with most of this community.
this new government is ment for everyone and so all may not agree, but it is a work in progress. it is a wiki so it is able to adapt and change quicker than any other current government.

http://opticbit.com/phpwiki

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
myrkul

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2011, 12:41:04 PM

this new government is ment for everyone and so all may not agree, but it is a work in progress. it is a wiki so it is able to adapt and change quicker than any other current government.

Why, after noticing that the bed is on fire, should we stamp it out, only to start one in the sink?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 26, 2011, 12:44:21 PM

Your web page says "We seek no control over anyone", yet "top wage earners are not to earn more than 100x their lowest wage earning employee", and licensing and permits are required after a one-year grace period.

Do you see the inherent contradication?
Anonymous

February 26, 2011, 02:16:26 PM

creation of a new government

fail.
opticbit

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2011, 10:11:39 PM

Your web page says "We seek no control over anyone", yet "top wage earners are not to earn more than 100x their lowest wage earning employee", and licensing and permits are required after a one-year grace period.

Do you see the inherent contradication?

I know, its a work in progress, I'm not sure how to  instill all the ideals with out breaking others.
however businesses are not people, it is the business who pay the people. 
If you have a better idea fix it.
some government is needed, some type of centralized, or decentralized method to handle certain things.
I'm not sure if licenses or permits would be the right term, they are needed in the current system, maybe they arn't really needed, but some type of trust system, it is only a suggestion as I have found getting the initial funds and filling out all forms is very difficult.

opticbit

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2011, 10:15:07 PM

Why, after noticing that the bed is on fire, should we stamp it out, only to start one in the sink?

I think of it as putting out the fire that has spread to the living room, removing the old fireplace, and putting in a newer safer more effecient one.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2011, 10:44:33 PM

I think of it as putting out the fire that has spread to the living room, removing the old fireplace, and putting in a newer safer more effecient one.

I've got abetter idea: let's not use a fire: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: