Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:51:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USB Block Eruptor Problems  (Read 3183 times)
DebitMe (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 05:09:10 AM

I just received 5 block eruptors, and am having quite a problem getting them set up.  I have Windows 7 running and got a 10 port hub from Micro Center that I am thinking is pretty cheap.

When I first received these units, I plugged them all into the powered 10 port hub and everything worked fine for about an hour, then they started to have issues.  Now, I can only have 1 plugged into the hub and it works, and they all work individually, but plugging two in immediately has problems.  Also, plugging the hub into the wall causes problems.  There is an LED on the hub that lights up when I plug in the USB to the comp, but when I plug in the wall part also, it dims.  One USB miner runs in the hub fine, but plug in the wall port and it stops working.  Is this a bad hub?

Plugging in the USB's directly into the computer causes 2 of them to not work for the Bitminter client, I have yet to get them to work in CGminer.  I am able to get them to have COM numbers, but CGminer still does not recognize them, I use Bitminter and it recognizes them unless one of the above problems is happening.

Does anyone have any idea?  It seems like Windows is having problems identifying multiple miners?  Is there a fix?

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 05:11:09 AM

cgminer does not use com ports at all, it speaks directly to it via USB using the WinUSB driver instead. Read the ASIC-README.txt file included for instructions to set them up for cgminer.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 07:34:53 AM

Now, I can only have 1 plugged into the hub and it works, and they all work individually, but plugging two in immediately has problems.  Also, plugging the hub into the wall causes problems.  There is an LED on the hub that lights up when I plug in the USB to the comp, but when I plug in the wall part also, it dims.  One USB miner runs in the hub fine, but plug in the wall port and it stops working.  Is this a bad hub?

The dimming LED issue shouts power problems with the hub.

Since you're getting COM ports coming up when you do get the miners plugged in, why not try bfgminer - will save you messing about further with WinUSB drivers.
demonmaestro

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Mining for the hell of it.

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 08:23:07 AM

Okay doky there. Follow this guide and you will be up in no time. Well after you get another hub. Look into the Dlin Dub-h7 or the Anker 9+1 port hub. You need at least to be safe 5amps to fire all well. 500ma*10=5a. <- you can find at amazon.

BFGMiner setup from BTC Guild

Feel Like Donating? bc1q0v5nfdejapffewu67gft7zw7zsmnfmmkt3lf02
Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.
DebitMe (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 11:54:02 AM

I tried using Zadig to make them into Winusb drivers, but that did not work either, Whenever I did that and started CGminer it always gave me an error of something like, they need drivers installed -12, or something to that effect.

I may have to try BFGMiner and get a new hub.  Here is a link to the hub that I bought
http://www.microcenter.com/product/377595/10-Port_USB_20_Powered_Hub
I assumed it was the hub having problems since it worked for an hour and now will not handle more than 1 at a time.

Any particular reason why I can only get 3 to start when just plugging them directly into USB ports?

EDIT: BFGMiner is telling me that I Do not have privileges required to open \\.\COM1
But the USB's are not on COM1, and it does not seem to go any further than that.  Any Ideas?

dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2013, 01:38:00 PM

I just received 5 block eruptors, and am having quite a problem getting them set up.  I have Windows 7 running and got a 10 port hub from Micro Center that I am thinking is pretty cheap.

When I first received these units, I plugged them all into the powered 10 port hub and everything worked fine for about an hour, then they started to have issues.  Now, I can only have 1 plugged into the hub and it works, and they all work individually, but plugging two in immediately has problems.  Also, plugging the hub into the wall causes problems.  There is an LED on the hub that lights up when I plug in the USB to the comp, but when I plug in the wall part also, it dims.  One USB miner runs in the hub fine, but plug in the wall port and it stops working.  Is this a bad hub?

Plugging in the USB's directly into the computer causes 2 of them to not work for the Bitminter client, I have yet to get them to work in CGminer.  I am able to get them to have COM numbers, but CGminer still does not recognize them, I use Bitminter and it recognizes them unless one of the above problems is happening.

Does anyone have any idea?  It seems like Windows is having problems identifying multiple miners?  Is there a fix?

Note: The block eruptors LED turns off and only blinks lightly when a share is found (just want to make sure you are not thinking that the bright LED turning off means they are not working)

You mention about plugin your hub into a computer or the wall?  If it is a "powered" hub then it's only "powered" when it's plugging into the wall.  If you are only plugging it into a computer via USB then you are running off the computers USB port power which is not enough power to run 10 eruptors.

If your hub had been working for an hour and now won't work it sounds like there is some kind of fault with the hub, maybe overheated and melted some wiring?  (You'll need a fan on your eruptors all the time especially with a plastic hub.
DebitMe (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 01:43:40 PM

I just received 5 block eruptors, and am having quite a problem getting them set up.  I have Windows 7 running and got a 10 port hub from Micro Center that I am thinking is pretty cheap.

When I first received these units, I plugged them all into the powered 10 port hub and everything worked fine for about an hour, then they started to have issues.  Now, I can only have 1 plugged into the hub and it works, and they all work individually, but plugging two in immediately has problems.  Also, plugging the hub into the wall causes problems.  There is an LED on the hub that lights up when I plug in the USB to the comp, but when I plug in the wall part also, it dims.  One USB miner runs in the hub fine, but plug in the wall port and it stops working.  Is this a bad hub?

Plugging in the USB's directly into the computer causes 2 of them to not work for the Bitminter client, I have yet to get them to work in CGminer.  I am able to get them to have COM numbers, but CGminer still does not recognize them, I use Bitminter and it recognizes them unless one of the above problems is happening.

Does anyone have any idea?  It seems like Windows is having problems identifying multiple miners?  Is there a fix?

Note: The block eruptors LED turns off and only blinks lightly when a share is found (just want to make sure you are not thinking that the bright LED turning off means they are not working)

You mention about plugin your hub into a computer or the wall?  If it is a "powered" hub then it's only "powered" when it's plugging into the wall.  If you are only plugging it into a computer via USB then you are running off the computers USB port power which is not enough power to run 10 eruptors.

If your hub had been working for an hour and now won't work it sounds like there is some kind of fault with the hub, maybe overheated and melted some wiring?  (You'll need a fan on your eruptors all the time especially with a plastic hub.

Thanks for the info.  Yes I figured out that they blink when they are working.  They act really weird though when more than 1 is plugged into the hub.  I am assuming that I probably melted something on the hub, since it seems to not get as much power when plugged into the wall, since it will not even run 1 eruptor, but it can run 1 when I do not have it plugged in.  Also I had a 120MM fan on them the entire time (which was also on the hub but I am guessing the hub was a pretty cheap POS).

Does anyone have a link for a tried and true tested hub that can support 10 of these?

aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 04:09:45 PM

Sounds like you wall adapter went out and now your way under powered.
Stale

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 04:27:53 PM

From Microcenter:
AC Adapter Output Voltage    5V
AC Adapter Output Amperage    2A

5 USB BEs = 2.5A minimum, so you likely overran the hubs PS for a bit. I vote for power problems too.
Rival

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 04:39:27 PM

After sorting past hundreds of BFL hate threads in the Custom hardware subforum, I found this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=253749.0
DebitMe (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

From Microcenter:

5 USB BEs = 2.5A minimum, so you likely overran the hubs PS for a bit. I vote for power problems too.

Ahh that makes sense, well that was a waste of $15.  Silly me for not doing more research and assuming a powered hub would be fine.  No one to blame but myself.

And Rival, thanks for the link.  I am in the process of ordering 4 Anker hubs which should handle 36 badboys.  Hopefully the problems are all behind me.

But, would there be a reason as to why having 5 plugged into 5 different USB ports would not make all of them work with Windows 7?  I would think that each individual port should have enough juice to run one miner?

OldGeek

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Blitz:The price affects the perception of the news

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 06:00:48 AM

I couldn't get mine to work directly off of the box either.  Got a D-link and all is good.

/Frank

Be Safe   Be Free   Be Informed    Be Alert
Support safety, freedom, information, and awareness.  All four accept donations of Bitcoin.
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 06:03:02 PM

From Microcenter:

Ahh that makes sense, well that was a waste of $15.  Silly me for not doing more research and assuming a powered hub would be fine.  No one to blame but myself.

And Rival, thanks for the link.  I am in the process of ordering 4 Anker hubs which should handle 36 badboys.  Hopefully the problems are all behind me.

But, would there be a reason as to why having 5 plugged into 5 different USB ports would not make all of them work with Windows 7?  I would think that each individual port should have enough juice to run one miner?

Possibly the same issue. perhaps your mother board does not supply enough power for all the ports to run them at the same time.
kabopar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 01:16:03 PM

I replaced the original plug pack that came with the cheap 10 port USB 2.0 hub with another unit (same plug into the hub, same polarity, but a much higher current specification, 4A instead of 2A in this case).
If you try bfgminer, use the latest version (3.2.0) which has a lower HW error rate than earlier versions.  You'll need to install the serial comms ports (see the BTC Guild guide).

Cheers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: