Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which is deeper?
The Matrix - 42 (79.2%)
Inception - 11 (20.8%)
Total Voters: 53

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Matrix vs Inception  (Read 6628 times)
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:54:02 AM

Which is deeper?

And how can I get deeper still, I wish to explore.

My asshole is deeper than those movies.

The Matrix theory has been around since before Pilgrims, and Inception was just like "Let's go six layers in, but not actually get into any real world dream science."

Pretty much agreed. I'll keep repeating myself until someone gets it. Watch these instead:

2001: A Space Odyssey: Humanity's place in the Universe
The Face of Another: Psychological study of identity and its meaning
Pale Flower: Nihilism and self destruction
Yi Yi: Affirmation of being human
The Human Condition: Being defiant within a war machine
Woman in the Dunes: Another muse on identity and its role in society
Sansho the Bailiff: I don't know where to begin
2046: A meditation on love and longing
In the Mood for Love: same as above
Days of Being Wild: same as above

Definitely will check them out.

Have you seen I Heart Huckabees?

I have not. I don't even think I've heard of it. I'll look it up.

Now, in regard to deepness, my selections, although most are unheard of to the crowd here, are rather famous (2001 being obvious), but the other selections are major, just not to Joe Sixpack and Soccer Mom Sally. I think most of those picks are on the top 100 films of all time, on several polls, and picks of critics and film festivals worldwide. In other words, I'm not just naming some obscure favorites of mine - I'm naming cinematic treasures.

They are deep, profound, beautiful, thought provoking, and emotionally affecting. But you've got to be willing to watch subtitles, and in some cases, black and white. If that puts you off, then you're just not choosing to walk through that door which leads to other cultural riches of cinema.

Are you going to step through that door?

I didn't just list a movie I liked either, it's a crazy movie about coincidence, and will power, and giving in to the flow. Or not giving in.
It may not be a classic or a "cinematic gem", but it's an awesome movie about human nature and the universe.

I'm down to read subtitles, once I get into a movie, I don't even realize I'm reading.

You've just been handed gold. And I will take a look at your suggestion. Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 04:54:13 AM

Ever since I said that the Matrix theory was older than Pilgrims, I wanted to prove it.

When I was like 14, I was into Gnosticism and Archons and I ran into a page on Wikipedia. According to my memory, it was about the middle ages, and demons called "Flyers" that create an illusionary world for us to believe in, while they farm us like in the Matrix (aka we die).

But I can't find the article. I've tried all variations of: Flyers, Gliders, Demons, Middle Ages, Illusion, False Reality, Matrix
And I can't find it...

The Matrix put nothing new in my head, nor did it affect me in any deep way, either emotionally, or in a cerebral way. Watch my movie selections. Trust me.

I mean, it put new stuff in my head, but I was 5 when I saw it, so most of the stuff in the Matrix was new to me.

But I was on mushrooms with some friends once, and they were all talking about the Matrix, and I was just kinda sitting there silently thinking about all their words.

And I finally decided to speak, and I said: "Its just like, a movie about having all the cheat codes in a video game". And they all felt really stupid for talking about it like it was such an important movie.

Even the difference between being "in" and "out" of the matrix. It's just like a gamer contrasting his own shitty reality (living in his mom's basement) to the game (being a awesome murder hero). And he's even a hacker, he just "mods" life. And the programmers (people like mouse, Morpheus, etc) are all amazed because they have to go through shit tons of code, and still can't make things like that happen in the game. "Video Game Jesus".

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
FirstAscent

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 05:21:59 AM

Ever since I said that the Matrix theory was older than Pilgrims, I wanted to prove it.

When I was like 14, I was into Gnosticism and Archons and I ran into a page on Wikipedia. According to my memory, it was about the middle ages, and demons called "Flyers" that create an illusionary world for us to believe in, while they farm us like in the Matrix (aka we die).

But I can't find the article. I've tried all variations of: Flyers, Gliders, Demons, Middle Ages, Illusion, False Reality, Matrix
And I can't find it...

The Matrix put nothing new in my head, nor did it affect me in any deep way, either emotionally, or in a cerebral way. Watch my movie selections. Trust me.

I mean, it put new stuff in my head, but I was 5 when I saw it, so most of the stuff in the Matrix was new to me.

But I was on mushrooms with some friends once, and they were all talking about the Matrix, and I was just kinda sitting there silently thinking about all their words.

And I finally decided to speak, and I said: "Its just like, a movie about having all the cheat codes in a video game". And they all felt really stupid for talking about it like it was such an important movie.

Even the difference between being "in" and "out" of the matrix. It's just like a gamer contrasting his own shitty reality (living in his mom's basement) to the game (being a awesome murder hero). And he's even a hacker, he just "mods" life. And the programmers (people like mouse, Morpheus, etc) are all amazed because they have to go through shit tons of code, and still can't make things like that happen in the game. "Video Game Jesus".

The Matrix just isn't deep. Period.

Watch Edward Yang's Yi Yi, and you'll realize there is a higher level of cinema. A random Google search yielded this review linked below. I don't necessarily want you to read it all the way through, as there may be spoilers, but you might read the first paragraph or so to get an idea of the greatness of the film. See review: http://www.reverseshot.com/article/13_yi_yi
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 05:27:29 AM

And I can't find it...

Watch Edward Yang's Yi Yi, and you'll realize there is a higher level of cinema. A random Google search yielded this review linked below. I don't necessarily want you to read it all the way through, as there may be spoilers, but you might read the first paragraph or so to get an idea of the greatness of the film. See review: http://www.reverseshot.com/article/13_yi_yi

Sounds like a good movie, he almost just writes about how it affected him in the review, and not the movie itself.

FirstAscent

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 05:32:13 AM

And I can't find it...

Sounds like a good movie, he almost just writes about how it affected him in the review, and not the movie itself.

He echoes my sentiments, and pretty much everyone I know who has seen it, and in discussion on line. It is one of the most important films made, and cinephiles know it. Interestingly, another film on my list shows up in that series (best films of the decade). I didn't plan this. I just discovered the site a few minutes ago. Here's the other film: http://www.reverseshot.com/article/3_mood_love
elektibi75

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 07:55:17 AM

Shutter Island is deep,even Watchmen is deeper than the Matrix.But Inception is a great movie,not just deep drama stuff but great cinematography great actions and superb acting for that kind of movie.So Inception is a masterpiece  Smiley

█ DARFChain █ DARFChain - smart escrow engine, based on proof-of-accounting consensus █....
▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚
• Whitepaper • ANN Thread • Telegram • Facebook • Reddit • Slack • YouTube • VK
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 01:27:45 PM

Shutter Island is deep,even Watchmen is deeper than the Matrix.But Inception is a great movie,not just deep drama stuff but great cinematography great actions and superb acting for that kind of movie.So Inception is a masterpiece  Smiley

Inception was a good MOVIE I'll give it that. It was a good idea. But it wasn't like, educational. Except that I know not to fall asleep on Airplanes now... Right?

gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 02:03:25 PM

Oldboy (2003)

Hopefully they will not screw so much with the 2013 remake ...

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
FirstAscent

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 03:02:43 PM

Oldboy (2003)

There was a discussion about this film in this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=293034.0

Essentially, if you're willing to go that far, you've cheated yourself unless you've gone a lot farther.
Rayen

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 03:15:11 PM

Dun no yet.
UMP-45

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 03:23:09 PM

Inception.
Alpaca Bob

Activity: 153

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 03:56:05 PM

Am I really the only one who likes The Matrix as a trilogy? I thought it only started to get anywhere near "deep" after the first movie.

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
elektibi75

Activity: 326

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 07:34:40 AM

Am I really the only one who likes The Matrix as a trilogy? I thought it only started to get anywhere near "deep" after the first movie.

I love the Matrix trilogy as well!!!
First the drama,then the action and the resolution.It`s great.

█ DARFChain █ DARFChain - smart escrow engine, based on proof-of-accounting consensus █....
▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚
• Whitepaper • ANN Thread • Telegram • Facebook • Reddit • Slack • YouTube • VK
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 07:55:00 AM

Matrix all the way.Inception was intelligent and kept us wondering. But, the matrix is so much more thought out and intelligent. Also, you never know what 'really' happened. May, be a bit bias but I would choose Matrix over Inception any day.

Although, the other matrix movies aren't great. But, normally follow ups are poor.
makebitcoin

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 06:50:30 PM

I personally found V for Vendetta to be a 'deep' movie and also I could relate the society to our own.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 09:06:55 PM

I personally found V for Vendetta to be a 'deep' movie and also I could relate the society to our own.

Relating more and more every day.

And I love that movie!

FirstAscent

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 03:17:35 AM

Define deep without describing specifics to V.
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 01:04:24 PM

You've never saw V for Vendetta?

FirstAscent

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 05:32:19 PM

I have the Blu-ray of V for Vendetta still in its shrink wrap from over a year ago. In the interim, I have chosen to watch other movies instead, which I'm pleased to say that I have now watched. Here's a brief clip from one such movie (directed by a director far more famous than the director of V for Vendetta). Said movie has likely given me far more pleasure than I might have derived from V for Vendetta. Here's the clip to that movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wI6LfigwYA

The clip you just watched was from a movie entitled Equinox Flower. You did watch the clip, did you not? I tell you what. I'll watch V for Vendetta if you watch another fine movie entitled Yi Yi. That's a film that has been critically acclaimed, and voted one of the greater films ever made. V for Vendetta was not voted as such. Here's the trailer for Yi Yi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F6tSorwYqw
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 08:31:54 PM

I have the Blu-ray of V for Vendetta still in its shrink wrap from over a year ago. In the interim, I have chosen to watch other movies instead, which I'm pleased to say that I have now watched. Here's a brief clip from one such movie (directed by a director far more famous than the director of V for Vendetta). Said movie has likely given me far more pleasure than I might have derived from V for Vendetta. Here's the clip to that movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wI6LfigwYA

The clip you just watched was from a movie entitled Equinox Flower. You did watch the clip, did you not? I tell you what. I'll watch V for Vendetta if you watch another fine movie entitled Yi Yi. That's a film that has been critically acclaimed, and voted one of the greater films ever made. V for Vendetta was not voted as such. Here's the trailer for Yi Yi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F6tSorwYqw

Stop everything you are doing and watch V for Vendetta! Cheesy

Actually, I've suggested V for Vendetta because it is somewhat related to the topic as it has the same writers as The Matrix.

I'm a big Wachowski brothers fan (I await patiently for their upcoming sci-fi tv series), and the underlying theme of The Matrix, V for Vendetta and Cloud Atlas is very similar, revolt against the system, they work as mind openers and we can relate those stories with our own society.

Not a spoiler: V is "Agent Smith".

I'm aware of those top movies of all time critics choice, I've watched a few like Citizen Kane, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Mulholland Dr., Taxi Driver and more.

I have to confess that I'm not a big Japanese cinema fan, I've watched a few from Takeshi Kitano, and others that I don't remember now.

I already had Yi Yi on my to watch list, but I can't make promises.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: