Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:38:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH GPUs miners beware!  (Read 20716 times)
pickleburglar

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 05:57:12 PM

Right now ethash network is fully protected, nobody can have 51% total hashrate, with asics that can be true, right now eth hashrate is totally decentralized, btc hashrate is mostly centralized and that is bad.

ETH also has a very functional and active dev team. If eth ASIC's should materialize, they might just do a fork to change the algorithm a bit, it would be in the interest of the network. Then bitmain will be stuck with a pile of useless hardware that took millions to develop and manufacture, that kind of lesson would serve as the best ASIC deterrent.
ultiman2

Activity: 67

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:04:30 PM

I said this a month ago and trolls as always laughed at me, anyway the end of gpu mining might be into us cause equihash asic prototype has been finalized and are through tests right now. As soon as ethash and equihash are asiced then will not be anything to miners. The end is near trolls, thankgod eth will be going pos, so bitmain and other gpu killers will shoot themselves.

some neoscrypt coins are not so bad for now
d57heinz
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011

Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 06:06:54 PM

Right now ethash network is fully protected, nobody can have 51% total hashrate, with asics that can be true, right now eth hashrate is totally decentralized, btc hashrate is mostly centralized and that is bad.

ETH also has a very functional and active dev team. If eth ASIC's should materialize, they might just do a fork to change the algorithm a bit, it would be in the interest of the network. Then bitmain will be stuck with a pile of useless hardware that took millions to develop and manufacture, that kind of lesson would serve as the best ASIC deterrent.

A lot of people thought the same with sia. That did not happen. It’s good to keep things decentralized and open market.  There will be a use for these ASICS regardless of Eth ever goes pos.  Which btw hasn’t happened for last cpl years but has been a “threat” for many reasons as I have witnessed. We should let it play out and see where it goes.

BR

As in nature, all is ebb and tide, all is wave motion, so it seems that in all branches of industry, alternating currents - electric wave motion - will have the sway. ~Nikola Tesla~
john.eck

Activity: 71
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 09:36:43 PM

What website is this? From what source they have this info? It sounds like bulls**t.
But ETH will switch to POS anyway so if there would be an asic for eth than you wouldn't be able to use it for long.
dohfish

Activity: 65

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 10:35:54 PM

I smell BS - We all know that the amount of RAM is not really important, but more the speed of the RAM which as not been stated at any point.
john.eck

Activity: 71
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2018, 10:50:28 PM

I smell BS - We all know that the amount of RAM is not really important, but more the speed of the RAM which as not been stated at any point.

I agree to you. I have tested a Radeon Pro Duo with 32 GB memory and the result was 48 MHS for ETH. 24 MHS each processor from the GPU. So it didn't matter if it had more memory.
cryptogirls85

Activity: 169
Merit: 10

Trying to be someone... someday

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 10:54:59 PM

This is expected isnt it? Isnt this kind of the reason they want to switch from PoW to PoS? There is no such thing as "ASIC resistant algorithm", it just takes longer/expensiver hardware to make an asic to these algos, which does not make it profitable. Yet.

So the term "Asic resistant" is BS?... I always thought those algorithms that declared this were truly Resistant. Huh
Well.... one more "sure thing" I thought I knew just went down the drain  Grin

FloppyPurpleGherkin

Activity: 306
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:15:27 PM

Algorithms are 10-a-penny so this is a non-issue even if true..
whitrzac

Activity: 126

90*c is good, right?

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:18:44 PM

Its reportedly using DDR3 memory...

6 cores on each board
32gb on each board
3 boards per machine
of DDR3...

So one machine would be the equivalent of an 18gpu rig, providing that the asic cores are roughly as fast.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:27:55 PM

The funny thing is all ethash and equihash clone coins will be dead too as gpu mining. I guess right now the only coin which has not even concrete evidence of an asic is monero, maybe monero will be the only coin to survive the asicapocalypse.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:29:00 PM

There are rumours that Bitmain has set its sights on ETH and will be releasing an ASIC in Q2 or Q3 of this year!

https://www.cryptoinfomag.com/2018/02/12/eth-asic-arriving-soon/
oh my god, sure the Ethereum difficulties will go up again and the GPU miners will be sad including me, if this happens we should look for an alternative Ethereum
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:30:18 PM

There are rumours that Bitmain has set its sights on ETH and will be releasing an ASIC in Q2 or Q3 of this year!

oh my god, sure the Ethereum difficulties will go up again and the GPU miners will be sad including me, if this happens we should look for an alternative Ethereum

The only alternative will be cryptonight coins, there will be nothing else profitable.

2drive

Activity: 85

The world is flat...

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:30:54 PM

Maybe, sadness for GPU miners

---- Where is my money ppl!? ----
StGermain

Activity: 224
Merit: 14

QuickX ICO

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:34:09 PM

Just FUD. Nobody is stupid enought to dedicate resources to create an ETH ASIC knowing that the main chain Ethereum may go PoS at any time this year.

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:35:10 PM

Fake China news.

Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:52:19 PM

Just FUD. Nobody is stupid enought to dedicate resources to create an ETH ASIC knowing that the main chain Ethereum may go PoS at any time this year.

Do you think they will sell this? they will mine a lot before they do that, nobody will public say it, people will never notice why their profits decreased 1000%, right now if you are earning $1 per card, with asics will be $0.10 hehe per card per day hehe and if you pay $1000 for a rx 580 then will take billions of years to get your roi hehe, another planet has to be born for the trolls paying $1000 to get their roi hehe

Right now, prototypes are already mining a lot of eth hehe, you think gpus are increasing the difficulty that fast? think again young padwan hehe

This is so much fun, while idiots are buying rx 580 for $1000 for 30mhs, bitmain and co are bulding eth asics that cost the same $1000 for 300mhs hehe

bigdude

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

Dolphins Finance TRUSTED FINANCE

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 11:57:45 PM

oh .. what will happen with my GPUs, maybe the GPUs will be idle or be the toy that is on the wall and the sellers will be a bit disappointed because they have stock his gpu in large quantity also they will be short of profits and gamers a little happy because the price of GPUs will be normal again. But good is the rumours. we'll see what happens if Bitmain releases.

Why panic in the first place. Ethereum is not the only coin. There are lots of profitable coins out there that can be mined through GPU like Monero, Zcash, Bitcoin Gold among others. Also, the Equihash algorithm is more profitable right now than mining Ether as there are no DAG file issues.
Total agree with you.
GPU have many coins out that can mined and someday it would bring you very nice and surprise profits.
You can easy to switch to any coins not like Asic one.

Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 12:02:35 AM

Total agree with you.
GPU have many coins out that can mined and someday it would bring you very nice and surprise profits.
You can easy to switch to any coins not like Asic one.

I like how you trolls keep so optimistic about the whole thing. "hey, don't worry, we will always have a trollcoin to mine and get rich fast" hehe, so much fun, you trolls are hilarious and yet so deceptive to each other, but don't worry reality will hit your troll face like nothing else hehe

dohfish

Activity: 65

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 12:06:27 AM

Its reportedly using DDR3 memory...

6 cores on each board
32gb on each board
3 boards per machine
of DDR3...

So one machine would be the equivalent of an 18gpu rig, providing that the asic cores are roughly as fast.

Nowhere near as fast as a 18GPU rig - There's no point here, the DDR3 memory is no were near as fast as the memory on a regular GPU - Not even close.

ETHash is memory bound, it doesnt matter if the asic has 24 cores per machine, it will be limited by the ram speed as all the calculations are done in RAM.

This is why this machine is fake, there's no point really, they would require GDDR5 ram, which is really expenssive compared to regular ram, but its also much faster - Secondly, there's 0 need for 32GB of RAM, a ASIC made for ETHash would not have 32GB of RAM as the algo requires FAST ram so stuffing it with more RAM than needed will simply drive the price up even more, making it even less attractive.

The algo that ether runs on, is asic "secure", you can indeed create a asic for ether mining, but it will be no more effective than GPUs as you are limited by the RAM speeds - They might be cheaper than purchasing X GPU's since they can probably get away with cheaper overall hardware, but there's basically no point as their supply would be limited in a much larger scale than GPUs.

Oh an Metroid, not sure why you are like this, but just stop what you are doing, the only troll here is you.
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2108
Merit: 1397

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 12:14:13 AM

This kind of makes sense assuming the numbers are correct for 32GB per 6 asics on each board. That means about 5GB of memory for each asic. If they are really using DDR3 (which again makes sense for an ASIC style eth design, since 96 GB of GDDR5 would be crazy expensive), they could probably get away with a 256 bit memory bus running at 933mhz (near max of DDR3). That would translate to about 60GB/s per asic or about 7mh, x 6 = 42 MH per board or 126 mh per machine at probably 200-300 watts.

Nothing crazy but is the equivalent of a 6 GPU rig, for probably half the power cost at half the USD cost.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: