Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:40:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH GPUs miners beware!  (Read 20712 times)
Raziel__

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

Geniuses are always branded as crazy

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 01:37:37 AM

Well at least the Monero team have gone out and said they will make the coin Asic proof with subtle code changes
heh they can do whatever they want if this thing have over 10gb its over, you can mine every coin with it. But ETH is in testnet for POS so few more months and it will move from pow to pos, same thing with ETC so you will have monero which isnt so profitable and Zcash

This is madness. Prepare yourself miners, winter is here!
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
O$IRIS

Activity: 136
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 02:11:26 AM

Does anyone know when Ethereum be moving to Proof-of-Stake?
dmonrey002

Activity: 84
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 03:52:33 AM

if that happens that having a eth asic miner. then eth move TO POS...  i think what the sense of having   asic miner..   that is nonsense..  one of the reason why eth move to POS..   to prevent to become centralized the hash rate.   to survive form asicapolypse. Smiley
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 11:32:58 PM

I would like to ask what are the legit sites that I could mine ETH? there are a lot of ETH mining sites and I guess most of them are scam....

I've used ethmine.org pretty much all the time I've mined ETH.
They have 2 sites, one a standard sort of site, the other a "solo mining" type site.

Same folks also run the "flypool" ZEC mining pool site.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 11:35:05 PM

Sure, a 128 bit quad channel bus is effectively a 512 bit bus. AMD and Nvidia have used 512 bit buses in the past, however they both have moved away from those due to high cost and high power consumption. If Bitmain's ASIC really does have a separate 512 bit bus for each core (so 18x 512 bit bus in total), then 200+ MH/s is possible. However, in that case the retail cost and the power consumption will be pretty high. I'm sure they wouldn't release anything that's worse than a comparable GPU rig but most likely it's not going to drive GPU rigs out of the market either.

Not entirely true - HBM and HBM2 are both quite a bit wider.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
Chromexnet

Activity: 62

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 03:07:53 AM

Sure, a 128 bit quad channel bus is effectively a 512 bit bus. AMD and Nvidia have used 512 bit buses in the past, however they both have moved away from those due to high cost and high power consumption. If Bitmain's ASIC really does have a separate 512 bit bus for each core (so 18x 512 bit bus in total), then 200+ MH/s is possible. However, in that case the retail cost and the power consumption will be pretty high. I'm sure they wouldn't release anything that's worse than a comparable GPU rig but most likely it's not going to drive GPU rigs out of the market either.

Not entirely true - HBM and HBM2 are both quite a bit wider.

True but HBM actually doesn't use a memory bus in the traditional sense since the memory is located on the same physical die. It's more like a huge EDRAM. So it's a completely different technology and not really comparable. It's also rather expensive.

But that's not really the point, the point is putting 18 separate 512 bit memory buses on a board is expensive and I wonder if Bitmain has really gone that route and how are they planning to do it cost effectively.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 08:41:34 PM

Most HBM usage DOES have the RAM on it's own die.
Reference the AMD "Fury" line, and their current "Vega" line.
I'm pretty sure that's also the case for the Titan V and the Tesla "volta generation" on the Nvidia side.

It's still a bus, it's just a very WIDE bus (4096 bit IIRC?).

Chromexnet

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 12:20:02 AM

I'm pretty sure that's also the case for the Titan V and the Tesla "volta generation" on the Nvidia side.

Sorry, I ment to say HBM is located on the same silicon. The physical connection between HBM and DDR is quite different so it's not meaningful to compare them. It's like comparing a conveyor belt to a truck - both transport goods from one place to another but that's where the similarities end. Designing a wide bus is not difficult if the physical connection distance is short; Playstation 2's GPU had a 2560 bit bus to its' 4 MB EDRAM memory over 15 years ago. On the other hand with DDR the physical connection is distance is much longer so none of the big silicon giants, Intel, AMD or Nvidia have gone for a very wide DDR bus in their consumer products.
ntrader

Activity: 264
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2018, 05:18:07 AM

There are rumours that Bitmain has set its sights on ETH and will be releasing an ASIC in Q2 or Q3 of this year!

https://www.cryptoinfomag.com/2018/02/12/eth-asic-arriving-soon/

It seems that ETH mining in new future will be so hard and so our systems will be old. I think it will take more time to come in market and we can be rest until manufactured.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:05:03 PM

Sorry, I ment to say HBM is located on the same silicon. The physical connection between HBM and DDR is quite different so it's not meaningful to compare them. It's like comparing a conveyor belt to a truck - both transport goods from one place to another but that's where the similarities end. Designing a wide bus is not difficult if the physical connection distance is short; Playstation 2's GPU had a 2560 bit bus to its' 4 MB EDRAM memory over 15 years ago. On the other hand with DDR the physical connection is distance is much longer so none of the big silicon giants, Intel, AMD or Nvidia have gone for a very wide DDR bus in their consumer products.

To date, HBM used in video cards is NOT on the same silicon, much less in the same package, as the GPU, though that might change when the Bristol Ridge APUs get released.
It does tend to be clustered a lot closer TO the GPU though, than ram on a motherboard.

Chromexnet

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 10:19:05 PM

To date, HBM used in video cards is NOT on the same silicon, much less in the same package, as the GPU, though that might change when the Bristol Ridge APUs get released.
It does tend to be clustered a lot closer TO the GPU though, than ram on a motherboard.

HBM and GPU die are connected together via silicon interposer so technically it's all one big silicon. The interposer, HBM and GPU die are manufactured separately before they are integrated together so I'll give you that. That doesn't change the point though; it's much easier to route lots of data lanes when they don't need to though PCB, pins and sockets (like is the case with DDR).

Spill

Activity: 94
Merit: 5

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 05:12:02 PM

Holy $hit the ETH difficulty just spiked like a Mother Fu#ker last night.  For it to spike that much in 12 hours is
definitely not from GPU's   Huh

I'm thinking these are really REAL, and bitmain must be just selling them
to there big Asian customers.   Be prepared everyone for profitability to be gone
from minning in 2018. Cry
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 07:19:06 PM

You DO realize that mining luck can "spike" apparent hashrate a lot in a short period?

Miner_GR

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 08:03:33 PM

You DO realize that mining luck can "spike" apparent hashrate a lot in a short period?

Do you realize that luck on the network hashrate cannot spike that much in a short period? Did you check this to understand why difficulty rose that much? Just put 1week to see.
https://www.coinwarz.com/network-hashrate-charts/ethereum-network-hashrate-chart
darkstonexa

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 08:22:07 PM

Seriously spike? what spike. all I see is a steady consistent climb for 3 months. 
The only spike I see is a sudden drop in jan and then its restored back to norm.  now that's a spike. some people need to get a grip of themselves.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1709

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 08:36:08 PM

Holy $hit the ETH difficulty just spiked like a Mother Fu#ker last night.  For it to spike that much in 12 hours is

to there big Asian customers.   Be prepared everyone for profitability to be gone

This is just variance.

Sometimes spikes like that happen when there is an alt that's more profitable than ETH that stops being profitable and people switch back.

Basically what happened with ETC this week.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
d57heinz
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011

Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 12:43:47 PM

This is just variance.

Sometimes spikes like that happen when there is an alt that's more profitable than ETH that stops being profitable and people switch back.

It may be just variance.  But I will say it is quite the spike. https://etherscan.io/chart/hashrate

Edit the way that chart looks. It appears to me ASICS came online around August. I remember a couple articles claiming they had ASICS. Everyone then said no no no.  I’m over it. Do your own research folks.  Look at bitcoin difficulty during Gpu era and look at altcoin during gpu era then the subsequent switch to ASICS.  There are legs on the diff chart that are near vertical. Those are massive amounts of hash coming on with one switch.

BR

As in nature, all is ebb and tide, all is wave motion, so it seems that in all branches of industry, alternating currents - electric wave motion - will have the sway. ~Nikola Tesla~
RYXES

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

Merit me or don't.

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 02:15:33 PM

It is worrying. Been trying to work out if they will be able to mine ETC too? I'm expecting the PoS to come very soon after the ASICs saturate the hash rate entirely.

Merit me or don't.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:16:08 PM

This is just variance.

It may be just variance.  But I will say it is quite the spike. https://etherscan.io/chart/hashrate

Edit the way that chart looks. It appears to me ASICS came online around August. I remember a couple articles claiming they had ASICS. Everyone then said no no no.  I’m over it. Do your own research folks.  Look at bitcoin difficulty during Gpu era and look at altcoin during gpu era then the subsequent switch to ASICS.  There are legs on the diff chart that are near vertical. Those are massive amounts of hash coming on with one switch.

BR

What happened is that ETH price kept climbing, while AMD cards got way expensive due to lack of supply and a few folks ever started buying Nvidia cards - but the supply of cards did NOT keep up with the price climb so the hashrate KEPT climbing 'till the price drop around mid-Feb - at which point ETH hashrate has almost flattened out other than normal day-to-day "luck" variation and the variations when other "basket of equal profitability" coin or coins have a price jump or drop causing folks and autoswitch software to change coins.

I don't see ANY point of "near vertical" on the chart, especially after expanding it out.

*IF* anyone actually released an ASIC for ETH, it should also work on ETC or any other ethhash/daggerhashimoro algorithm based coin just like the current GPU miners do, just point at an applicable pool.

thesavoyard

Activity: 560
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:37:57 PM

I hope they make the ASIC and then go bankrupt.

https://coincentral.com/when-will-ethereum-mining-end/

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: