Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:48:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux is such a horrible OS (for casual users)  (Read 7012 times)
jarhed (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:07:44 AM

There was never sufficient reason to install Linux except now I mine btc and the universe is telling me I have to know Linux.

I do admit, antihooking Windows process was starting to get annoying. Nothing moves on my system without my knowledge.

If you don't use software that has no linux alternative or you're not a gamer, I'd say the transition can be quick.

Check http://alternativeto.net/ for alternatives for the stuff you use.

I tried gaming in Wine, that didn't go so well. I think that was definitive motion that kept me on Windows. I even tried gaming in VMware install in ubuntu and got error msg about incompatible vid driver or what not.

The only game I play lately is daytrading.  Cry, Growing up sucks.
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:09:19 AM

linux is not your everyday instant coffee. You have to dry it, roast it, grind it before you can enjoy a smooth coffee.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:12:28 AM

windowz isn't safe from a java bot either. And it is not safe from a whole bunch of other things.

In any case, it is the freedom that is the primary issue. not security.

Here is my hero vs. yours if you will:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFMMXRoSxnA

Hey, Bill Gates is a good guy, at least he is doing something good with the money.

RMS is also one of my heroes.

He got the Linus Torvalds prize when, in reality, it should be the other way around...

jarhed (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:13:09 AM

I wish you luck with trojans if you'll keep bitcoins in that machine my little troll friend...

Some people prefer a false sense of convenience and security over freedom. The others use linux and bitcoins to change the world.

Linux isn't safe from a Java bot, so keep dreaming.

windowz isn't safe from a java bot either. And it is not safe from a whole bunch of other things.

In any case, it is the freedom that is the primary issue. not security.

I think you missed the point.

Windows sucks
Linux sucks

Anything that keeps me glued to my chair sucks.

I'm a miner, there's only one first with being a miner.
So, I'm here learning how to mine efficiently, and that sucks, coz I'm glued to my chair.
gurcani

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:37:18 AM

I think you missed the point.

ok, I guess you're right.

I hope you have some asic hadware if you are setting up for mining btw.

But seriously watch the interview. Even though the interviewer is infinitely annoying, stallman handles him well. Who knows, It may give you a positive perspective on what you're trying to do. You'll still loose the same amount of time, but maybe you'll be less pissed off about it.

If you're windowz person and ever consider linux, I think ubuntu or mint should be the way to go (though clearly the best distro is arch linux). You can do the whole mining thing under windowz, but if you won't play games on that computer, investing in learning linux will benefit you in the long run (as an example, I recall mining some altcoins with very low diff, while windowz users were cursing the developers for not publishing and exe file).

Think of it kinda like zen and the art of motorcycle maintainence... If you just want your motorcycle to work without any problems and take it to a mechanic when it doesn't work, you won't get the same intellectual satisfaction from using it if you know how to repair it and spent a lot of time handling all its parts.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:51:15 AM

(...) (though clearly the best distro is arch linux) (...)

Are you trying to start a war here?  Cheesy

skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 03:35:33 AM

You took the wrong distro if that is your opinion. Never met anyone who couldn't find his way around in Ubuntu for example.

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 04:29:16 AM

osx is basically linux done right
gurcani

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 04:35:15 AM

yeah, my mom uses ubuntu...

I use arch with evilwm as wm. I have been using evilwm for the last 7 years or so. Arch for the last 2-3 years.

I went from slackware to debian to gentoo to arch (shows my age). I gave up debian because of dependency hell. Gentoo was great at first, but recently they managed to make a mess in portage. The qt inter-dependencies are as bad as debian.

I don't know how exactly but arch handles the dependency issue really smoothly. I think the dual approach with pacman and aur is also the way to go if you want to have some stuff bleeding edge, but not necessarily everything.
gurcani

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 04:42:12 AM

osx is basically linux done right

Except that you have a single wm (no choice), and you are digitally handcuffed to use their stuff for a lot of things. Probably Apple and NSA are also spying on you through the backdoors built into their proprietary closed source components.
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 04:53:49 AM

does not matter, it's like 20 times better than windows which is 20 times better than linux.
gurcani

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 05:22:34 AM

does not matter, it's like 20 times better than windows which is 20 times better than linux.

in what? sucking?
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 06:21:15 AM

Windows is fine if you take the proper security precautions. Good luck with playing games on osx/linux that aren't snake/tetris.
Zeek_W

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 06:30:37 AM

linux is not your everyday instant coffee. You have to dry it, roast it, grind it before you can enjoy a smooth coffee.

This is a great analogy for Linux!

I am fairly OS agnostic and run Windows, OSX and a various number of Linux flavours. I do admit my foundation is in Microsoft software so Windows is my primary OS, but I find some Linux OSs are great for what they are built for. I either have multiple partitions or use LiveCDs/VMs depending.

The hate on Linux and also the 'Linux is super secure' statements I hear are just speculation. The hate regarding its difficulty is probably due to unfamiliarity with the platform and not knowing best practices. I grew up on MS-DOS and as such a CLI doesn't really bother me. Some applications are better.

And just to be a douche: Windows bloat shits me to tears, and Apples overpricing is laughable.

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:31:21 AM

And just to be a douche: Windows bloat shits me to tears, and Apples overpricing is laughable.
Most Windows apps are indeed either bloated, or dependent on bloated classes or libraries (MFC, Run-time libraries, dot NET, etc.)

But you can now find some exotic compilers or programmers that do ASM or close to ASM level a bunch of apps, some may be CLI, some are actually GUI. Only problem is some of these stuff are either very low level, or high level but closed source (albeit you can sort of trust them).

The least bloated, in my experience are the classic VB compilers, or VB6. The run times are already included in WinXP, Win7 and maybe even Win8. So there is no additional bloat unless you use more than the common controls.

If you've used VB (Visual Basic), then you might have heard of PB (PowerBasic) and they even #BLOAT on purpose (Artificially inflate the disk image size of a compiled program.) Because otherwise, their compiled executables are really small.

gurcani

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:50:25 AM

Windows is fine if you take the proper security precautions. Good luck with playing games on osx/linux that aren't snake/tetris.

there is wesnoth!
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 07:54:18 AM

there is wesnoth!

I don't even know what that is.
Nik1ab

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

freedomainradio.com

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:26:25 AM

Windows is spying, so Linux is the only way for PCs.

No signature ad here, because their conditions have become annoying.
lophie

Activity: 924

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 08:53:27 AM

Hello, Just a small guy here relatively new to Linux.

I had the hypothesis that most casual users think windows is easier and more user friendly because we simply very used to Windows  in our early day dealing with computers. So I introduced Linux to my siblings and relatives of young age (Ubuntu). I taught them (none) and I just left them to use it to see how intuitive the operating system is. I even totally erased Windows from all machines (older people called me an asshole, My wife still think I am  Shocked).

Needless to say they blossomed and they cannot deal with windows anymore. Ubuntu was faster, more secure, more user friendly and simply much more awesome. Ages varies from 4 to 25, Most (To be fair, not all) are 100% Ubuntu now.

My roomate back in college is an industrial engineer, another is an electrical engineer, another is a computer engineer (<- can't say I am surprised for that guy  Grin). Now they are all 100% all the time on Ubuntu. Granted they need some tools from time to time that are just for windows with no ports but wine (winehq.org) never disappointed them.

Linux is not for the people who doesn't have life outside a machine. For casual users it is just fine. Now for relatively advanced users I agree because when you make the switch most of your windows skills are rendered useless. Until you get to learn the always more awesome alternative.

Just my opinion from my own experience. Thank you for reading.

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 11:20:45 AM

Actually, you have to go to the program website you want to download, download the program, double click, click yes you want to install, click the agreement, click next a few times, click finish, something like that.

That can take a few minutes.

Or:

apt-get install rhythmbox

And 10 seconds later it's playing music, like I said, it takes a while to learn but after you get used to it, it's much more convenient.

You forgot to mention the extra parts of the install on the windows platform. You know, the part where afterwards you need to uninstall all the spyware you've just installed as well. Then best to do a quick 3 hour virus scan.
Oh yeah, and just so your OS can insult you that little bit more, don't forget the obligatory Windows reboot. (Windows loves a reboot.)

3 hours later you can relax and enjoy your new program.

The funniest thing is people actual pay for the privilege of this. LOL

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: