Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 08:40:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mega Thread that Feeds People in Need (1M72Sfpbz1BPpXFHz9m3CdqATR44Jvaydd)  (Read 49682 times)
SeansOutpost

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 03:21:05 PM

Jason, I love the work you do!
You are a big asset to Bitcoin, and you *do* make the world a better place! Thank you!

Is this here strictly for lunchbags? Or for the outpost in general? Or for both of your projects, the outpost and satoshi forest?

Also, without trying to ruin the good mood in here: Any chance to switch from Nestlé bottled water to any other brand?

I closely follow your work, Jason, and the response on reddit and here - world, you put a smile on my face! :-)

Ente
Thanks for the love.

So, this thread was a complete surprise to me. Phin is just fucking awesome. All of the funds are being donated to our general operations address. That being said, I will use them to keep the spirit of this thread rocking and rolling. For instance, one of the first projects in the forest is building a kitchen for <BITHOC> having our own commercial kitchen and storage will actually allow us to buy at better price points, prepare more nutritious meals, and get the homeless more involved with the preparation of this food. I think everyone would agree that is in the spirit of this thread. But, as with everything we do, we will be fully transparent with what we are using funds for.

Right now they are just sitting in that address while my jaw is on the floor.

As for Nestle. Yeah, fuck nestle. I would never buy Nestle, not just because they are evil, but because they are wholly overpriced. We are cheap bastards who BLEED a bitcent for good. I buy the cheap water. Nestle is NEVER the cheap water. That being said, if someone gives me a dozen cases of NESTLE WATER BOTTLES, guess what we will be serving!

Beggars can't be choosers Smiley

We actually have a water filtration system in place, and want to start bottling our own. The logistics are just a bit much for us right now. Maybe once we have the kitchen online.

And I guarantee, this community puts a smile on my face just as often!

Thanks so much,

Jason King

I run Sean's Outpost a Bitcoin fueled homeless outreach in Pensacola, FL. Over 140,000 meals fed with BTC donations.You can donate to Sean's Outpost at... 38ccq12hPFoiSksxUdr6SQ5VosyjY7s9AU
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 03:33:09 PM

I have a similar good deed project Ive been meaning to do but not the funds. Need to start a soup kitchen in my community there is none. Is there anyone who would invest in such a thing even though it will be a non profit or is that not cool

Hey man, I will be happy to help you get started. Truthfully, in the beginning, you need hard work and determination much more than money. What area are you in? What's the homeless population like there? Hows the government opinion on them?

If you really want to help fight hunger in your area, email me at beinghomelessisnotacrime@gmail.com and we will figure it out.

Thank you for caring.

Jason King
Sean's Outpost

I run Sean's Outpost a Bitcoin fueled homeless outreach in Pensacola, FL. Over 140,000 meals fed with BTC donations.You can donate to Sean's Outpost at... 38ccq12hPFoiSksxUdr6SQ5VosyjY7s9AU
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 03:42:59 PM

Can you post a pic of the sandwich? Is it nutritious? Does it have enough long carbs, proteins and fats? Do you use black or white bread? Do you put pastrama and/or other meats inside of the sandwich?
Our breads are pretty good, they are fresh baked. We don't use any store bought loves if we can help it. Usually they have a good amount of whole grain. I say usually, because we are at the mercy of our supplier. What's in the sandwich varies a lot. epending on what's cheap and what's available. And we try to have variety so that we aren't serving the same thing every damn day. We did that for 2 weeks because it was uber cheap once. The feedback from the people being served was...suboptimal Smiley So we try to change it up as much as we can.

On nutrition. We do the best we can at the price point we work at. And that's pretty good considering. Our food is WAY more nutritious than the food served in public schools here. Not that it's saying much. We have a balancing act to perform here. I would ALWAYS prefer to put out high quality, nutritious, organic, awesome food. The price reality doesn't always allow for that.

And you have to realize that there is ZERO benefit to the person you want to help starving to death while you are trying to get a hold of some fair trade, organic, whole grain food.

But we can always do better. And we are always looking for ways to improve. Satoshi Forest is going to be an Organic Farm and Food Forest. That should help a lot next year.

Thanks

jason

SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 03:45:24 PM

I have a similar good deed project Ive been meaning to do but not the funds. Need to start a soup kitchen in my community there is none. Is there anyone who would invest in such a thing even though it will be a non profit or is that not cool

Yep definitely start small from your own kitchen, ask local grocery stores for food thats nearing 'use-by dates' as donations, seeing as they will be cooked up within a few days it wont go to waste. speak to the local's about donating, or getting grants.

one thing you don't want to do is to be asking for loans.

there are many ways to make funds.
community car wash
selling tickets for a community barbecue
charity auction's (sell your cooking skills to all of the single mothers for one night Cheesy)

now back on topic:
This is a great campaign happening here, once my funds are in one place ill be putting in some donations, i already see its hitting the press too, which should also help the non reddit/forum readers to contribute to it aswell.

Phinnaeus Gage: this bitcoin charity project is the best one yet, i do hope you continue idea's of this magnitude where people can clearly see the end result of their donations, as oppose to the corporate charities with paid employee's that are in existence for the last 50 years

Seans outpost(Jason): your an inspiration to us all, giving up your time to help others, with such as basic necessity. we need more guys like you around the world.

You may also find that there are a few web developers out there who may not have funds willing to donate, but may help develop your website into a bigger focal point for the world, explaining your story, how you got started and the impact it has made. (that kind of stuff).

all in all, great work guys
Thank you so much for your kind words. I feel so privileged to be part of this community. I am more amazed everyday.

And if you want press...

Our wired article is dropping tomorrow morning, so now is the time to make noise Smiley

tmbp

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 03:53:15 PM

Can you post a pic of the sandwich? Is it nutritious? Does it have enough long carbs, proteins and fats? Do you use black or white bread? Do you put pastrama and/or other meats inside of the sandwich?
Our breads are pretty good, they are fresh baked. We don't use any store bought loves if we can help it. Usually they have a good amount of whole grain. I say usually, because we are at the mercy of our supplier. What's in the sandwich varies a lot. epending on what's cheap and what's available. And we try to have variety so that we aren't serving the same thing every damn day. We did that for 2 weeks because it was uber cheap once. The feedback from the people being served was...suboptimal Smiley So we try to change it up as much as we can.

On nutrition. We do the best we can at the price point we work at. And that's pretty good considering. Our food is WAY more nutritious than the food served in public schools here. Not that it's saying much. We have a balancing act to perform here. I would ALWAYS prefer to put out high quality, nutritious, organic, awesome food. The price reality doesn't always allow for that.

And you have to realize that there is ZERO benefit to the person you want to help starving to death while you are trying to get a hold of some fair trade, organic, whole grain food.

But we can always do better. And we are always looking for ways to improve. Satoshi Forest is going to be an Organic Farm and Food Forest. That should help a lot next year.

Thanks

jason

I am not talking about organic vegan foods, more like slow digesting proteins e.g. meat so the poor guys won't faint, most of them are probably craving meat pretty bad and haven't had a proper meal for a while so I'd avoid cheese, chocolate, peanut butter & jelly or other sugary crap.

Of course anything is better than nothing so bless you good sir. Faith in humanity restored.
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 04:06:13 PM

I am not talking about organic vegan foods, more like slow digesting proteins e.g. meat so the poor guys won't faint, most of them are probably craving meat pretty bad and haven't had a proper meal for a while so I'd avoid cheese, chocolate, peanut butter & jelly or other sugary crap.

Of course anything is better than nothing so bless you good sir. Faith in humanity restored.

Yeah man. Meat every day. We try to have some vegetarian options on hand, but we generally mix up chicken, ham, turkey, bologna pastrami, and  pepperoni in some combo.

And we try to provide some kind of long acting carb like granola as well.

Thanks for caring.

Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 04:17:01 PM
Last edit: September 17, 2013, 04:46:02 PM by Ente

..one of the first projects in the forest is building a kitchen for <BITHOC>
..get the homeless more involved with the preparation of this food
..fully transparent with what we are using funds for
..We actually have a water filtration system in place, and want to start bottling our own

Awesome!
Jason, I honestly think you are writing history with this!

Even just reading your posts and updates makes me feel like it's christmas!

Any chance you could share some photos of the action? The Outpost already has such large dimensions, like the huge amount of lunchbags made, I can't imagine how it looks like when it's getting busy there! :-)
No priority, obviously.

Also, after a mere 24h, I already feel late to the party:
102: https://blockchain.info/de/tx/2179e4da2bb4abe2d4e3cb38c09de3b185141e44bc310e295da82cabfa59b197

Looking forward to shake your hand, Jason, someday, somewhere.

Ente

/edit: Ah, complicated math! :-)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 04:22:25 PM

66:72657acc01e50cc7b82fd07dff9e96b99db11517fa70c5e94c98bf38c4f7c2f5

I think it is amazing how little it takes to do so much

Awesome, dude!

Running Tally: [1,092] people fed! (no counting Ente's 102 as seen in the above post, and comment upon below)

While updating Post #2, I had Blockchain still opened on another tab due to verifying this transaction, and I heard a beep. Looks like somebody else just recently donated to Sean's Outpost, of which may or may not become part of the running tally, but I'm leaning toward it will. We'll soon see.

Update: Yep! Ente's post above this one. Now I have to do some more work. This sucks, but in a good a way.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 04:30:57 PM

..We actually have a water filtration system in place, and want to start bottling our own

Awesome!

Any chance you could share some photos of the action? The Outpost already has such large dimensions, like the huge amount of lunchbags made, I can't imagine how it looks like when it's getting busy there! :-)
No priority, obviously.

80: https://blockchain.info/de/tx/2179e4da2bb4abe2d4e3cb38c09de3b185141e44bc310e295da82cabfa59b197

Ente

Looks to me like...

102: https://blockchain.info/de/tx/2179e4da2bb4abe2d4e3cb38c09de3b185141e44bc310e295da82cabfa59b197

...since you donated 1 BTC at the current exchange rate. I'm taking the liberty and using the 102 number unless somebody sees an error I'm missing.

Thank you so kindly, Ente.

Two previous 1 BTC donations more closely equated to 100 (X $1.25) fed, hence reflecting such in Post #2. I will kindly adjust them if shown that I was mistaken at the time. I'm doing the maths as best I can, considering I have a rod...
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 05:04:53 PM

This thread is awesome. You guys are so kind.

I am in aww of the generosity here.

From the bottom of my heart. Thank you

Jason

SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 05:06:09 PM

Awesome!

No priority, obviously.

Ente

I would love to shake your hand. People like you are who make what Sean's Outpost does possible. I will never forget that. It's so awesome to do so much good with BTC.

You rock.

Jason

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 05:09:27 PM

Awesome!

No priority, obviously.

Ente

I would love to shake your hand. People like you are who make what Sean's Outpost does possible. I will never forget that. It's so awesome to do so much good with BTC.

You rock.

Jason

Ain't it amazing in what implementing a brainfart can do?
cbhelp

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 05:10:07 PM

I wil be making a small donation to this either tonight or tomorrow morning.  Good luck with this!
bitcoinchecker

Activity: 182

Provider of Bitcoin products and services

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 05:12:34 PM
Last edit: September 17, 2013, 05:42:37 PM by bitcoinchecker

Well done Jason and keep up the good work.

Have just sent 0.2BTC...

20: https://blockchain.info/tx/2b2f29bfa9900d61379c37a007619c1a9d3924dac60323b3a1c96fdd1cc0e41b

https://blockchain.info/address/1M72Sfpbz1BPpXFHz9m3CdqATR44Jvaydd

Quality Bitcoin T-shirts for sale http://thevillageidiotme.ipage.com/shop.html
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 07:47:02 PM

Thanks man. You are awesome

bitcoinstarter

Activity: 484
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 08:21:10 PM

I can't get enough of what everyone is doing to feed the homeless good karma , good karma !

We also are running a Bitcoin Crowdfunding campaign called #HoodieTheHomeless from the Bitcoin Not Bombs crew you can see their campaign here:

https://bitcoinstarter.com/projects/188

Lets help get some clothes on the back of the homeless also!
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2013, 10:18:13 PM

I wil be making a small donation to this either tonight or tomorrow morning.  Good luck with this!
Thank you for thinking of us.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 12:08:14 AM

[1,215] people fed!

Thanks a lot, bitcoinchecker. You can see this transaction in Post #2 of this thread. I'm also adding [1] to the count, showing proof in a sec of the transaction.

EDIT: Here's the proof: https://blockchain.info/de/tx/0a2fd7f328d7d838b41e3ff6566e0d058b617dce8275d616d31024e66006d99e
kopipe

Activity: 246
Merit: 124

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 12:27:04 AM

Some random Muslim ladies gave me money I didn't need last month.

http://wizardchan.org/b/res/6766.html

So, I just donated .087BTC on behalf of wizardchan.org .

https://blockchain.info/tx/123e8188bd04daedb0e56f53fe0d3fbae7c3e64b6835c95504aa7835363fd58f

コピペ copypaste
SeansOutpost

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 01:03:08 AM

Some random Muslim ladies gave me money I didn't need last month.

http://wizardchan.org/b/res/6766.html

So, I just donated .087BTC on behalf of wizardchan.org .

https://blockchain.info/tx/123e8188bd04daedb0e56f53fe0d3fbae7c3e64b6835c95504aa7835363fd58f
Lol. Hell yeah!

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: