Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 04:00:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to check if ICO is scam or not?  (Read 17430 times)
BitindaHouse

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 01:42:01 PM

Hey guys, I'm new to the whole ICO world, and BTCtalk as well. I've been reading about a lot of scammy ICOs that take people's money and run away. I'm looking to invest in a couple of ICOs but have no way of knowing if they are good or not. Can anyone tell me how I can go about doing this without losing any money?  

everything that the guys said before this is true, but even looking profiles, having studied the relevance of the project, how the developers are working on their child 100 percent confidence does not, the world of crypto currency is not yet committed, such realities)

sorrowfulnightcries

Activity: 144

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2018, 01:51:25 PM

Hey guys, I'm new to the whole ICO world, and BTCtalk as well. I've been reading about a lot of scammy ICOs that take people's money and run away. I'm looking to invest in a couple of ICOs but have no way of knowing if they are good or not. Can anyone tell me how I can go about doing this without losing any money? 

You can always check the feed backs in their campaign thread or other related thread since most people who gives their opinion there are real and unbiased people. Also I tend to search the net regarding the ICO and its team wether their profiles are real or not.

MartoValenti

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 03:54:58 PM

It is impossible to be 100 % sure if given ICO is a scam or not. The best thing that you can do is to lower the level of uncertainty. For me, when I consider an ICO I check the whitepaper, check the team !!!, also check if there is an opinion in the forum regarding this ICO. Also I check the amount of cash that the ICO has already collect and mostly, I check in the whitepaper how the tokens will be used once the platform of the ICO is life.   
gg20222

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 04:01:12 AM

How to check if ICO is scam or not? Well you should research the  ICO and look for sime projects that are a success. There you would see if the ICO is a scam or not.
SamboNZ

Activity: 1064
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 05:33:44 AM

For me you should do a lot of studying, researching and analyzing to determine if the ICO your joining is not a scam. Joining ICO's are very risky because even though they have a good white papers and projects, they might look promising, but in the end they will also end up nothing. Experience plays a vital role in determining a good and bad ICO.
Latviand

Activity: 1540
Merit: 219

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 05:46:37 AM

Well, there are way to find that the ICO's is one of the scammer or not. In the ico. There are many projects think about if it is really believable or not. Also see if there are many members too and last one you do just do surveying in the ICO you want. Collect some data if it is scam or not so for me this is my way to know if the ICO is scam or not
Xiroartoni

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:25:38 AM

It is impossible to be 100 % sure if given ICO is a scam or not. The best thing that you can do is to lower the level of uncertainty. For me, when I consider an ICO I check the whitepaper, check the team !!!, also check if there is an opinion in the forum regarding this ICO. Also I check the amount of cash that the ICO has already collect and mostly, I check in the whitepaper how the tokens will be used once the platform of the ICO is life.   

I agree with you on 200%. In addition, I will say that it is worth checking the marketing plan. Important is the soft cap and hard cap, as it makes it clear that they are pursuing. How much goes on pre-sale, how much to sell, what part of the funds will go to the development and the team, how often they will distribute them, etc. For example, I try not to participate in ICO, in which there is no hard cap and a large percentage of the team. In general, white paper should have a separate chapter on the allocation of funds. But this is not exactly true, as everyone likes to say in the crypto community.
Vit83

Activity: 644
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 06:28:46 AM

Check the team in social networks it cant be real people without some of them have old social accounts with their faces. After you will be scummed first time you will be very wary) check link to social, check advisors, check their foto in the google search. You might found that on foto there is another people)

chocolaty

Activity: 294
Merit: 14

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:29:08 AM

Been seeing the same question over and over again. Check the whitepaper, their working product, the team behind it, their roadmap and reviews of critics. Research about that company. That's pretty much all of it in plain terms.

VeeraS

Activity: 560

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:30:40 AM

you should check overall of what the developers say. everything must be learned for research in order to make sure the ico is good or leads to a scam.
everything you have to analyze, then you compare with other ico.
xda-developer

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:32:19 AM

There is no universal recipe how to identify scam. We can find excellent projects that turned out to be scam in the end. By the way bitcoin is often called scam and is still called by some persons

maman09

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:36:43 AM

For a beginner like you, it is very difficult to distinguish or learn an ico being held. I think you are still far away for that stage. you should first find various knowledge about crypto. try to find various discussions on many threads in this forum
Jannalsieh

Activity: 81

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:39:00 AM

There is no one way of checking it, as many have posted already in response to your query. But risk management would tell you to do a background check of a potential ICO, try to see if they have a lot public profile in a social medias (e.g. twitter, facebook, etc.). If they are not found in those platforms then they are hiding something and must be plotting something not good.
Also try to to check big names in the industry, big shots don't wish their names tarnished and so scam operations is the least of their priorities.
_yoshi

Activity: 280
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:41:07 AM

Read the whitepaper! If there no white paper, or they will release it later, wait untill its out. Seriouse project always have their whitepaper before they start or promote for the ICO. Meanwhile you can do some researches about the icio. Look what other people think on telegram or on this forum. Mostly when it is a scam project, you will know it very fast when you lookin at this forum. And at least check the devs and team members. Are they seriouse people with a good background or some seedy peope with questionable past?
airdrophunter

Activity: 434

The Exchange for EOS Community

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:52:57 AM

There is really no measure how to know if ICO is legit or not. There are of course scammers who are good enough to deceive people. But here's what you should do at least spot one, IMO.

1. Know the team and check them on LinkedIn.
2. Read their White Paper and check for if any:
   2.1 Unrealistic vision/goal
   2.2 Not using real pictures

3. Check if there is source code of their project available on GitHub.

|   EOS Exchange   |▌       The Exchange for the EOS Community!       |   EOSex   |
                          ICO: 15th October to 20th November  |  Free EXP Tokens: Join Bounty!                          
Whitepaper                 ANN Thread                 Telegram                 Twitter                 Mobile
Cassenan

Activity: 85

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 11:08:47 AM

This is my priority for now because i dont know on how can  i detect or check if  one of the ICO is scam  or not. Please help me guy's for this question.for a new members like me. More power to yuo all.
sjj_kleros

Activity: 124

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 11:45:31 AM

I think the general crypto public are becoming much better at spotting fake ICO's. For me, the whitepaper being well written along with a transparent team are the keys. Can you talk to the team? Are they public figures with long standing careers, or better still, university professors?

An MVP before going to sale always helps also.

illnino

Activity: 756

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 02:59:19 PM

There is no surest ways to define whether ICO project will be profitable or not. I rely on the people who organized and will develop this project. Their famous names as a guaranties for me. This is one of the ways.
maxim4eg123

Activity: 273

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 03:00:36 PM

There is a common way to read the roadmap. White paper and developer and investment views. That's the best way to identify phishing scams
arditiyan

Activity: 616

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 03:02:28 PM

actually not many ways to see these ico is a scam or not, the easiest is according to your own belief after reading whitepaper, see the roadmap, team and advisor, and take the time to see official website and telegram their channel

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: