Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 01:15:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I pay my Traffic Tickets?  (Read 8081 times)
420 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:54:44 PM

Are you saying you were pulled over or a camera got you? then lawyers are somehow notified?

I was pulled over, doing 82 in a 75, in the middle of the day, down a completely empty 2 lane highway in southern VA, middle of nowhere. Yeah, you're right, I got the ticket right away, but since it was reckless driving, it as the court summons that they mailed. For that charge you have to appear in court. Which was 5 hours south of my house. The lawyers jumped on me because all traffic tickets and such appear on VA's public website.

did you pick a lawyer?

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 10:12:40 PM

Are you saying you were pulled over or a camera got you? then lawyers are somehow notified?

I was pulled over, doing 82 in a 75, in the middle of the day, down a completely empty 2 lane highway in southern VA, middle of nowhere. Yeah, you're right, I got the ticket right away, but since it was reckless driving, it as the court summons that they mailed. For that charge you have to appear in court. Which was 5 hours south of my house. The lawyers jumped on me because all traffic tickets and such appear on VA's public website.

did you pick a lawyer?

Yeah. Picked the cheapest offer, he went to court for me, the ticket was changed to "equipment malfunction" probably by default, and I just had a $45 ticket plus the few $100 (either $200 or $300, don't remember) lawyer fee.
420 (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 10:17:52 PM

did you pick a lawyer?

Yeah. Picked the cheapest offer, he went to court for me, the ticket was changed to "equipment malfunction" probably by default, and I just had a $45 ticket plus the few $100 (either $200 or $300, don't remember) lawyer fee.

how does it relate to equipment malfunction?? like your speedometer said a lower speed

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 11:48:52 PM

At least this was actually legit speeding and, with posted speed limit signs around, you'd be at least somewhat aware of the consequences. Worst I had was in VA, where the speed limit for I95 is 75mph is some places, and the unposted law is that 80mph+ is automatically considered reckless driving. So, doing just 5mph over the speed limit, which is fairly common, instantly sets you up with threat of suspended license and jail time, or a $300 lawyer bill and reduced ticket. I got about 20 letters from lawyers even before I received the ticket itself in the mail. F'in racket.

Virginia is the most miserable state ever for speeding tickets. They will give you a ticket for going 61 in a 60 zone. I had a friend who got pulled over doing 61 in a 55 zone, and they charged him criminally. He had to drive back to Virginia to go to court, but the officer didn't show up so he got off.

My dad was driving to visit me a few days ago, and he was driving through Virginia. I got a call from him saying he was running late, because there was a car wreck, and he pulled over to provide first aid to keep a woman and her kids from bleeding out. The sheriff and medics thanked him when they arrived, and he went on his way. About a half a mile down the road, he got pulled over for doing 68 in a 60 and got a ticket.
420 (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 11:55:00 PM

At least this was actually legit speeding and, with posted speed limit signs around, you'd be at least somewhat aware of the consequences. Worst I had was in VA, where the speed limit for I95 is 75mph is some places, and the unposted law is that 80mph+ is automatically considered reckless driving. So, doing just 5mph over the speed limit, which is fairly common, instantly sets you up with threat of suspended license and jail time, or a $300 lawyer bill and reduced ticket. I got about 20 letters from lawyers even before I received the ticket itself in the mail. F'in racket.

Virginia is the most miserable state ever for speeding tickets. They will give you a ticket for going 61 in a 60 zone. I had a friend who got pulled over doing 61 in a 55 zone, and they charged him criminally. He had to drive back to Virginia to go to court, but the officer didn't show up so he got off.

My dad was driving to visit me a few days ago, and he was driving through Virginia. I got a call from him saying he was running late, because there was a car wreck, and he pulled over to provide first aid to keep a woman and her kids from bleeding out. The sheriff and medics thanked him when they arrived, and he went on his way. About a half a mile down the road, he got pulled over for doing 68 in a 60 and got a ticket.

that'll teach him to take time to help people!

Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 04:53:43 AM

Care to give any details, like where you were, what kind of posted limit there was and what was your actual speed?

80 in a 65; mild traffic, central california

I get that there are some cops that are just out there to be difficult and cause people grief but in this instance, you're 15 over the limit.

The speed limit is there for a multitude of reasons. Number one will be safety of others.

Are you saying you're so good a driver that you can drive safely at 80 whilst everyone else should drive slower?

Are you saying that everyone should be allowed to drive at 80 regardless of the safety issues?

It's always annoying to be caught but caught you were and at least on 10 other occasions. Either you need to slow down or you need to accept that you have to pay these fines.

Think of it as a charge that better drivers can pay to drive faster than everyone else if it helps you feel better.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
01BTC10
VIP

Merit: 503

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 11:01:27 AM

Care to give any details, like where you were, what kind of posted limit there was and what was your actual speed?

The speed limit is there for a multitude of reasons. Number one will be safety of others.
If you look at my video, the conclusion is that the no1 reason is to fund the state. Sometimes when the limit is too low then it's even more dangerous. Grin
420 (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 03:54:26 PM

I get that there are some cops that are just out there to be difficult and cause people grief but in this instance, you're 15 over the limit.

Are you saying you're so good a driver that you can drive safely at 80 whilst everyone else should drive slower?

Are you saying that everyone should be allowed to drive at 80 regardless of the safety issues?

It's always annoying to be caught but caught you were and at least on 10 other occasions. Either you need to slow down or you need to accept that you have to pay these fines.

Think of it as a charge that better drivers can pay to drive faster than everyone else if it helps you feel better.

a majority of cars were driving 75-85. Yes I am such a good driver as well.

yes everyone should be allowed to drive at least 90 I'd say.

If everyone were paying every time they exceeding the 'speed limit' either they wouldn't speed or they'd work to change the laws; and i hope the latter.

The quicker we get off the road the less traffic congestion which is a big problem in california

If you look at my video, the conclusion is that the no1 reason is to fund the state. Sometimes when the limit is too low then it's even more dangerous. Grin

Does this mean you created that video?

Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 04:33:39 PM

The quicker we get off the road the less traffic congestion which is a big problem in california
Well, it's not that easy.
Traffic jams and accidents are more likely if there are big speed differences between cars.

01BTC10
VIP

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 04:37:42 PM

Does this mean you created that video?
No, it only means that sometime I lack proper English writing skills.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 05:12:44 PM

100% agree there.... 
420 (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 06:14:41 PM

Well, it's not that easy.
Traffic jams and accidents are more likely if there are big speed differences between cars.

The main problem is inherent; too many cars and too little road.

See the autobahn. Great diversity in driving speed; less accidents and less jams

Marbit

Activity: 686

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 09:22:53 PM

i don't pay traffic tickets.  Smiley
01BTC10
VIP

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 09:32:06 PM

I don't get caught when speeding. Well, only once in 12 years  Grin
Axios
Donator

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

Axios Foundation

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 09:42:19 PM

The main problem is inherent; too many cars and too little road.

See the autobahn. Great diversity in driving speed; less accidents and less jams

Um... European drivers are just better.

420 (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 09:57:04 PM

how many times have you been arrested? where

MerchantMiner

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 12:06:47 AM

First of all I am not a lawyer. Follow this strategy at your own risk.

I have seen this strategy used successfully before fighting tickets. basically it goes like this...

You get to court, you are allowed to speak and you ask the judge...

"Do I have a right to a fair and impartial hearing in this court today?"

The judge should reply in the affirmative. Then you will ask...

"Your honor who is bringing fourth this complaint against me today?"

He will reply "The State of California."

You will then ask...

"Your honor who do you represent here today?"

He will reply:

"The State of California."

You then ask:

"Your honor, if the plaintiff here today is The State of California, and you represent The State of California, how is it possible for me to receive a fair hearing today in this court?"

He at this point has two choices...
1. He dismisses the case and leaves the court with his robes in a bunch.

2. He really hits you hard with everything he can think of such as maximum punishments for your ticket, contempt of court, etc. You might think this is a loss, but this is really a win. Why is that? Because if he continues with the charges after you have demonstrated the hearing is impartial you put the judge into the realm of PERSONAL CIVIL LIABILITY, meaning you can now sue the piss out of him and take HIS SHIT. They usually know this and use the threats as a form of intimidation. At this point you could remind him of his civil liability, or you could let him heap on the charges and then take all his crap later when you sue him. Obviously this option is only useful if you wish to actually sue him.

Again follow this strategy at your own risk. I am not a lawyer. I have however seen pissed off judges storm out of the court room after a scenario like this.

This works in the UK , check out Freeman of the Land , John Harris on youtube . our law is what created your law , we gave the USA the blueprint for the Constitution , we have the Magna Carta
420 (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 12:17:05 AM

We're supposed to have the magna carta too

Marbit

Activity: 686

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 08:40:55 AM

how many times have you been arrested? where
baltimore area. ive been picked up 3 times because of tickets over the years. they can't take what they can't find. blood from stones.  Cheesy
randomcloud

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 12:56:47 PM

To anyone with legal knowledge:

Couldn't the OP just move to another state if he really didn't want to pay the tickets and was willing to accept a warrant?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: