Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 07:25:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RAM-Reduction & Backup Center Testing (version 0.89.99.16)  (Read 41219 times)
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 01:24:04 PM

Also, is there a way to automatically sweep the change back into the original address?  So if I'm using a vanity address I can happily use it on many devices.

You can use custom change behavior in Armory by switching to "Expert" usermode.  Then when you create a transaction, you can specify that you want the change to be sent back to the first input address, or specify another address.  You can also choose to have it remember the setting so you won't have to re-select it for each transaction.

Hope that helps!

You the man! (you know that don't you) Smiley

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
winnetou

Activity: 361
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 06:42:41 PM

Is this version already safe to use for managing (creating & broadcasting) offline transactions?

Or should I wait until the final release!?
DobZombie

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:35:01 PM

The Build database and scan doesn't make it to 100%.

At some point, it crashes and I gotta start again Sad

The stand alone version crashed a bit less

I'm running Windows 8 if that helps.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 07:04:16 PM

I don't know if this is the problem, but you can run it with "--rebuild" which will delete the database and start over from scratch (Bitcoin-Qt DB will still be there, so it will only take 1-2 hours to do a rebuild).  I'm curious if doing a full rebuild fixes it for you.  So far, I haven't seen any one need it yet, but if you have no other choice, you should try it.

Is this version already safe to use for managing (creating & broadcasting) offline transactions?

Or should I wait until the final release!?

It's safe to use for executing offline transactions.  I'm just not 100% confident that the backups will be the same as the final version.  I know it creates a frustrating dynamic, because I need people to help test the backups, but I have to tell them not to rely on them yet.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
SimonBelmond

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:33:37 PM

I don't know if this is the problem, but you can run it with "--rebuild" which will delete the database and start over from scratch (Bitcoin-Qt DB will still be there, so it will only take 1-2 hours to do a rebuild).  I'm curious if doing a full rebuild fixes it for you.  So far, I haven't seen any one need it yet, but if you have no other choice, you should try it.

Seems to do the job for me. Tried 50 times before and always stuck at 1%. Now already at 3% after 3 min. Thanks for the advice.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 08:37:48 PM

Seems to do the job for me. Tried 50 times before and always stuck at 1%. Now already at 3% after 3 min. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for identifying how much more work I have to do to get this version stable Undecided

It's tough getting my brain back into the game after 2-3 weeks of vacation!

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
SimonBelmond

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:48:21 PM

Thanks for identifying how much more work I have to do to get this version stable Undecided

I was going to write before that I wish that you had a nice honeymoon. Then I thought: I cant do that because I don't know if it was already over. Anyway. Hope you and your wife had a good wedding and enjoyed the time off.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:49:45 PM

Off topic if I may, but I'm curious: how did you learn of the SR news? Smiley (assuming you did!)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 09:13:47 PM

There is no problem using the new/testing version to create transactions to be signed offline and then broadcast.  The nice thing about the offline system is that you can always keep an old, stable version on there, and it will notice if something is wrong.  For instance, if online Armory does not construct the addresses properly, the offline system will throw an error, or display a different address than you were expecting. 

The online-offline split provides an extra layer of protection against both malicious attacks, and bugs!   But so far I've used it for multiple online and offline transactions, and I have other people helping test with no reports of issues beyond the usability ones.  If you're really paranoid, just make sure you read the confirmation dialogs closely and verify the addresses match.  Those dialogs haven't changed at all, so they are reliable at reporting what is actually in the transaction you are about to execute.

justmyname

Activity: 389

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 11:27:36 PM

I have 4G of Ram. Is their an online version of Armory that will work with 4G? Or should I just wait? 
SimonBelmond

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 03:54:11 AM

I have 4G of Ram. Is their an online version of Armory that will work with 4G? Or should I just wait? 

Works like a charm for me with 4GB.
DobZombie

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 09:25:38 AM

That did the job! Program hasn't crashed on me either.  I gotta say, I'm pretty happy!

e4xit

Activity: 302

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 09:51:06 AM

Is it possible to install 0.89.99.5 on an offline machine to use as the offline component, as I would like to generate backups using the new m of n backup system, but don't want to do this on my online machine...

My offline (netbook - very low power) is running Ubuntu 10.04 currently, but this could be changed if needed...

Would it just be a case of installing all the dependencies and then compiling and running the app from the terminal as I have been doing on my VM (which I talked about earlier in the this thread), or would I be able to compile on my (fast) online machine and then transfer the binaries over to the offline machine and run like that...?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I am learning a lot of this as I go along...  Cheesy

So questions:
Will this run on ubuntu 10.04?
Can I precomplie on a different (more powerful) machine and transfer over binaries or .deb files or something to my crappy netbook

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 11:40:07 AM

I'm just not 100% confident that the backups will be the same as the final version.  I know it creates a frustrating dynamic, because I need people to help test the backups, but I have to tell them not to rely on them yet.

When will you decide this? I would love to use the m-of-n paper backup.
SimonBelmond

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 07:09:58 AM

I'm just not 100% confident that the backups will be the same as the final version.  I know it creates a frustrating dynamic, because I need people to help test the backups, but I have to tell them not to rely on them yet.

When will you decide this? I would love to use the m-of-n paper backup.

I think the paper backup should have an option to have no identifying information other than the codes.  If someone finds the paper backup it clearly states it is a backup for a Bitcoin wallet.  If it is just a string of numbers of letters most people are not going to know what it is if they find it.

Should be configurable though. The backup slip which is going into the inheritance needs to be clear on beeing a cryptocurrency key backup.
justmyname

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 09:41:05 AM

MY computer goes into hibernation when downloading the Block Chain for the first time. Unless I am using the computer. Then has to start over each time. Computer is so slow when running it.
SimonBelmond

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 10:16:51 AM

MY computer goes into hibernation when downloading the Block Chain for the first time. Unless I am using the computer. Then has to start over each time. Computer is so slow when running it.

Adjust it in the power settings in your control panel.
justmyname

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 10:36:48 PM

That seems to have worked. I was going to try that but I didn't know where it was on windows 7. Thanks.

I wonder if a Chrome book will work for an offline wallet? Their only $200. 
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2013, 10:52:22 PM

That seems to have worked. I was going to try that but I didn't know where it was on windows 7. Thanks.

We will eventually have something that works on the Android platform.  Until then, it's not going to work.  But it is a natural fit:  I was able to get the Craig 10" Chromebook, CLP281 for $40!  I haven't seen a deal that good since then, but it looks like you can still get one for $80-$100.  That might end up being cheaper than a HW wallet too (Trezor, BitSafe).  More flexibility, but not quite as convenient.

Btw, I'm not currently using it:  I impulse purchased it assuming I could wipe it and put linux on it, but it turned out to be a royal PITA to do that.  Instead, I'll just have to use its presence in my house as motivation to work on the Android app Smiley

justmyname

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 11:59:11 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2013, 01:32:50 AM by justmyname

We will eventually have something that works on the Android platform.  Until then, it's not going to work.  But it is a natural fit:  I was able to get the Craig 10" Chromebook, CLP281 for $40!  I haven't seen a deal that good since then, but it looks like you can still get one for $80-$100.  That might end up being cheaper than a HW wallet too (Trezor, BitSafe).  More flexibility, but not quite as convenient.

Btw, I'm not currently using it:  I impulse purchased it assuming I could wipe it and put linux on it, but it turned out to be a royal PITA to do that.  Instead, I'll just have to use its presence in my house as motivation to work on the Android app Smiley

This looks pretty close. It has windows 7 but it might not be 64 bit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-1-inch-Windows-7-Notebook-1-5GHz-LCD-4GB-ROM-Camera-WiFi-Pink-White-black-/331035876688?pt=Laptops_Nov05&var=&hash=item4d13469d50

I could probably just put an operating system on a thumb drive like others are doing instead. If it goes bad it won't matter. just reload onto another thumb drive  and use back ups.  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: