Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:39:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RAM-Reduction & Backup Center Testing (version 0.89.99.16)  (Read 41205 times)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 11:09:33 PM

Just noticed that the version in git displays version 0.90 now. Is this the official release?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 01:00:07 AM
Last edit: November 27, 2013, 01:21:50 AM by etotheipi

Just noticed that the version in git displays version 0.90 now. Is this the official release?

Semi-official.  I'm going to let this release ferment silently for a few days, and make sure I got everything right, before pushing out notifications.  I was planning to push them out right away, but I've had too many instances of stupid things that need to be fixed and I don't want to spam users any more than necessary.

Probably push notifications and official announcement on Friday or Monday.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
HowlingMad

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:00:04 AM

I have an interesting problem.  I am running 0.89.99... on Debian v2.26.32

I created a send transaction and after 70 minutes the status for the transaction "Not in the blockchain yet".  The transaction never gets sent.

What's up?

Windows 10, R280x * 3
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 02:12:32 AM

Right-click on the transaction and "View on Blockchain.info".  If the transaction was broadcast properly, you'll see it on blockchain.info.  If not, go to "Help" -> "Clear all unconfirmed" and then send/broadcast your transaction again.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 04:33:38 PM

I'm just not 100% confident that the backups will be the same as the final version.  I know it creates a frustrating dynamic, because I need people to help test the backups, but I have to tell them not to rely on them yet.

When will you decide this? I would love to use the m-of-n paper backup.

Have you decided this now?
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 07:10:07 PM

I'm just not 100% confident that the backups will be the same as the final version.  I know it creates a frustrating dynamic, because I need people to help test the backups, but I have to tell them not to rely on them yet.

M-of-N backups are available in the current testing release

Kyune

Activity: 287
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:17:28 PM

M-of-N backups are available in the current testing release
Yes, but the quoted statement from etotheipi suggested the possibility that the fragmented-backup format might yet change between testing version and release version.  That ambiguity hasn't been removed by a clear statement, although it seems unlikely that the format is going to change given how close we are to release of a new non-testing version.

BTC:  1K4VpdQXQhgmTmq68rbWhybvoRcyNHKyVP
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:56:44 PM

Yes, but the quoted statement from etotheipi suggested the possibility that the fragmented-backup format might yet change between testing version and release version.  That ambiguity hasn't been removed by a clear statement, although it seems unlikely that the format is going to change given how close we are to release of a new non-testing version.

I think he was making reference to the new paper backup format, exporting only the root key instead of root key + chaincode. M of N backups were not available to public at the time of that post, if memory serves right.

Regardless, the current M of N backups are only available as part of test builds, you're better off waiting for a release build before shoving the GDP of Zimbabwe into one of those babies =P. You're welcome to abuse them with cheap change or testnet coins, however.

Missionary

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 10:00:53 PM

I think he was making reference to the new paper backup format, exporting only the root key instead of root key + chaincode. M of N backups were not available to public at the time of that post, if memory serves right.

Regardless, the current M of N backups are only available as part of test builds, you're better off waiting for a release build before shoving the GDP of Zimbabwe into one of those babies =P. You're welcome to abuse them with cheap change or testnet coins, however.

I created a new wallet on my offline computer and printed a 5 of 6 backup. I then deleted the wallet and restored from the printed backups. There where no problems and the addresses that I created were the same as before. Are you saying that I have missed something and that I should not rely on that paper wallet for my small-country-sized-savings?

I am an evangelical missionary heading to China. Donations are welcome here (dedicated wallet): 1H8iswayfTaRb6oe2WjMCRmchBJHYyfx9z
You can find more information about my plans here: http://btcmission.com
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:02:42 AM

I created a new wallet on my offline computer and printed a 5 of 6 backup. I then deleted the wallet and restored from the printed backups. There where no problems and the addresses that I created were the same as before. Are you saying that I have missed something and that I should not rely on that paper wallet for my small-country-sized-savings?

Let me put it to you from our perspective. Recently we are getting a wave a new users who download Armory, shove their coins into it and then figure out they don't know how to use it, then spam us with emails like "help me please".

As with any new feature relating to wallets, please be sure to test it extensively, get familiar with the feature and acquire a solid understanding of how to use it before resorting to hold your funds with it.

While the testing phase on the M-of-N backups is satisfactory, even knowing that it'll be part of the next release, do not forget that the current builds are, as the name says, for testing purpose. I hope this clarifies the point.

Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 05:58:34 PM

M of N backups were available to the public at that time.
thewayshegoes

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 06:19:53 PM

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is this version out of the testing phase now?

Asking this because I see a beta version 0.90 available for download on the Armory website, and don't recall seeing it there a couple days ago.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 08:38:12 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299684.msg3729739#msg3729739

halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:03:44 AM

I had been eagerly awaiting the new version, thinking that it wouldn't bog down my computer like the old one did, but it still seems to be doing that.  Granted, I only have 5 GB of RAM, which is why I essentially stopped using Armory for a while, but in theory that wasn't supposed to be an issue any more.

Is this just something that happens the first time it's loaded in a while, or is even a computer with 5 GB of RAM too slow to properly use Armory?  I waited until it finished building databases, but since I'm going to sleep soon and didn't want to wait another hour, I didn't wait to see how it'd behave after it finishes scanning transaction history.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 10:54:01 AM

I had been eagerly awaiting the new version, thinking that it wouldn't bog down my computer like the old one did, but it still seems to be doing that.  Granted, I only have 5 GB of RAM, which is why I essentially stopped using Armory for a while, but in theory that wasn't supposed to be an issue any more.

Is this just something that happens the first time it's loaded in a while, or is even a computer with 5 GB of RAM too slow to properly use Armory?  I waited until it finished building databases, but since I'm going to sleep soon and didn't want to wait another hour, I didn't wait to see how it'd behave after it finishes scanning transaction history.

The first time that new version starts (0.89+), it has to build its database. This is a heavy process. Once it is past that point, restarting Armory should take less than a minute + whatever time it'll take BitcoinQt to sync with the network (at this point the time it take to scan the new blocks is obsolete).

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 04:04:19 PM

I forgot to make the RAM usage for that first build configurable (or at least dynamically adjustable based on available RAM).  But right now it should only use 1 GB to build the DB.  However it is likely to slow things down because it's doing very heavy disk accessing. But after that process is done, it should only use 200-300 MB, and start up very quickly. And not station the system much at all.

Please let us know if your experience differs significantly.

halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 01:06:14 AM

I forgot to make the RAM usage for that first build configurable (or at least dynamically adjustable based on available RAM).  But right now it should only use 1 GB to build the DB.  However it is likely to slow things down because it's doing very heavy disk accessing. But after that process is done, it should only use 200-300 MB, and start up very quickly. And not station the system much at all.

Please let us know if your experience differs significantly.

Thanks for the update.  It was slow initially, but now that the scanning transaction history part is done, it's pretty quick again.  Good work.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Gryph

Activity: 49

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:23:16 AM

Hi!

Just installed the new version (0.90) but it keeps getting stuck at the "building databases" part with "15 seconds" left.

I tried "rebuild and rescan databases" in the help menu and it builds up to 99% again but keeps getting stuck with "15 seconds" left. I left it on for a full day but it never budged, then it started giving a crapload of "bitcoin-qt disconnected" errors.

I'm using windows 8 64-bit with 32GB of ram and a 256GB SSD.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 04:37:32 PM

Hi!

Just installed the new version (0.90) but it keeps getting stuck at the "building databases" part with "15 seconds" left.

I tried "rebuild and rescan databases" in the help menu and it builds up to 99% again but keeps getting stuck with "15 seconds" left. I left it on for a full day but it never budged, then it started giving a crapload of "bitcoin-qt disconnected" errors.

I'm using windows 8 64-bit with 32GB of ram and a 256GB SSD.

Send a log file to support at bitcoinarmory com

Gryph

Activity: 49

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:38:42 PM

Sent! Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: