Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:21:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which platform should Hive tackle next?
Desktop Windows - 15 (68.2%)
Desktop Linux - 1 (4.5%)
Chrome App - 3 (13.6%)
Other - 3 (13.6%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing Hive, a beautiful new wallet for Mac OS X  (Read 140948 times)
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 10:47:12 AM

Will hiveJS ever have something like a username and password, or will it always be the 12 word phrase and pin?

I like the PIN, but not the 12 word phrase.

Just to add to the 12 word phrase. FYI this is known as BIP0039, and is used for generating seeds with over 128 bits - 256 bits of entropy. (You could utilize it for larger amounts, but 256 bits of entropy is a 24 word phrase, any longer would be hard to remember)

So the hive-js 12 word phrase is 128bits of entropy to create the seed. Plus it uses a key derivation algorithm to prevent (aka slow down) brute forcing.

User-name and password schemes require trust with the server of the service.

the 12 word phrase you have is nearly impossible to brute force, and you can use it on any device with hive-js.  In fact, the Android app Wallet32 uses the same algorithms, so you can input your 12 word phrase into it and use the exact same addresses as your hive-js wallet.

No server will ever store your private keys, they will only exist wherever you have placed the 12 word phrase. The 4-digit PIN is used to encrypt those words and save them on your device.

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 10:51:49 AM

Any plans/eta of porting bip 32/39 to android?
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 10:54:09 AM

This +1

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
jsuder

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 12:33:53 PM

I'm not sure about Android, but we definitely plan to bring BIP32 to Hive OSX in the summer/autumn - we're waiting for this to be included in a stable bitcoinj release, and then we'll have to spend some time adapting the UI to that.

Former main developer of Hive Mac | @kuba_suder at Twitter
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
July 20, 2014, 05:20:14 PM

HD support (BIP 32 and 39) in bitcoinj is practically ready to enter beta and get real testing from real users: we're just waiting for the Bouncy Castle folks to release a much faster version of their library (because HDW means calculating far more keys than before).

For Hive, I think preparing a preview/beta of HD wallets would be quite easy at this point.
hivewallet (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 325

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 02:34:45 PM

Hive now has a public chat room on Skype. Come by and talk with us!

http://is.gd/Vf0hcW (yes, that opens the room in Skype)

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 03:43:32 PM

Hive now has a public chat room on Skype. Come by and talk with us!

http://is.gd/Vf0hcW (yes, that opens the room in Skype)

I don't think I have permission to talk!

hivewallet (OP)

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 04:20:30 PM

Try again please?

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 04:42:44 PM

Try again please?

Nope. Whenever I type a message and hit enter, nothing happens.

hivewallet (OP)

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 04:27:23 PM

As of today, we are looking for translators for Hive Web and Hive iOS!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=722983;all

e4xit

Activity: 302

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 01:17:19 PM

HD support (BIP 32 and 39) in bitcoinj is practically ready to enter beta and get real testing from real users: we're just waiting for the Bouncy Castle folks to release a much faster version of their library (because HDW means calculating far more keys than before).

For Hive, I think preparing a preview/beta of HD wallets would be quite easy at this point.

hivewallet do you have any update on this? I am trying to help a hivewallet user and spent quite a bit of time talking about change addresses and using a new address each time (for privacy reasons) only to find out afterwards that Hive does not support even generating new addresses!?

Anyway, once I had got over my disbelief I decided to try and find out what is going on with that and as best as I understand it, this was taked about back in 2013 as being "upcoming", now Mike Hearn is saying that it will be "quite easy at this point", and looking at your github it seems that there has been recent discussion on this. So, I am just wondering where you guys are with this?

And if, as I guess you are, you have it in the pipeline soon, when might that be do you think?

Anyway, thanks for making a nice user-friendly wallet  Wink

P.s I could not find any test/testing/dev branches on you github, as I thought it might have been implemented in there already, but I am quite a github amateur....

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 02:04:04 PM

hivewallet do you have any update on this? I am trying to help a hivewallet user and spent quite a bit of time talking about change addresses and using a new address each time (for privacy reasons) only to find out afterwards that Hive does not support even generating new addresses!?

Anyway, once I had got over my disbelief I decided to try and find out what is going on with that and as best as I understand it, this was taked about back in 2013 as being "upcoming", now Mike Hearn is saying that it will be "quite easy at this point", and looking at your github it seems that there has been recent discussion on this. So, I am just wondering where you guys are with this?

And if, as I guess you are, you have it in the pipeline soon, when might that be do you think?
Sorry, I didn't have time for this yet. It's coming in the next couple of months definitely, but hard to say when exactly. Mike has been working on support for BIP32 wallets in bitcoinj for months, but it only recently got to a usable state, and there still was no stable official release with BIP32 support.

In the meantime, you can use Hive Web (or soon Hive iOS) which supports BIP32 from day one.

e4xit

Activity: 302

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 09:05:06 AM

Sorry, I didn't have time for this yet. It's coming in the next couple of months definitely, but hard to say when exactly. Mike has been working on support for BIP32 wallets in bitcoinj for months, but it only recently got to a usable state, and there still was no stable official release with BIP32 support.

In the meantime, you can use Hive Web (or soon Hive iOS) which supports BIP32 from day one.

OK cool that is very interesting. Thanks for the update and again thanks for your work on this. Perhaps I will suggest that the user I am helping with this wallet donate a (small) amount of BTC to you guys to help with the project and to act as a test send for him, do you have a public donate address?

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
Michael Jackson

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 09:53:12 AM

really nice design ! modern looks ! interested
this will really save ?
hivewallet (OP)

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2014, 11:13:44 AM

OK cool that is very interesting. Thanks for the update and again thanks for your work on this. Perhaps I will suggest that the user I am helping with this wallet donate a (small) amount of BTC to you guys to help with the project and to act as a test send for him, do you have a public donate address?

The donation address for Hive for OS X (Hive for Mac) specifically is 1wdERgJVZhqeUVTWGmZqdorLGtFVzF1xy

hivewallet (OP)

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2014, 11:14:14 AM

this will really save ?

All we can really say is, we use it every day!

Bitcoin Warrior

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 11:55:29 AM

this will really save ?

All we can really say is, we use it every day!
i try them and work good . i love looks .
great work !
Mr.Beetr00t

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 01:44:03 PM

Now that the Trezor hardware has officially been released, do you plan on adding support for it in Hive in the near future?
jsuder

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 01:45:12 PM

Now that the Trezor hardware has officially been released, do you plan on adding support for it in Hive in the near future?
Definitely at some point in the future, but probably not soon...

hivewallet (OP)

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2014, 11:20:06 PM

Hive for iOS is released!

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=906990301&mt=8

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: